The Almost One Night Stand

By theEveofChaos

Luke Taylor left South Carolina to work with other teams on special Academy missions. While working in San D... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106

Chapter 21

1.6K 99 5
By theEveofChaos

Luke's POV

Nimue had been adamant that we needed to contact the Isle immediately. It was just a day later that Jax showed up on our balcony.

"Ni, let me in!" Jax shouted and banged on the door. "It's fucking cold out here!"

"Don't get your wings in a fucking twist, fairy boy," Gabe yelled at him as he unlocked the door. He was wrapped in a blanket that he was holding up with one hand.

Jax looked him up and down then grinned, "Are you sure you don't want to at least try life with a fairy?" Gabe's mouth gaped.

"Jax quit trying to steal my future husband or I'll pluck your wings," Nimue grouched as she came out of the bathroom for the third time already. Her morning sickness was really taking a toll on her. I was hoping the healers at the Isle could help her. She wanted to see them while we were there.

He stuck his tongue out at her, "It's not my fault he's hot. Besides, it's not fair you get two of them and I'm still all alone in the world," he pouted. She glared at him until he finally raised his hands in mock surrender. "Fine," he huffed. "Anyway, I'm here to take your grumpy ass to the Isle. I'll be standing for the guys as they face the grove."

"The grove? What, why? On whose authority are they being required to face the grove," Nimue shrieked.

Jax rolled his eyes, "Seriously Ni, you knew she would put her big ass in the middle of this. Your aunt is demanding everything be done the "old" way. I think she's hoping the Goddess will refuse them."

"Does she know about your vision," I asked Nimue.

She shook her head, "I didn't mention it. My mother came to me, not her. I will only discuss it with the Druidic council and the High Priestess. If the Goddess wanted her to know, she would have come to her as the regent of the Isle."

Jax's eyes went wide, "Wait, what the fuck? You had a vision - like the vision?"

Nimue sighed and plopped down on the bed, holding her head in her hands, "Yes, but I didn't see who it was, only Excalibur and my mother's voice." She rubbed her hand over her belly subconsciously.

"You're pregnant," he gasped softly as he dropped to his knees next to her. He gently touched his hand to her stomach. "Oh, Ni, sweetie, I'm so happy for you all," his eyes were wet with tears. "Okay, Uncle Jax is gonna cut that bitch if she messes with any of you. I promise I'll keep them safe in the grove." She wrapped her arms around his neck, hugged him tightly, and said something I couldn't hear, but he laughed and helped her stand up. "Okay you guys, get your asses dressed. We have a schedule to keep, people!"

As soon as we were dressed, and the wedding rings packed in my pocket, Jax pulled out a small glass orb. Nimue took mine and Gabe's hands, "You might want to hold your breath. The last time Jax opened a portal, I ended up in the lake," she snickered.

He put his hand on his hip and glared, "Listen here, missy, I was drunk. Just be glad we even ended up in Avalon at all that time. Gods know I've found myself in some crazy places when teleporting drunk." Well, that doesn't make me feel any better. "Just hold hands and hush," he said, then lifted the orb. It began to glow brightly, then a ring of light shot out from it and I squinted my eyes shut.

"Fuck me," I heard Gabe swear softly as I opened my eyes. We stood at the edge of what looked like an ancient grove of trees taller than I could even see. The grass beneath our feet was short and slightly dew covered. I looked over to see Nimue take a deep breath, her shoulders dropping, and her body relaxed. Despite all the issues with her aunt, you could tell she was glad to be home. "This place is wild," Gabe said and kissed her cheek.

She laughed, "You have no idea."

"Okay, well, hate to break up the party, but you have places to be, Ni," Jax said as he motioned to the two young girls approaching us. "And these guys have their own matters to attend to."

Nimue pulled Gabe and me into a tight hug, "Listen to Jax and trust your instincts. I love you both," she whispered and gave each of us a deep kiss. Despite her efforts, I could see the worry in her eyes as she gave us one last look before following the girls away.

"Where is she going?" I asked Jax.

"The initiates will take her to Brigid's temple. She'll need to go through the purification rituals and speak with the goddess privately." He stepped close to us and whispered low, "Do not trust your eyes and ears in the grove. Trust your instincts. Listen to the trees, they will lead you in the right direction." He took a step back as a trio of men approached. They were clad in woolen robes, and one had a staff and a stole embroidered with various symbols and lettering.

"Greetings gentlemen," the man with the stole said. "We have been informed that you seek Lady Nimue's hand in marriage. As is the tradition on Avalon, you must face a Druid's trial before gaining permission from the council to marry our Lady." Gabe and I exchanged confused glances and tried to remember what Jax had said. "You will be asked to enter the grove one at a time to seek permission from the trees to connect to the Isle. If the grove finds you worthy, you will have the blessing you seek."

