Can We Keep Her?

By AvengersCompound

~ 18+ ONLY! MINORS DO NOT INTERACT!! ~ After an accident outside the Avengers Tower, Bucky and Steve take yo... More

Author's Note
The Accident
What's Inside That Counts
Juxtapose
Everything They're Not
The Perfect Spring Day
Rounding the Bases
Nightmares
Acceptance
The Feeling of Family
Moving In
The Best Man
Whiskey and Mead
What Happens in Vegas
Bon Appétit
The Binding of Three
Finding Things to Do
A First Family Christmas: Part 1
A First Family Christmas: Part 2
Practice Makes Perfect
The Big News
x Two
Baby Names
Little Super Soldiers
Welcome Home
Grown Up Time
Firsts
First Day Nerves
Loss
Teenagers
The Trouble with Time
Bringing Them Home to Dads
The First Mission
In Memoriam
The Graduation
Giving Away, Coming Together
Worth It
Expecting
New Beginnings
Someone Unexpected
When We Were Beautiful

Can We Keep Her? - All the Things You Can Have (and the One Thing You Can't)

6.1K 188 16
By AvengersCompound

Steve sat on the bench in Central Park nursing a cup of black coffee. Before he met you; this burned, bitter version you could get just about everywhere and he drank black, was just how he liked it. Now after nine months of dating and over a year of living together, he'd started getting a sweet tooth. Shitty black coffee he paid a dollar for didn't cut it anymore. He needed it to be espresso. Having a flavored syrup was nice. A little bit of chocolate was even better. He especially liked it when it was dusted over the top of thick milk foam.

He took another sip and grimaced. It was coming into spring. The flowers in the park were just starting to bloom and the air was just warming up again. It was also fast approaching the second anniversary of the day you'd been hit by a bike messenger outside the tower.

As Steve sat, just enjoying the early afternoon sun, a horse and carriage trotted by. There were a bride and groom sitting in the back, cuddled up close to each other. The carriage pulled into the driveway out the front of Tavern on the Green and the two got out and proceed to have photos taken around the garden. Steve watched as they posed kissing, holding hands, and staring off into the middle distance, feeling a slight pang of regret. For a moment he didn't even know where it came from. He was happy with two people who he loved deeply. The two people that loved him back - one of whom he'd grown up completely in love with and had never thought he'd be lucky enough to actually end up with.

So even though he felt much luckier than most men, he had grown up expecting to get married. He had never thought he'd get married in a place like Tavern on the Green but he did picture a small wedding in a church in Brooklyn, and a reception on some tables set up in the alley beside his building.

With the life he'd chosen, that was not really an option anymore. He couldn't pick one of you over the other, and while he could now marry Bucky where that was not the case growing up, the world was not at a place where he could marry you both. Seeing other people get to have that, even with the fact what he did have was more than he could have ever hoped for, made him feel that small twinge of envy.

"I hate you, you know," Sam said, collapsing down on the bench next to him. He was sweat-stained and panting, his hand rested on his chest just above his heart and he drank water from the sports bottle he'd carried with him.

Steve chuckled. "I don't make you try and keep up with me," he said, picking up the coffee he'd bought Sam and offering it to him.

"Nah. Thanks, man. I can't drink that since your girl moved into the building," Sam said, waving it away.

"I'm the same. I don't know why I keep buying it," Steve agreed, still watching the bride and groom. "We should stop by the shop on the way home. Get some decent coffee."

"Already planned to," Sam said. "You know them?" he added, gesturing to the bride and groom with his bottle.

Steve shook his head. "No. Just thinking of the things we can't have."

Sam laughed and nudged his friend. "You can have that."

"Sam..." Steve said, his voice resigned to start the lecture about legality and choosing one of you over the other.

"Not legally. But why not? You can have a ceremony. Dress up. Get up in front of your friends and say I do. Have the party. Cut the cake. Damn, imagine the cake, Cap," Sam said, looking off into the middle distance wistfully.

"People do that?" Steve asked, still unsure.

"Sure. It's a commitment ceremony. Is it the same as getting married? No. All the legal stuff isn't part of it. Most people won't recognize you as being married. But you can have rings. You can even change your names if you want," Sam explained. "I think you should do it for the cake."

Steve strummed his fingers on the side of the bench and looked over at the bride and groom who were now heading into the restaurant. "Would you help me find rings?"

Sam clapped Steve on the back. "Who are you talkin' to? We can rope in Nat too if you want."

"And you'll be my best man?" Steve asked.

"Of course. Who else would be?" Sam teased. "Let's get going. I really want one of those cookie dough truffles she makes."

You and Bucky walked hand in hand following a very nervous-looking Steve Rogers. He'd said he wanted to go to Coney Island again. It had come completely out of the blue, but you and Bucky went along because it sounded like fun. You had assumed you'd be catching the subway, but instead there had been a car waiting for you. Not just a car either; it was a stretch limo. You had driven there silently trying to communicate your complete confusion with Bucky. He looked just as confused as you felt. When you'd finally arrived the limo caught the attention of everyone in the area and Steve was immediately set upon for autographs. It had taken you at least twenty minutes to get away from them.

Now Steve strode ahead of you, not stopping for anything.

"Steve, aren't we going to ride anything? I wanted to go on the Brooklyn Flyer," you half whined, catching up to him and grabbing his hand.

