Mehr-o-Mah | مہر و ماہ ✓

By dilarafoz

Mehr-o-Mah (مہر و ماہ) - The sun and the moon A collection of short stories filled... More

Khwahish | خواہش
Khwahish- Pt 1
Khwahish- Pt 2
Khwahish- Pt 3
Khwahish- Pt 4
Khwahish- Pt 5
Khwahish- Pt 6
Khwahish- Pt 7
Khwahish- Pt 8
Khwahish- Pt 9
Khwahish- Epilogue
Hamraaz | حمراز
Hamraaz- Pt 1
Hamraaz- Pt 2
Hamraaz- Pt 3
Hamraaz- Pt 4
Hamraaz- Pt 5
Hamraaz- Pt 6
Hamraaz- Pt 7
Hamraaz- Pt 8
Hamraaz- Epilogue
Riwayat | روایت
Riwayat- Pt 1
Riwayat- Pt 2
Riwayat- Pt 3
Riwayat- Pt 4
Riwayat- Pt 5
Riwayat- Pt 6
Riwayat- Pt 7
Riwayat- Pt 8
Riwayat- Pt 9
Riwayat- Epilogue
Bakht | بخت
Bakht- Pt 1
Bakht- Pt 2
Bakht- Pt 4
Bakht- Pt 5
Bakht- Pt 6
Bakht- Pt 7
Bakht- Pt 8
Bakht- Epilogue
Hassas | حسس
Hassas- Pt 1
Hassas- Pt 2
Hassas- Pt 3
Hassas- Pt 4
Hassas- Pt 5
Hassas- Pt 6
Hassas- Pt 7
Hassas- Pt 8
Hassas- Epilogue
Soz-e-Yaqeen (one-shot)

Bakht- Pt 3

5K 417 76
By dilarafoz

*****

Zoya took in a deep breath to calm her heartbeat. The volume of sounds coming from the lawn had increased and it didn't take a genius to guess that the baraat had arrived.

Rubbing a hand over her heart, she tried not to mess her look with the anxiety that was raging against her blood and rational thinking.

"Zoya, it's time."

It was Samaira who spoke. Zoya could barely manage a nod at the words and her khala was quick to come to her side.

"Itna ghabrane ki zaroorat nahi hai. It's just a fleeting moment. Try to enjoy it rather than spending the time worrying about everyone else, hmm?"

The stress loaded on Zoya's shoulder had lightened considerably at the advice and a small smile spread across her lips. Resting her head on Samaira's shoulder, Zoya soaked in the warmth for as long as she could.

By tonight, her entire routine would come to a halt. A different home, a different family, a different way of life. And most importantly, she'd be left to stand beside a man whom she had seen only in pictures and that too just once.

Haider Razdani happens to be a pilot by profession. Apart from this, all she knew was his age and nothing else. The two hadn't had a single conversation in order to get to know each other since he had continuous flights and travelling so frequently across the world often took a toll on a person's body. Hence why he liked silence and took the free time to replenish his mind and body.

"Chalo chalo!"

Zamin barged in the room and Zoya flinched at the sudden intrusion while Samaira glared at her son. Zamin visibly flushed in embarrassment and with a sheepish sorry, motioned his mother to hurry up but not before throwing an exasperated look at Zoya and making heart eyes at the bride who laughed at the broken humour of her cousin and shook her head.

Not shortly after, Zaira came in with a hasty expression. Her eyes found her daughter's and taking in a deep breath, she placed a kiss on Zoya's forehead and gently patted her head.

"Ready?"

Trying not to think too much into it, Zoya gave a small nod and within a blink of her eye, the surroundings of her room had been dissolved and she found herself sitting in front of the teal green curtains separating the groom and the bride's side.

Goosebumps rose on her skin and a hushed silence fell around. Even the slightest of whispers were not heard when the Moulvi questioned her about accepting him as her husband.

Hesitance did make its presence known in her mind. Her throat begged for some water while her heart just wanted to calm itself down. Feeling someone's hand on hers, she blinked once and glanced at her mother who offered a small smile but with a questioning gaze, as though telling her that the opinion need not always be 'yes'. If she wished, she could take her time to clear her thoughts and then answer the question that would change her whole life.

Offering a quivering smile to her mother, Zoya took a few seconds for herself and surprised her own mind when she spoke in a rather confident tone.

"Qubool hai."

