The Prince's Private Symphony

By demonlover07

Eloise Bridgeton is a facinating woman. She does not play by societal rules. But what happens when there's an... More

Season One
1. Diamond of the First Water
2. Shock and Delight
3. Art of the Swoon
4. An Affair of Honor
5. The Duke and I
6. Swish
7. Oceans Apart
8. After the Rain
Season Two
2. Off to the Races
3. A Bee in Your Bonnet
4. Victory
5. Unthinkable Fate
6. The Choice
7. Harmony
Whoops
8. The Viscount Who Loved Me
Season Three

1. Capital R Rake

484 10 1
By demonlover07

Well, it was certainly an interesting year. Daphne had a child with the Duke and Colin wasn't here at all, but we all wrote to him. Alex and Pen made frequent trips to us. Alex has been tasked with more diplomatic stuff by his father. It's likely that his uncle will die within the next year or two. They already welcomed their new addition, Prince Alessandro of Italy, Alara's child.

Not only that, but mother has been getting Eloise and I ready for our debut. It has been quite stressful. Now, we're back in the city. Today we are presented in front of the queen and neither El or I have come out of the room we were getting ready in.

"El, you look amazing. It's this dress. It's stiff, and white and gold aren't really your colors," I tried to tell her.

"It's not how I look!" She snaps. "It's about the walking, and the men, and then dances, and the marriage prospects."

I go over to her and hold her hands, "Everything will be okay."

~

"Are they still in there?" Alex asked, coming up to the Bridgerton family.

Violet sighed, "Yes, they won't come out."

"Well, if they won't come out, I'll just have to go in," he smirks. He opens the door before quickly shutting it again so no one will follow.

~

We look over to Alex entering. "What is the matter here?"

"I don't want to do this," Eloise tells him. "I should just stay here and read, it's not like anyone will notice."

I look at him for help "Look, El. I love you, but you're not going to be the diamond."

She nods her head quickly, "Couldn't agree more, Alex, your point?"

"Len will, which means that they'll all be looking at her, no one will pay you any mind, it'll end fast enough and then... we'll deal with the rest. I mean all you'll have to do is tell a couple of men that they should want to leave you alone and then dance with me, my brother, and you brothers and bam! The season's over!" He says excitedly. "Well, that and everyone will be focused on your brother and sister getting married."

I make a weird noise and they both turn to me, "Oh my lord, I'm going to get married. People are going to me looking at," I start trying to fan myself. "I can't do this!"

"Yes, yes you can," Alex counters, moving over to me now. "You'll be the diamond and people will love you and all you have to do is be yourself. We already have a performance lined up, if you want, you do not need to get married, we can get the whole season booked up to where you won't even have enough time, how about that?" He offers and I take a deep breath nodding. "Now that you both are ready, we should go."

~

Back outside.

"I just think it's important–"

"No, no, no."

"Gregory, you Shh! Let them come out on their own."

"Is this the plan?" Daphne asks, coming up the stairs to see her whole family waiting at the door.

"Thank goodness you're here," Violet sighs.

"They've both requested time," Anthony tells her.

"Well we do not have time," she tells them. "Stand back."

Benedict stops her from going any further, "No offense, Sister, but you are the last person they'd like to see. Alex is in there with them, everything should be fine."

"What does that mean?"

"Are we sure they're still in there?" Hyacinth asks.

"Of course they are," Francesca counters.

"Where else would they be?" Gregory asked.

"Climbed through the window, the chimney," Benedict offered. "Alex probably helped."

"Quiet! They may hear you," Violet says, scared her daughters actually would.

"Do you realize I left my husband and child at home for this?"

"I told everyone this would happen, now we're to be late for the queen," Anthony snaps.

Francesca shushes them, "I hear something."

"Anthony!" Violet calls out as he sighs and goes to open the door. Out of the door comes three or four lady's maids and then the twins dressed up in long white dresses with gold accents.

"If one of you utters a single word–" Eloise starts before picking up her dress. "Let us get this over with."

"Eloise, you look lovely," I call out to her as she walk. "Tell her she looks lovely," I whisper harshly to our siblings.

"I think you both look beautiful," Mama tells me.

"Certainly, sister. You look like royalty," Hyacinth tells me. I smile at her before going after my twin.

"Thank you, Alexzander," Anthony shakes his hand.

