Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
5. Dead and Gone
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
17. Sorted
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
27. See Me After Class
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
34. Fluffy's Secret
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
53. Petrified
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
66. There's Something Out There
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

28. The Mirror of Erised

10.7K 371 49
By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina paced back and forth in Severus's office.  He had told her to wait there for him after classes the next day.  There was something he wanted to talk to her about, but he wouldn't say what it was.  She had been waiting there for what seemed like forever.  Finally, he came through the door.

"Evening, Severus," Alaina greeted him.

He smiled.  "Evening.  I see you made it."

"Yeah.  You said it was important.  What is it?"

Severus sighed.  "Has Harry talked to about his last potions class?"

"He said you told him you didn't hate him.  I really appreciate you telling him."

"It's the truth."  He cleared his throat.

Alaina frowned.  "Harry hasn't said anything to me about his last potions class other than that."

"I was afraid of that," Severus said.  "Someone tried to kill him."

Her eyes widened in shock.  "What?"

"He's fine.  I caught it and I saved him.  It's okay.  I took care of it.  It's what I was doing just now.  I don't have any proof, but I know it was Draco Malfoy.  I gave him a good tongue lashing just now and told him if he ever tried to purposely hurt Harry again, he would have me to deal with."

Alaina grinned at him.  "I'm glad to see that I'm going to have your help taking care of Harry."

Severus nodded.  "You most certainly will."

There was a knock that came to the door.  Alaina looked at Severus quizzically, wondering if he had been expecting any more company than just her.  He frowned.

"I wonder who it could be," he mumbled.

That had answered Alaina's question.  Severus glided over to answer it.  He flung the door open and was surprised to see Dumbledore standing there.

"Ah, Severus.  Good to see you're here," Albus told him.  "I'm afraid I need your assistance."

"With what?"

"A very sensitive manner."  He looked past him and saw Alaina standing behind him.  "Er, unless you are busy."

Severus glanced back at Alaina.  "Um, no.  I was just explaining to her something that happened in my class.  It's perfectly fine."

"What is it?" Alaina asked curiously.  She walked up to them.  "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help but overhearing."

"That's quite alright," Dumbledore spoke up.  "As a matter of fact, I could use your help, too if you're up for it Ms. Evans."

Alaina smiled.  "Of course."

"Alright then.  The two of you follow me."

Severus and Alaina followed Dumbledore up the stairs from the Dungeons and to a room on the first floor.  It was just down from the library.  Dumbledore went in first.  He stopped halfway into the room.  Severus and Alaina filed in after him.  There in front of them was a golden mirror.  It stood a little taller than Severus, which was about six foot.  Dumbledore smiled when he saw them admiring it.

"This is the Mirror of Erised," Dumbledore introduced.  "I want the two of you, mostly you, Severus, to help keep an eye on this mirror.  I plan to use it for something a little later on.  Right now it has to stay here until I get a chance to move it.  I don't want anyone in here."

"Understood," Severus told him.  "I will keep an eye on it."

"Me too," Alaina agreed.  "What does it do?  It doesn't look like your average, run-of-the-mill mirror."

Albus chuckled.  "That's because it's not.  It's special, but as for me telling you what it does, well, its function something you have to find out for yourself.  If you get close enough to the mirror, you will understand what it does.  I don't recommend it though."  He smiled.  "Thank you both for agreeing to help me keep an eye on it."

"You're welcome," Severus said.

Alaina simply nodded.

Dumbledore left the room with the two of them standing there wondering the exact same thing.  What in the world did this mirror do?

~ * ~

The Christmas season came a few weeks later, and with it, came the first few good showers of snow of the winter season.  Harry convinced Alaina he didn't want to go home because Ron was staying for the holidays.  Hermione went home to spend Christmas with her parents.  She walked in the Great Hall during breakfast the day she was going to leave.  Their snooping had led them to Hagrid a few days ago.  The mystery of the Sorcerer's Stone was plaguing their minds so much lately it was all they could think about.  No more attempts to get past the three-headed dog had been made that they knew of.  Hagrid had let it slip the matter of the stone was between Dumbledore and Nicolas Flamel.  Hermione walked up to their table.  They weren't eating breakfast as she suspected they would be.  They were playing chess.  She watched as a piece moved to a new space and destroyed the other.

"That's totally barbaric!" she exclaimed.  

Harry and Ron looked up at her, grins on both of their faces.  

"That's wizard's chess," Ron boasted.

"It's barbaric," Hermione repeated.

He shrugged.

"I think it's brilliant," Harry commented.

"Well, you two need to pick up the sleuthing while I'm gone."

Ron rolled his eyes.  "We've already read everything in the library about a thousand times."

"Yeah," Harry agreed.  "There's nothing there."

Hermione got a sly smile on her face.  "We haven't looked in the restricted section.  Hagrid let that name slip and we've got to find out why."

"I agree, but there's no way for us to do it without getting caught.  Mum patrols sometimes during the night and I've heard her say Snape does too.  Ron and I wouldn't have a chance."