The question was asked twice more and her answer remained the same. The people around dulled into nothingness when the question was asked to him. She felt as though it was just her, waiting for his answer with a batted breath and a heart that had suddenly shushed itself down.

"Qubool hai."

He spoke for the third time and Zoya unconsciously heaved a sigh of relief. The crowd around went in an uproar with cheers and whistles while she zoned them all out.

It was done.

She was married.

The reality of the change took some time to settle in her mind and when it did, she would've lost consciousness if not for Ayaan who burst a party popper not far from her ears.

"Finally! Jaan chutegi meri!"

As though a spell was broken, Zoya narrowed her eyes at her brother who was grinning like an orangutan in front of her.

"Keep dreaming. Har hafte wapas aaungi main."

"Do not spill such curses!"

A horrified gasp escaped Zoya's lips at his reply and with a deadly scowl, she got up from seat and took hold of his elbow before smacking the back of his head repeatedly.

"Ouch! Ouch! Violent woman, bas kar! Ahh, bhai dekhe na!"

"Bhai? Kaun bhai?"

Zoya paused her hands in mid air and with a frown, turned to look at her side only to wish that she could drown herself and head for the heavens, away from all the people.

The curtains had been dropped- without her knowing, and in front of her stood her now husband, Haider Razdani. His expressions looked neutral at first but the hint of smile on his lips and the unmistakable astonishment with swirling amusement in his eyes were hard to miss.

Zoya quickly sobered herself while everyone else around chuckled at the display. Ayaan rubbed his head and looked at his brother-in-law with an innocent look.

"Yeh toh sirf preview tha. Khayal rakhna apna."

Zoya gritted her teeth in annoyance and subtly tried to shush her brother down with a glare but the man only skipped to Haider's side and started whispering next to his ears.

Zoya tried not to show how alarmed she was due to this. Her panicked eyes looked at her mother who shook her head and motioned with her eyes to her father. Azlan Mir quickly humbled his son by twisting his ears with a stern look and Ayaan immediately ran away from the scene.

"Ignore all this please. Everyone might be hungry by now, chale, table tayyar hai."

Zaira diverted their attention and guided everyone to the tables spread in the lawn.

Zoya was the first to walk beside her mother in order to avoid any further embarrassments that might be coming her way. She was about to pull a seat for herself when someone did it for her. Scrunching her nose in confusion, she looked at the source only to find Haider standing behind her chair expectantly.

Not knowing what to say, she quietly thanked him and took the seat while he gave her a nod and sat beside her.

The food was served and the newly married couple devoured it in silence, only speaking when spoken too.

And just like that, the heated afternoon had melted into an upcoming dusk. The sky had changed colours from feverish yellow to a calm orange. The breeze around swayed in a rhythm that calmed Zoya's insides and soothed her skin. But with the change in time, came the one she was dreading the most.

Rukhsati.

The time when she'd have to leave her home and step into a new one. Forget about waking up to her brother's shenanigans and instead, beside someone she was yet to know properly. Her demeanour wouldn't be too carefree since who knows what impression she might leave on her in-laws, but was the last thing necessary?

They'd like her how she is, wouldn't they?

A pat on her head brought her thoughts to a halt. Zoya had a hard time processing that she was seconds away from leaving her home. Her baba stood in front of her with a small smile but the moisture in his eyes made her feel like she had committed the worst of crimes.

"B-baba."

Her broken whisper was met with a tight embrace. Azlan encased his daughter in his arms, gently caressing her head as he reminisced the moments that had flown by with the wind but remained in their memories.

The childish banters, the unsophisticated evenings spent in chugging down tubs of ice creams and late night disney movie marathons. The times when Zoya and Ayaan weren't less than a cat and a mouse, running from one end of the house to the other screaming at the top of their lungs.

The bittersweet trail of memories was never-ending.

"Itna nahi rote. We'll make sure to trouble you even if you aren't staying with us anymore."

Azlan tried to lighten the mood and kissed the crown of his daughter's head. Zoya let out a small laugh and nodded her head as she parted from her father and then looked at her mother who was sobbing in Samaira's arms. the latter was no better but still tried to comfort her.

"Mama, unhe nahi, m-mujhe hug kare."

Zoya grumbled and pulled her mother away from her khala. Zaira smiled through her tears and peppered kisses all over Zoya's face who scrunched her nose and tried to step back.

"Hug! Itne kisses nahi!"

The guests chuckled at the view because even at that moment, the mischievous words weren't forgotten amidst the happy sorrow.

"Kyu? Make-up kharab ho jayega?"

