Flights of Fancy [JJK Reader...

By Indigo1517

[Male Reader Insert] After the death of your childhood friend Rika, who you had crushed on for years, you and... More

Prologue: And Then There Were Two
Chapter 1: She's Still Here
Chapter 2: Don't Forget Me
Chapter 3: Conquest of Monsters
Chapter 4: The Honored One
Chapter 6: Acclimating In Tokyo
Chapter 7: Two Months Later
Chapter 8: Somewhere to Grow
Character Profiles: Set 1
Chapter 9: Time Sprouts Bonds
Chapter 10: Signs of Friendship
FF Extras: Just Dance Night
Chapter 11: Unprecedented Joint Mission
Chapter 12: Clearing an Infestation
FF Extras: A Morning Run
Chapter 13: The Human Heart
FF Extras: Small Lunch Break
Chapter 14: Out Sourced Tutoring

Chapter 5: The Two Gifts

1.4K 56 5
By Indigo1517

You got your parents to drive you to the airport in the ungodly hours of the night. You could barely sleep a wink because you had slept late the night prior and needed to get to the airport early to check in.

"Yeah, I'm at the airport," you yawned as you tugged out your luggage.

"Good. Remember that the flight is around nineteen hours, so be ready for the long haul."

You rubbed your eyes, accepting your carry-on from your father and setting it on top of your luggage. "Yeah... that's the part I'm dreading the most. Where are you right now?'

"Hawaii."

Part of you told you he would do something like this, and the other was relieved that you wouldn't be spending the flight with him bothering you.

While processing this, you shut the trunk, mumbling, "You're doing the next half of the flight soon, right?"

"Yeah," Gojo answered smoothly. You could almost picture the smug grin on his face throughout the call. "I'm taking another jet!"

You motioned for your parents to begin walking, your father and mother taking your luggage without your asking, and you resigned to focus solely on the call.

"Could have told me that you were taking jets," you wondered how long a jet trip from Hawaii to Tokyo was.

"But don't get too sad about my absence. I have a surprise you might like once you board the plane. No need to thank me for that—by the way."

Giving a staunch grunt, you began to walk towards the automatic doors, "Thanks, I guess, for whatever that is. I got to go now—going to check in."

"See you in Tokyo, Pollo-chan~."

Before you could reprimand him for using your nickname, he already hung up, leaving you to sigh quietly and pocket your phone.

Check-in was a smooth process, and after a melancholy goodbye with your parents, you made your way through security and screening before finally making your way up the terminal's floors.

You got a small, overpriced drink at a coffee shop before sitting down for a short wait, whipping out your phone. Ellena hadn't responded to your last texts, and you almost hit the call button on her contact but refrained. It was late at night, and she was probably asleep.

Sighing, you leaned back and stared at the blank ceiling behind fluorescent lights. The brightness of it hurt your eyes, and you closed them if only to allow them some rest for a moment. The last thing you wanted was to fall asleep before boarding, so it would only be for a minute. In that minute, you took in the sounds around you—the quiet murmur of other waiting passengers, the rolling of luggage wheels, the clicking of heels against the floor, and the slight rustle and shift of clothes.

Someone approached, and you opened your eyes a second after their arrival, their shadow looming over you.

"You'll fall asleep like that, you know? We're about to board soon, sleepy head."

A smile broke out on your face, accompanied by a puff of air through your nose.

Huh, this was the surprise. You should properly thank Gojo for it rather than the sarcastic one from earlier.

"I thought you said that you would wait till the semester was over to transfer," you mumbled.

She gave a tiny, smug smile, closing her eyes as if she was recollecting that. "Hm, did I? I can't remember ever saying that. Must have been your imagination."

You shook your head, sitting upright as she came around the bench you were on and sat next to you.

"Do your parents know you're taking the plane with me?" She gave a pair of low hums, letting you know the answer was no.