"You're welcome, I might've promised Eleanor that I would book the entire season so that she didn't have to worry about getting married so—" he runs off after the two, avoiding the frustrated look of Violet.

~

"Just remember to remain composed. And control your emotions. Her Majesty does not take kindly to any hint of hysterics. I found a small smile worked best to appear open and approachable, but not too eager. Now, let us see it," Daphne tells us in the carriage on the way.

"No," Eloise glares at her. Daph turns to me and I give her a sneer instead.

"Eleanor, if you are going to be the diamond you must act as such," Daphne tells me.

"She's practically melting," Hyacinth says, looking at Eloise. I turn to her to see her staring out the window very uncomfortable.

"Here. Allow me," Francesca says, grabbing the fan and fanning Eloise.

"And your curtsy, dearest. Tell your sisters how you managed such balance," Mama tells her and I try to rub Eloise's arm as she closes her eyes and tries to breathe, looking like she might swoon.

"Simply locate a stationary object and keep your eyes set. I used a painting nearby. We practiced it. Several times," Daphne says and Eloise whimpers. "You both have natural gifts–"

"Do not patronize me. And give me that—" Eloise orders, snatching the fan from our sister.

"Eleanor, please do try and talk this season. I found it best when looking for suitors to hold a decent conversation about something such as a future or our family. Nothing like politics or something that they could not keep up with such as your violin skills," Daphne says.

"Why? I thought they liked women who do not talk. They don't talk, how can they possibly talk back? Oh, and If I do I have to keep it simple and most likely in the one language their small measly little brains can comprehend. English! Not Latin or Italian or god forbid Spanish! I can also not talk about my violin skills because oh there goes their masculinity!" I rant.

~

We only had a few moments left and mother was fixing Eloise's feather. "It is not too late. You could say I collapsed. That I got something unmentionable on my gown. All the feathers affected my senses. Anything, Mama, to get me out of doing this," El begs and I stood there just trying to breathe, maybe if I just go through my cords I could forget everything in the moment.

"My darling girls. No matter what, you will always be diamonds to me," she says, before giving us both hugs.

El sighs, "If Penelope were here..."

Finally El and I are next so we stand in front of the door. I take one last deep breath and calm myself down, putting on a small smile before going out.

"The Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton, Miss Eloise Bridgerton and Miss Eleanor Bridgerton," they announce. She walks forward a bit awkwardly and then stops and the queen gives us a weird look. "Smile," I see Daphne mouth. I smile again and grab El's hand, leading us forward, carefully. I stop as someone walks in unexpectedly.

"What is the meaning of this? I've seen enough," she announces, making me shocked.

"But Your Majesty, there are still–"

"I have seen enough!"

"Does this mean I can go?" El asks Mama.

"I don't know what this means," Mama says, truthfully. El grins excitedly, taking my hand and running us out of there.

"Eloise, Eleanor," Mama calls as we leave.

Dearest gentle reader.

Did you miss me? As the members of our esteemed ton lazily sojourned in their rustic retreats, this author was doing but one thing.

Honing my skills. Or should I say, hatching my plans? No, even better. I was sharpening my knives. For all of you.

Questions abound as to this author's identity and means. Seeking those answers shall prove fruitless, indeed.

Though, this one you will be able to unearth. I speak of the season's diamond, wherever she may be. Your move, Your Majesty.

"One and two. One and two," Eloise's instructor tells her. She's been trying to learn to dance better, but she just isn't getting it.

"I do not think she's very good," Hyacinth says.

"I believe she can hear you," Benedict tells her.

"I can hear you."
"She can hear you."

"Ow! Watch my feet!" Gregory complains

"Might we be done?" Eloise asks.

"If you are to catch the queen's eye after that interruption, you must be perfection," Mama tells her.

"I believe it was the interruption that was perfection," Elosie mutters.

"I've got it Gregory," I tell him and take his place, dancing with El "One and two," I whisper and we glide gracefully.

"Shocking that Eloise Bridgerton was not named the season diamond, was it not?" Benedict asks, as Mama glares at him. "Wow, Eloise, how did you improve in two seconds?"

Mama looks over and gasps as El looks as graceful as a swan. "I can only dance with Eleanor," Eloise says.

"Was anyone else aware that dear Colin has decided to add Albania or some such place to his itinerary as he gads about the world?" Anthony asks.

"No. But how happy for him that he can simply decide to do that," Eloise says, bitterly.

