Her Last Wish

By xLittleMonstahX

Alice Denvar is DYING. She is suffering from gastric cancer and life is slowly and painfully slipping away fr... More

Chapter 1- Part 1 of 2
Chapter 1- Part 2 of 2
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 - Part 1 of 2
Chapter 8 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Part 1 of 2
Chapter 11 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15- Part 1 of 2
Chapter 15 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19 - Part 1
Chapter 19 - Part 2
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 18

1.4K 19 12
By xLittleMonstahX

Hi everyone!

Decided to write this and post early as I'll be unable to write for the next two weeks. Finals and thesis are happening while I'll be away. So here's a long chapter to compromise the waiting. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by to read this! 

xo Sandra 

Chapter 18

Time was ticking.

Where had Drew been?

He was gone again. I could not fathom why Drew disappeared once more. The last time I had seen him was that night when he came to see me about my illness. He never showed for school again –never even called. Several ideas occurred to me as reasons for his disappearance; perhaps he was afraid to see me now that he had found that there was no hope for my survival; perhaps he was in hiding from those men –the men who would stop at nothing for his arrest; or perhaps they had finally caught him. I refused to believe that Drew found himself in captivity. Drew was smart. He was cunning.

But I had to find him. I needed to speak with him. There were things I had to ask him. What had I really known about McKinley and his men? There needed to be something –or someone—that I would be able to use. I desperately needed information on Powell. Whenever I had been on the verge of formulating a plan, everything leads back to Drew.

I was certain I could not tell him. What goodness would that bring? Drew was aware that these men had been after him. I assumed that this was the reason for his constant disappearance; although I had not the slightest clue where he had disappeared to. But he could never know that I was involved. That was what I feared most; for Drew to know. His knowledge of my involvement would not lighten the situation –perhaps it would only worsen it. It would hurt Drew more than imaginable; he would hurt as I had now. I did not have the right to put him in a situation where he had to choose between me and his life. I could not allow for him to do so. If he decided upon choosing me over himself, I would be responsible for his captivity and live what remains of my life in guilt. If he chose himself over me, I would be grateful for he would be safe. But what would become of Amy?

I honestly no longer cared what would happen to me. My health was deteriorating every passing day; my illness was taking over ever so slowly. I was certain now more than ever that I no longer had time to waste. Soon enough as Dr. Woodland said, I would no longer be in the right condition to attend school. The thought was depressing; I could no longer see Bianca or Stefani. I could no longer see students and professors whose faces I had grown to become familiar with. I was frightened. Not of death but what would become soon after. How much pain would my death bring my family? And now, Drew?

I sighed before propelling myself up from where I had positioned myself for the past half hour. I flushed the disgusting vomit that had flooded the toilet –vomit that had now come with blood. Disgusting. I examined my skin; I was growing paler and paler. My face felt sunken, more so than ever. Whenever I had caught a glimpse of my reflection, it was as though my cheekbones were nearly ripping the skin that rested upon them. I concealed them under heavy make-up which oddly the entire female population of the school imitated. The students claimed it was clever; the look of the year. I laughed at the thought of their shallowness.

I rummaged for my pain medication, drinking a few tablets before getting dressed. School was to start in an hour and in that time I had to get rid of the acrid smell that came with the bile. As I finally felt as though I was ready and vomit-free, I headed to East Delton High.

“Alice! Hey!” Bianca bellowed from across the parking lot. She had the same smug expression she had on since day one and was making her way towards me as fast as her pumps had allowed. “Unbelievable!” she exclaimed, as she finally reached talking distance. “What have you done to our female population?” she asked in mock horror.

I smiled half-heartedly, not quite caring that the student body was beginning to look like me. “Good morning to you too, B.”

Bianca slung her arm around mine and pulled me towards an isolated side of the school building. “I have something for you,” she whispered coyly, folding her arms across her chest. She stared at me with amusement, awaiting my reply.

“Okay, what and where is it?” I responded, suspicion arising.

She took a small piece of paper from the back pocket of her impossibly tight jeans and handed it to me. “I swear I didn’t open it.”