"Not at all! They even think I'm getting an escort to Japan, but that Gojo guy apparently took care of things," you almost rolled your eyes at the chibi of Gojo that formed in your mind, sticking out his tongue and holding up a peace sign. Even without him here, he still antagonized you.

You hummed, "Did he harass you or something?"

"No, but he was kind of flamboyant that I was put off. I'm just so used to you. I guess types of guys like that throw me in for a loop," she laughed.

What did she even mean by that?

"You make it sound like I'm such a prude compared to him," you muttered, crossing your arms.

Ellena patted your arm, "Don't get upset by that now. I didn't mean it in any bad way. You're just a whole lot more chill and keep to yourself. You're not the social type, but you're a great guy when you open up."

You deflated, "Hmph, so now I'm the guy with no friends? Come on, Ellena."

She poked her fingers into your side, causing you to inadvertently scrunch your body up to prevent her from doing that again.

"I'm trying to compliment you, dumbass!" She grunted, trying to get other parts of you to jab and poke. "They're things I like about you! You're just saying that because you're jealous of Gojo! Well, news flash—you're not him!"

You had to stand to avoid her, causing her to huff in defeat.

Ellena met your gaze, frowning. "Don't start comparing yourself to him and thinking you're lame or anything. You're amazing, and I won't let you put yourself down. After all, I know you better than anyone, right?"

The words didn't come out immediately, still being gathered to be strung together and rolled off your tongue. It was true; with Gojo around, you felt slightly intimidated and underpowered. He carried himself so confidently that it was hard not to be envious.

You could feel a touch on your nose, pulling you out of your self-reflection to see Ellena gathering her things with a smile. "Come on now, we got to board, or we'll be left behind," she teased, handing you your carry-on. "Last one to the check-in desk buys the other a movie."

At least there was one thing that Gojo didn't have.

"Hurry~!"

And that was Ellena Iwasaki.

====

The first flight was brutal, and you regretted not bringing something to use as a neck cushion for the trip. Ellena used your shoulder and bicep as pillows, so at least one of you could sleep well. She fell asleep on her third film, so you sat through to watch the rest of it to get her money's worth. Eventually, you fell asleep, too, and woke up to the announcements made by the pilot just ten minutes before landing.

Afterward, you grabbed your things and waited at the airport until your connecting flight. You and Ellena tried some variations of snacks and picked out a quick bite. You got your favorite rice balls, and she tried Spam musubi for the first time. She really liked it, but it turned out that both of you completely lost what spam was even made of.

After that, you finally transferred flights and boarded your second plane, which would take you to Tokyo.

After learning your lesson on the first flight, you bought an overpriced neck pillow and managed to get more rest, but only slept a few hours to not ruin your internal clock. It would be the afternoon when you arrived in Japan, and you didn't want to screw your sleep schedule up.

So, to pass the time, you and Ellena chatted, read books, and then played cards for the better part of the journey in that order. You were on a winning streak in the last half of the game and claimed a chocolate bar she had purchased at the Honolulu airport.

"Pull up your sleeves," she demanded, grabbing your hand and doing it herself without waiting for a reply, "How are you winning? Are you using one of your...thingies?"

Thingies...

"No," you responded, amused that she thought you might be using one of your curses to win a game of old maid. "I can't just summon them whenever I want, Elle. I already explained how it works."

She scrunched her face and gave you autonomy to your arms again, huffing. "For all I know, you could be lying. That little one that doesn't like me could be glaring at me right now."

To anyone listening in, your conversation must be bizarre.

"Famine doesn't hate you," you said, although it was hard to defend that with how she acted around Ellena that day. "She's just not a people person..."

Ellena's deadpan stare said it all, and you sighed, defeated. "Okay, maybe she doesn't like you, but that doesn't mean she would do anything to you."

"This is why I like the tiger better," your best friend huffed, pouting slightly as she pressed a hand to her cheek and leaned her elbow against her armrest.