"Joining us for tea, Anthony?" Mama asked.

"Uh, I'm afraid I must pass. Too many calls on my funds today. Now that the season has started, I need to fill your coffers at the modiste and oversee the hiring of extra staff. Your ring. When you get the chance, I need it. The fields by Ferryhallow. I was thinking we might hold off on leasing them due to the hard frost. And Eloise, your dancing has improved tremendously," he compliments my sister.

"I beg your pardon?"

"The frost hardens the soil, saps it of nutrients. Eloise is dancing better," Anthony repeats. Eloise and I end our dance, going to sit next to Hyacinth on the couch.

"That is very well. But you requested my ring?"

"Father's betrothal ring," he clarifies.

"Did someone catch your eye at the presentation, Brother?

"I thought all the young ladies looked beautiful," Hyacinth says.

"Not particularly. And all the young ladies looked the same. Like ladies. I'd simply like to be prepared for when the opportunity presents itself," he says, rationally. He's being very political about his, something I would more expect from Alex as he's a prince, but he's more about finding the right person for now. If he is to become king anytime soon he'll get married, but for now he wishes to try and find a love match.

"The opportunity?" Mama asks him.

"I've compiled an index of the season's eligible misses and arranged interviews."

"Interviews! Dearest, I shall be more than happy to give you my ring when you find someone with whom you are very much in love. Besides, it is in safekeeping at Aubrey Hall," Mama says. I don't think she's ready to give it up yet. I wouldn't be either.

"Very well. See that he is quite well," she tells Benedict.

"Me?"

"I'm not in need of coddling. I assure you all, everything is in order," he tells her before looking at his pocket watch and running out of the room. I am almost certain he is late for something.

"Well, I should get going. I must meet with Alex, we're going over our plans for the season," I tell everyone.

~

"Okay, so first up this season, are we performing at Lady Danbury's?" Alex asked me.

I shook my head, "No, the Queen is going to be there and will be looking for the diamond."

"Well, it'll be the best way to get her attention so what if we book half the night?" He asks.

"That would be a splendid idea," I grin at him.

"I hope you kids aren't in her unattended," Alara comes in asking with Al in her arms.

"Lara, we are simply making our plans for this season, must we be supervised?" Alex asked.

"Well, you both are of age now," she counters. "You could very well cause a scandal."

"Well, we're alone here or at the auditorium almost everyday during practice. The only other people potentially there are El, Alonzo or any others we're doing a set with," I tell her.

"Well, we must keep that part quiet, just say that there is always a pianist or Eloise, or one of us," she says before the baby starts crying. She tries to soothe him as she walks out of the room.

"So any plans to court anyone this season?" I ask him.

"I have plans, not sure how they're going to go, but I have a basic idea, and by that I mean I have a person in mind," he nods.

"Oh," I say surprised. "Well, I can't wait to meet them, hopefully we'll become good friends. Maybe she'll help take some of the weight of your father's stress off of you, lord knows I've been trying." I stay for a while longer, deciding which balls to perform or attend and for the different operas and concerts for the social season.

~

I hold onto Anthony's arm as El holds Mama's. "I must admit. I am dreadfully nervous," I whisper to my eldest brother as we walk the path to the first ball of the season.

"Do not worry, there is nary a lady in there who could even come close to you and your talents," Anthony tells me.

"And no matter what happens, you are the true gem here, sister," Benedict says. "And I shall finally get to see your and Alex's wonderful duo."

I laugh, "thank you Benedict, I thought you were incapable of being nice." We walked through the doors and I let go of Anthony.

"Stop fussing with your dress," Anthony tells Eloise as she moves around uncomfortably.

"You look lovely, dear."

"I look like a prize calf, trussed up for auction," El complains and Ben moos, making me hit him a little and Anthony tries his hardest not to smile.

"Even Daphne felt most apprehensive at her first official ball, and look how well her season turned out," Mama tried to calm her and El just looked exasperated.

"Oh, right." All of a sudden a young boy with bright red curly hair comes up to us and Ben wraps his arms around ours.

"Come, Sisters. The cakes at these occasions are surprisingly good," he says, taking us away.

He takes us to the food table where the two begin to stuff their faces, making me laugh and then I'm tapped on the shoulder. I turn around to see my best friend with a grin on his face. "Don't you look wonderful."

"Well, thank you Alexzander, but I believe it is my sisters you should be complimenting," Benedict tells him.

