Thin Ice ✔️

By everlandwrites

Danielle wanted to keep one thing locked away: her past. But that promise soon crumbles when a new face arriv... More

author's note + characters
chapter one: Not cool man
chapter two: the puck flip
chapter three: lovers land
chapter four: its a whore house
chapter five: a visitor
chapter six: shirtless in my apartment?
chapter seven: tequila, no ice
chapter eight: seems like a douche
chapter nine: five fucking years
chapter ten: who is that again?
chapter eleven: memories
chapter twelve: serious meets sarcasm
chapter thirteen: did he just hang up on me?
chapter fourteen: selfish
chapter fifteen: regrets
chapter sixteen: sick
chapter seventeen: secrets
chapter eighteen: the deep dark past that still scares me to this day
chapter nineteen: coincidence
chapter twenty: intentions
chapter twenty one: home
chapter twenty two: try and try again
chapter twenty three: a fucking rat
chapter twenty four: together, but far apart
chapter twenty five: selly's got a girl
chapter twenty six: back in his bed
chapter twenty seven: dry cereal
chapter twenty eight: you were the only one
chapter twenty nine: suffering, pain, and agony
chapter thirty: T
chapter thirty one: need
chapter thirty two: but she could be naked
chapter thirty three: forget
chapter thirty four: to consider or not to consider
chapter thirty five: trust
chapter thirty six: a kindergarten project
chapter thirty seven: stalker
chapter thrity eight: overthinking
chapter thrity nine: the cookie crumbles
chapter forty one: care
chapter forty two: ridiculous
chapter forty three: an explanation
chapter forty four: an envelope
chapter forty five: a little help
chapter forty six: kiss me
chapter forty seven: fake it
chapter forty eight: breakaway
chapter forty nine: tattoos and bruises
chapter fifty: cookies for breakfast
chapter fifty one: are you sure?
chapter fifty two: i miss him
chapter fifty three: chips & guac
chapter fifty four: relief
chapter fifty five: i love you
chapter fifty six: one percent
chapter fifty seven: are you okay?
chapter fifty eight: thin ice
chapter fifty nine: we're done
chapter sixty: miserable
chapter sixty one: a wise talk
chapter sixty two: complete
bonus chapter #1
bonus chapter #2
bonus chapter #3: wedding bells and baby bumpin'

chapter forty: a surprise?

63.6K 1.3K 1.1K
By everlandwrites

I came downstairs after I showered. I changed into a red tank top and my pajama pants that had Santa and his reindeer on it.

When I walked back into the kitchen I realized I was the last one down. And both trays were empty. "So you guys didn't save me anything?" I asked.

They turned to me and I saw Bev's cheeks swell as she chewed. "Sowwy." she said with her mouth full.

I rolled my eyes at her. Man, I really wanted at least one cookie. I walked around the counter with a slight frown on my face.

I heard all of them go back into the living room as I stared at the empty trays. I felt someone brush behind me and I took a step forward from the contact.

"Don't be so upset T. I can make you more if you really want some." I heard Hunter say and I turned around at the offer.

"You would do that?" I asked.

He took the trays off the counter and placed them in a sink. "I mean yeah, it's cookies. They're not that hard to make." he shrugs and runs the water.

When he turns off the faucet I think about what he said. I couldn't pass up free cookies. At the end of the day food was food. "I expect extra chocolate chips." I point at him and laugh.

He dries his hands off on a towel and turns to me. "Still that obsessed with chocolate huh?" He tilts his head slightly to the side.

I gave him an assuring shrug and clapped my hands together. "Would I be me if I wasn't?" I put my hands on my hips.

Something about him not giving me a worded answer made me nervous. He just leaned against the counter, looking at me. A smile crept onto his face before he shook his head.

"No, you wouldn't." he said after a while, dropping his eyes to the floor.

"If you want to watch the movie we're starting!" Carter yelled from the other room. Pushing off the counter he sauntered over to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

He pressed my head against the side of his chest and I put my hand on his back for support. "I remember the stash you used to have in my room." he said as we walked around the counter.

"Well you had a mini-fridge of course I'm putting my chocolate in there." I argued before I felt his hand on my head messing up my hair. I brought my head back and frowned at him. Reaching up I pulled a bunch of his hair as a warning.

"Ow." he muttered.

"Not the hair." I reminded him. He playfully pushed me forward and I stumbled into the view of everyone in the living room. I flipped him off before walking to my spot on the couch. Forgetting he said in the same direction he followed behind me.

Ignoring the glances we got I noticed Allie's expression. Especially her leg bouncing as she tapped her foot. She looked really anxious. I sat down and fixed my hair hearing Hunter laugh besides me. I threw him a glare before picking up my phone and texting Allie.