Talk like this made you forget that she only saw them once, and probably that time alone. Gojo explained that normal humans without cursed energy couldn't see curses or cursed techniques on average, but under certain conditions, like in the life-threatening kind, they could see them for that window of time. Ellena wasn't someone to so easily be dissuaded at times, so she wholeheartedly believed what her eyes saw that day on the mountains. Gojo thought it was okay for her to know this stuff existed so long as she kept a lid on it. And if she didn't, well then, she'd sound like your typical nutcase.

"He's not all part tiger," you told her, knowing Conquest wouldn't even care for the labeling you gave him. "He's a tiger and lion... A liger...I think it's called." Well, a liger as far as it could be applied to shikigami, you guessed.

She hummed, "Didn't we used to draw a bunch of stuff like that when we were kids? Like a mash of animals. But ligers and tigons exist, though...do you have more cursed animals besides those two?"

A small beep, and then the stewards were coming down the aisle asking to put on seat belts and fix folding tables into place. You had to gather your cards quickly while you explained.

"Yeah, I have two more," you said, taking her collected stack of cards. They were hers, but she rather you do the work. "But those guys are a little more trouble than they're worth...especially when I have all of them out simultaneously," you handed her back her cards in their container.

"No use in bringing out the military when all you need is a knife to solve your problems, you know?"

"Ah, that makes sense."

You wrapped up your conversation before the plane landed, having to once again go through the haggaring process of collecting your things and shuffling through the plane's aisle in a single-line process. It didn't hit you that it would be a while before you'd see Ellena until you saw the sign with her name being held up by a suited woman.

The smile on her face shortened, a reluctant look in her eye as she stopped before you could reach the gateway's end. The two of you were close to the side, so you could linger there without impeding the pedestrian traffic.

You looked at the signs and a small crowd of people waiting for others emerging from your flight, surprised to see a sign held by a suited man with your own name.

"I..." she mumbled, her voice small and breathy.

She couldn't seem to find the right words, and you also found trouble coming up with what to say. But you had to say something; otherwise, you'd lament over not saying anything at all before the split.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, okay?" You mumbled, recalling how unhappy she was becoming back in Peru. "Starting school here might give you some time to think about a lot of things. It might be a little different, but you have that room to breathe."

Ellena has always wanted to please others ever since you could remember. But a switch flicked one day, and she realized she didn't want to live the rest of her life for other people's approval. She was tearing herself over whether she should continue being the perfect dutiful child or the authentic version of herself she wanted to be.

"No one knows you here, so there's no expectation," you said, pausing to smile and add, "Well, I'll be around here somewhere, so make sure to keep your word and write to me, alright?"

She stared at you with admiration, beaming wide before chuckling. You could see the tension leave her shoulders and knew you had told her the right things.

"You really are amazing, [Name]," she heaved wispily after her laugh. One of her hands dug into her convertible tote backpack, pulling out a neatly wrapped box with a [color] bow on top. "And here I was worried about you, but I think the both of us will be alright as long as we have each other."

She held the box out to you with the traditional two hands, eyes sparkling warmly. "Here, take this. It's something I got for you. Think of it as a bit of a thank you for saving my life that night. You're...everything I can ask for in a friend."

While you reached to take the small box, she leaned in and pulled you in for a quick hug, immediately pulling away and leaving you holding the box dumbly while she hurried off towards the woman with the sign of her name. You didn't call out to her or anything, knowing she did that to make it easier on the both of you and sparing anything awkward that might come from a proper goodbye.

Your chest felt fuzzy as her last words replayed in your head, clutching the box close to you before depositing it inside your jacket pocket.

The man who held your name sign pulled on a smile upon seeing you approach him, transferring it onto one hand as you stopped before him.

"Hello," you greeted, bowing, "Thank you for coming to pick me up. I'm sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused."

"It's no trouble at all...!"

==

It was about a thirty or so minute drive to the campus. It was secluded in the rural parts of Tokyo, where forestry and green surrounded the school. The grounds were ample, making your private school seem meager in size the more you looked around.