"Oh, yes my mistake, you girls look lovely as well," Alex laughs. "I'm sorry to do this, but it is time for one of our songs."

"Very well, are our instruments set up?" I ask with a sigh.

"They are indeed, I checked myself," he nodded before holding out his hand to lead me to where we will be playing.

~

"There you are. Oh, Pen, I'm so glad to see you. Mama is already being insufferable," Eloise complains.

"At least she did not see fit to dress you as a sunflower. I declare a bee might mistake me for the real thing," Pen complains.

Eloise sighs, "Alex and Eleanor have already headed off for a song and I became incredibly lonely, please do not leave me."

Two young men came up to them, "Miss Bridgerton. May I request your next dance?"

"Or I might accompany you to fetch some lemonade? You seem parched," another asked.

"How can you tell? Is she wilting?" Pen asked.

"Or punch, if you prefer?"

"A plant pun, if you're wondering," Pen muttered.

"Apologies, gentlemen. I regret to inform you that my dance card is already full," Eloise says, pulling her and Penelope away from them.

"Lord Byron? Wellington? Eloise, these names are false!" Pen laughs.

"I am merely following my sister's valuable advice. She told me that it is of the utmost importance for a lady's dance card to be filled with all of the right names," Eloise counters.

"Eloise? There you are, dear. Come. There is someone I would like you to meet. Then we must get your sister a dance after she is done," Violet says, pulling away the oldest twin.

~

I grab a drink with Alex after two songs when a man comes up to me, "May I have a dance, Miss Bridgerton?" He asked.

I looked at Alex who smiled sadly before gesturing to him, "I would be happy to, my lord." He filled out my dance card before pulling me out to the dance floor. We danced near my brother and he looked at me then at the man. I smiled slightly and then looked at him while we danced.

"Uh, my lord I never got your name," I laughed.

"Ah, yes. Lord Hartley at your service," he smiled at me.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"I saw your skills earlier. It was magnificent and I hope it is possible that you will need an escort for the horse races in a few days time?" He asked.

"Well, I shall have to check with my Mama, but I believe that should work out," I nodded. Not that I wanted it to.

"Excellent," he said as the song came to an end. "And if you happen to still have a dance space left at the end of the night, feel free to come find me."

I nodded and walked over to the first person I could find, which was my Mama and Eloise. She introduced us to a couple of people until she turned her back for a second and Eloise and I slipped away. "Ah. Pen! Pen. Are you going somewhere?" El asked her.

"I was just getting some air. It is so very stifling in the ballroom," Pen explained.

"The air or the dreary conversation?" Eloise asked, making both of us laugh. "I do suppose this is the one benefit of being out. I have you to run off with. We shall never have to be alone."

"My thoughts exactly," Pen laughed.

"Hey, what about Alex and I?" I asked.

"Oh, you're always with your violin. I love you, but if you leave me alone too long, someone could try and talk to me," Eloise laughed.

"Speaking of music, I think it's about time that I got back," I told them.

There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success.

But after taking in the scene from last night's festivities, it is clear the season won't be quite so fragrant for everyone.

The Viscount Bridgerton's own mama may have loudly declared her eldest son's lofty intentions to marry, yet I cannot be the only one wondering if this former Capital-R-Rake is, indeed, ready to flourish.

Perhaps the viscount, like the rest of us, is simply waiting for the queen to finally name her diamond.

Or perhaps this author should take matters into her own hands.

Eloise was the first one to have a caller this morning. It was the younger boy with red hair. He was very kind, maybe someday when he's older he'll find an amazing young girl for himself.

"Some tea, my lord?" Mama asked.

"Perhaps some warm milk may be better," Eloise muttered bitterly.

"Oh! Are those marbles? What fun!" He said going to play with Gregory.

"Might I go and read now?"

Though, of the many purportedly well-trained and bred hothouse flowers on display this year, this author must wonder if a more surprising choice might still be in store.

As Eloise went to leave Humbolt came out, "Caller ma'am, for Miss Eleanor, Lord Hartley," he announced. I stood up straight as Eloise moved out of the way for him and Mama came to stand by me.

"My Lord," I bowed as he came closer.

"Miss Bridgerton, it is lovely to see you again," he smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Might you like some tea, my lord?" Mama asked.

"Oh, please, if you don't mind," he nodded as we sat down. "So are we still on for me being your escort for the upcoming horse races?"

