The Witches (Book #1)

suzyand_ द्वारा

Being the new girl is tough. Being the new girl in Manyeo could be DEADLY. Bae Suzy had just moved to Manye... अधिक

𝔗𝔬𝔬 ℭ𝔬𝔫𝔣𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔫𝔱
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔞𝔫𝔱 ℭ𝔬𝔪𝔭𝔞𝔫𝔶
𝔄𝔟𝔬𝔲𝔱 𝔐𝔶 𝔖𝔲𝔯𝔫𝔞𝔪𝔢
ℑ 𝔑𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔏𝔞𝔲𝔤𝔥 𝔞𝔱 ℭ𝔬𝔬𝔨𝔦𝔢𝔰
𝔏𝔢𝔱 𝔐𝔢 𝔅𝔢 𝔞 𝔗𝔯𝔢𝔢
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔖𝔱𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔊𝔦𝔯𝔩
𝔚𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔤
𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 ℑ𝔰 𝔒𝔣𝔣 ℌ𝔢𝔯𝔢
ℭ𝔲𝔯𝔰𝔢𝔡
𝔘𝔫𝔡𝔢𝔯 𝔄𝔩𝔩 𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔅𝔯𝔞𝔳𝔞𝔡𝔬
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔉𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭
𝔗𝔥𝔢 ℜ𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔗𝔦𝔪𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔏𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢
𝔜𝔬𝔲'𝔩𝔩 ℜ𝔢𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔱 𝔈𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔚𝔬𝔯𝔡
𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥 ℑ𝔰 𝔏𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔱
𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔦𝔠 ℌ𝔲𝔪𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔟𝔦𝔯𝔡
𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔶𝔢𝔬 ℑ𝔰𝔫'𝔱 𝔏𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔒𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢𝔰
ℭ𝔬𝔪𝔪𝔬𝔫 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔘𝔫𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔱𝔥
𝔇𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔠𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔗𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰
𝔅𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔨 ℌ𝔞𝔫𝔬𝔨
𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥 ℜ𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔯𝔡𝔰
𝔜𝔬𝔲'𝔩𝔩 𝔑𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔅𝔢 𝔄𝔩𝔬𝔫𝔢
𝔚𝔞𝔶 𝔱𝔬 𝔖𝔞𝔶 𝔊𝔬𝔬𝔡𝔟𝔶𝔢
𝔓𝔢𝔬𝔭𝔩𝔢 𝔄𝔯𝔢 𝔇𝔶𝔦𝔫𝔤
ℜ𝔬𝔭𝔢𝔰 ℌ𝔬𝔱𝔢𝔩
𝔖𝔥𝔢'𝔰 𝔑𝔬𝔱 𝔒𝔫𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔘𝔰
𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔦𝔫 ℭ𝔬𝔪𝔪𝔬𝔫
ℑ'𝔪 𝔬𝔫 𝔇𝔦𝔰𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔶
𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔅𝔦𝔱 𝔈𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶𝔬𝔫𝔢
𝔐𝔬𝔯𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔱 ℜ𝔢𝔟𝔢𝔩
ℑ ℭ𝔞𝔫 𝔖𝔢𝔢 𝔜𝔬𝔲
𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔄𝔯𝔯𝔬𝔴𝔰
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔨𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥𝔠𝔯𝔞𝔣𝔱
𝔄𝔫𝔤𝔯𝔶, 𝔑𝔬𝔱 𝔖𝔞𝔡
𝔑𝔬𝔴 ℑ𝔱'𝔰 𝔗𝔬𝔬 𝔏𝔞𝔱𝔢
ℑ 𝔖𝔞𝔴 ℌ𝔦𝔰 𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥
ℌ𝔬𝔴 𝔱𝔬 ℌ𝔞𝔫𝔤 𝔞 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥
ℜ𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔬𝔫𝔰 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔇𝔦𝔰𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔐𝔢
𝔄 ℭ𝔯𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔞 𝔑𝔬𝔬𝔰𝔢
𝔐𝔦𝔡𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔐𝔦𝔰𝔰𝔦𝔬𝔫
𝔅𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥
𝔗𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢'𝔰 𝔑𝔬 𝔚𝔞𝔶 𝔒𝔲𝔱
𝔚𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 . . . ?
𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔫 𝔬𝔯 𝔑𝔬 𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔫
𝔖𝔱𝔲𝔫𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔙𝔦𝔠𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔦𝔱𝔠𝔥 𝔬𝔣 𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔶𝔢𝔬
𝔖𝔦𝔟𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔞𝔫 ℭ𝔥𝔯𝔶𝔰𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔪𝔲𝔪