"Ah, there he is! The little clucking chicken!"

You were lucky to have some distance between you; otherwise, you would have swatted him. Instead, the best you could do was leer at him, fixing the strap of your bag hanging off your shoulder as Ijichi helped take out your luggage from the trunk of the car.

You begrudgingly stopped glaring and sighed, rubbing at your wrist.

"Thank...you for getting Ellena on the flight with me."

Gojo pulled on a smile, the muscle of his brows visibly deepening behind his blindfold to match his smile.

"It was nothing," he said, pocketing his hands. "I'm glad you liked it. Tell me, did you two get cuddly and part ways with a kiss?"

And there went the moment.

You didn't even reply, staring deadpan at the man-child you had been stuck with for the entirety of your stay in Japan.

"Here's your luggage, Okkotsu," Ijichi said, nervously speaking up to break the silence between you.

"Thank you," you mumbled, grabbing it and grunting at the tall bastard across from you. "Just tell me where to leave my stuff, so I can go back to enjoying my time without you."

He grinned, "Irritable as ever. Alright, this way to the dorms."

You were glad he didn't try to tease you anymore, taking you to a disjointed set of buildings three minutes from the main building. Like most things here, it was huge and had a modern twist and Japanese themes. He led you deeper into the dorm building until you stopped before the second to last room.

"Here's yours," he said.

You eyed the door and then the one next to you.

"You said one of your students was already here, right?"

"Mhm. Next door to you."

After a beat, you returned to the third door you passed.

"I want this one instead," you pointed to the door, Gojo looking on with a curious frown. "If it's not taken already."

"You haven't even met the kid and already want to avoid him?" You shook your head.

He was right that you hadn't met Fushiguro, but you didn't like the idea of being so close to a stranger.

"I just think if there're more rooms, then why shouldn't I choose the one next over to give us both some privacy," you shifted your weight and crossed your arms. "Besides, I don't know how noisy I might actually be. Fushiguro might get upset by it."

Gojo stayed quiet for a couple of seconds before shrugging. "Alright, if that's what you want. I was trying to make you two become friends since you'll be the only ones here for a couple of weeks. I'll notify the staff of the change."

With Gojo's approval, you figured you were allowed to open the door, admiring how it was a traditional sliding one.

"Kind of a normal looking for a sorcery school," you muttered, noting how it was a little smaller than your old room.

"Feel free to mess around with the furniture to your liking." You looked around at the barren walls, wondering why you didn't bring more posters. "Room is practically yours for however long you stay here..."

You set your luggage beside the door, about to slip your shoes off to enter when you were stopped by a heavy sigh from Gojo.

He scratched the back of his head, looking up, "Damn, I almost forgot Yaga wanted me to bring you in to meet with him. We should do that now before you get settled in."

There was some disappointment hearing the news, as you wanted to sneak in a nap from all the jet lag you had.

"Alright..."

But you supposed sleeping this early was a bad idea anyway.

After closing your door and being assured that no one would break into it, you were led back closer to the main campus, yawning and rubbing your eyes. Just thinking about sleeping made you really tired.

You had informally met Principal Yaga through a video call before it was confirmed you'd transfer schools over here. He seemed like a sensible man, brutish-looking, but that was a shallow observation. Apparently, he used to be Gojo's old teacher when the guy was enrolled here.

The room in which you were to meet him seemed like a small lounge area, and you were a little surprised by the environment. You thought you'd have to meet him in his office.

"Here we are," Gojo chirped, sliding the door open for you. He stuck his head in, calling out to the principal before announcing your arrival to him.

The man turned to look at you, arms crossed and a scowl on his face. He no doubt was glaring under those sunglasses he was wearing.

"I told you to bring him around as soon as he arrived," the man gruffed out, brows dipping lower behind his glasses. "You had me wait all this time."

Gojo frowned, jabbing a thumb toward you, which you found a little startling. This guy was throwing you under the bus!