Are you alright?

I texted her but as the movie went on I had no response. It wasn't until there was about ten minutes left that I got an answer.

No, I'm freaking out right now.
I don't think I can wait any longer Dani.

I watched the bubbles on the screen but they soon went away. Checking the time on my phone it was nearing eleven o'clock. I leaned forward and saw that Allie was looking at me, nervously. I could see it in her eyes.

Meet me in the kitchen.

I responded before getting up. Hearing her follow me I slowed down so she could catch up. She ended up passing me and taking a seat on a stool.

"Dani I–" She stopped and brought her hands up to her face. Her leg began bouncing again and I could hear her breathing. It was heavy.

"Ok, listen. Do you want to tell him now?" I asked.

She nodded at me. "I'm just really nervous." she whispered and I noticed her trembling hands.

I took them in mine to try and calm her down. "Hey. Listen to me. You got this ok?" I bent down and embraced her as she sat on the stool. "Do you want to tell him separately or the whole group?"

She pulled back. "I might as well tell everyone. I think the girls are getting suspicious." she explains. "And even if I just told him I'm sure he would come running down here and tell everyone himself." She made a joke to try and calm herself.

I let out a small laugh and pulled her up. "Ok. I'll go and get the box." I smiled at her and we walked back towards the living room. I gave her one more glance as I went up the stairs which might have lasted too long after I felt myself stub my toe.

"Ow." I groaned to myself. The pain lingered for a moment as I heard her laugh at me. I looked through the railing and shook my head. Climbing the stairs I practically ran down the hall and into my room.

I got to the floor and pulled the present from under my bed. In between the ribbon I saw a note placed. That wasn't there before. I saw that it had Carter written on it and assumed Allie put it there later.

I went back downstairs and when I entered the living room all eyes shifted to me. The look in their eyes was intense and I almost forgot that they were my friends. I felt pretty intimidated.

"Ok. What is going on Als? You're starting to scare me now." Carter sat up. I gave her a glare but she was already looking at me.

I handed her the present and she turned back to everyone. Her fingers tapped the side of the box as she walked towards him. "I know it's not exactly Christmas yet but I want you to open this one."

She hands him the present and as soon as he takes it she puts her hands to her face and scampers back to me. She pulls me into a hug and hides her face.

"Read the card first." She turns her head so he can hear her. I watched him pull the note from under the ribbon as everyone's eyes focused on him. "Sit with me." she whispered.

We sat down on the floor and she leaned into me. I kept my arm around her as Carter read out the letter.

"Carter. I know I might be a nervous wreck as you're reading this but I want you to know I love you so much. I hope you're as excited as I am about this." He takes in a breath and folds the note back up. "Ok what is going on Allie?"

"Just open it." she says bringing her knees to her chest. As if it couldn't be any more torturous, he went at a snails pace peeling off the wrapping paper.

When the box was finally unwrapped I heard Allie take an audible breath in as he lifted the lid. He took the tissue paper out with one hand and I saw his jaw drop before he shoved it back in and shut the box.

He looked at her with a shocked expression. "You're joking." he said, almost breathless. Like he couldn't believe it.

"Surprise." Allie lifted her head from her knees.

His eyes were wide and for a few seconds he didn't say anything. It wasn't until he put his lips together and they started trembling that I saw his eyes water. "I'm gonna be a dad?" he asked as his eyes started to glow.

"What!" Bev shot up.

"No way!" Addie smiled.

"Oh my god." Raven said in disbelief.

"Holy shit!" The guys said in unison.

She nodded and he dropped the box on the coffee table. I saw the way he looked at her as he walked over. I took my hand off Allie's back as he basically tackled her to the ground.

I scooted over and the biggest grin appeared on my face as I looked at them. I was so happy. So fucking happy I felt like grabbing a pillow and rolling on my bed with it. Internally I was screaming.

He littered her with kisses everywhere as she laughed. I'm not going to lie, I was tearing up a little bit. "How long have you known?" he asks, pulling her onto his lap.

"A few weeks but I think I'm about a month along now." she smiles. He rested his chin on her shoulder and placed his hand over her stomach. "Are you excited?"

"Yeah I'm just–I still can't believe–" He couldn't bring up the words. "I'm gonna be a dad!" he shouted again and smiled so hard.

I crawled over and hugged both of them. "I'm so happy for you guys. You'll be great parents." I said honestly. I feel like Carter would be the best dad in the world. He just found out and I can tell he's going to protect that kid until the day he dies.

Everyone came up and congratulated them. I even saw Bev shed a tear. To be honest she was actually balling her eyes out. In excitement of course.

We all decided to leave the two alone so they could talk anything out. They had wandered off somewhere and the guys stayed in the living room. All the girls headed up to Bev's room which was huge.

