Taming A Talkative

By Olajumoke_writes

(ʙᴏᴏᴋ #2, ʜᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀɴ ʙᴏʏꜱ ꜱᴇʀɪᴇꜱ) They say uttering the Truth always, is the best policy... What happen... More

COPYRIGHT
Book Two Of Hooking The DAN Boys series
Prologue
Chapter 01- Don't Be Rude!
Chapter 02- Don't Be A Complainer
Chapter 03- The Hothead
Chapter 04- The Rancher's Daughter
Chapter 05- Don't Be Nosy
Chapter 06- Until I Met You
Chapter 07- His Demons
Chapter 08- Don't Cause Trouble
Chapter 09- Don't Be Stupid
Chapter 10- I Need Her
Chapter 11- The Cold-blodded Human
Chapter 12- Started With A Note
Chapter 13- Unexpected Twist

Chapter 14- Girl of his dreams

67 9 0
By Olajumoke_writes

Manchester

Why wouldn't he wake up? Are the treatment not working? Although, the doctor had assured us, by us I meant I and Allen's parent that he'd be soon. As he is still so weak, hence his unconsciousness. But it has been over three hours since the arrival of the doctor and nothing has happened. The only changes I noticed was that his face now held a peaceful look which indicated he wasn't in pains any more, and his body was getting a little too warm.

"I would be leaving now cos my attention is needed at the office," the doctor said, breaking the quiet that once surrounded the room.

I felt nervous instantly, as I watched him replace the now empty drip with a new one. Surely, he can't leave us alone. What if something happened and I didn't know what to do? No, I can't think like that. I would have really loved for him to be in the hospital where the watchful eyes of doctors would be. But the doctor had said something about it aggravating the situation as Allen isn't a fan of the hospital.

"Although he might have a slight fever while I am gone," he went on. "All you just need to do is sponge his body with tepid water."

"Okay," I replied. That, I can do.

"And if there's anything odd or once he wakes up, just put a call through to me or text me."

I nodded in response as he handed me his business card.

"And don't worry, he'd be fine by morning," he assured, replying my unspoken question. I only managed a weak smile at him.

Few minutes later, I and Allen were alone, I couldn't help but stroke his hands with the hope that he'd be conscious of it and he would open his eyes. But all I got were few twitches. The screen of my phone came on. Suddenly remembering the pending calls to my family and his friends asking to keep them updated. I shot a brief text telling them the latest developments, as I was too tired to speak to anyone at the moment.

I noticed it was just five in the evening and the anxieties were back. The next morning feels like a long time. I just want him to wake up now, so he can tell me he feels better. Or say something, anything. Even if it is a rude remark. I just want him to wake up.

My restlessness caused me to whisper random things to him. I wonder what Allen would say if he knew what happened today. He would only shake his head in disapproval and say, "learn to watch what you say, it's not all the time you utter the first thing that comes to your head, some people might not like it and instead of taking correction, they hate you. You really don't want to have so much haters."

Thinking about it now, he had somehow been involved in every dispute or trouble I had gotten involved, back in secondary school. Always there to have the last say or according to him, stop me from doing any more damage. One would have thought that with how big my mouth is, I'd have actually prompted some haters to gather and plan a way to sabotage me like they always threatened. But I left that school unscathed and that was coming as a surprise to me now.

I let out a loud yawn, remembering how tired and hungry I am. But I wasn't ready to leave his side, I want to be here incase he comes awake.

I must have fallen asleep because I was suddenly sitting upright, trying to clear my foggy brain on where I was and what had jolted me awake. I felt around for my phone, trying to lighten up my surrounding as it was pitch-black.

"Matilda," a voice groaned out in pain. Then as if a switch was pushed in my brain, everything came rushing back.

"Allen?" I quickly reached out for my bedside lamp, turning it on. First thing I noticed was how Allen was soaked in sweat. All too soon, I realized how hot his body was because his grip on my hand was tighter than ever.