I cocked my head to the side subconsciously, for I had not expected a note from anyone. As I flipped the paper over I read my name written in an unmistakable handwriting. Drew. “Where...How?” I could not quite come up with a question as wheels began to turn in my head. I slipped the note quickly into my clutch, fearing that Bianca would catch a glimpse of whatever had been written inside.

“I found it on my windshield wiper this morning… together with dozens of parking tickets,” she confessed with a groan. “I seriously gotta start finding ways to pay off all those damn tickets. Anyways, I knew it was from lover boy. No one else is into passing around notes. Please, it’s not the 1900s. Ever heard of cellphones? Still, I kinda wished it was for me but like that’s ever gonna happen right?” she said with great sarcasm and a hint of envy. “I was going to read it but then you know, it might have disgusting details on whatever you guys did—“

“Bianca! No. No. We’re not like that, I swear. But thank you, for not reading it,” I said, my face flushing scarlet. “I… I’ve got to get to class. I’ll see you later,” I muttered, unable to meet Bianca’s eyes for I knew she was now more amused than ever. I headed towards the building doors before she could utter a response.

I never opened the note until school finished. I was not sure why I refused to open the note but I guess I feared anyone reading it whilst I had. All the while I had classes I could think of nothing but Drew and what the note may have contained. I could no longer make sense of the Trojan War in History or atoms in Physics. My thoughts and memories played over and over until I became dizzy.

As I headed towards home, I finally opened the note. Same park. 8pm. I need to see you.

------------------------------

Wind gushed around the nearly empty park as I arrived. It looked as I remembered it with but a few couples lingering by the benches. Leaves rustled in the distance and the hairs upon my arms rose for I had a feeling that someone was watching my every move. I searched my surroundings, looking frantically for Drew. It was not that I had been in a hurry, no. It was simply that my whole being of existence longed to see him once again.

No sign of him.

I positioned myself onto an empty bench waiting until an hour had passed yet he did not show. In that moment I felt defeated, as though I had hoped for too much. I lingered for five more minutes before finally deciding upon returning home. As I made my way to the park’s exit, it was then that I realized something. Drew never mentioned where in the park exactly he wished to meet. Maybe he meant the intersecting forest where I had found him once and where he brought me eventually. Of course, he may have considered the possibility of Stefani reading the note. Without further hesitation, I made my way to the forest. It took a long while for me to find the spot once more and I worried that he already left.

“You’re late,” I heard a familiar voice say casually.

My heart beat faster than I dared believe as I turned to meet his gaze. I headed towards him and without bothering to wait a second longer to respond, pressed my lips upon his. He returned the kiss, a smile playing upon his lips as he held me closer to him. I draped my arms around his neck as I wished to keep the distance between us as near as possible. “I missed you,” I whispered as I held on to him tighter.

“I missed you too. But I reckon if you do not loosen your grip I may not be able to breathe,” he replied amused.

I laughed, apologizing before I broke away only to find myself lost once again in his deep violet eyes. “Where have you been?” I asked, not bothering to hide the concern that crept into my voice. It pained me to even consider for a moment that he found himself in harm’s way.

His forehead creased as he stroked my cheek. “I think you know, love,” he said with a sad smile etched upon his beautiful lips.

My expression mirrored his as I thought about what he meant. “Keeping under the radar?” I questioned, uncertain of how he would react.

He said nothing his gaze shifting into the surrounding forest.

 I took his silence as confirmation. “If you were out hiding, why would you risk being caught only to see me?” I asked softly, now afraid more than ever to be heard.

“I have reason to believe you know the answer to that as well,” he whispered as he began to press his lips along my jaw.

For a moment I was left unable to think but I willed myself to ignore his lips for a moment. “Because you are insane,” I responded.

I felt him smile as I had uttered the words. “No. Because I love you and I would risk anything to be with you.”

I scoffed at that, holding his face straight towards my own. “But suppose you get caught whilst being with me, what would happen to you?” I asked once more, attempting to talk some sense into him.

His expression turned smug. “I will not get caught. Stop worrying.”

“How certain are you?” I challenged.

“As certain as I know that my father owns this forest.”

“So?”

He laughed, his laughter easing my worries temporarily. “Guards dressed in the manner of civilians are positioned around the whole perimeter –including the entrance from the school. They are responsible for fending off trespassers,” he said in a tone exuding confidence.

