Project: Shimmer (ii Blue Eye...

By _LettermanJacket_

Mephone has always been terrified of Cobs, but the brain can only take so much scrutiny. Mephone snaps after... More

[0] Why hello there
[1] -The Calm Before The Storm-
[2] -Hot Air Balloons-
[3] -Into The Depths part 1-
[4] -Into The Depths part 2-
[5] -You Are Just A Creation-
[6] -Sometimes We Kill The People We Hate-
[7] -The Mind Of A Meeple Machine-
[8] -Welcome To The Cecil Hotel-
[9] -Houston, We Have A Problem-
[10] -Even In Death He Owns Me-
[11] -Sick Days-
[12] -Pins And Needles-
[13] -Dead Lullabies-
[14] -I Missed You-
[15] -2am Talks-
[16] -They Know...-
[17] -Red Light-
[18] -Run Away. Coward-
[19] -Where Did The Time Go?-
[20] -Home-
[21] ~Hit Refresh and Forget~
[22] ~The Right Thing~
[23] ~Jigsaw Puzzle~
[24] ~Grieve The Devil~
[25] ~Violet Skies~
[26] ~Turning Out~
[27] ~Murphy's Law~
[28] ~Good Pretender~
[30] ~Hey Brother~
[31] ~Talk To Me~
[32] ~Stuck in The Middle of it All~
[33] ~Brutal~
[34] ~Sweet Things~