With lightening speed, I got warm water and a clean towel ready and began drying his body, praying to God that my negligence hadn't worsened the situation.

How did you fall asleep in a situation like this? You were supposed to keep watch. I am so stupid and careless.

"Matilda," he hissed out, writhing around. I had to pause what I was doing out of fear that maybe, I was the one causing the pain and watched as he grind his teeth, whilst mumbling incoherent things in between. His fist I noticed, were tightly clamped around the bed spread. His breathing too became ragged. His eyes remained shut in all of this. Beads of sweat already broke out on his forehead. Then I realized what this was, he was having a bad dream and for a minute I was too stunned to do anything.

Do I call out his name or shrug him awake? I was still thinking on what to do, when his eye lids flickered for few seconds, then slowly came open. He blinked twice trying to figure out where he was in the dimly lit room. Then he slowly released his hands had and his breathing returned to normal. With held breath, I watched as he stayed that way for a moment before he turned his head towards me. I couldn't read the expression on his face but I was so relieved he had finally woken up. I would have immediately put a call through to his parent but his eyes kept me back. I wanted him to say something.

I had almost given up when he finally spoke, "what did your aunt put in the Akara?" He breathed.

I immediately began telling him how sorry I was about the whole ordeal and how I wouldn't have allowed him eat it if I knew about his allergy.

"Well you'd have been happy to see me dead wouldn't you?" He continued like I didn't just rant out an explanation some seconds ago.

The anger that coursed through me at that moment would have made me lash out, instead I steadied my breathing and chose to ignore him. Blaming it on what ever drugs they must have given him.
I could feel his eyes drilling holes into my head, as I tidied up the place, seeing no need to keep mopping his body as he was no longer sweating but his temperature was still so high. And I seriously doubt he'd allow me touch him.

"You aren't going to answer me?" He pressed further.

"That's because your question doesn't deserve a response," I said tightly, shooting him a brief look before picking up my phone to call the doctor. I related his current situation to him and he promised to show up in the morning.

For some weird reason, I didn't want the call to end because I didn't want to go back to finding ways to ignore the boy that I had so wished to wake up hours ago, staring at me like he's just seeing me for the first time. And I was still so mad at him. So I got busy with my phone instead.

He let out a loud sigh, "Look at me," he said in a raspy tone. And like a robot that's being controlled, I did like he asked me to. I could feel my face heat up from just locking gaze with him. I wish I had a control over that, but it's always impossible every time.

"I...I am sorry for being a dickhead. I mean, I would have died if you didn't show up at that time..."

"You remembered?" I went wide-eyed.

He chucked lightly, "You manhandling me couldn't go unnoticed." I knew he was referring to when I had to turn him to face upward. I tried to hide the silly grin that was threatening to come up on my face. Really grateful the room wasn't that bright. And did he just laugh? Some miracle.

"No I didn't, I was really gentle."

"Right."

"Believe me."

"Yeah I do but seriously... thank you. I know I bullied you all year round, still, you didn't use that against me."

"C'mon, I am not that heartless." I was tempted to say more things about how caring he can be but I held my tongue. I wasn't sure how long this moment would last.

"Yeah."

I could feel another silence building, ready to envelop us, but I didn't want the conversation to end, "Hope you don't have those dreams too often," I blurted out. I know I can be too forward but I have been worried ever since I saw him struggling in his sleep.

I saw something flash in his eyes. I know it wasn't anger but I couldn't quite place it. He looked away and I figured he didn't want to discuss it but his next words surprised me.

"Well it has certainly reduced. It isn't how it used to be when I started having them..." he said in a small tone like he was afraid of uttering those words. He isn't used to being vulnerable.

"Does it have anything to do with hospitals?" I don't know where the bravery came from but I wanted to know more. I wanted to find out what made him this way. I wanted to know why he doesn't smile like he used to. I had come across one of his pictures by chance, when he was in his early teens and he was smiling so brightly in it like he had no worries that it made me so curious on what actually changed.