"Oh, my dear, I thought Alex was going to be your escort?" Mama asked.

"Alex?" Lord Hartley asked.

"My violin partner, we have been friends for a very long time. Do not worry though, we have always been in the company of others during practice," I assured him. "And Mama I'm sure Alex– Lord Bonaparte will understand."

Mama looks shocked, but just simply hands Lord Hartley his tea and walks back to where she was standing.

"So I know about your violin skills, anything else you would like to share?"

"Oh, I uh, I can bake, I read and write, I was told by my tutors and governess that I'm exceptional at math," I listed before cutting myself off there. "I am also very adept at the pianoforte and I sing and dance."

"Ah, yes our dance was something to remember," he notes.

My smile slightly drops, but I steer the conversation about what he would want to talk about, "Were you ever thinking of having children?" I asked him.

"Now that you mention it, I have always wanted a rather big family. Maybe 7 or 8 kids. Really fill the silence you know," he laughs. "How is it to be a twin? I've always been fascinated by it."

"It's like having a built-in best friend. I love her and I could never go a day in my life without knowing if she was okay, any of my siblings really, I love them all dearly," I say, looking at my younger siblings playing on the floor.

"Ah yes, surprised you don't have more. How was it that your father died again?" He asked. My mother almost dropped her tea and I stilled, looking down. "I'm sorry if I've struck a nerve." I look at mother and then back to him.

"It is a sensitive topic, that is all. We all loved him dearly and I am sad I do not have very many memories of him, he died of a bee sting less than a month before dear Hyacinth was born," I explained to him.

He puts his tea down, "I believe I have overstayed my welcome and just to let you know. I heard many wanted to come and call on you, but were very frightened to, many have sent flowers and gifts though, I arrived just as they were." He left and I turned to mama, giving her a hug.

"Let go see who has sent gifts and flowers," she laughs.

Whichever darling miss receives such high esteem, let us hope there is a suitor available of only the sharpest wit, lest his dry musings leave a young lady wilting like a parched rose.

"There. You see? Lady Goring was quite taken with Eloise's dress last night, Madame Delacroix. She would keep saying how well it complemented her complexion. She said you reminded her of Daphne, dearest," Mama told her.

"I am not Daphne," she retorted.

"This is the one," she says, looking at the fabrics. "And maybe the lilac for Eleanor, perhaps the mint green?" She asked, looking at me. "I know Lord Hartley quite likes the color, but Alex sure likes the lilac."

"Then why not go for an emerald green?" I asked. "As that has no effect on either men and is a color I think goes well with my skin tone."

"What about this one?" Madame Delacroix asked, showing her one.

"Oh, that's perfect."

"With pleasure, Lady Bridgerton," she said, packing up her fabrics and heading out the door.

"You do know, Eloise, that you might enjoy the next ball if you, in fact, danced with someone. Meeting new people, it can be thrilling," Mama suggested.

"Yes, it certainly seemed as though Anthony had a thrilling time. Swept away by many a nimble-footed young lady, Brother?" She asked him.

"I can still barely feel my toes. I thought you ladies were taught to dance."

"I thought you gentlemen capable of worthwhile conversation. How sad both of our hopes were dashed," she smiled at him.

"I think Eleanor had fun though," he said, looking at me and I shrugged, going back to reading. "I saw you talking to Lord Hartley."

"Talking?" Eloise asked.

I nodded, "He was the only one I spoke to, only one who seemed half decent. I've also begun to think that maybe speaking isn't such a bad thing. I can tell people where to shove it."

"I think Eloise would make a brilliant diamond."

"I could not agree more, Hyacinth," Mama agreed.

"But we all know it'll be Lenny," Gregory countered.

"Well, perhaps Her Majesty will take note at her ball tomorrow night," she says, looking at the both of us.

"I despise you," Eloise tells our younger sister.

"I should get to violin practice," I excuse myself before Eloise fights Hyacinth.

~

"Alex?" I ask knocking on his door, I don't hear anything so I open the door just to be sure. "Al– I'm so sorry!" I say, closing my eyes. He. Was. Shirtless.

"Eleanor! I was just getting ready!" he said. I lowered my hand as he placed on his shirt and overcoat. "Perhaps we should get down to the drawing room?"

"Perhaps, you should let me see that again," I say. I cover my mouth, "I didn't mean to say that."

