Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
5. Dead and Gone
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
17. Sorted
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
28. The Mirror of Erised
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
34. Fluffy's Secret
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
53. Petrified
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
66. There's Something Out There
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

27. See Me After Class

11.1K 408 66
By thegirlwhowrites11

As the Gryffindor Quidditch team came out of the stadium, Alaina was waiting there for Harry.  They were in high spirits because they had just won the game and she was just as happy as they seemed to be. 

Severus waited there with her, although he didn't really relish the thought of seeing the victors after such an embarrassing game against his own house.  He had to admit Harry was a good Seeker though.  It had surprised him.  A lot about Harry Potter had surprised him at the game and what he had learned about his childhood had the most impact.  He watched Alaina intensely.  Her face brightened when Harry came into view.  He was hard to miss riding on the shoulders of Gryffindor's Beaters, the Weasley twins.  Fred and George hoisted him easily above the rest of the team.  They put him down when they noticed Severus looking their way.  They nodded to Alaina as they passed and hurried toward the castle.  Severus wasn't surprised.  He had that effect on most people.

Harry ran up to Alaina, the excitement of his house's victory still on his face.  "Did you see how I caught the snitch?" he cried.  "It was amazing!"  He was talking as fast as he could form words.  "My heart was beating so fast I almost threw up before I caught it in my mouth.  The snitch doesn't really taste all that good, but I'm so glad I caught it.  I love Quidditch!"

"Whoa," Alaina said.  "Slow down.  You're going to get yourself too worked up."

"Never, Mum," he said with a grin.  "At least my nerves are calmer now.  I was so afraid I was going to mess up and everybody would laugh.  I thought I was going to hurl big time."

"I thought you were going to be sick as well," Severus spoke up.

Harry's smile faded.  He hadn't noticed his Potions professor there until he spoke.  "You watched me play?"

Snape looked incredibly bored by his question.  "I watched the game, Potter."

"Right," Harry said.  It was stupid of him to think Snape cared what he did.  He hated him.  He let go of Alaina and stood there awkwardly.  "I was a little shaken by the broom acting up though."  He glanced sideways at Snape.

Severus stared back at him.  Harry seemed to be waiting for some sort of response, but why?  It was almost as if he was silently accusing him of something.  They were still looking at each other when Ron and Hermione ran up to Harry.

"That was wicked!" Ron exclaimed.  He didn't seem to realize he had just interrupted something.  "Even though Snape tried to ruin it."

Harry's eyes widened and Hermione's, too.  Ron winced when he realized Snape was standing there, a murderous look on his face.  He gulped.

"It's Professor Snape to you, Mr. Weasley," he growled.  "I'm not sure what you think I ruined.  After all, Gryffindor won."  Severus turned to Alaina.  "I'll let you talk to them."  He laid his hand on her shoulder.  "I'm going to retire to my office.  If you need me for anything that's where I'll be."

Alaina nodded and smiled at him.  She hated that all the students had such a negative attitude toward him.  If they knew half the things he did for her the night her sister died they would certainly think differently of him.  They would see him exactly as she did: a good man with a good heart.  "I'll see you later."

He nodded and walked away.  She watched him go, wondering if what Ron had said hurt his feelings.  She faced the children as soon as he was out of sight.

"You guys should really watch what you say around people," Alaina told them.  "You could hurt someone's feelings."

They all looked at each other, but not one of them said anything for several seconds.  Then Hermione spoke.

"You should be careful, Professor Evans," she said.  "Snape isn't what he seems."

Alaina frowned.  "What do you mean, Hermione?"

Hermione looked at Harry and Ron and they both silently urged her to continue.  She sighed, somewhat reluctant.  "I was using binoculars to watch the game and when Harry's broom started acting up, I saw Snape chanting something.  He was jinxing the broom."

"That's ridiculous," she commented.  "He wouldn't hurt Harry."

"I think you're wrong, Professor.  I know a spell when I see one.  You have to keep eye contact and Snape wasn't blinking."

