Adoration

By eiharper

Susan Pevensie and Prince Caspian are, to put it plainly, infatuated with one another. An unlikely romance mi... More

Author's Note
Cast
Prologue
Part one
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
Part two
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
Epilogue
Author's Note

xi

71 3 0
By eiharper

Narnia 2307

They boarded the Dawn Treader once more and began their short journey to the gloomy island.

Moments before they entered the mist that surrounded the island, Tavros broke the tension. "So, what do you think is in there?"

"Our worst nightmares," Susan responded.

"And our darkest wishes," Peter added.

Drinian turned and added his opinion. "Pure evil."

Edmund looked at the three. "Nice to see we're being optimistic," he spoke sarcastically.

Susan smiled at him before realising Caspian's gaze was also on her. It had been for the past few hours. She would catch him staring but when he tried to talk to her, presumably to apologise, he was interrupted.

Caspian walked up to the siblings while Drinian and Tavros gave orders to the rest of the crew. "Let's get ready." His gaze lingered on Susan as they all made their way below deck.

Susan and Lucy went off with Gael, making sure she hid in the sleeping quarters so she wouldn't get hurt. They armed themselves with swords and bows, adding extra protective layers to reduce damage that was likely to come.

Meanwhile, Peter, Edmund, and Caspian were doing the same.

"In case we don't get through...whatever this is...I want you to know I think of you as my brothers." Caspian spoke to them.

"Me too," Peter replied, seemingly forgiven him for what he had done. Or simply believing some things shouldn't have time wasted on.

They looked at Edmund when he remained quiet. "That's a bit weird since you're shagging our sist -"

"ED!" Peter interrupted, groaning as he walked off.

Caspian blushed but kept quiet, knowing he wasn't.

"But I think of you like my brother too." Edmund continued, smiling at Caspian.

They all left their sleeping quarters simultaneously, and Susan and Caspian silently agreed to stay behind as the others went onto deck.

"About the other day –" Caspian began.

She held her hand up. "Caspian, you don't need to apologise: she was beautiful."

He stepped closer to her. "Can you forgive me, my love?"

She answered not. Instead, she leant in for a chaste kiss which he gratefully accepted.

"I love you, Susan."

"And I love you, Caspian."

* * *

"No matter what happens her, every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader." Caspian stood in front of the crew; his hand interwoven with Susan's which seemed to give the crew some hope.

"Together we have travelled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together, we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in. Our world and Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."

The crew clapped; one of the members yelled "For Narnia", boosting everyone's morale.

"Have I ever told you how attractive you are when you give your King speeches?" Susan teased, squeezing his hand.

He turned to her, smirking. "No, love, I don't think you have."

"Well, you definitely are." She smiled.

They drifted into the mist, becoming engulfed by the darkness. They watched as green mist drifted towards them, like a predator about to pounce. The crew made no noise, simply looking around at the mist with wonder in their eyes.

A few of the men seemed to be talking to themselves, or someone who they thought was there with them. Others were slashing their swords at the air, pained by what the mist was forcing them to see.

"I can't see a thing," Drinian whispered. "This fog's too thick."

Caspian flinched, looking around him. Susan gripped his hand tighter, and he gave her a grateful smile for bringing him back to himself.

Edmund seemed to be struggling the most out of the Pevensies as he spoke to whatever was taunting him. "Go away, you're dead." After staying silent for a moment, he yelled "NO!", shocking the crew out of their visions.

"Edmund," Lucy spoke softly. "Are you alright?" She looked around at the onlookers.

He nodded his head, regaining himself. "Yeah, yeah I'm good."

A strained scream came from a nearby rock in the middle of the water. "KEEP AWAY!" he drawled.

Edmund leaned over the edge, "who's there?"

Peter joined him, "we do not fear you!"

Edmund snatched his flashlight and shone it, illuminating the nearby rock. A man was there, his clothes ragged and ripped, his hair long and matted and grey. "KEEP AWAY!" he yelled once more, gripping onto the rocks behind him for support.

"We will not leave," Caspian responded coolly to the man.

The detrimentally gaunt man raised his sword and yelled once more, his voice still strong. "YOU WILL NOT DEFEAT ME!"

Lucy seemed to notice something and announced, "his sword, his sword."

The man's eyes widened as he glanced at his sword and tried to escape.

Caspian, now taking notice of it, walked towards the edge. "Lord Rhoop," he acknowledged. "Stand down," Caspian commanded to the archers. "Get him on board. Quickly."

The lord raised his sword again before his face turned to fear as Eustace snatched him up and placed him on the deck. The lord, now on his knees on the deck, lifted his arms out. "Stay away from me, demons."

Edmund sniggered, stifling it with the back of his hand.

"Be calm, my lord." Caspian instructed. "We are not here to hurt you; I am your king. Caspian."

The man froze. "Caspian," he whispered. He slowly turned to him, rising to his feet, and touching Caspian on the arm. "You should not have come. There's no way out of here. Turn this ship about before it's too late."

