The Witches (Book #1)

Bởi suzyand_

Being the new girl is tough. Being the new girl in Manyeo could be DEADLY. Bae Suzy had just moved to Manye... Xem Thêm

𝔗𝔬𝔬 ℭ𝔬𝔫𝔣𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔫𝔱
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔞𝔫𝔱 ℭ𝔬𝔪𝔭𝔞𝔫𝔶
𝔄𝔟𝔬𝔲𝔱 𝔐𝔶 𝔖𝔲𝔯𝔫𝔞𝔪𝔢
ℑ 𝔑𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔏𝔞𝔲𝔤𝔥 𝔞𝔱 ℭ𝔬𝔬𝔨𝔦𝔢𝔰
𝔏𝔢𝔱 𝔐𝔢 𝔅𝔢 𝔞 𝔗𝔯𝔢𝔢
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔖𝔱𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔊𝔦𝔯𝔩
𝔚𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔤
𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 ℑ𝔰 𝔒𝔣𝔣 ℌ𝔢𝔯𝔢
ℭ𝔲𝔯𝔰𝔢𝔡
𝔘𝔫𝔡𝔢𝔯 𝔄𝔩𝔩 𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔅𝔯𝔞𝔳𝔞𝔡𝔬
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔉𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭
𝔗𝔥𝔢 ℜ𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔗𝔦𝔪𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔏𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢
𝔜𝔬𝔲'𝔩𝔩 ℜ𝔢𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔱 𝔈𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔚𝔬𝔯𝔡
𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥 ℑ𝔰 𝔏𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔱
𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔦𝔠 ℌ𝔲𝔪𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔟𝔦𝔯𝔡
𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔶𝔢𝔬 ℑ𝔰𝔫'𝔱 𝔏𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔒𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢𝔰
ℭ𝔬𝔪𝔪𝔬𝔫 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔘𝔫𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔱𝔥
𝔇𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔠𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔗𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰
𝔅𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔨 ℌ𝔞𝔫𝔬𝔨
𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥 ℜ𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔯𝔡𝔰
𝔜𝔬𝔲'𝔩𝔩 𝔑𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔅𝔢 𝔄𝔩𝔬𝔫𝔢
𝔚𝔞𝔶 𝔱𝔬 𝔖𝔞𝔶 𝔊𝔬𝔬𝔡𝔟𝔶𝔢
𝔓𝔢𝔬𝔭𝔩𝔢 𝔄𝔯𝔢 𝔇𝔶𝔦𝔫𝔤
ℜ𝔬𝔭𝔢𝔰 ℌ𝔬𝔱𝔢𝔩
𝔖𝔥𝔢'𝔰 𝔑𝔬𝔱 𝔒𝔫𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔘𝔰
𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔦𝔫 ℭ𝔬𝔪𝔪𝔬𝔫
ℑ'𝔪 𝔬𝔫 𝔇𝔦𝔰𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔶
𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔅𝔦𝔱 𝔈𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶𝔬𝔫𝔢
𝔐𝔬𝔯𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔱 ℜ𝔢𝔟𝔢𝔩
ℑ ℭ𝔞𝔫 𝔖𝔢𝔢 𝔜𝔬𝔲
𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔄𝔯𝔯𝔬𝔴𝔰
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔨𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥𝔠𝔯𝔞𝔣𝔱
𝔄𝔫𝔤𝔯𝔶, 𝔑𝔬𝔱 𝔖𝔞𝔡
𝔑𝔬𝔴 ℑ𝔱'𝔰 𝔗𝔬𝔬 𝔏𝔞𝔱𝔢
ℑ 𝔖𝔞𝔴 ℌ𝔦𝔰 𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥
𝔇𝔢𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔖𝔞𝔯𝔠𝔞𝔰𝔪
ℌ𝔬𝔴 𝔱𝔬 ℌ𝔞𝔫𝔤 𝔞 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥
𝔄 ℭ𝔯𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔞 𝔑𝔬𝔬𝔰𝔢
𝔐𝔦𝔡𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔐𝔦𝔰𝔰𝔦𝔬𝔫
𝔅𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥
𝔗𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢'𝔰 𝔑𝔬 𝔚𝔞𝔶 𝔒𝔲𝔱
𝔚𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 . . . ?
𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔫 𝔬𝔯 𝔑𝔬 𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔫
𝔖𝔱𝔲𝔫𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔙𝔦𝔠𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥 𝔬𝔣 𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔶𝔢𝔬
𝔖𝔦𝔟𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔞𝔫 ℭ𝔥𝔯𝔶𝔰𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔪𝔲𝔪

ℜ𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔬𝔫𝔰 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔇𝔦𝔰𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔐𝔢

10 1 0
Bởi suzyand_

I grip the paper written in my handwriting and take the last seat in the last row of the auditorium. People speak in hushed voices, but the energy is high.