We were instructed to remove our shoes and shirts. I gave Jax the wedding rings for safekeeping and watched as Gabe entered the grove first. About ten minutes later, I walked past the treeline. I couldn't see Gabe, but I thought I could hear his voice and started towards it. When I stumbled on a large fallen log, I stopped. Now he sounded like he was behind me. I shook my head in confusion and stood still. Before I started to move, I remembered what Jax had said about not trusting what I heard. It was a trap. Gabe wasn't calling to me, the grove was tricking me, making me wander in circles instead of finding what I was meant to find. The only problem was, I had no idea what I was supposed to find. I shut my eyes and reached out, placing my palm on a tree trunk. I pulled back feeling a tingling sensation, then touched the tree again. This time the tingling increased like a current of energy. My heart felt like it was racing and then I heard it. I heard the trees talking to me.

Gabe's POV

I wandered in circles for what felt like hours until I finally sat down on the grass and tried to shut out all the sounds and fake voices I was hearing. As I lay back, I dug my fingertips into the dirt and felt a vibration pass through me. It felt like sitting next to a giant bass drum that pounds and reverberates causing sound ripples that grow. I could feel the forest. The small creatures that roamed the forest floor scurried and their steps felt like music notes dancing along my skin. Then I felt him.

Hello pretty boy - I said, reaching out across the forest, sensing him.

Gabe? Wait, how are we talking? I could hear the shock in Luke's voice even though it was in my mind.

I chuckled, I have no idea. I just knew you were there. Did you find what you needed?

Sort of, but I feel like I haven't found everything yet. What about you?

Same. I can feel the connection, but there's something else I need to locate. I'll let you know when I find it. I stood, removing my fingers from the ground, and felt myself turning westward. As if a string were pulling me, I felt drawn toward a gigantic ash tree. It was ancient and towered above me. When I stood directly in front of it, I placed my hand against the massive trunk. My mind was flooded with visions - men in robes chanting, large bonfires with people dancing and laughing, a woman and man, both naked wearing only masks, jumping over a fire to a waiting ceremonial bed, ancient armies clashing, a lone soldier fallen, his head in the lap of a woman with solid black hair.

I fell to my knees gasping as the visions faded. What the fuck was that? I scratched at my chest as it began to feel like it was burning. I felt raised skin and looked down to see an odd mark over my heart. It looked like a vertical line with five small horizontal lines coming off to the right side of the original line. It was similar to a tattoo but had actually been burned into my skin. Found it, I called out to Luke.

Me too, he said back.

Luke's POV

Just after I heard Gabe's voice in my mind, I felt a pull to my left. The trees whispered to one another like old friends sharing secrets, and somehow I was allowed to listen as well. Come closer they whispered, not much farther.

I stumbled into a circle of hawthorn trees, the ground littered with fallen thorns from the trees. They stuck in my feet, but still, I walked forward. I could feel my feet bleeding as I came to rest against the base of one large tree. Its branches were heavy with soft white blossoms. I closed my eyes to rest, not even bothering to remove the thorns.

"You sacrifice much for her," a woman's voice said. I opened my eyes to see an older woman, her head covered with a veil kneeling on the fallen thorns before me. "Are you sure she is worthy of your sacrifice?"

I jumped to my feet, "How dare you say that?" I demanded. "Nimue is worth everything! I'd give my life for hers if needed. I don't know who you are, but if all you have to say are bad things about her, then just leave."

The woman laughed, "I meant no harm, Lucian Taylor. I only wanted to determine your level of conviction. She will need you in the upcoming days, you and your other lover." She motioned for me to sit again, and when I looked down, all the thorns were gone.

"Who are you?" I asked cautiously.

"A maiden, a mother, a crone," she said cryptically. I leaned my head to one side as she continued, "Who I am isn't important, Nimue is. Her journey is just beginning and your family will become part of that journey." She placed a hand over each foot and I felt a tingling sensation as the wounds healed, then a burning sensation on my chest over my heart. "So very fitting," she murmured as she looked at the mark. It looked like a capital H with the left vertical line missing. "Come," she said standing and holding her hand out to me, "Your lover awaits. Nimue will come to you soon as well."

Found it, I heard Gabe say.

Me too, I said back, then I took her hand and followed her out of the grove to see Gabe standing with Jax with a huge grin on his face.

They both lowered their heads to the woman. "Goddess," Gabe said in a low voice. What? My eyes bulged as I realized who she was. I think I made a strangled noise because they all looked at me and laughed. "Leave it to you, man," Gabe shook his head at me with a silly grin, then grabbed my hand and kissed me firmly. "Let's go get married," he chuckled.

Author's Notes:  So the grove accepted Luke and Gabe.  The threads are coming together quickly now.  

Please follow, vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.9K 6.4K 104
They all thought I'd abandoned them. I'd turned my back on the only people who truly cared for me to protect them, and they never knew.... Without a...
3.4K 631 18
A simple life in a small town that time seems to have forgotten. Gracie Jean, or Gray as her friends call her has a strong connection to the land an...
184K 10.7K 39
Tori is already cracked and broken after barely managing to escape her abusive fiancé. She's trying to heal both physically and mentally. She doesn't...
179K 7.1K 62
This is my very first time writing and I have not had the chance to read CL Stone's books but I have read many fanfictions based on the Blackbourne a...