In my time here I haven't actually been in here that much. We watched a few episodes of Criminal Minds a few nights ago but besides that, I haven't stepped foot in here.

"Hey Bev do you have any snacks?" Raven asked.

"Yeah, I think there's candy in my drawer." she responded, throwing herself on her bed. Raven opened the top drawer and came back with a bag of gummies.

She opened the bag and everyone took some. They were these bigger gummy bears that looked like they were the sour kind. I put them in my mouth and when I swallowed I realized they tasted kind of funny.

I licked my lips and picked up the bag. I flipped it over and tried to find the expiration date. In doing so I read the bag itself. My mouth dropped and I gasped.

"What?" Addie asked.

"Guys we just ate edibles!" I put a hand over my mouth. Handing Raven the bag she skimmed over it.

"Bev why didn't you tell me!" she coughed.

"I forgot I had them in there." she defended. "Sorry." She put her hands up in surrender before shoving her face in the pillow.

"I haven't even eaten anything today. This is gonna go straight to my system." I admit before shaking my head.

**45 minutes later**

I look up and search their faces. Everyone looked gone. I could tell by the delay in their movements and responses.

"Hey Dani." Bev sat up and leaned against the headboard. I gave her a side eye and laughed. "What's so funny?" she asks and I giggle.

"I don't know." I laugh. These last few minutes I've been a giggly mess. I haven't been able to control my laughter. "I can't stop." I was almost out of breath.

I looked over at Raven and my laughter only got worse. She was zoned out with a dead expression and I could feel tears brimming my eyes. "Stop laughing Dani!" Addie said with a smile.

I only didn't the opposite and took in a deep breath that came out in huffs as I tried not laughing. "Ok do you guys wanna play a game?" Bev asks.

"Yeah." Addie agrees.

"Sure." I shrug. 

"Rave." Bev taps her shoulder. She seems to snap out of la-la-land and pay attention. "We're playing a game."

"Oh." she lets out a short breath.

"So do you guys remember playing that game as a kid uhm...what's this called?" She starts snapping her fingers.

"Snaps?" I question.

"Yeah, yeah, that's it. Snaps."

"Oh I remember playing that." Addie smiles.

"What's snaps?" Raven asks.

I take in a breath. "You've never played before?" She shakes her head. "You'll learn quickly."

"Yeah we'll do a practice round." Bev says.

**a/n - if you know how to play continue. if you don't either look it up or try and figure the answers out**

Bev went first.

"Snaps is the name of the game. The name of the game is snaps."

"Can you two listen?"

Snap

"Really pay attention."

"Try and listen to me."

Snap Snap

"Oh I got it." I blurt out. "Carter."

"Yeah!" she smiles.

I looked at Raven and she seemed a little confused. "Still don't get it?" I asked.

"No, I get it actually." she smiles. "Can I try?"

We nod and she goes ahead.

"Snaps is the name of the game. The name of the game is snaps."

"Just pay attention."

"Listen to my voice."

Snap Snap Snap Snap

"J-LO!" Bev screams. I turn my head at the sudden increase in noise. Addie laughed in amusement and we continued playing.

We had gone through a few more rounds but I could barely focus because I was so out of it. I had taken I think 3-4 of those stupid edibles and I hadn't eaten anything prior.

My entire body felt tingly and my giggling hadn't stopped. I was still laughing at the dumbest things. Along with that I was starting to get tired. Let's just say I was a big fat mess.

"Can we get water? My mouth is super dry." Bev slurs, exhaustion clear in her voice. I think everyone was tired right about now. It was almost midnight.

We all headed downstairs and I gripped the railing like my life depended on it. I was not trusting my footing one bit at the moment.

"Ok Ms. Cautious just get down the stairs." Addie complained. I chuckled at the joke and hopped down the last two steps. Passing by the living room I locked eyes with someone on the lounger.

His head tilted at me sensing something was up but I just laughed and continued walking. Grabbing a water bottle from the fridge I took a few sips before walking to the living room.

The guys had occupied themselves with another movie and I saw that Allie and Carter had come back. As I looked at everyone on the couch my eyes made their way back to Hunter.

"Woah..." He sat up from his relaxed position. "What did you guys take?" he asked over the TV.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to hide a laugh. I got the attention of everyone in the room and had to turn my head away.

"You are gone T. Like completely out of it." he said and I laughed at his response. Oh Shit. Really? I had no fucking clue. I laughed at myself. Here we go again.

"We may or may not...have taken edibles." Bev said the last part really softly. Marty stood up from the couch and walked over to her. He cupped her face in his hands and stared down at her.

"Bev, how many did you take?" he asked, sounding sincere.