Principal Byun clears his throat at the podium. "As you all know, one of our own students died tragically yesterday."

I tune him out and look over my speech. My hands shake and the paper rustles. Just don't let me faint—which I have done twice since I came to Manyeo for some crazy reason. And don't let anyone throw anything.

"Sooji, if you are not careful, it will tear," Joohyuk warns. I ease my grip.

I look at the backs of the students' heads and involuntarily begin to count them. When I get to five hundred, I start to dry-heave.

Joohyuk appears calm, but I can tell by the slight wrinkle in his brow that he's worrying. "If you must regurgitate your food, I suggest doing so before the speech."

"I didn't eat anything today," I say.

He lifts his brow. "I suppose that is good fortune."

I can't help but agree.

"Now I would like to hand over the microphone to some of Kai's closest friends," Byun says, concluding his brief introduction. The Lineages take the stage wearing floor-length black dresses and appearing almost to float. Soojung carries a bundle of roses such a deep shade of purple, they look black from a distance. She places them near a picture of Kai on the stage.

Those roses! They're the same kind I saw by the lamppost in town. My mind races. Could they have been from her as well? Seulgi did say that Soojung's been affected more than most and that she blames me. Did something happen to someone else she loves?

Soojung takes the podium with the three girls behind her. "I cannot give you a carefully constructed speech about how special Kai was, or what a good life he had until yesterday. You all knew him, You all know." Her demeanor's cold and commanding. "I'm not going to make you laugh or cry or even tell you how I feel without him. My feelings are obvious. I can sum them up in one word—anger."

The Lineages, behind Soojung, glance at each other. I guess she's not giving whatever speech they were expecting.

"He shouldn't have died. It was not an accident. And the responsible party must pay. We all know who that is: Bae Sooji."

Sweat breaks out on my forehead, and I slink down in my chair as far as I can. Nausea throbs through my body, and the edge of my vision flickers like camera flashes.

"Seulgi was there when Sooji tried to attack him in the hallway. I was there when she threatened him in class. And Sehun was there to discover her bite mark on his lifeless palm."

My heart nearly stops when I hear Sehun's name. He talked to the Lineages about me? He was the only one there when I told Ban about biting Kai's hand. Has he been lying to me all along? The betrayal stabs at me, and all I want to do is run. Surprised reactions ripple through the crowd in gasps and whispers. Many turn around and search for me, Joohyuk fumes. This is my conviction. Byun stands, looking like he is going to interject.

"That's all we have to say." Soojung turns away from the podium. Seulgi hesitates near the microphone, but Soojung grabs her arm. They follow her off the stage. Soojung convinced them I had something to do with Kai's death. And Sehun . . . I want to cry.

A flustered Byun takes the microphone. "Uh . . . I would just like to say that the police report indicated that Kai's death was most likely an accident, as I said earlier. Now I would like to introduce Dr. Mang, a grief therapist, to the stage." Mang takes the microphone.

"Maybe this isn't such a good idea," I say.

"Sooji, there is no retreating. You either go up there or your trial is concluded. Soojung is victorious."

"How can I change people's minds after that?"

"You simply have to introduce doubt. Make them question their dislike of you. That should be enough to buy time. This is your chance. Do not miss it."

I take a breath. I have to focus on why I'm trying o break the curse. My dad . . . and now Seulgi. I saw her hesitate on stage. She doesn't agree with Soojung—at least not completely. I need every shred of support I can get.

My whole body shakes as I stand. Thankfully, everyone's watching Dr. Mang. I hug the wall and make my way toward the front of the auditorium. I don't look at anyone because I can't bear knowing what I'll see. I walk up the stairs to the stage.