His look grew intense like he was contemplating telling me or not before letting a sigh, "I know you've figured this a long time ago, I and hospitals don't get along and yes the dream has something to do with it."

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked with held breath.

"Easy there farm girl," he looked slightly amused. And I nodded not expecting him to. I was just pushing my luck.

"One more question though," I watched as he raised his brow slightly, I took that as an indication to go on, "Uhn who is Matilda?"

His body suddenly went rigid and his face had gone blank, no expression, no nothing.

"I'm... I'm sorry... I..."

"Why do you ask?" He asked.

"I just happened to hear you whisper the name before you woke up and...and..."

"You decided to be nosy," he finished off.

"No. No. It isn't like that." He raised another eyebrow at my feeble explanation.

"Well since you asked nicely, she's the one person I love whole heartedly," he confessed, watching me carefully. "Jealous?" He asked, when I hadn't responded.

"What? No." I quickly answered, trying to mask my surprise and ignore the way my heart sank at the news.

"Well guess what?"

"What?"

"You remind me of her."

"Uh?"

"Yes. Now can you stop asking me questions that I don't want to answer or let's stop talking altogether."

I can count how many times I have been too stunned to speak, but this is nothing like the rest. I have never been this dumbfounded. Like I don't even know what to say. While he sat up to help himself to the bottle water that was on the bedside table and went back to laying down, this time he had his back to me, I stared the whole time as a particular sentence kept ringing in my head. You remind me of her.

I would really like to know who she is. I was tempted to ask but I didn't want to be so insensitive. When he is much calmer and more friendly I'd bring it up or I could ask aunt Lola. Sounds like a better plan.

I looked at how his form was curled up on the bed, I couldn't help to wonder how lonely he must feel. He had gone through so much and I had this desire to help. Nothing could have stopped me from placing my hands atop his. I half expected the reaction I got as I felt something dance around my tummy. He didn't reject it, instead he laced his fingers around mine, strengthening the hold. He didn't stop there because he turned to face me once again. And I felt somewhat happy.

I noticed how low his lids has dropped. He must be getting drowsy again. It was confirmed few minutes later, when he finally shut his eyes. When I was sure he was sound asleep, I tried untangling our fingers so I could go eat something, but it was as if he didn't want to let go.

"Stay," he murmured. I waited for him to open his eyes to make sure I heard right because that simple word made me so light headed. Must have been my Imagination though.

I thought I was done crushing on this boy so bad. I guess I was wrong. I can't stop. No matter how hard I try, he does something and I get roped back in.

"I love it when you hold my hands," he breathed but his eyes remained firmly shut. This time, I can't blame it on my imagination.

On the other hand, I could feel my heart throb with joy. I can't explain this feeling. I feel like I could kiss him right now...

Get a hold of yourself Manchester. This is not real. It's just mere words. Or he might just be dreaming about Matilda, she is the love of his life. Remember?

I stopped smiling. Not wanting to hold his hands anymore, I finally untangled our fingers.

"I am not her." I whispered.

.
.
.
.
Who agrees with me that Manchester is going through roller coasters of emotions? But can we blame her though?

Allen can be pretty confusing.

I can't wait to see how everything plays out in the next chapters.

Well, don't forget to vote, comment and share with your friends. Thank you.

σʅαʝυɱσƙҽ_ɯɾιƚҽʂ.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 58.6K 77
Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to run into the schools most notorious footba...
26.3K 2K 35
"We need to talk".... "I've got nun to say to you Carru. So leave me alone".... "I said, we need to talk!".... "Who do you think you are ordering me...
871K 38.6K 36
-KIND OF MATURE- "I wouldn't fuck you if you paid me." Well, at least my question is answered. He can get more punchable. We glare at each other, I...
5.3K 1K 37
Ten different lives. Two boys. One night that'll bring them all together. Sixteen year old Nosa is okay with being a loner. He doesn't have social a...