Alaina shook her head.  "I know, sweetheart, but he wasn't jinxing the broom.  I was sitting right beside of him.  He was chanting a counter-curse.  Somebody else was jinxing Harry's broom.  Severus was trying to save him."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all stared blankly at her.

"Snape was trying to save me?" Harry asked in disbelief.  It didn't seem possible. Why would he save someone he didn't like?

"That's right, Harry.  Someone was trying to hurt you by knocking you off your broom.  You should thank Severus when you see him again."

Hermione's face suddenly turned red.  Guilt flood through her.  Alaina noticed it and a thought occurred to her.  If Hermione saw Severus chanting, which she already knew she did, and she thought he was trying to hurt Harry she would have reacted.  She would have done anything to stop him, even set his robes on fire.  Now it all made sense.

"And don't worry, Ms. Granger," Alaina told her, meeting her eyes, "your secret will die with me."

Hermione smiled gratefully.  Only she knew what the secret was and she was glad she was going to keep it to herself.  She worried for a second she might tell Snape and then she would have had detention forever.  She might have even gotten expelled.

"I'm going to go back to the castle now.  You guys go and celebrate with the rest of your house."  Alaina kissed Harry on the head and walked away.

Harry and Ron stared at Hermione

"What did you do?" Ron asked curiously.

"I'd like to know that myself," Harry added.

Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.  She didn't know whether to tell them or keep it to herself.  She was about to tell them that she didn't want to discuss it, but abruptly changed her mind.  "I set Snape's robes on fire."

Harry and Ron's eyes widened in shock.

"It was the only thing I could think of that would get his attention," she added defensively.  "I didn't know Professor Evans was sitting there with him.  If I had known, I would have just told her."

"I don't blame you or anything, Hermione," Harry told her.  "It was quick thinking on your part.  You might have saved my life."

"I think it was brilliant," Ron commented.  

Harry grinned.  He would have given anything just to see Snape's face when he saw the flames, even though he knew now he was only trying to help him survive the attack.

~ * ~

Severus marched into his office.  He was off his game today.  Whoever was casting the spell on Harry's broom should have never been able to get that far.  It had to be someone pretty powerful because he packed a powerful punch himself.  He walked over to his desk and barely got to sit before there was a small knock at the door.  Instead of getting back up, he told the person to come in.

Alaina slipped inside and closed the door behind her.  She had almost caught up to him.  He looked up at her, surprised to see her.  He smiled.

"Need me so soon?" he asked her.

Alaina grinned.  "No.  I just wanted to see you.  The kids didn't really see it, but I can see through that strong mask you wear all the time.  I'm sorry they think so badly of you."

Severus sighed.  "I bring it on myself.  I chose to depict myself in that light and they see me how I want to be seen."

"Still, Ron's words had to hurt your feelings."

"They stung a little, yes, but I've learned to ignore the things people say.  He thinks I'm the one who tried to hurt his best friend."

"Yes, he does," Alaina said.  She walked toward his desk.  He was leaned back comfortably in his chair now.  "But I set the record straight."

He glowered at her.  "You did?"

"Yep.  I told them that you were trying to save Harry, not hurt him."

"And they didn't believe you, did they?"

"I don't think so.  Not entirely anyway.  I think Harry might have.  No matter how he acts, Severus, I know he likes you."

Severus shook his head.  "I think you're mistaken.  Why would he?"

Alaina shrugged.  "Harry's a smart kid.  Maybe he sees you like I do."

"I highly doubt it."

She smiled at him.  "Don't underestimate him.  He'll surprise you every time."  She walked up to him and bent down to kiss him on the cheek.  "I have to go prepare for my next class.  I'll see you soon."

Severus watched Alaina walk out of his office.  He reached up and touched the spot on his cheek where the touch of her lips still lingered.  He wished she wouldn't do that.  It drove him crazy, but he would never be able to tell her because he was pretty sure she would never feel the same way.  If there was anything in the world he was afraid of, it was rejection.  He would just continue to love her from afar.  That would be the best for both of them.

~ * ~

The next day things didn't start off so well for Harry.  The Slytherins were mad they lost the game and in every class they seemed to pull pranks on Gryffindors.  Of course they never got caught, so they never got into any kind of trouble.  The worst one happened in the worst possible place though: Potions.  Draco Malfoy was the instigator.