[29] ~False Confidence~

1.4K 39 122
By _LettermanJacket_

~~~~~~~~~~~

    4S couldn't stop himself from letting out a pained hiss as he stood in front of the familiar office door. Cobs knew he was there, he was sure of it, but he also knew by now that the tech giant wouldn't be helping him inside any time soon. His entire body was sore and exhausted from the assignment.....which admittedly, went as horribly as it possibly could have.

    Time travel....time travel of all things was the thing to ruin him. After killing Mephone4, 4S decided to have a little fun with the foolish contestants before heading back, which proved to be a horrific misstep on his part. He had already completed the assignment, well.... partly. He was unable to locate the Mepad. But he had Mephone4 in his grasp! It was sitting literally right in front of him, down and out with no chance of recovery but instead of cutting his losses and coming back with one of two Meeple devices. He got cocky and came back with sore limbs, quicksand still probably stuck on him somewhere, and absolutely nothing to show for his efforts.

    4S was livid to say the least, but nothing compared to the overwhelming anxiety he felt infront of that door. Cobs was waiting for him, he couldn't just stand there doing nothing forever, as much as he would prefer that. Maybe Cobs would understand... A small part of him hoped, mostly for his own sake. 4S breathed in, put on his shades, and walked in the office.

    Cobs was turned away from him, his chair angled deliberately away from the door. The lack of visible reaction to his entrance only made his anxiety worse as 4S stood in the middle of the room, hesitant to speak. The silence practically suffocated him, pressing on his mechanical lungs and making it hard to breathe.

    Before he could formulate any meaningful response, Cobs spoke up.

    "I see you have failed me."

    4S flinched, the seemingly calm and leveled words cutting deeper than any knife. He knew Cobs would be upset, but he didn't expect such a blunt response. "I-" 4S couldn't speak, he still couldn't see Cobs's face and it was driving him insane. Thankfully, he turned around, but 4S genuinely couldn't tell if that was better or worse.

    Cobs's face was a mask of solid disappointment and something akin to annoyance or fury, it was difficult to tell. He stared at 4S with such practiced distain it made him back away a few steps on instinct. "I gave you 2 objectives, Mephone4S." Despite the anger in his eyes Cobs spoke in such a flat tone all it did was amplify 4S's panic. At some point Cobs must of stood up because by the time 4S snapped out of his thoughts Cobs was standing in front of his desk instead of behind it.

   4S was glad he stepped away now because even with Cobs barely moving towards him he still managed to feel claustrophobic. Cobs glared at him. "What were the objectives I gave you 4S?" It wasn't a question, it was a demand. 4S straightened up again and answered. "My objective was to safely obtain the Mephone4 and Mepad and bring them back to you."

    That was a fact, 4S could do facts, whatever unfamiliar emotions buzzing in his non-existent heart confused him, but he could work with facts. "And what did you do?" Cobs pressed. "I...I brought back neither sir...I brought back neither." It was silent once again before Cobs spoke. "And why is that 4S? Why did you fail me?"

    An unexpected guilt hit him at Cobs's words. If only he hadn't got so cocky.... 4S couldn't find an answer, so Cobs continued. "What of your abilities? The Mephone4 most certainly doesn't have as much power as you, not even close." Cobs looked him over. "Did you even use them?"

    The answer was no, no he hadn't. Over the past month the pain had only gotten worse. The more he used it, the more it hurt him. He could barely control it at this point, he felt guilty about it, but still he held himself back to save himself from the painful recovery that was sure to come after. Reluctantly, 4S shook his head.

    "The powers- they don't work the way they're supposed to..." 4S tried. "The more I use it the more painful it is for me. If I used it during the mission I don't know if I would be able to recover fast enough and-"
    "So you failed because you were afraid of a little pain?" Cobs cut him off. "You chose failing me over getting a little hurt?" 4S felt his heart drop. Whatever hope he had on the other side of the door vanished into thin air as Cobs scowled.

    "I guess I was wrong about you." Cobs pulled out a remote that 4S had never seen before and pressed a button. Out of nowhere something slammed the door open behind him. 4S whipped around in surprise, his eyes landing on a silver Mephone slightly taller than himself. "4S, meet Mephone5, the latest in Meeple technology."

    The Mephone5 morphed its hand into a knife as it stalked towards him. "Now, don't go running off, I still need you for something." Cobs spoke calmly, as if he wasn't threatening 4S's life at that very moment. 4S felt the white hot sting of shame and betrayal burn inside him, almost as searing and painful as the damage he took from training with the energy. He knew Cobs would be upset, but he never expected this-

    God.......he was such a damn idiot.

    "Given that you are now obsolete, I have one final assignment for you 4S." The Mephone5 held its ground, standing right in front of his only exit. 4S was trapped. With Cobs infront of him and the Mephone behind him he was surrounded. It was a 2 against 1 he knew he would lose. Cobs stood tall and imposing infront of his desk.

    "I just need you to stay still for me a moment, trust me, if all goes according to plan..." The Mephone5 crouched down, as if ready to pounce.

    "You won't feel a thing."

    The Mephone5 launched itself forward. 4S's fight or flight response kicked in almost immediately, making him instinctively roll to the left. The Mephone5's blade stabbed into the floor, the machine letting out an almost animalistic growl as it wretched it's arm from the floor.

    4S's brain was flying, rushing for a solution of some kind. Despite his panic he let himself remember his defense training, his feet planted sturdy on the floor as the Mephone5 prepared another lunge. The thing flew at him with intense speed, but 4S hadn't trained for months for nothing. He held out his hands, prepared this time to block the attack.

    But right before the Mephone5 was supposed to hit him, it vanished in a flash of light. 4S stood stunned before a flash came from behind him and suddenly Mephone5 was on top of him, throwing him face first to the ground, knocking the wind out of him. Somehow managing to not break his screen, 4S writhed underneath the Mephone5's hold, grunting in pain as the machine pressed on his back and pinned his hands to the floor on either side of his head.

    Cobs paid no mind to their struggle. He tidied up papers at his desk, completely ignoring 4S's pained gasps for air. "First the Mephone4 learns of its impending demise and runs off with my tech, and now this." Cobs muttered to himself. 4S strained himself to listen. He coughed, "What- what do you mean?" 4S struggled once more, the Mephone5 hitting him in the back to keep him down. Cobs looked up, absentmindedly flipping through pages as he spoke.

    "The Mephone4 was no longer of use to me long before it ran off and stole my property. Through means unbeknownst to me, it learned it was going to be scrapped and fled the building." Cobs responded casually. "Similar to how you are doing now actually. Here I was thinking you were complete opposites, but I suppose you both like to run like cowards instead of facing what was destined for you since the beginning. Shame really, I had high hopes for you 4S."

    4S forced himself to steady his breathing. "Why? Why are you telling me this?" Cobs only shrugged. "Well I don't see why not." Cobs picked up a small pile of polaroid photos. 4S recognized those... They were from back when 4S was just learning his powers, when it all didn't hurt as much...

    "It's not like it matters, you're going to be dead soon anyway, and the energy I gifted you will go towards something that can actually utilize it. Unlike you." Cobs scowled. 4S felt his previous fear and panic turn to rage and frustration. His anger morphing into a flurry of embers and heat that buzzed under his skin.