"Well, I wouldn't have forgotten if this one didn't demand I bring him to his room," you tried not to let the horror and embarrassment show on your face, deciding it was better to own up to it.

"I apologize," you said with a tinge of a wince, bowing. "I had no intention of keeping you waiting. I'll make sure to be more attentive next time."

Yaga said nothing, staring at your bowed form for a few seconds before waving you inside.

"Come take a seat here," he motioned to the cushioned armchair across from him.

You straightened back up, silently nodding, and crossed the room to sit where he had pointed you to. Gojo stayed by the door, stretching out his arms in a tired gesture. "I'm going to grab a quick bite while you interview him. Come find me when you're done, Poyo! I got something to give you later!"

Poyo?

That must be a new nickname he decided to tack on you. It did bear a close sound to your original one. However, it didn't nearly have the same meaning.

Blinking wearily at his leave, Yaga sighed as the door slid closed, leaving you two alone.

"I take it Gojo has already given you a migraine," he said, rubbing close around the bridge of his nose.

You pressed your lips thin, not expecting such an informal topic to be opened with.

"He has been a little... over the top..." you didn't want to seem ungrateful to him, but the guy was a handful sometimes. "But I'm sure he has good intentions."

It was hard to tell Yaga's complete expression by the lack of view of his eyes, but his body language read that he approved of your response.

"Let's hope you're able to become accustomed to it quickly," he mumbled, glancing over at the spot where he had been previously. "He will be your teacher during your first year here at the school. You'll be assigned missions and have training overseen by him."

You nodded, prompting him to move on to the subsequent discussion.

"While on the topic of training, he'll be monitoring your progress on your cursed technique. As you've already been informed, each cursed technique is curated to its user unless inherited through family or blood ties. You don't come from a prominent family like Gojo's, at least not directly, but you and your cousin share abundant cursed energy. Yours does not reach the same level as Yuta's, but it is still a great asset."

Right, you knew this already. It was a little ironic that the one who'd hide behind you and Rika would get the overpowered perk, but it wasn't something to beat yourself over. You should just be happy you had any and acknowledge it after forcing it to be dormant for so long.

"You have overall great potential as a sorcerer, but that said, you need to put in the work and dedication for it," he leaned in, resting his elbows on his knees, dark-tinted sunglasses catching the gleam of warm lights in the room.

"Why did you agree to enroll here, Okkotsu?"

That was a question you had a feeling would come up. The only one who would know your answer would be Gojo, as he was around when you were desperately trying to keep Ellena safe from that serial murderer. He had also spent some considerable time following you while in Peru and was able to gauge your relationships from a distance. The man himself didn't ask you that question funny enough, and only perhaps because he already knew what your answer would be.

You found yourself staring down at your shoes, then focused back on Yaga before you, waiting for a response.

"I want to be able to protect those around me."

That didn't come out as audible as you thought, sounding more like a whisper than anything.

You rubbed the skin on your clasped hands, finding yourself in a similar pose to Yaga.

"I understand that becoming a sorcerer should have more altruistic motives, but if I'm being honest, that's my number one reason for being here," you smiled a little, anxious to be judged by your truth. "I care about others too, but I hate being unable to do anything when someone I care about is... I've...made mistakes in my past...that I'm not proud of, and the only way I can avoid repeating them is by becoming strong."

"Is Rika's death your motivation, then?"

The chill that ran down your spine was like having a bucket of ice-cold water poured down your back. You didn't expect something like that to be brought up, so point blank.

Against your will, you could feel your heart beat a little faster than usual.

"I..." it was hard to get words out now. "It's not the only one, but..."

Yaga leaned back, the creases on his forehead deepening. "You are aware that Rika died not because of a curse but by a truck."

You couldn't even sort out your thoughts now.

"I do—"

"So, then what will you do if one of your loved ones dies without means of a cursed spirit?" His tone was like a sharp knife cutting into you. "What will you do after? Who are you going to curse, then? You won't shift the blame and curse someone as you did with Yuta, will you?"