"Like...two or three..." Her words were very spaced out.

"Babe, you're eyes."

She took in a breath. "What? Are they pretty?" she smiled.

"Yeah. Pretty red." he shook his head and I laughed again. "Why don't we go to bed?"

"Ok, but first Allie...I have a question for you." She leans around him.

"What?" she smiles.

"Do you remember how to play snaps?" Bev asks.

She seemed to take interest in hearing that. "Yes! Were you guys playing upstairs?" Bev nodded at her. "Wait, give me one I wanna go."

So Bev and Allie played a round.

"Snaps is the name of the game. The name of the game is snaps."

"Don't listen to what they're saying."

Snap

"Did you listen?"

"Don't tell me you listened."

"You said you wouldn't."

"Oh I got it!" Allie said excitedly. "Daddy!" She quickly covered her mouth when she realized what she said. But by then it was too late.

My eyes widened and my jaw was on the floor. "Bev you did not!" I chuckled looking between Carter and Allie who were just as shocked as everyone else on the couch.

What made it even funnier to me was that Allie was sitting in his lap as she said it. And it looked like Carter couldn't comprehend the words at all.

"Ok Bev if you wanna play like that, I'll play like that." Allie laughs. "Dani...do you wanna play a round?" she asks with a devilish smirk.

"Why not." I agree. This can either go very bad or very good. But it's not like I was in the right mindset to care.

"Ok but this is something you need." she hints.

"Something I need?" I questioned. What is she talking about?

"Snaps is the name of the game. The name of the game is snaps."

"So do you hear that?"

Snap Snap

"Xylophones are actually such cool instruments."

An audible gasp left my mouth as I heard Addie  laugh in understanding. Quickly after Raven and Bev got the joke letting out their own laughs.

I still looked at Allie in disbelief. How could she say that? I felt personally attacked but I just laughed it off. And to make things even worse I decided to stir the pot and give her a leading answer.

"You know what? Maybe I do." I shrugged sitting down at the foot of the lounger. I took a sip of my water as I heard Allie giggle.

"Can someone please explain what's going on?" Briggs asked.

"Yeah what did she say?" Hunter asked.

I turned around and my eyes widened. Before any of the girls could say anything I shut it down. "Nothing. She said nothing." I shot Allie a look and saw her biting her lip, containing a laugh.

I laid back on the footrest of the lounger and even as uncomfortable as it was, I felt my eyes closing. How was I that tired?

"Oh my god guys. It's 12:06."

I took a short breath. "Merry Christmas..." I threw my hands up but they didn't stay there for long, eventually dropping to my sides.

"Yayyy..." Bev drew out softly. "Ok goodnight I'm tired." she said before I heard her leave the room.

It didn't take long for everyone to admit their exhaustion. Allie and Carter were the next to head upstairs. Everyone else, as in every other couple, found a spot on the couch and cuddled up.

Jason was already in the armchair and he already had his eyes shut. I sat up and wanted to scoot back so I could lay on the lounger but someone was already sitting there.

I whip my head around. "Move. Ugly." I try shoving his legs off but he doesn't budge.

"I was already laying here. I'm not moving." he whispers.

Not trying to argue, I decided to leave it. But I wasn't moving either so I had to do something. Scooting farther back I lay down and rest my head against his stomach.

That was a poor choice because his abs felt like rocks. It was just as uncomfortable. "Why are your abs so hard?" I whined. Pushing myself up I placed one hand on his stomach and felt his muscles contract as he laughed.

My eyes couldn't stay more than halfway open at this point. If I couldn't get comfortable here I had to find another spot. But I really, really didn't want to get up.

My thoughts were interrupted when I felt Hunter gently grab my forearm and pull me up beside him. I laid down next to him, much more comfortable than before.

One of his hands was under his head as his other arm draped over my head and his fingers lightly brushed my shoulder. I turned onto my side and placed my arm across his chest.

I couldn't fight off my exhaustion anymore. The last thing I felt was his arm pull me closer before I fell asleep.

They cuddled. THEY CUDDLED.

I thought this chapter was quite funny but you guys are going to love me for this next one.

It only gets better :)))

Thoughts???

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 68.9K 48
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝Our eyes met, Our bodies touched, Our hearts fell.....all the way down in love,❞ A Shy Senior Year College Girl A P...
71.4K 2.9K 43
All Rémy Miller has ever known are lies until someone is able to give him the life changing truth. When studying at Harvard University, his path unex...
684K 15.6K 41
Kiya's life lacks excitement. However, one day, while she is singing in her dorm bathroom, someone joins in on the other side of the wall. Initially...
2.4M 77.8K 45
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. There's a thin line between love and hate. One thing Rosalie Jackson knows for sure is that what she feels towards s...