Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

79.

5.4K 173 9
By helpingthemind

Things have been calm for them.

There was no new word about the Italians, but that didn't mean the danger wasn't there. It was just as important to keep on high alert.

Bella's noticed that Tommy was starting to get claustrophobic with having to stay in Small Heath.
He's been making plans for the future of the company. Planning on creating new charities and opening new orphanages. Which Bella loved the idea but didn't know if now was the best time.
He also started distilling gin again, keeping the giant barrels down at Charlie's Yard. He even told her that he's been in contact with Alfie, looking for his help with some of the tasks, including boxing.

But Bella knew this was his was of coping, he was stressed and didn't want her to see it. So she let him do what he needs to.

In fact, Tommy hasn't let her leave his side. He wanted her as close as possible to him. He wouldn't risk something happening and him not even knowing about it.
Especially after Bella and Vinny's conversation, he didn't know what his intentions were now.

So that's where they were, in Tommy office on Watery Lane.

It felt really nostalgic for Bella. This is where she became close with Tommy. Where he gave her job when she needed help. They'd spend hours in this office together.
It was where she fell in love with him.

She peaked up at him with her memory. She sat in a lounge chair Tommy had brought in a week ago. Since she was pregnant and spending so much time in here, he didn't want her sitting on an uncomfortable wooden chair. She had a book in her hand, but as usual her mind kept drifting before she'd get to the bottom of the page.
So instead she took to watching her fiancé as he feverishly looked down at the papers on his desk. It was very quiet in here today.

After a few moments, she slowly got up. Her belly was growing fast and she noticed it was starting to show more through her clothes.
Quietly walking over to Tommy, she bent down a little, wrapping her arm around his shoulder giving it a soft rub.

When feeling her presence, he stopped what he was doing, taking off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. They hurt from the long hours.
He leaned back in the chair to look up at her, she gave him a gentle smile back. One that tried to convince him everything was okay, and when he saw that smile he truly believed it.

His eyes trailed down to her stomach. He couldn't describe the feeling he got whenever he looked at it, watching as it slowly got bigger. He used one of his hands to hold hers that was on his shoulder and turned slightly so he could place his other around her waist.

"Come here" he mumbled and moved his chair so she could sit on his lap. Finally feeling relaxed for the first time today.

Bella moved her hand from his shoulder to brush it through his hair.
"So many memories in this office." She spoke quietly, enjoying the calmness in the room.

Tommy hummed in response, thinking about those times. It was where he finally found his peace in his life of chaos.

Bella let out a small giggle, catching his attention again. "Remember the time we left work early so you could take me on a ride with Monaghan Boy?"

Surprisingly he let out a small laugh as well, remembering it. "I do. I remember you wouldn't stop moving and almost made us both fall off."

"Well, I was excited! Never been on a horse before!" She tried to defend herself.
He just laughed with her, still gently rubbing his thumb over her stomach.

Once her giggling died down, she smiled at him, scratching the back of his neck. "The first day I came to work here for you, I never would've guessed that three years later I'd be pregnant with your baby and we'd be married soon."

Tommy looked at her. His peace. He's never thought of himself as a charitable man, but that changed when he met Bella. She changed him for the better, and although mistakes were still made, it was because of her that made it so important for him to right them.

"I love you, peach." He spoke with a lazy, content smile on his face.

She leaned down to kiss him softly "And I love you more."

He pulled away shaking his head "not possible"

Their moment was broken when a knock on the door sounded. He didn't even look over at it. He was going to ignore it not wanting to leave his moment with her. But once he saw Bella's face, he knew she wasn't going to let that happen.

So he helped her up, making sure she was okay. Then as she went to stand by the window in the office, he called for the person to enter.

To his surprise, Mrs. Ross walked in. The mother of the boy Arthur accidentally killed in a boxing incident a couple years back.

"Mrs. Ross, please have a seat." He greeted her, sitting up straighter

"Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to see me, Mr. Shelby." She spoke almost too confidently as she sat

Bella watched from her spot. She's heard about what happened, it was long before she was in the picture. She also knew that Tommy set up a foundation for the mother, giving her an allowance as a way to apologize. So she couldn't understand why she was here now.