He was stabbing into you, slashing through your shallow goals like flimsy pieces of paper. Yaga was giving you no mercy, and you felt like you were being corned.

"I didn't mean to...!" You really didn't. You didn't even know what cursing someone was at that age.

Yaga crossed his arms, looking more defiant and intimidating in your mild panic.

"You cannot hold onto a goal like that long-term," he admonished, frowning at you. "It's useless to try and think you can solely protect lives through your sorcery. There will come a time again when someone's death will be out of your control, and there will be no one to blame. A jujutsu sorcerer is not there to guarantee anyone's invincibility. They kill curses and anyone who imposes that process. Even when tasked with the possibility of death, they are to fight to their fullest capacity."

He held your gaze, pausing a bit to gauge your reaction. "Are you going to be upset when you die as well? As a sorcerer, you most likely won't experience a normal death. There will be no one to blame but yourself when your strength runs out. Jujutsu sorcerers don't have the luxury to point fingers when they're being kept busy doing their duty."

Ah...

You...understood now.

If you had any way to describe what happened, you could only say it was like silt settling in a small pool to reveal clear water. It wasn't a grand epiphany, but you could see that your goal was misaligned with what the job of a jujutsu sorcerer entailed.

Yaga let you collect your thoughts for a moment, quietly letting you formulate a response.

That's right, there was no one to blame for that day. It was just an accident that had been out of your hands. You were still so filled with grief over that after all these years; it affected how you lived now. Rika would be scolding you now if she heard you. You could only do so much, and that was no different when it came to jujutsu. That must be why it was a collective thing, a whole organization tasked with protecting others from curses. You would be another cog in the machine, working away to keep it working. If something were to happen, it would be nothing more than if you just cracked and broke. You'd be replaced, and the machine would keep trekking on.

"I understand, Principal Yaga."

If something happened, you couldn't just drop whatever you were doing to grieve like an average person. You wouldn't be able to reflect on your life if you died in the line of work one day. That was the life these guys lived. They marched on no matter what.

"Even so..."

But you couldn't just distance yourself from others like you had before. All your old friends, family like Yuta—you couldn't pretend you didn't care anymore. Even if it was something small that you could do to keep them safe...something like exorcising curses or stopping crazed maniacs like back in Peru...

"If days like that come, I want to know that at least I made an effort. That at least..."

"You promised me that you'd protect her."

That wasn't directed at Yuta at all.

The one you were angry at all this time was yourself.

"...I would have tried to protect them if they were to get hurt."

Maybe he'd think you were stubborn or selfish. In the worst-case scenario, he would tell you to grab your stuff and send you back to another plane. Maybe you weren't cut out to be a sorcerer, but was your motivation really childish? Wasn't protecting an inherent trait that these guys needed to do their jobs?

There was a small bout of silence following your admission. Yaga stared at you behind those squared dark lenses, his face unchanging at your conclusion.

And then he cracked a tiny smile.

"Very well then. Let me make your acceptance official."

The mounting pressure that had been stacked on you was suddenly lifted. You could feel your heart return to its regular pattern and the constriction around your throat loosen.

Yaga stood, and you felt compelled to do so as well.

"You and Yuta are more alike, even if you might not want to admit it," he said, stuffing a hand in his pocket. "That event changed you both. I won't get too involved in your relationship, but it would serve you two some good if you could speak to each other again."

That's right. It had been so long. Yuta's anxiety spike and your projection caused a rift between you that neither party tried to mend.

Now that you were both closer physically, you could clear the air and try to rekindle your bond with him.

"That'd be nice," you mumbled, suddenly being hit with a tiny realization, "but I think he's been in another continent for a while now."

Yaga exhaled in a puff through his nose. "You'll get to see him again eventually. For now, train and show him you can become a capable sorcerer like him when he returns."