Malfoy came into class early along with some of his classmates.  He knew the potion ingredients would be laying out for them today.  Professor Snape had announced the last day they had class that it would help the process go a lot smoother.  They were learning how to brew a potion from the next chapter in their books.  Wraith essence and thistle laid on the tables along with a small black seed, which was a standard ingredient for the task at hand.  He replaced Harry's standard ingredient with black poppy before anyone got inside.  Then he took his seat and anxiously waited to watch him fail.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione came in together and took their seats.  Snape came in close to time for class to start.  He explained the roll each ingredient had in the potion and then commanded them to begin.  He started to walk around just as he did everyday, checking everyone's progress.  That is when he noticed Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle watching Harry intensely.  Severus frowned, knowing something was up.  They didn't act like that unless they were definitely up to something.  His eyes moved to Harry.  He seemed to be doing fine with his potion.  He was already adding the wraith essence to his cauldron and he was about to add the standard ingredient mix he had laid out.

Suddenly Severus froze.  The small black seeds from the standard ingredient were a lot smaller than the ones he had in his hand.  He recognized those seeds immediately.  They were poppy seeds.  Black poppy was the Potions term for it.

"Potter, freeze!" he yelled.

Harry's eyes widened.  He froze just like he was told, wondering what he had done wrong.  Severus rushed over to his table and grabbed the seeds off.  He hurried up to the trash can and threw them inside.  He sighed in relief.

"You're finished for the day, Potter," Severus told him.  He waved his wand and made his cauldron and all of its contents disappear.  "See me after class."

Malfoy snickered.  His mission had been accomplished.  Class was dismissed twenty minutes later and all the students left but Harry.  Ron and Hermione wished him good luck as they went out.

Severus waited until it was clear then shut the door.  He walked back through the classroom and stopped right in front of Harry's table.  "I bet you're wondering why I did that earlier."

Harry looked up at him.  "Yes, sir.  I wasn't doing it wrong."

"No, you weren't, but you were about to make a grave mistake.  Did you notice anyone tampering with your ingredients when you came in?"

Harry frowned.  "No, sir."

"You're sure?"

"Yes."

It was Severus's turn to frown.  "Potter, someone switched your standard ingredient with poppy seeds.  That's why I stopped you.  Had you mixed wraith essence with poppy seeds, you would have blown yourself and the rest of the classroom into bits."

Harry's eyes widened.  Professor Snape had saved his life again.  "I didn't know."

"I know you didn't.  That's why I stopped you.  I think I have an idea who it might have been.  When I get a hold of him, he will know it.  You're free to go."

Harry got up from his chair.  He was as confused as a person could get.  

Professor Snape was being nice to him.  It was strange.  He was used to being bullied by the man.  He walked toward the door.

"Potter," Severus said.

Harry stopped and turned around.  "Yes, sir?"

"For the record, I don't hate you," he told him.  "I never have.  I'm so hard on you because I don't want to see you get hurt."

He stared at his professor blankly, blinking several times in a row.  Was he hallucinating or was Snape really saying this to him?  His mother had been right.

Harry nodded.  "That's good to know, sir.  Oh and thank you for saving me at the game yesterday."

Severus's eyes widened in surprise.  Maybe Alaina was right.  Maybe the boy did like him somewhat.  He smiled.  "You're welcome."

Harry walked out of the Potions classroom grinning.  His confession had made his day for some reason he couldn't think of right away.  If felt good to know his teacher didn't hate him after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.9K 2.3K 74
Amilia Hubbard returns to Hogwarts! Harry Potter has begun his schooling! So not only does Severus Snape have to deal with the young wizard but he al...
69K 2.6K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...
89.1K 3.4K 42
After coming to terms with her past, Ms Sofia Greene chooses to develop a stable career at Hogwarts. For over 4 years, she was known as one of the mo...
75.5K 3.4K 50
(Y/N) Black was a Death Eater that had been assigned a big mission by Lucius Malfoy. What was this mission you ask? She had to become the Assistant t...