Chasing Cars

By GreysMeredithSwift

When Meredith's health makes her move back to Seattle with her daughter she's up to new challenges. When Dere... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 6

998 49 12
By GreysMeredithSwift

"Easy Mer, you got this." Derek said, supporting Meredith's body as she walked inside the house.

"Just wanna lay down and sleep." Meredith whispered.

"I know. Let's get you to your room and then you can sleep."

"Mama, can you cawwy me? I don't wanna walk anymowe!" Maddie asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Maddie, Mama can't hold you right now. I'm sorry." Derek told her.

"Why not?" Maddie asked tiredly, not understanding how the chemo is affecting her mom.

"She's very sleepy from her treatment today baby." Derek said as he guided a sleepy Meredith to her room.

Meredith wanted to pick up her daughter but she just had zero energy. She couldn't even gather the energy to talk much.

"Otay." Maddie sighed.

Derek opened the door to Meredith's room and helped her lay down. He covered her with the blankets and watched as her eyes immediately closed from exhaustion.

"Come on Maddie, let's let Mama sleep. Let's get some dinner and get you ready for bed."

"Cawwy me daddy?" Maddie asked, reaching her arms up for him to pick her up.

Derek picks her up and brings her to the kitchen where Richard and Adele are.

"Well hello Maddie! How was your day monkey?" Richard asked her.

"Weally good! I gots to pway and be with my Mama and Daddy!" Maddie says. "But Mama's sweeping now, so we gots to be quiet!"

"That sounds like a great day Maddie! And I made your favorite food for dinner tonight!" He says.

"Weally?" She asked, her eyes widening.

"I did! I made pasta!"

"'Getti?" She asks.

"I made spaghetti, just for you! I know how much you love it." Richard says.

"Mama loves 'getti too! I'll go get her!" She starts to get up but Derek stops her.

"Maddie, mama is sleeping." Derek says.

"But she gots to eat!" She whines.

"She's very tired from being in the hospital earlier, baby. She needs to get her sleep." Derek says softly to his daughter.

Maddie crosses her arms over her chest. "But Mama cuts up my 'getti for me! I need her!"

"I can cut it up for you sweetie." Derek says.

"No! Want Mama to do it!" Maddie frowns and is about to burst into tears. "Mama and I always eat together!"

"I know, baby, but she needs to sleep."

"No! No! No! Mama always cuts my 'getti! Not hungry daddy!" Maddie says, pushing her plate away.

Derek sighs. Maddie shares the same stubborn trait as Meredith so he knows it will be difficult to get her to eat without her mom.

"Want Mama!" Maddie sobs.

"What about we make a deal monkey? If you eat your dinner and let me help you get ready for bed then you can see Mama once you're all done? How's that sound?"

"Otay."  Maddie sighs, tears still falling down her face.

Maddie reluctantly starts eating her dinner after her dad cuts up spaghetti. She eats her dinner while tears continue falling down her face. She's very quiet during the whole dinner, only occasionally whispering that she wants her mommy.

At the ending of dinner, Meredith suddenly appears standing in the doorway.

"Hey monkey.. You having spaghetti?" Meredith slowly walked up towards her daughter, ignoring the concerned looks from the adults in the room

"Mama!" Maddie smiled. "You want some 'getti?"

"No monkey. Thank you.." Meredith sighed and took a seat next to Maddie, heavily leaning onto the chair for support as she fought to stay awake

Derek kept his eyes on his ex wife as she struggled to stay awake. Once Maddie finished her food he had to convince Meredith to get back in bed but he knew she wasn't the easiest..

"Mads, why don't you and mommy and Nanas go to bed?" Derek says.

"Otay! Nanas it's bedtime!" Maddie says. "Mama, can me and Nanas sweep with you?"

Meredith nods. "Yes baby. Come on." She takes Maddie's hand and begins to take her upstairs.

"Mer, I can get her ready. You go lay down and I'll bring her to you." Derek said, seeing how exhausted Meredith is.

"I can do it." Meredith whispers.

Derek decides not to fight her and watches them go slowly upstairs.

Meredith slowly helps Maddie get ready for bed. Once she's ready she puts her into her bed and lays down next to her.

Both of them fall asleep instantly.

The next morning comes and Maddie wakes up before Meredith. "Mama! Wake up! It's mowning!"

Meredith doesn't respond and just continues sleeping. She's completely sound asleep.

Just then the door opens and Derek comes in.

"Hi Daddy! Mama's sweeping still! She's sweepy!" Maddie says giggling.

"Hi monkey, did you sleep well with your mommy?" He asks.

Maddie nods.

"I need to wake your Mama up. I need to give her some medicine to help her get better."

"No! She's sweeping Daddy! You gots to let her sweep!" Maddie says protectively.

"She needs her medicine monkey. She can go back to sleep right after."

"She's sweepy!"

"Two minutes baby, I promise." Derek says and shakes Meredith's shoulder gently.

Meredith groans.

"Mer, I have some medicine for you. You can go right back to sleep." He says softly.

"Tired." She mutters.

"I know. Two minutes and then you can go right back to bed. Here, can you swallow these for me?" Derek hands her a few pills and a cup of water.

Meredith quickly swallows them and then closes her eyes again. "I hurt Derek..." she whispers.

"Those meds should help you." Derek feels bad for her. He sees her shivering. "I'm going to go get you an extra blanket." He leaves the room.

Just a minute later Meredith sits up quickly and holds her stomach.

"Mama? You otay?" Maddie questions

Meredith is unable to answer and all of a sudden throws up all over herself.

Maddie's eyes widen and she gets frightened. "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" She cries loudly.

Meredith moans.

"What is it monkey..." Derek starts to starts to say as he enters the room. "It's okay, mama just got sick. Maddie, why don't you set up a tea party and I'll come join you?" Derek desperately wants Maddie out of the room so he can clean Meredith and her bed up.

"Otay!" Maddie starts to run out of the room but stops. "Is Mama otay?"

"Yes, she's okay baby."

"Otay!" She runs out of the room and sees Richard and Adele.

"Mama made a mess." She whispers. "Me and Daddy are gonna have a tea pawty."

Richard is concerned about Meredith and will ask Derek about her but knows that Maddie needs to be distracted first. "Let's go get the tea party set up!" He takes her hand and Adele takes her other and they walk down the hall.

"You're okay, Mer. Do you feel like you need to throw up anymore?" Derek asks Meredith. He is helping her kneel in front of the toilet and holding her hair back.

"I'm okay." Meredith whispers.

"Let's get you cleaned up then." Derek knew that this was going to happen because of the chemo but knowing it will happen doesn't make it any easier to see happen.

Thanks to my co-writer _Ktje_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 993 24
Meredith was born with cystic fibrosis. She's happy with Derek and their daughter but her lungs have been causing her lots of complications lately. C...
5.4K 411 24
SEQUEL OF FROM NOW ON Meredith and Derek now have three daughters but the care of them combined with work and life is getting a lot for Meredith's ow...
36K 1.1K 38
What happens when Meredith gets sick?
23.1K 835 20
set in s18 Meredith has three kids and dating Nick Marsh. it was a normal day for Meredith when she got a call from a call from a hospital telling he...