"Steady, Sooji," Joohyuk says.

Dr. Mang looks confused as I approach the podium.

"I have to say something." My voice is quiet.

Byun attempts to get on the stage, but Mang stops him with a hand gesture. To my surprise, Mang puts the microphone back on the podium and steps away from it. I'm not sure whether I'm grateful or wish that he stopped me.

I place my crinkled speech on the podium. The room's unnaturally silent. No one moves. I don't look at the crowd. I can't. I just focus on my paper and try to keep my voice steady.

"I . . . well . . . I know that . . . I haven't made a good impression on most of you. Some of you . . . well, you have legitimate reasons for disliking me."

People begin to whisper, and the counselor hushes the room.

"Get off the stage!" someone yells, and a few people boo me.

I'm making this worse for myself. "There are many . . ." The boos increase.

Soojung yells, "Murderer!" and others echo her.

I lift my head and take in the audience for the first time. Angry faces stare at me. I clear my throat, and Byun and Dr. Mang attempt to quiet the hostile students. I straighten my speech, hoping people will stop booing long enough for me to get the words out.

In one jerky movement I knock the piece of paper off the podium and over the edge of the stage. Joohyuk grabs it mid-fall. It takes me a second before I realize the auditorium has gone silent. Slowly, Joohyuk lifts the paper. Everyone stares at it, floating in the air. I take it, but finding my place in my speech now seems silly. How can I go on like nothing strange just happened?

I scan the auditorium the way I peek at the bad cut. I have the Lineages' attention. Great. I spot Sehun in my peripheral vision, but don't look directly at him. I fold my speech and tuck it in my back pocket. "I'm not perfect. I'm far from it. I'm weird. The strangest things happens around me all the time. I don't know why, and maybe I never will."

"I can explain that paper, though. It was a spirit. I can't make friends at school, but I can with the dead. So at least I've got that." There are a few nervous laughs that end as abruptly as they start.

"And I'm pretty sure I know why Kai died, even though I don't know how." The tension in the room tangible. "But to explain that, I have to back up a bit. You see, there were three times in the years since the Trials when a whole bunch of lineages died. My spirit friend helped me figure out that these deaths happen in pattern. All the major Witch Trial families have to be in Manyeo at once. A few weeks ago, the Baes were the only major family missing. And as you may have noticed, when I moved here, people started dying quickly."

To my surprise, the crowd's not acting like I've said the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard. With a quick glance, I catch Sehun putting his head in his hands. My lip trembles.

"You said that I'm cursed? I am. And so are the Lineages, their families, and possibly this town." Actually saying these words feels oddly light. I've been running from them for a long time. "I am trying to figure it out. But I don't think I can do it myself. I'm not asking you to like me. I'm asking you to stop hating me long enough for me to work this thing out." The whispers start. "That's all, I guess. Thanks for listening."

As I walk away from the podium, a girl yells, "Prove that you can see a ghost!"

Not this again. The room waits for my reply. "No." But as the word leaves my mouth, Joohyuk lifts me by my waist. The audience bursts into shocked conversations. No one tries to get control of the situation. I make eye contact with Seulgi, and Joohyuk sets me back on my feet. She nods calmly while Wendy and Soojung battle it out on the either side of Hyeri who looks ill.

I don't sit back down in the auditorium. I steal a glance toward Sehun, but he's not in his seat. I walk through the heavy double doors and then out of the school entirely.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

3.5K 361 22
(Complate) "Jangan pernah berlebihan membenci seseorang, apalagi kau membencinya karena penampilannya yang buruk dan tidak sesuai dengan standarmu...
193K 12.4K 19
Ini dia jadinya kalo gadis bar-bar seperti Joana transmigrasi ke dalam sebuah novel romansa dan menjadi anak perempuan dari protagonis yang digambark...
3.2M 109K 23
A story between student, teacher and their scandal. Cover by : @mariestylesx
1.3M 43.9K 13
Cinta tidak harus memiliki alasan, itulah yang Alexandra Andreea rasakan terhadap Juan Alvaro, pria yang selama ini ia cintai. Ini adalah kisah kegig...