𝔇𝔢𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔖𝔞𝔯𝔠𝔞𝔰𝔪

8 1 0
suzyand_ द्वारा

"Do dead people usually hang out in graveyards?" I ask Joohyuk as I step through the iron gate into Old Burying Point.

"Are you asking me if spirits spend their free time roaming graveyards with the occasional hope of scaring someone?"

"Point taken." I shine my flashlight, trying not to walk into any headstones. "Where are you buried?"

He pauses a moment. "My body is gone."

My eyes widen. "What do you mean gone?"

"I should not have told you. It is nothing you need to concern yourself about. But I believe it was dug up." He sounds calmer than I am, and it's his body.

"Dug up! Who would do that?"

"Perhaps grave robbers."

I shudder. I picture it before I can stop myself. I shine my flashlight on Bae Haneul's headstone in the corner of the graveyard under a big tree. I prefer the Changbin conversation to this one. "So this is Changbin's exceptional brother."

He nods. I pull out a small blanket from my bag and sit next to the headstone. My skin crawls. I light a candle, and the light flickers across Haneul's headstone—which has a flying skull on it. If someone tapped my shoulder right now, I would launch in the air like a cartoon character.

"If you remember it, it might be worth trying the spell you used with the Lineages.

In some ways, I'm more scared that this'll work than that it won't. I close my eyes. "Changbin . . . I don't know if you can hear me. Or if you're bound to me. But I need to know a few things. Namely, who was hanging." I speak slowly, unsure what words to use. I peek at Joohyuk.

He nods.

I take a deep breath. I can do this. I have to do this. People will continue dying. My dad could be one of those people. "Changbin, I need you to show me the face of the girl who was hanging. Show me something I can stop. Something I can understand." I wait.

"Show me what you know about this curse. I mean what I say. I say what I intend. Know my desire and give me clarity." For a second, everything's still. The wind stops rustling through the leaves, and my body vibrates. Then, nothing.

Crap. "Listen, Minister. I know you were trying to get Daddy's approval. It must've pissed you off when your little brother turned out to be smarter than you. The year after he died you wrote your book. And then you sit back while people spin lies in Manyeo, just happy about your fame. Disgusting." My body vibrates again and the air whooshes out of my lungs.

The force throws me backward, and my eyes open. The graveyard is gone, and I'm in the woods. They're different from when I was there with the Lineages. The trees are bigger, wilder. There's a large crowd of people in a clearing. I run to them, tripping over branches.

A male voice recites a prayer. Nearing the edge of the clearing, I can now see that the voice belongs to a man with a noose around his neck. Young Changbin is on horseback in front of the crowd. I push the people to get through, but they ignore me. Changbin yells to the spectators, "Even the most wicked of creatures can feign the semblance of good. Do not let this man's words deceive you. For it is his actions you must examine. I ask you. Is he guilty?"

The crowd roars in agreement, and the cart is rolled away. The man falls, struggling against the rope. I push the spectators harder. The moment I break through, the crowd disappears. There's no one left besides Changbin and the strangled man.

I can't pull my eyes from the rope. As I watch, the hanging man transforms into the girl I saw at school, her hair hiding her face. She turns her strained eyes toward me, and her hair changes from black to red. It's Seulgi. Changbin dismounts from his horse and lands in front of me. I try to get past him, but he blocks my path.

"'Seulgi!" I yell as she chokes.

Changbin grabs me by the neck, his strong hand making it impossible to speak.

"You are behind the horse. Focusing on the wrong things," he spits. The pressure on my neck increases.

