Mechanical Mind

By trion240

More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 1

119 5 1
By trion240

Authors note: The places and names are all my own. Everything is made up. So, I want you to know I probably need to do more research on Ai's and everything else. I hope you like the story!!

July 3, 2045

6 Am, in Mechcity's slums

Someone walks the path of a poorly structured sidewalk, drenched from head to toe in the dark skies tears. The man is resisting some underlining desire; his scarred hands are fidgeting in his pockets. His hair is dark, slicked back with grease, and his eyes dart back and forth from the streetlight and dark alleyway.

He's apprehensive, waiting for someone, for something. The only thing he truly believes that he needs, he desires this one thing. He rakes a dirty hand through the grease-black tendrils then blows hot breath into his hands. The air is frigid and smoky.

Waiting longer on his toes, and becoming impatient he kicks at a garbage can. "I-I need...I need it now!" He bellows crumpling to his knees, hugging himself, rocking back and forth. He pulls the hood off his head when he sees something. A light flickers off, and footsteps hit the pavement, at quick paces.

What's happening? Are they here yet he wonders.

"Your life support," A dark voice articulated. A shadowy figure stands by the wall of the dark alleyway. It's a man in a dark hood, and he can't see his face at all. The man stands up delighted to see his desire in the strange drug seller's hands. It's a bag of coke. He smiles excitedly as he reaches for it.

But the seller snatches the bag back tucking it into his pocket. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Greedy man. Wait a minute, I'll give you what you want, but first, pay up." He snaps, pushing the man to a wall, his nose so close to his, and cold, it touches his.

"O-okay." He stutters, digging in his jean pocket. "H-here." He hands the seller a crumpled wad of bills. He struggled against the seller's heavy arms. "Please, let me go." He begs.

"Let me count it first." He counts it slowly, then stops at the last bill. "It seems you're short a bill," he asks. "I'll give you half, for the payment."

"But I need it all." He pleads.

"I can't give it to you until I get the full payment. Unless..." The seller stops and looks at the man. "You can sell me an organ."

"N-no."

"Then shut up!" The seller shoves him back throwing the half bag of coke onto the wet pavement. The man crawls to it desperately picking it up.

"Disgusting." The Seller comments walking off.

This area of the city is full of the homeless, drug addicts, nobodies, and losers. You'd think this far in the future they'd find solutions to all their problems.

The retired people, the rich, and everyday citizens have AIs to do their dirty work, while the poor slowly rot away in the slums. The rain stops after a short while.

7 am in Mechcity

The clouds clear, and out peeks a yellow bright smiling orb. How happy it looks. The bright-lit side of mech city where the people advertise Ais constantly.

A sub-tube zooms past the people who prefer their feet over futuristic transportation. The tube is above some of the tall buildings, it is like a rollercoaster, but it's a bus that transports people to their destination.

A middle age man waits in his seat, earbuds in his ear, and a phone out in his hand. He yawns deeply, and a small kid across from him sticks out his tongue.

"Sir, you still use that old-fashioned junk?" The boy smirks. He points at his temples, two metal pieces stick to them. He's using an entertainment transmitter. It transmits waves, visuals, and sounds to his brain. The two other metal pieces are looped over his ears. That's where the sound waves are sent.

"Some people don't like the newer modifications to our society kid. We don't accept it. We miss our old days without all the ridiculous fancy technology. So, you can shove your fancy devices up your ass."

"Excuse me?" The kid's mother came back from the restroom. "What did you just tell my son to do?"

"Nothing ma'am, nothing..." He sighed, standing up. "Don't worry I'm moving my ass."

"Oh, poor baby. Was that man being rude to you?" The man scoffed as the mom babied her son. She ruffled the boy's chestnut curls and got out her transmitter. It's a substitution for almost everything.

Music, tv, and social media.

Everything.

"People in this generation our lazy, useless, spoiled brats." The man peered down at his old-fashioned phone and noticed a few text messages.

Rod: Hey, Walter u bout here yet bud?

Rod: Hurry your ass up!!

Walter: I'm almost there.

Ugh. Walter rubs his temples and pulls out his earbuds. Matchbox Twenty went off anyways. He turned his music off.

"You're here at your destination." A robotic voice announced to the crowds of people riding the tubes. The sub-tubes appeared before every seated person and they walked into the tube, and it sent them either up a tube or down a tube depending on their routes being underground or in the towers.