Tommy cleared his throat with a nod "what can I do for you?"

She hesitated before finally saying "tomorrows the anniversary of my sons death,"
Then Mrs. Ross looked over at Bella, noticing her swollen stomach, looking back up to her face
"A loss of a child is a terrible thing to go through."

Instantly her hands went over her stomach, feeling protective, not liking the shiver that ran through her body.
Bella couldn't even begin to imagine that pain, and her child wasn't even born yet.

Tommy cleared his throat, getting her attention back on him. He didn't like the way she looked at Bella, it felt like a threat. And he'd be damned if any one threatened Bella or his children.

"And Why are you here today?" He asked as calmly as possible

She looked back over at him "I'm having a lunch. For his memory and would like for Arthur to be in attendance, as a form of forgiveness."

Bella watched Tommy, she couldn't see his face and only hoped he had the same feeling she did.

"Just Arthur?" Tommy asked

She looked nervous again, "you may come as well if you'd like Mr. Shelby. But it'd be wonderful if one of you came."

Tommy was silent for a moment, slowly nodding his head as if in thought, then finally he spoke,
"I will see to it that one of us is in attendance."

She smiled "thank you."

He stood up, gesturing to her that it was time to leave. Which she understood and followed suit, giving a nod to him then Bella, before leaving through the door.

Bella kept her eyes on Tommy's figure waiting for him to face her. He did as soon as the door closed and by the look on his face he thought the same thing as her.

This was a set up.

*****

Tommy called a meeting of the men down at Charlie's Yard.

Bella stood by his side, hand on his back as he leaned over the map of the city, pointing out the positions of the men.

"At midday, Arthur will be here." He spoke "there are two ways onto this street, and we will be watching them, we'll know exactly when the Italians arrive."

Then he stood up straight, turning around to open the crate of guns. Arthur handed them out as he gave the men their positions.

"And Johnny you'll be here. You can open fire when I give the signal." Tommy finished

"From you?" Arthur questioned surprised Tommy was involved, and quickly glanced at Bella, wanting to see if she was okay with it.
She nodded. "Tommy and I will be watching together. We can't afford any mistakes."

Arthur stepped back surprised at her answer. "Now I don't mean this to be offensive, love. But do you think that's really a good idea?" Looking down at her stomach, concerned about her's and the baby's safety.

Bella nodded in confidence "when it helps guarantee your safety then it's always a good idea."
She wouldn't lose anyone else in this family.

Tommy took a step closer to her, placing a hand on her back, looking back down at the map
"We'll be here, in the window to over look this entrance. Bella will be safe, and with me if need be."

"You still know what end to shoot with, Tom?" Johnny jabbed at him

Bella giggled, "I do, so I think we'll be safe." She answered before he could.

Tommy lit a cigarette, making an effort to blow the smoke away from Bella.
"These men are coming for my brother, and we're leaving him unarmed...so this is my Fuckin' business."

Nodded at his fiancé and brother to follow him.
Bella gave Arthur's back a quick rub "let's go Arthur."

"Look alive, soldiers!" Arthur announced and followed Tommy with Bella by his side.

It was time for this war to really begin...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 4.3K 65
On a train arrives a young woman. She's naive, she's kind, she's everything the city begs her not to be. When she meets Thomas Shelby, he is unlike a...
256K 8.7K 34
๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ข๐™š โ€ข ๐™–๐™ก๐™จ๐™ค ๐™˜๐™–๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ข๐™š'๐™จ ๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฌ, ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š๐™ฅ๐™ฉ ๐™ฅ๐™ค๐™จ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š "๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š-๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™™๐™ž๐™ง๐™š๐™˜...
460K 16.3K 43
๐ž๐ ๐จ ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐œ๐ค | โ in a fight they're malicious, around each other, they melt.โž โ”โ”โ” in which evelyn shelby falls for...
26.2K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...