You gave a firm nod. Yaga then gave you some details on paperwork and other schematics before allowing your dismissal. Walking out of the room felt like taking in a breath of fresh air. It was a little like being exorcised yourself; only Yaga did it through some hardcore flashes of reality. Now that you could think about it, he was sort of remarkable.

"Well...let me find him now."

==

After hearing his voice mixed in with someone else's from the small outdoor break area, finding out where Gojo was wasn't tough. That being prefaced, the area was just a canopy type of outdoor hall with a selection of vending machines. You were hesitant to approach, hearing an unfamiliar voice speaking to him, but you worked up the courage to step into view quickly. After enduring Yaga's harsh interview, you thought you could take more criticism if it occurred.

"I did say that I would be back last night! And yet you didn't even drop by to say welcome back!"

"There wasn't a need to because I knew I would just see you the next day. I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to see you."

Gojo really didn't seem popular with anyone. Nice to know you weren't the only one being critical of him.

The man gave a pout, hurt by the shorter male's words, and was ready to fire back when he spotted you at one of the mouths of the open hall.

"Ah, perfect timing, Poyo," he again addressed you with that new nickname. "You've managed to catch Megumi before he slipped away."

You didn't do anything.

You tried to convey this thought through your eyes, but Gojo was too busy celebrating to notice.

"Now, this is the newest enrollment I told you about, Megumi-chan," he motioned to you ceremonially, and you could feel the refreshing energy you had come approaching with quickly zap up into the air.

Gojo pressed his hands on either side of your shoulders and grinned widely, "He's from Peru~. And he's related to one of your senpai!"

You muttered to him indignantly. "Stop treating me like I'm a product to be marketed. I can introduce myself just fine."

"That's too bad," he presses his hands on either side of your cheeks, gently squishing them. "I wanted to show Megumi just how much I knew about you! It would be nice to show how much I care as a teacher!"

This was becoming tiring fast. You couldn't even find it in yourself to fight Gojo off anymore.

There was luck for you yet, however.

"I think he would appreciate it if you stopped smothering him and gave him his space again."

Megumi, your shining night in black.

Gojo grunted, letting go, and you stared appreciatively at Megumi.

"He's always like this, right? I couldn't get him to leave me alone for the longest time."

"Yeah, he's pretty much always like this around me. Even with the adults and staff, he's annoying."

"That's kind of a bummer to hear... You must deal with him a lot."

"Hey! I'm right here!" Gojo exclaimed, watching as you demeaned him. "Why are the two of you getting along by bullying me?!"

Megumi scoffed, and you sent Gojo a worn-down look, making him sulk.

You figured you should properly introduce yourself afterward, unconsciously extending your hand for him to shake.

"Anyways... I'm Okkotsu [Name], a new first-year transfer student. As he said, I do originally come from Peru, so sorry if I sometimes don't get some of the lingo currently used around here," he took your hand, thankfully, shaking with a firm grip.

"That's no trouble for me," he replied, sounding genuine. "I don't really use a lot of slang often, so there's no need to feel pressured. I'm Fushiguro Megumi by the way."

After a bit more conversation, Fushiguro excused himself, saying he had some business to attend to before a mission and left. It was just you and Gojo after, the latter who had gone silent during your talk with Megumi.

"I'm glad the two of you seem to get along," he piqued up, pocketing his hands. "I was a little worried that the two of you would be antisocial and avoid each other."

You scoffed, "I'm not a misanthrope. Fushiguro seems like a pretty decent guy."

"Try to get along," Gojo reaffirmed, giving a nod. He stepped closer, his right hand shifting underneath the fabric of his pants. "But now's the time to give you what I called you here for. Here you go."

He pulled something out, holding it out to you to look at before taking it with slight puzzlement.

"...Are these cigarettes?" Gojo was the type of guy your mother and teachers always warned about. Who would've known this would actually happen to you?

You gave him a dubious look, shaking the box, "I don't know if I give off the impression, but I don't smoke."

Gojo grinned, only further making you wary about the whole situation.