He laughed, "Are you sure?" He asked with a smirk. I hit him and followed him out of the room so we can practice.

We set up our stands and brought out our violins. "How was your morning, I'm sure you got plenty of callers."

"I got one and he said that others were too scared to show up in person so they sent gifts, I wonder who could've scared them off," I said. "It wasn't Anthony he was too busy with all the ladies, wasn't Eloise, she was busy with Pen, wasn't Benedict, he was too busy getting drunk, so that leaves you."

"Me."

"Why?"

"What can I say, you give hints, I give hints. I doubt we make it obvious to others, but it's obvious to me," he says.

"What is?" I ask him.

"When you figure it out, then we can talk, but until then, let's play." He raises his violin and I follow suit, watching his every move as we play through one of our sets. I love to see the way his eyes light up, the way his fingers move across the string, the way he moves with the music.

Formed under pressure, desired by many, yet possessed only by a fortunate few, there is nothing on earth quite so envied as a diamond.

Might our queen finally extinguish the fevered speculation and bestow the highest of honors to a most fortunate young lady tonight? With so many futures at risk, I do suspect this author is not the only one waiting with bated breath.

"Anyone here you've not yet rejected?" Benedict asks.

"You're the artist. Do you see anyone remotely inspiring? We shall have our diamond tonight, and I shall have a wife," Anthony says, making me roll my eyes.

"Lady Bridgerton. Miss Bridgerton. Miss Bridgerton. Such a shame your presentation at court was so rudely interrupted," the Queen says after we've bowed.

"Shame, indeed," Eloise says.

"I nearly forgot you were making your debut this season. After your elder sister's triumph, perhaps good fortune might run in the family."

Mama pushes Eloise and she almost trips. "Uh, it is a delightful ball, Your Majesty. Very diamond-y. Though, I must admit, I am more of an emerald person myself," Elosie says, stepping backward. There is an awkward pause.

"Oh, dear! My favorite necklace is one of emeralds. How thoughtful of you to know that," the Queen laughs. "And I must say Miss Eleanor it seems your performances have only gotten better with time."

"Thank you, your Majesty. And thank you for last year, I have come to take your advice to heart," I smile at her.

"See to it that you do and you shall have a very successful season indeed," she smirks at the two of us as we head off with Mama. "It seems you both have indeed come a long way since last year, Miss Bridgerton, Miss Bridgeton."

"Excuse me," Eloise ran off with Mama following.

"If the queen, in fact, names Eloise or Eleanor the diamond, whom will you marry then, Brother?" Benedict asked before I ran off after Eloise as well.

"Pen! Pen! Pen, Pen. Pen," she says, running to Penelope.

"We must leave. The queen, she– I somehow managed to charm her," Eloise said. "She seems to, in fact, like me."

"I don't - Eloise, you must calm down."

"Eloise Bridgerton. Eleanor Bridgerton. The diamonds. Perhaps now you might stop spending time with insipid wallflowers all evening and refine your circle of friends. I may have a couple openings–"

"I would rather die," El and I say at the same time.

"You are a prime example of why I don't usually make the effort of speaking to people," I tell her. "Rude, obnoxious, and incredibly ugly." We grab Pen and walk away from Miss Cow.

"Ladies," a boy says and the three of us turn around to find Alex.

"Oh, thank god!" Penelope grabs him as we all walk to the gardens.

"How you managed an entire season of these absurd events alongside people like Cressida Cowper is beyond me," Eloise tells Penelope as we walk through the flowers. "And it's not just her. It is all of them. Staring at me as if I were some fine china teapot. How did you do it on your own, Pen?"

"I do not share your difficulties, El. "Insipid wallflower," remember?"

"Ugh. That is not– Cressida is incensed that even her new dress cannot hide her character," I tell her. Eloise sits down and sighs and I sit next to her with Alex at my side and Pen on hers.

"It's not that bad, you know. The wallflower thing. I always get the first glass of lemonade. I know who all the best dancers are just from watching. I can always tell when a suitor is serious about courtship just by how he looks when a young lady dances with another. The wall even affords me the chance to hear what the footmen say in secret," Pen says.

"You've been keeping it from me. You do not have to pretend any longer, Pen. You like all of this," Eloise and her laugh.

"Do you now, well I know who to dance with tonight," Alex laughs. He hasn't really looked at me since practice and I still don't understand what he's talking about.