“Civilians..? So the couples out lingering at the park..?”

He nodded. “Guards. In fact some students attending East Delton are in fact guards dressed as students who never attend classes and linger by the forest.”

It took a moment for me to absorb this information. “So how on earth was I allowed to enter?” I asked now filled with great confusion as I recall having no trouble entering the forest perimeters back when I had been but a new student in East Delton.

“Oh, the guards had not failed to warn me about your trespassing of course. In truth, I was quite curious about you and was certain you meant no harm so I allowed your entrance,” he said, as though it had been the plainest thing in the world.

“Oh,” had been all I could respond. Then I remembered something. “But what about those who are after you? Would they not find suspicion in the heavily guarded forest? Especially when it is owned by your father?”

He began to stroke my hair. “I am certain they would have been. It is for that reason that the property was listed under the government instead of my father. Furthermore, no one was told about the civilian guards outside the government to keep suspicion from arising. Does that ease you of worry?” He smiled in assurance.

I shook my head. “What if the men did try to enter the forest? What if they see you enter the forest? Then what?”

“Well that, my dear, is where Powell comes in,” he concluded.

Powell. This had been my chance to ask Drew of him. “Powell?” I asked, my heart thudding as though it was about ready to burst.

He was silent for a moment, seating himself and motioning for me to do the same. As soon as I was seated too, he began to speak. “Powell was the man I assume you had seen me with…that night,” he began, his expression of one who was lost in thought. “I met him when I was younger and in the hands of McKinley. When I underwent painful experiments, I would talk to him. He was there doing all he could to give me comfort and to ensure my wellbeing. He had been like a brother to me,” he recalled.

“But why would he help you? Is he not McKinley’s …whatever he is?” I asked, unable to resist the urge to interrupt.

He looked at me then, his face as cold as winter. It frightened me but I willed myself to understand his hatred towards Dr. McKinley. “He is McKinley’s trusted assistant. For the reason that McKinley knew I trusted Powell he sent him on the hunt. Little did McKinley know that Powell disliked his ways. Powell saw the hurt the doctor had caused me when I was younger. He treated me like an animal. Now that I have escaped McKinley would stop at nothing at my arrest,” he concluded, his voice pained yet his face remaining emotionless.

I held his hand then, uncertain of how I should comfort him. I felt awful for him. “If Powell is McKinley’s assistant why do you trust him? Has the thought not occurred to you that he might be playing you?” I suggested, careful to keep my voice low.

“Yes, I considered that long ago. But Powell had several opportunities to capture me, most especially when I was younger; yet did not,” he defended, his expression shifting now to despair. He held my gaze, willing me to believe him.

“Okay. I get it. I guess when you have but one ally you must trust him on some level. Drew, I just want you to be careful alright? I cannot even begin to imagine what would happen if….” I broke off, for now all the more I refused to imagine his capture, most especially when it may possibly happen due to my existence. There had to be another way for both him and Amy to be in safety.

“That is not going to happen, alright Alice? I promise I could never do that to you,” he assured me, taking my face in his hands.

I looked away for I felt tears begin to fill my eyes. “Why can’t you just run? Go somewhere they can’t find you,” I begged in desperation.

He scoffed, shaking his head. “I did run, Alice. For several years I had been on the run but wherever I went they came after me. There is no where that I could possibly run to where I cannot be found. You must understand Alice that I have grown tired of running –and so have my parents.”

“So what are you going to do? If you don’t run, what are you going to do?” I no longer held back the tears and allowed them to flow freely. My heart ached dearly.

“I’m going to find away to stop them, Alice. I have to. Everything will be alright,” he spoke softly, hushing me and sweeping the tears from my face.

“You promise?” My voice had become but a broken whisper now.

“I promise. Alice, look at me,” he ordered in a stern manner. “Now you have to promise that you will stay with me.”

I sighed with despair. What was I to say? Sooner or later I could no longer be with him. Death was inevitable. “How, Drew? I’m dying. I cannot survive. It is much too late for chances of survival. I have accepted the fact that I will die. Please, please don’t ask me to promise you something I know I can’t keep,” I begged, taking both of his hands in mine.