He tapped the top of the box in your hand, pointing to some of the kanji you couldn't recognize.

"Don't worry, I'm not trying to be a creep and give you real cigarettes," he said, implying he wasn't already one. "These aren't your run-of-the-mill cancer sticks. They're stuffed with tea and flowers instead of tobacco."

You looked at the box again, picking out a small ingredient list and recognizing the kanji for tea and flowers. Hmm, guess they really were, as he said.

"You don't need to actually smoke them, but seeing as your cursed technique works through the presence of smoke, it's a good tool to keep around when you're out on missions," he explained, watching as you began to tear off the plastic wrap encasing it and opened the box.

The scent of herbs and florals came off the box, and you brought it close to your nose to confirm that it was, in fact, herbal cigarettes.

You stared at the box briefly before mumbling thanks to Gojo.

"Thank you for this..."

It was still hard for you to accept him as your teacher, but he was already considerate and attentive to your needs like an educator. It was also tough for you to recognize when he was screwing around with you or being genuine. But in this case, you easily knew which of the two he was embodying.

"You'll just need to carry around some matches or a lighter," he added, smiling at your gratitude.

Pivoting on his heel, he turned around to begin exiting the canopy.

"You're free for the rest of the day, by the way! Get some rest if that's what you want! We'll begin training tomorrow first thing in the morning!"

You stared at his back, finding that you were slowly building more respect for him.

"Right! Thank you for today!"

==

As he said, you planned on getting some rest. But that was after you made some light accommodations to the room by setting up necessities and a poster or two on the wall. You were glad the bed was already laid out with clean sheets, as you didn't bring any of yours from back home. Maybe you could ask for a stipend to buy one you'd like, but that was something to do tomorrow and not today.

You pulled out the complementary chair included in the room with the desk, sighing and looking at your fair bit of work. With a grunt, you sat, leaning back on the wooden back frame.

By doing so, you also jostled something out of your pocket, making it fall out. You thought it might have been the pack of herbal cigarettes Gojo had given you minutes ago but recognized the item to be the small gift box Ellena had given you before your split.

After reaching down, you deposited the box onto the desk beside the cigarettes, figuring out whether you should open it now or later.

You impulsively reached for the box, untying the ribbon, holding it together, and gently pulling the top off.

Inside was a shiny piece of metal, about the third of your middle finger or the center of your palm. It had some engravings of birds and Venetian designs along every inch of the metal casing. After removing it from its cushioned box, you realized it was a lighter. You flicked the top off, seeing the wick and flint wheel in pristine condition.

It was a thoughtful gift. You couldn't help but smile big at it.

There was a folded note in the cushioned compartment where the lighter lay, so you pulled it out and unfolded it to read. Ellena's neat handwriting covered the paper, a small pen flourish at the end where her sign-off was.

Wanted to give you something so you'd never forget me. It was a little pricey, so I expect a good Christmas present this year!

You shook your head, just imagining the smug look on her face as she wrote that.

It's a windproof lighter, so don't worry about it going out if a strong gust blows your way. It's not water resistant, so don't toss it in the ocean. Make sure to put good lighter fluid in it so it turns on easily. Security doesn't allow stuff with lighter fluid, so I had to leave it empty.

Take care of your gift! I'll inspect it next time to make sure you have it!

With lots of love,

Ellena

P.S. Thanks for buying me that movie on our last flight. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

416K 18K 33
You had always thought that Obito deserved better. In fact, you would have done anything to change the outcome of his life. From his despair, to his...
10K 179 18
NO lemons this is fluff also tell me if I'm wrong. I just don't want smut or to do lemon😅and this is my first story sooooo.......ಥ‿ಥ I might not eve...
2.4K 126 24
None of the photos will be mine Never written anything ever before so bear with me, it will very loosely follow the plot, you'll recognize scenarios...
1K 73 11
Fushiguro adored that boy - maybe even loved him but it wasn't the right world for them to live in, so it ended. It ended beautifully. ♡ warning: ch...