Well, the man stood up from his seat and stood in the center of the tube, and it shot up suddenly, encasing him in it. The tube was a strong, sturdy glass, and a cylinder shape. The tubes were somewhat like elevators.

Soon the tube traveled downwards into a building and stopped at its destination.

"You're here at building Ai's." The automatic voice announced.

"Yup, just the place I wanted to be at." He comments sarcastically. He roamed the long halls. He saw some new picture frames of different Ais hanging across the walls. He finally stopped in front of Rod's office.

Or more like lab/home. Considering how much time he spends in it and what he does in the large room. It wasn't your modern-looking office.

But this was the future. Things change over time. Life moves on with or without you.

Walter didn't like it. Neither did his grandpa. The poor guy died hating this generation. So, would Walter. He'd make it his legacy to walk in his grandpa's shoes.

Or that's what he thought...

"Finally! Walter!" Rod's loud booming voice beckoned. Walter groaned as the skinny guy came up to him. His bright platinum blond hair pierced his eyes. His place didn't change one bit. He had almost every new model, a prototype of the technology, and the new and older Ai's on all sides of the room.

There wasn't an office desk, there were tubes of Ai fuels, wires, and old and newer Ai projects set aside.

Rod was a young prodigy. He was in his late 20s making newer AIs that could do amazing things.

While Walter was forty-two. He was pretty old-fashioned. And against Ai's, entertainers known as the transmitters. There was no use for tv anymore.

"You look...eh..." Rod examined him. Walters's eyes had sleeping bags under them, his usual gray eyes were looking duller, and his black hair had streaks of gray in it, which must've been from stress thought Rod. And yet his body was in good shape, he had an athletic body, a nice build. He probably still works on cars. He was an excellent mechanic. He wore a metal T-shirt and black jeans.

"Like shit?" Walter arched an eyebrow. "I know, I've had better days."

"Well, let me get you some coffee." Rod pressed a button and out came a tiny robot server, holding a mug of freshly brewed coffee. "Here ya go, bud."

"Thanks." He tried not commenting on the robot server. They're everywhere nowadays. He sighed and took a good gulp from the coffee.

"So, why'd you want me here again?" Walter leaned against a shelf full of Ai parts and whatnot. "You know I hate this place. I can't stand seeing those Ai's. I swear they're going to take over us."

"I understand this, but please keep your mind open to new things, Walter. Everything and everybody is moving on. We see the good in technology. We're curing diseases never thought possible. Remember cancer? That's not considered deadly, nor are some STDs...Herpes, aids, and all the others are curable. With just a special medicine, supplement, or vaccine-"

"Stop right there." Walter raised a hand, disgusted. "Ya know I'm never trusting those damn vaccines. Remember in 2030? That pandemic and those supposed good vaccines? Yeah, it killed people. They didn't know what kinda shit they were putting in their body."

"Right, well, that time was..."

"Come on, Rod. You were 17, but still aware of it. I know you couldn't do a thing. You're smart enough. You didn't take it, right?"

"Well...it was er kinda mandatory at the time. For my job, Ya know I was an intern for the Ai company..."

"Well, shit kid. Thank God, your genetics our good."

"Yeah, yeah. That's beside the no point, Walts. We can discuss politics, our generation, and the government later." Rod waved his hand off dismissing the soon-to-come argument between the two of them. People always wondered how their friendship sprouted.

Their beliefs and lifestyles were entirely different. The only thing was both of them had high IQs and worked well as a team.

"So, you asked why I brought you here. Before you freak out let me show you my new prototype, it's very new...and top secret...you can't say a thing about it."

"You called me down to show me a God damn robot?"

At the time Walter didn't know nor fully understand how much that day would change his life.

Everything.

"Just listen please." Rod pleaded. "I want to show it, it's different. I swear."

"Fine," Walter grunted.

So, Rod leads him to the back of the office. Behind the shelves, there was a hidden door on the floor. "It's down here, my lab."

"Of course, you got a lab." He chuckled.

The door opened up and a tube appeared. They were taken down by the tube. And it stopped and there that annoying robot voice came on again.

"You're at your destination." It said again.

"What the"

There was a massive lab. It had multiple Ai sets against the walls, shelves, and supplies.