Susan sensed the man's distress and stepped forward, turning to Caspian. "We have the sword, let's go." She stepped forward again, wrapping an extra layer of clothing around the man.

"Let's turn her about Drinian." Caspian ordered, nodding to Susan.

The man chased after Caspian. "Do not let it know your fears, or it will become them." he warned.

Edmund promptly shut his eyes. "Oh no."

"Edmund," Lucy began in a worried tone. "What did you just think of?"

The rocks in the water shifted, rocking the boat. The crew were thrown to the floor and many of them looked over the edge to see what caused the disruption.

"What is that?" Caspian muttered.

Lord Rhoop paled. "We're too late. It's too late" he yelled hopelessly.

A beast emerged from the abyss, splashing water onto the deck threateningly.

Repicheep, who was riding Eustace, drew his sword. "Don't let me down. No fear. No retreat." He pushed the dragon forward, praying he wouldn't surrender.

He didn't.

Eustace dived, shooting at it. The pair fought the beast causing it to be thrown against the boat, knocking everyone off their feet. Eustace flew above only to be snatched down by his wing by the beast and pulled into the water.

They emerged, and Eustace was tugged for a moment before being thrown onto the rocks. "Eustace," Repicheep yelled.

Eustace shot at it again, fire hitting the beast in the face. The beast cried and threw itself underwater, extinguishing the fire.

"I'LL KILL IT!" Lord Rhoop screamed, throwing his sword at the dragon. On impact, Caspian yelled "the sword" at the same time that Edmund yelled "Eustace."

The dragon, yelling in pain, flew out of the mist.

"We're doomed. Doomed. Turn this ship about." The Lord paced the deck and threw one of the crewmen away from the wheel, taking it himself.

"Someone stop him." Peter yelled, confused at how everything had gone wrong so quickly.

The boat rocked and Drinian threw a careless punch at the elder man, knocking him over. Peter glared at him, but Drinian shrugged, knowing he was just following orders.

"To your rowing position," the captain ordered. "Ores at double speed."

Lucy looked about the ship worriedly. "Aslan, please help us." She whispered.

Susan, now looking slightly annoyed, turned on her. "Forget about Aslan. We needed his help a long time ago but, as always, he shows himself at the last minute and still gets all the credit. I'm tired of that bloody lion."

They stared at her stunned until the beast emerged from the water once more, throwing itself over the deck, tearing off the sides of the boat. It coiled itself around the boat, contracting, getting ready to crush it. Cracks formed in the boat and the crew panicked.

"We ram the serpent, smash it up the rocks." Caspian instructed.

"We need to keep it on the boat," Susan added. "Otherwise, it'll crush us instead."

Edmund nodded and began to climb, making his way into the mouth of the display serpent on the end of the boat. Pulling out his flashlight, he drew the monster's attention

The monster lunged, taking the boats end into its mouth.

"NO!" Peter yelled, abandoning his post near the wheel.

Susan noticed the commotion and paled. She couldn't lose her sibling. "EDMUND!"

The front of the boat was ripped off as Caspian went to help Peter with the wheel. Susan turned, noticing Lucy was holding her bow and arrow to the serpent. She noticed her sister had a clear shot, but Lucy mustn't have noticed.

"LUCY! SHOOT!" she yelled, and Lucy complied, letting go of the string and watching as the arrow soared through the scene, lodging itself into the monster's eye.

It shrieked, not noticing its close proximity to the rock. "Brace yourselves!" Caspian yelled in warning as the boat smashed into the serpent, crushing it against the rock, drawing another shriek from it.

Green mist escaped the beast as Edmund fell from his position and onto the deck.

The beast, unharmed, uncoiled itself and revealed its many legs. Staring at Susan, the beast lunged. Caspian jumped at her, pulling her underneath him as she gasped and grabbed onto him. He rolled off her and grabbed a nearby sword. When the beast lunged again, he swiped at it, cutting of its leg, and watching it turn to dust in front of them.

He looked at her, a certain look in his eyes as he grabbed her hand. "We can beat this."

The beast continued to fight while Caspian yelled out orders to the crew. The threw spear at it and pulled his head down.

The white witch formed out of mist, creeping up on Edmund. "What are you trying to prove, Edmund? That you're a man? I can make you that. I can make you my king."

Peter, who was on the deck, must have guessed who Edmund saw in the mist. "DON'T LISTEN TO HER, ED!" he yelled up to him, snapping Edmund out of his trance.

"DO IT!" Lucy yelled, watching in satisfaction as Edmund rammed the sword into the beast's mouth.

It fell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 97 22
At 24 years old Eliza de' Medici she is the uncrowned second queen of England. While she sits on the throne of England she lives in the constant fear...
718K 16.1K 44
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1M 18.7K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
3.5K 104 20
Sarang could see it, the moment she broke his heart. Baekhyun's pain stricken eyes said everything as he took a step backwards. ༻ ˚ ˚ ˚ ༺ A simpl...