    The more he trained with the energy, the more it hurt. But it also became more present. Before he only felt it sometimes in the occasional warming of his palms. Or in the distant hum he felt between his fingers, letting him know that the energy was always there and didn't just disappear when not in use. While overtime those small moments increased in frequency, they were only ever felt briefly. A tiny flash of energy flowing through him before vanishing. But now...when his life was in danger and his brain was so foggy it was practically inconceivable, did the feeling increase tenfold.

    He felt a brief flash of panic at the rising heat, bracing himself for the familiar pain, but there was nothing. Embers gathered around his palms as his eyes lit ablaze, a crimson red glowing so brightly the light pierced through his glasses. The light gathered under his hands before exploding into a raging ball of red fire.

    4S used the momentum of the burst to roll to the right, throwing the Mephone5 off of him and sending razor sharp bursts of flame around the room. One will-o-wisp shot past Cobs's desk and towards his face. Cobs managed to clumsily dodge the small fireball, but not without the photos in his hands getting caught on the embers and bursting into flame.

     Cobs dropped the photos on instinct, the strange fire only burning half of them before stopping completely. Cobs scowled, his previously calm demeanor now replaced with complete and utter loathing. The Mephone5 was down and Cobs was distracted, 4S didn't think twice.

    4S pushed himself up and sprinted towards the door. His hand caught the doorframe, allowing him to turn and dart down the hall, only leaving a faint scorch mark behind. 4S heard a bang from behind him and distant yell from Cobs 4S couldn't make out, but he knew the Mephone5 was hot on his trail.

    4S barely payed attention to where he was going, careening around corners and bolting down hallways that all looked the same, trying to shake off the high tech Mephone. By some miracle and possibly subconscious muscle memory, 4S made it to the front doors and burst through them, almost cracking the fragile glass.

    4S looked around frantically for some means of escape, finding nothing. Absolutely nothing on the loading dock. Despite his high adrenaline, he could feel the panic start to set in. He wasn't thinking straight- all he could hear was the distant yelling of who 4S could only assume to be Cobs- the man who just tried to kill him- his own father tried to-

    4S forced the thoughts aside, making himself think for any type of solution before finally landing on something. The fire escape! How could he have forgotten? 4S turned and made a beeline for the back of the building. There was always small flying ships docked there incase of emergencies, 4S would know, he and his uncontrollable flames were half the reason they were so well known in the first place.

    4S jumped into the vessel, a metal ship resembling a small sailboat but far more suited for flight with it's jet engines and metal wings. He untied the ship, loosely remembering the explanation he had overheard on how they worked a few months ago. He pulled open the sail and practically slammed down the lever that turned on the thrusters, the jets coming to life with a burst of flame.

    And just like that, 4S was gone.

    He let himself drift through the sky, occasionally angling the sail and wings to slowly take him back down to land. He had no idea what to think... What was he supposed to think? His boss, his creator, his father- tried to murder him... 4S took off his glasses and buried his face in his hands, groaning in frustration. God, this was too many emotions for one day...

    4S wondered what he should even do. He had barely been on the ground before, he had mostly only seen pictures and had only actually been on the grass for a little more than a day. He had nowhere to go, no allies, no equipment, no destination. Just mindlessly drifting towards the ground like the failure he was. Just like that Mephone4 had done-

    Wait.... Mephone4! 4S shot up at the sudden realization. Mephone4 had learned something he shouldn't, and ran off while 4S tried to kill him. But 4S isn't trying to get rid of him anymore, meaning Mephone5 wasn't only after him, but after Mephone4 as well. He couldn't let that happen, Mephone4 was the only possible ally he had at this point, he couldn't let him die. 4S increased the thrusters power, making the ship go faster.

    He needed to find Mephone4, and fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~
°

.
.
.
.

.

.

    God....Mic was so tired.

    Not only had talking to Taco take her on an emotional rollercoaster she definitely wasn't prepared for. She also had to carry Mepad all the way back to the hotel from the contestant grounds, if only she payed attention when Taco explained how the teleportation worked.

    But she made it back with the information she needed, and that's all that mattered. Besides, Mephone would probably appreciate Mepad being back as well. But right now, she needed sleep, and bad. She gently opened the hotel doors, looking around the lobby and making completely sure the coast was clear before dragging the unconscious Mepad inside after her. She shut the door and slumped against it, absolutely drained and exhausted.

    Was this how Test Tube and Mephone felt when they came back 2 days ago? (Or, 3 now, given that is was past midnight.) She didn't even wanna know. She pulled herself up, before taking Mepad by the legs and dragging him further into the jet black hotel. She passed the stairs, thanking whatever God that existed that no one just so happened to come down them while she was in this position.

    She slowly approached the med office, because for some reason Test Tube had refused to leave it to work on digging through the file and computer despite having a whole room to herself. Mic could hear laughter through the door, which was slightly odd given the fact it had to have been 3am by that point, but not entirely impossible given the fact it's also Test Tube we're talking about. She knocked on the door heavily, the laughter immediately coming to a stop.

    It was dead silent for a moment before Test Tube opened the door. She rubbed her eyes under her glasses before looking at Mic. Her eyes immediately widened as they landed on Mepad. She stood there frozen looking between Mepad and Mic. Microphone suddenly became hyper aware of how bad this probably looked, but found she was too tired to care really.

    "Test Tube? Who's at the-" a familiar voice asked before cutting off. Mephone stood behind Test Tube, eyes wide. He stood so still Mic swore he stopped breathing for a moment as he stared at Mepad in horror. Mic sighed, massaging her temples.

    "Just... Can I come in? I have a lot to explain...."

------------------
2704 words, ITS FINALLY HERE. THE STORY IS NOT DEAD. Very sorry for the late update, this chapter unfortunately got sandwiched between me getting covid and also starting highschool. Safe to say, it's been a lot. But this story isn't dead and it won't be going away any time soon, just updates might take a little longer to come out than usual now.

Anyway, this chapter mostly ended up being a rly long flashback, more was planned for this but I feel like I should save the 3000 word chapters for act endings, so sorry about the lack of story continuation I guess.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 586 18
In which Fan never believed in love at first sight until the day he laid eyes on Test Tube. She was different, with an air of intelligence and kindne...
953 11 9
The God's world was falling apart from something that's unknown and ask Mephone to help. They passed it down to some objects that is barley a teenage...
1.1K 35 8
Cobs wants to take over the world. Typical. Hes already began part of his plan, but there is still one thing standing in his way, and that thing happ...
1.7K 66 11
(!!Please read the trigger warnings in the first page!!) I apologize for the bad writing the first chapters start with, as this is my FIRST EVER BOOK...