"Here it is." A glass case contained a young man in it. He looked perfect, with a model-like body. He was unclothed, and all his muscles were visible. This Ai looked like he worked out.

He didn't look ordinary though. He appeared so life-like.

His eyes were glassy and oriental. They contained a pretty purple shade and flakes of silver. His jaw was sharp, and his features soft, and his hair was jet black, and it shined.

There was a single crystal-clear tear rolling down Ai's cheek.

"It's...Its...c-crying...he's crying?" Walter stammered out. His facial expressions show his surprise and confusion.

"I know, I know. He's very life-like isn't he?" Rod was beaming. He had a look of pride on his face.

"What in the world did you make? It's not possible. He's human!?" Walter blurted. He couldn't grasp what he was seeing. He was viewing this very human-like Ai. It was right in front of him.

Rod pressed on the glass case, and it automatically opened up. The Ai shot up instantly, causing Walter to jump back far landing on his ass.

"Shit!" He cursed, shaking. He wasn't sure if it was dangerous. It had to be lethal. Was this even legal?

"Hi, my name is Daedalus Mneme." He introduced himself, extending his hand to him. Walter stood up, hesitantly shaking Ai's hand.

The Ai's hand was flesh, and it felt natural.

"I put sensors in him, and so he can feel touch. He can do a lot-"

"Don't tell me. Just...I don't want any part in this. What if the government figures out what you're creating? They'll take it away..."

"They won't. I know..." Rod began to say when he stopped speaking.

"What?" Walter asked him. His silence was unnerving.

"Shhhh." They heard loud footsteps, Ai cops, and a set of human feet.

"Shit, shit. What did you involve me in?" Walter began panicking. His hands were becoming clammy and he stuffed them in his pockets.

"Don't worry, I knew this was a possibility. But I'm surprised they found out this soon. Who ratted me out? Well, doesn't matter now. I'm glad I called you Walts. You're the perfect candidate, you have the honor of watching my buddy Daedalus Mneme."

"Hell, I don't. I'm out of here."

The footsteps stopped again. They were closer, then the automated voice was activated.

"They're in now. There's a door over there and a flight mobile. I want you to get on it and take my Ai with you. I trust you to watch him. You're his caretaker. Here's a list." Rod handed him a tiny chip.

"I trust you." Those were the last three words he heard from Rod. Walter started running away when he heard Rod scream, they must've captured him.

What would happen to him? He couldn't look back. He had snatched Ai's hand, and he ran alongside him.

"Come on, you Ai." He felt uncomfortable talking to it. Or him. "Uh, right, you don't have any clothes on that's just great." He saw the flight mobile, and as he approached the thing he heard loud footsteps.

"Stop right there-" An Ai cop ordered him. But Walter jumped in quickly, hearing loud electro bullets zip past him, one grazing his ear. He winced, as he felt warm blood trickling down his ear.

The flight mobile began taking off.

Walter looked over his shoulder at the Ai. He was smirking. "That was fun!" The Ai exclaimed, enthused.

"What did you get me stuck in, Rod? Why me?"

And there Walter's journey starts babysitting an Ai.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.2K 2.4K 61
๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ง๐ ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฌ๐ก๐จ๐ซ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐š๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐จ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐š ๐ซ๐จ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ ๐จ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฒ/๐ง'๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ž๐ž๐ญ-๐œ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž๐ฌ/๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ข๏ฟฝ...
218K 4.9K 71
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
261K 39.8K 102
แ€•แ€ผแ€”แ€บแ€žแ€ฐแ€™แ€›แ€พแ€ญแ€แ€ฑแ€ฌแ€ทแ€˜แ€ฐแ€ธแ€†แ€ญแ€ฏแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€ท แ€šแ€ฐแ€•แ€ผแ€”แ€บแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€€แ€บแ€•แ€ผแ€ฎ แ€Ÿแ€ฎแ€ธแ€Ÿแ€ฎแ€ธ แ€–แ€แ€บแ€•แ€ฑแ€ธแ€€แ€ผแ€•แ€ซแ€ฅแ€ฎแ€ธ
199K 2.4K 48
Valerie a high ranked mafia business women comes across a little while at the mall , she hasn't seen much Littles around . The high ranked gallone c...