“Be strong, Alice. Fight it. I know you can. Please….” He was unable to say more for he too was in despair now. We remained in mutual silent for a long while before he had composed himself enough to look at me and speak. “You look more ill now than when I had seen you last. I cannot take this any longer! I loathe that you are dying and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Here I am worrying about how I could evade captivity all the while you are dying!”

“We make a great pair,” I teased bitterly.

“Indeed,” he responded, half-heartedly.

I looked at him then and suddenly, I no longer felt defeated about death. “Listen to me. Stop worrying about my death, Drew. Mourning my death while I am still alive will get us nowhere. Instead, let’s savor the time we have left. Let’s make the best of what we have. I promise to you that no matter where I am I will always think of you, I will always love you, and I will never leave you. I will always be here,” I whispered, positioning my hand upon his chest.

He pulled me towards him, holding me in his arms. “That sounds like a plan.”

--------

It felt as though it had been hours that we remained in each other’s arms, both silently lost in thought. The forest felt calm, as though it chose to be calm for our sake. All that could be heard were the chirping of crickets. We were alone and together. I wished that we had forever to be this way yet I knew we did not have that kind of great fortune.

“Drew, can I ask you something?” I said, finally deciding it time to break the silent.

“Of course. What is it, my love?” he replied gently, caressing my arms.

“You seem so…tense around Stefani. I talked to her you know, about what happened to you both. But I wanted to hear your side of the story. What happened? Why are you hostile around each other?”

I felt his body taut at the mention of Stefani. He said nothing.

“Did…did you love her?” I hesitated, for I knew I had made him uncomfortable.

It took a moment for him to respond that I began to think he would not. “Yes, I did. Not like I love you, no far from that. I loved her as a sister. She was the nearest thing to a sibling I had once I was in the mayor’s good hands and barely spoke with Powell. I never thought she would feel differently about me.”

“She said you shut her out after she told you how she felt,” I began, shifting in order to face him.

“Yes, I did shut her out. But it was not because of her feelings, I assure you. I could not possibly be as cruel to someone I held dear,” he said in reassurance.

I felt my brows furrow. “So why did you shut her out?”

“Because she had become too attached. She nearly found out about what I was. Her suspicion quickly developed and I was frightened that if she had found out about me, it would greatly risk her safety. I was certain that if I had not kept my distance then, she would stop at nothing to learn the awful truth about me,” he admitted with regret.

“Then why did you tell me?”

He looked at me with great sadness. “Because you already knew, Alice. I revealed myself to you when I was but a foolish child and it had been much too late to deny it now. But I swear to you Alice, that I will do all that is in my power for you to be safe.”

I nodded, for I knew he was right. Truth of the matter was, I had already been in danger and there was nothing I would allow him to do about it. He could never know. “She hates you, you know. She thinks you’re an asshole for shutting her out just because she told you that she was in love with you.”

“I am aware, Alice. Although I regret losing her friendship it is much better for her to feel that way about me than to be in harm’s way.”

I smiled towards him, overwhelmed by his selflessness. “You’re right. I should probably get going. I wouldn’t want to worry my mother,” I said although I wished greatly to stay.

“Yes, you should,” he agreed, rising and lifting me up as he did.

“When will I see you again?” I asked, hope filling my voice. I wanted dearly for him to stay. I no longer wanted him to leave.

“Soon, I promise,” he reassured, before kissing me once more. I returned his kiss, longing for the moment to be longer. I hoped he would keep his promise.

“Goodbye, Alice,” Drew said finally.

“Goodbye, Drew,” I said, before walking away without turning back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 272 15
Do you know when you're meant to be? Do you know when to let go? Do you know you can't have it all? Pain, guilt, love, grief... There are inevitable...
483 99 26
After a spectacular fail of some of Jessy's GCSE's she finds herself in the worst possible situation. The finding of some of the most heartbreaking n...
Smile By Noémie

Teen Fiction

435 31 23
Once upon a time... That's how all the fairytales begin, right? There's a girl who's mistreated and misunderstood. She meets a guy--probably the most...
3.4K 100 14
[An All Time Low short story] Elliot was always the girl who hated lying to her friends, but as illness strikes, that seems to be all she can do. I...