"Well, it can be amusing," she says. "I know you have begun to think little of her, but is Lady Whistledown still not a source of amusement?"

"It's not that I think little of her. When she was gone, I thought I would miss her. I thought I needed her to make sense of this world. But now she is back, reporting on the same old things. Just another reminder of how trapped I am. I can feel people's eyes on me. Every time I walk into a ballroom, I know they are comparing me to Daphne. She was so good at being the diamond and it made my mother so happy. I can never live up to that. I do not want to live up to that, but it does not make it any easier to know you are constantly disappointing people just by walking into a room," Eloise rants.

"It hurts to think about the possibility of not being the diamond," I admit. "Everyone's been waiting for the day, but what if I don't get it?" Alex holds my hand and smiles at me, making me smile back.

"I never thought of it that way. No one truly notices me. I suppose that is what I like. When you're invisible, you have all the amusement you want without any of the expectations popularity brings. It frees you," Penelope says.

"Do you think that is why Whistledown remains anonymous?" Alex asks.

"Perhaps."

"Do you think that is why Cressida is so cruel?" I ask.

"No. I think she just wears her hair too tight," Penelope suggest, making us all laugh. "Hey, say Alex, where is your brother?"

"He is with his governess until the Bridgerton ball, he got behind on his studies last year so mother and father sent him away so he was not as distracted," Alex explains. "Their house has been quite lonely, just being me."

~

A couple of guards blow horns and gathered our attention as we walked back in from the garden.

"Your presence is noted, and your queen most appreciative. Allow it to now be my honor to present to you the season's diamond. Miss Edwina Sharma," she announces and I feel all the air leave my lungs. It's like I can't breathe. I quickly duck through the many people to find my mama and brothers.

"Mama, I wish to leave," I tell her, quickly.

"Nonsense dearest, your brother is about to dance with Miss Edwina Sharma," she giggles. I look over to see my brother holding out a hand for the season's diamond. I look over to see a man coming up to me.

"May I have this dance," I look over to my mother to see her nodding excitedly. I nod and bow to him as he brings me to the floor.

We dance in silence as I try to breathe. Did that just really happen? I look over to my brother as he looks very happy dancing with the diamond.

"Now you may not be the diamond, but you are just the jewel I have been looking for," he compliments towards the end of the dance.

"Thank you my Lord," I bow to him at the end of the dance and go to find my sister and Penelope. Elosie immediately gives me a hug and Pen does the same.

We walk a little outside to get some fresh air. Alex apparently was on baby duty as Alara was getting drunk. Her marriage wasn't doing the best currently as they were having troubles having another baby. It took awhile for them to have Al and it's just adding on to the frustration. "Eleanor Bridgerton certainly is a beauty, I would most love to take her to bed, those eyes and those hips, I would love to see her carrying my children. Does not matter if we are married or not, I would much rather have her screaming," the three of us overhear. We walked over to see the man I was just dancing with talking to a few other lords.

"Are you really saying such vulgar things about a woman who stole your pocket watch and returned it to you all while you were wondering the whole day where you had misplaced it?" Eloise asked him, as we came around the corner.

"Excuse me, Miss Bridgerton," the lord says.

"I would be more careful of what you say, you don't know where Whistledown is hiding or one of her siblings," Eloise sneers at him before grabbing the two of us and marching away.

"I should want to go home now," I tell El.

"I shall grab Benedict," she says, rushing off to find our brother.

Color, clarity, carat, cut.

At long last, the queen has named her most precious stone.

While this author finds Miss Edwina Sharma to be an exceptional young lady, it is about time I used these pages of record for something else.

A shift.

Is the entire practice of naming a diamond not well, rather ridiculous? Should a woman not be valued for so much more than her dancing skills or her comportment? Should we not value a woman instead for her candor, her character, her true accomplishments?

I grinned reading the new Lady Whistledown pages. Whoever she is said exactly what I needed her to.

Perhaps if the queen abandoned this absurdity that is the diamond, we would all see that a woman can be so much more.

— Yours truly, Lady Whistledown

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 4.7K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
3.3K 62 9
Florence's family is looking for peace. Do they finally discover that in Mayfair? Another season is taking place and love is in the air along with th...
806K 18.2K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...
17.8K 521 28
After spending years as one of the most sought-after bachelorette of the ton, Esmeralda Blackwood has decided one last time for the sake of her fathe...