"Yeah, and I want to go on the water one," Bucky added.

Steve's hand closed around yours. His palm was clammy and he kept fiddling with your fingers. "I wanted to do Deno's, not Luna Park. Ride the Wonder Wheel."

Both you and Bucky whined. "Really? But that parks for kids," you said.

"We don't have to go on the cyclone if you're scared," Bucky added.

Steve stopped and looked at you like a deer trapped in headlights. "We - uh - we can go into Coney Island after. I just want to see the view," he stammered. He then turned to Bucky and punched him in the arm. "I'm not scared to ride the Cyclone."

"Fine. We'll go ride the Wonder Wheel," you groaned and the three of you started moving again. "What has gotten into you today?"

"Nothing. Can we just go?" Steve snarked.

You looked at Bucky with your eyebrows raised. He just shrugged and shook his head.

You followed Steve down to the entrance of Deno's and into the small park. "Before we get on I want to get some Cotton Candy," you said, pointing at a vendor.

"I brought chocolates with us," Steve said, not even breaking his stride.

"You what?" you asked, slightly perplexed, still looking at the cotton candy longingly as Steve pulled you along.

"I - uh - I went into the shop. They - they helped me," Steve stammered.

You wanted to ask him more but he let go of your hand and went to the ticket booth. You stopped and looked at Bucky. "What the hell?"

Bucky just shook his head. "I have no fuckin' idea."

"Did we miss some anniversary or something?" you asked.

Bucky furrowed his brow. "I can't think of one. We met you around now. But I think the actual anniversary of that is next week isn't it?"

"Yeah, next week. We're going out to dinner," you confirmed.

"Then - no fuckin' idea. He's all up in his head about something though," Bucky shrugged.

When you got on the Wonder Wheel things were no better. Steve sat bolt upright, his body completely tense looking at you and Bucky who just sat opposite him holding hands and looking out at the view of Brooklyn and the ocean.

"Remember when we used to come out here as a kid, Buck?" Steve said, his voice had the very hint of a shake to it, and you and Bucky both look at him puzzled.

"Bits and pieces. Still struggling to find it all really," Bucky answered, he shifted forward in his chair and took Steve's hands in his. "What's the matter, Stevie?"

Steve rummaged in the bag he brought with him and pulled out a box that clearly came from your chocolate shop, and clearly contained truffles. "I love you both, so much," he said and handed you the box. "I can't imagine my life without either of you."

"We feel the same way, Steve," you said, taking it and removing the lid. The tray was filled with truffles. You recognized them as the ones that you and Bucky had both said you liked best. In the middle were two little boxes made from chocolate.

Steve dropped to his knee making the gondola you're in rock. He said both your names, looking up at you. It took a moment to even recognize that he spoke. Your brain was screaming at you that this couldn't be happening. That Steve couldn't possibly think that you can get married. "Will you marry me?"

"Stevie?" Bucky said, sadly. "You know we can't."

"Not... I mean...." He ran his hands through his hair flustered. "I mean not legally. But we can still do it. Have a commitment ceremony. Get up and tell the world how we want to be together. That we're committed to each other."

You picked up the chocolate box that was closest to you. Inside was a simple ring with a band of black and silver. "I think this one is yours," you said giving it to Bucky. You looked down at Steve and ran your fingers through his hair.

"Yes. Of course, Steve," you said.

Steve opened up the chocolate box and took out a simple white gold engagement ring with a round-cut diamond. You held out your left hand and he slipped it on your finger. You leaned down and cupped his jaw, kissing him deeply, your lips tenderly caressing his. "I love you so much, Steve," you breathed when you pulled back.

You both looked over to Bucky. He was beaming at you. "Yeah, of course, I will. I just have one question. How will I wear this?" he said, holding up his metal hand and flexing his fingers.

Steve got to his feet and kissed Bucky. You leaned your head against Bucky's arm while they kissed. When Steve pulled back they both started laughing. "Maybe we can get Tony to weld it on," he joked, taking his seat again." He took Bucky's right hand and slid the ring in place. "For now, this will do. But you could always get a chain or - whatever you think."

You turned to Bucky. "Will you marry me, Buck?" you asked, a huge smile on your face.

He grinned at you. "Yeah. I'd like that."

The two of you leaned in and kissed each other just as the gondola came to a halt. The three of you got out and stretched your legs. "So now that's done with, can we go have some fun?" you asked.

Steve laughed and put his arms around both your and Bucky's shoulders. "Yes. We can go have fun."

"And you're gonna ride the cyclone right?" Bucky teased.

Steve shook his head and gave Bucky a large wet kiss on the cheek. "I am absolutely not going to ride the cyclone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

176K 3.3K 8
It's a hot midsummer day and you have nothing to do when you receive an Emergency Alert from Tony Stark himself to meet at the tower. Turns out every...
365K 8.7K 10
[Bucky x Reader] Summary: Reader is accident prone, comes from a sheltered background, and has been with the Avengers almost a year when Steve finds...
153K 2.4K 63
All of your favorite avengers! fem reader x male avenger. ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE MADE BY ME! DO NOT COPY OR STEAL MY STORIES WITHOUT GIVING ME CRED...
118K 3.3K 81
Friends since childhood, separated by tragedy. Can you seem to find each other again? Can you save each other? A Bucky x Reader story. Romance / Angs...