I start to lose consciousness and can't hold on to the vision. I try to pry his hand away, but it's no use. My eyes shoot open, and Joohyuk's shaking me. "Breathe, Sooji!"

I gasp. "Seulgi," I manage. "It was Seulgi hanging." I stand, panting. "We have to go to her house. Do you know where it is?"

"Yes. What did you see, exactly?"

I want to get out of the graveyard. I gather my things and walk as quickly as my body allows. I can explain the man's prayer and the crowd as Joohyuk and I make our way onto the street. I describe every detail and every word I can remember. He's particularly interested in the face of the man on the cart.

"Kang Junho," he concludes as we walk along, "He was the only minister convicted of witchcraft. He was accused of being the ringleader of all the witches in Manyeo. People said he recited a prayer before he hanged. Witches were thought unable to do such things."

I trip on the uneven sidewalk. "The crowd seemed affected. I mean, until Changbin convinced them he was guilty, anyway. So what I saw really happened during the Trials?"

"I do not know. I need to locate the story's origin."

"What do you think he meant by I'm focusing on the wrong things?" I ask.

"Probably just that. But it begs the question, what are the right things?" Joohyuk stops walking. "Seulgi's house." He points up a small stone walkway to a forest green sliding door.

I walk toward her stoop. Why was Changbin so angry? Was it what I said about him, or is he really mad that I'm missing something? I raise my hand to knock, but the door opens before my hand touches the wood. Seulgi stands on the other side, looking worried.

"Seu—"

"Shhh. Keep your voice down," she warns. "It's not a good time, Sooji." Her eyes are puffy from tears.

"I know. I'm sorry. I wouldn't have come, but it's important. Remember when we were in the woods the first time?"

She nods and glances over her shoulder.

"That guy we saw crushed under the piece of metal must've been Kai."

"I didn't see anyone get crushed ." Her frown deepens.

Wait, she didn't see that? We talked about it. Actually, no, Wendy told everyone to shut up and then we only discussed the blurred faces.  I just assumed the other girls saw it, too. "Oh, man. Well, I did see that. I didn't know what it meant, until after Kai died."

"Why didn't you say anything? We could have stopped it." Her voice is now full volume.

Seulgi's mother comes to the door just as she finishes her sentence. "Seulgi, no visitors." Apparently, she knows who I am.

"I didn't know this was gonna happen. I swear. I didn't know it would be Kai," I say before Seulgi's mother pull her away. "But I had another vision—"

At the mention of Kai's name, Seulgi's mother turns angry. "Get off my property, or I will call the police!"

I have to tell her. "Please, Seulgi, you've got to listen. I saw you hanging in my vision. I think you're next!" I yell. The door slams in my face.

That was really bad. "I'm an idiot."

Joohyuk follows me toward my house. "You told the truth. You would never have forgiven yourself if you did not warn her." He's trying to be nice, but we both know I screwed up.

"I highly doubt Seulgi's mother will let her anywhere near me now."

"Well, that is fairly certain."

"I'Il try to explain in school tomorrow." I sigh. "Do you think she believed me about the vision?"

"It is difficult to tell. I think it best you explain it when your emotions have calmed."

I agree, "Joohyuk, what am I missing? What's the thing I'm not looking at that Changbin was talking about? We need to find that story about Kang Junho and see if there's a clue in it."

"Yes."

"Seulgi's ancestor recited prayers like Kang Junho, didn't she? Also, you said Seulgi got the rash the worst, right? And now I saw her hanging. They must be related."

Joohyuk pauses. "I will do some digging."

"Great." Now I need to make sense of that passage Changbin quoted in my dream. He said people don't believe in witches, because they've never seen one. Could he mean me not really believing in all of these things I'm seeing?

We walk to my house, deep in thought. If that's what he's saying, then I need to stop being skeptical and embrace this weirdness. Resisting it has gotten me exactly nowhere. Appa always says that you don't get to choose what happens in the world, only how you react to it.

There isn't much time left. But if Changbin's bound to me, the answer is here. I should be able to figure out whatever he knows. I open the door to my house and lock it behind me.