"You're going to have to try," Hermione said.  "Otherwise, we may never know."

"I'm spending Christmas with my mum and Ron, so I'll have to look around after hours," Harry whispered.  He figured he might as well give in.  He didn't want to take the chance someone might hear them.

"Sounds great," Hermione chirped.  "Just don't forget.  Maybe if you succeed we'll finally know what's going on around here."  She turned on her heel and left.

Ron waited until she was out of earshot before he commented.  He looked at Harry.  "I think we're a bad influence on her."

Harry laughed.  He agreed whole-heartedly.

Harry and Ron finished their game of chess and then dressed themselves to go outside and play in the snow.  It was something they had been wanting to do since the snow fell on the ground. Harry took Hedwig and let her stretch her wings.  Then he and Ron chased after her when she took off.  It felt good for them to be able to just goof off.  They had no idea someone was watching them.

Up in one of the highest points of the castle, Severus stood in the window.  It was the clock tower.  He often went there to clear his head.  He found the ticking noise to be soothing.  The bell was the only thing he didn't find appealing.  He had not expected to see anyone stirring about, especially outside, but when Harry and Ron appeared right before his very eyes it did not surprise him.  At least this way he knew where Harry was.  It was much harder to keep up with him when classes weren't in session.   Suddenly, he heard footsteps.  All sounds echoed loudly in the  clock tower.  It was another reason he loved it so well.  No one would ever be able to sneak up on him.

Severus whirled around, prepared to greet whoever it might be coming to join him.  A smile spread across his face when he saw Alaina.  She tossed her red hair over shoulder the moment she reached the top to get it out of her face.  The sight of her took his breath away.

"Hello, Alaina," Severus greeted her.

"Hi," Alaina said.  "Albus said I would find you here."

He frowned.  He had no idea how Albus always knew where to find him, but he was starting to get suspicious.  It was like there was nowhere to hide anymore.  Not that he was trying to hide, but sometimes he just wanted to get away from everything and everyone.  He studied Alaina curiously.   She seemed nervous.

"Is something wrong?"

"Oh no.  I just wanted to ask you something and I couldn't find you.  You weren't in your office."

Severus smiled at her.  "I come up here to just clear my head sometimes.  What did you want to ask me?"

Alaina beamed at him.  "I just wanted to know if you would like to spend Christmas with Harry and I.  Ron will be there as well.  I'm going to let them come into my quarters."

Severus wanted to tell her 'yes'.  He would give anything to spend the day with her and Harry, but with Weasley there it was a bit awkward.  He had to keep up appearances with the students at least.  It was essential he maintain the illusion he was the same apathetic and sadistic teacher he had always been.

"I would love to, Alaina, but I'm not sure it's a very good idea."

She seemed a little disappointed by his decision, but he couldn't tell for sure.  Her expression was blank.

"I understand," she said.  "What about after lunch?  It will just be the two of us."

He swallowed nervously.  The two of them alone?  He could never turn that down.  It was a chance for him to be with her freely.  "Where shall I meet you?"

Alaina's face lit up.  She didn't think he would accept that invitation either.  He surprised her once again.  "Down by Hagrid's hut.  Lily told me once the forest down that way was gorgeous."

"It is.  I used to read propped up against a big oak tree right in the center of it all the time."

"Read?"

Severus nodded.  "Read, study, write, and practice magic.  It was my safe haven."

"I will meet you by Hagrid's then."  Alaina flashed him a shy smile.

"Harry is outside with his friend Ron right now," he said, changing the subject.

She frowned.  "How do you know?"

He impulsively took a hold of her hand.  She tried to ignore the electricity that shot through her as he lead her to the window.  He pointed down into the courtyard.  Harry and Ron were now heavily engaged in combat: a snowball fight.  Hedwig soared freely in the sky above them.

Alaina turned to face Severus, her eyebrow raised.

"What?" he asked innocently.

"Were you watching them?"

"No.  Of course not.  I was watching it snow.  I just happened to notice Potter and Weasley down there playing. They seem to be getting along pretty well."

"I was only kidding, Severus.  Lighten up.  And Harry and Ron do get along for the most part.  They will be best friends forever."

Severus smiled.  "Probably.  Like us."

Alaina stared at him.  'Friend' was not the word she would have used to describe their relationship.  Their bond ran deeper than that.  He still hadn't let go of her hand.  No, they weren't friends.  They were a lot more, but neither of them would dare admit it out loud.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

430K 13.8K 28
*Featured in Wattpad @Fanfic Recommendations* Severus Snape could not possibly be more focused on his tasks now that he is aware of the Dark Lord's f...
47.6K 2.2K 74
Amilia Hubbard returns to Hogwarts! Harry Potter has begun his schooling! So not only does Severus Snape have to deal with the young wizard but he al...
77.3K 3K 42
After coming to terms with her past, Ms Sofia Greene chooses to develop a stable career at Hogwarts. For over 4 years, she was known as one of the mo...
55.7K 2.1K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...