"I just got off the phone with Seulgi's mother." Yoomi says, waving the phone in her hand. "She said you threatened her daughter. What were you thinking, Suzy, after what happened today?"

I don't acknowledge her, and she doesn't try to stop me as I go upstairs. I shake Yoomi's comment off and close my bedroom's door. Things were never easy socially in Seoul. There were times I begged my dad to let me change schools. But this is by far the worst situation I've ever been in.

I take off my jacket and slump down on my bed. "I'm scared, Joohyuk. I'm scared I won't figure this out in time. That I'm not strong enough. Tomorrow's Friday, four days from when we first saw the blurred faces, and I don't feel like I'm any closer to solving this curse."

"There is something I want to show you. It may help in that regard."

"What?"

"I was not certain until yesterday."

I sit up. "Certain of what?"

He walks to my armoire and pulls Bona's letters down from the recess in the top. He removes one letter from the bundle and put the rest back. I work up.

"One of Bona's letters?" They were in my room the whole time.

Joohyuk sits down on my bed. "This is not one of her letters from Hyunwook. This one, she wrote to me. I found it the morning she passed away."

I take the envelope from him and touch it lightly with my fingertips. It's yellowed with age and has his name in beautifully written in calligraphy on the front. It smells like old books, musty and comforting.

With great care, I pull out the letter. The crease in the middle suggests it has been folded and unfolded many times. There is a hand-drawn Siberian Chrysanthemum in the corner.

I read it slowly, working out the elaborate handwriting and the sentence structure as I go. "She was wonderful, wasn't she?"

"More than you know."

I stare at the letter, imagining how he felt reading this. My heart aches for him.

"I spent a great deal of time considering that last paragraph," he says. "She means you."

He's so intently focused on me that I almost forget how to speak. "What do you mean?"

"We were meant to meet. You are change, Sooji."

I'm not convinced, but I want to be. "She wrote this three hundred years ago."

"My sister was special like you are. She did not see spirits, but she had premonitions. Our parents forbade her to speak of it. But, I assure you, Sooji, she was always right."

Was I really meant to meet Joohyuk? "What makes you think this is about me, though? I'm not change. I can't even change my own situation."

"You changed me."

"How could I possibly change you? You're so stubborn."

He smiles. "You are the first person I have wanted to talk to in three hundred years."

I want that to be true.

"And I believe that you can break this curse, that you can change your fate and those of the Lineages. You are the true reason I came back to Manyeo. I was unconsciously seeking you."

I don't know if I'm what Bona meant when she left this goodbye letter. I don't know how to be change or even how to have a civil conversation sometimes. But I want to break the curse more than I've ever wanted anything in my life.

Overwhelmed, I default to sarcasm. "Bona was right about one thing, though. I'm definitely everyone's first pick at peace."

I steal a glance at my dad's picture. I promise you, if there is a way to stop this, I will. I'll do whatever it takes, how ever many.

"You have more power  than you know, Sooji. You just have to be brave enough to realize it."

"Easy for you to say. All you have to do is bend to my will."

He smiles, and his dimples reappear. "Do not get ahead of yourself."

I smile now, too. "But that was my favorite part."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

1.1K 167 30
Hyunjin adalah manusia setengah dewa. Dianggap aib bagi para dewa karena kemampuan merusak yang mampu membunuh siapa saja, sehingga ia dibuang ke bum...
1.5M 82.3K 41
(BELUM DI REVISI) Aline Putri Savira adalah seorang gadis biasa biasa saja, pecinta cogan dan maniak novel. Bagaimana jadi nya jika ia bertransmigra...
679K 40.9K 63
(WAJIB FOLLOW SEBELUM MEMBACA!) Ini tentang Amareia Yvette yang kembali ke masa lalu hanya untuk diberi tahu tentang kejanggalan terkait perceraianny...
I WANT YOU Ning Sri द्वारा

काल्पनिक

1.9M 149K 103
Status: Completed ***** Thalia Navgra seorang dokter spesialis kandungan dari abad 21. Wanita pintar, tangguh, pandai dalam memasak dan bela diri. Th...