Ayaan teased from beside his father.

Zoya poked her tongue at him and didn't bother sparing him a glance. Sharing a heart-filled moment with her mother, she walked and stood in front of Ayaan who raised an eyebrow at her.

"Kya hai? Mujhe kisi baat ka gham nahi-"

He couldn't complete the sentence since Zoya hit him on the forehead and then enveloped him in a hug. Mumbling incoherent words, Ayaan reciprocated the action and felt his eyes watering without his permission.

"Garmi lag rahi hai, nahi?"

He tried to cover the shakiness in his voice through false pretenses but his twin knew him better. Zoya pulled away and pinched his nose that had turned red.

"Ro raha hai?"

Zoya asked with a teasing smile and Ayaan puffed a breath as though amused by the assumption.

The banter was broken short when Azlan begrudgingly handed Zoya's hand in Haider's. The former felt her goosebumps returning while the latter tightened his hold around her palms.

"Take care of her, hmm?"

"Haan lekin agar tang yeh kare, toh complain zaroor karna."

Azlan glared at his son who pouted at the discrimination and remained shush from the rest of the while.

Zoya heard her husband bidding salam to her family with a chuckle. She didn't get to take a proper look at his face nor did she have the courage to do so. It looked as though her shyness had reached beyond its limit and didn't permit her to look at her own husband!

What nonsense was this?

After a teary yet cheerful goodbye, Zoya got in the car with the help of her husband since she didn't trust the dress she was wearing with her safety. The ride to the Razdani mansion was of half an hour and since there was no traffic at the time, they reached sooner.

The two hadn't spoken a word to each other. Zoya sat fumbling with her rings while he was busy driving.

Zoya would've gotten down the car but Haider was quick to assist her with it too. The bride cursed the heels when they slipped at the edge and she would've fallen if not for him.

"Dhyan se."

He gently helped her down and once Zoya had blinked away the 5 seconds encounter, dusts of pink littered her skin in the most beautiful ways.

"Lagi toh nahi, na?"

"Huh?"

Zoya couldn't think straight when he was just an inch away from her. The body heat was making her mind go haywire while the musky scent just spelled her into leaning closer but she held onto the last restraint and gave a curt nod.

Hastily, Zoya freed herself from his grip and pretended to adjust her dupatta while facing the doors of the mansion that was decorated just like a bride.

"Chale?"

Haider asked after a few moments of silence. He was patiently waiting for her to gather her thoughts and when Zoya gave another nod, he hesitantly took her palms in his and waited for any reaction. At first, Zoya felt her shoulders stiffening at the sudden touch but slowly, she felt her body relaxing into the warmth.

Haider hid a smile behind the neutral face and guided her within the house that was turned upside down as soon as they came into view.

'Masha'Allah' echoed through the halls and Samra came forward to attend to her daughter-in-law. Fawad, Haider's father, gave a welcoming smile to Zoya and a stern look to his son as though warning him.

Haider snickered at the silent threat while his mother gave a stink eye to his father.

"Dress kuch zyada hi traditional nahi ho gayi?"

Sameera butted in the opinion that no one had asked.

Zoya tried blocking the words of insecurity that had started flocking in her mind as soon as the remark was given. She unconsciously looked at her attire and found nothing wrong.

She liked it the way it was.

She was comfortable.

"Sameera, kuch karna nahi hai toh apne kamre mein jao."

Samra sternly spoke to her daughter who made a face before walking away but did give a stinky once over to Zoya's dress.

Zoya could feel the tiniest bit of humiliation making a place for itself in her mind. Her heart raced again but this time with worry.

Did she truly look that out of place?

Her thoughts would've continued if not for the hold on her palms. Haider caressed the back of her palms that were held captive by his. The touch was soothing and tender, as though trying to bring her out of any misery.

"Ignore her, beta. Chalo, you must be tired."

Samra forwarded a hand to guide Zoya back to her room but Fawad stopped her when Haider shared a confused look with his father.

"Samra, dono hi thak gaye hai. Let them rest."

Samra narrowed her eyes at her son and then gave a side eye to her husband. Thinking of it rationally, she hummed and excused the two to their room.

"Ek second!"

Samra stopped them when Haider was about to open the doors of his room. Zoya was startled at the sound and scooted a little closer to Haider who was puzzled.

"Thodi der bahar wait karo. Just you."

His mother pointed at him and took his bride into the room but not before shutting the door on his face. Haider blinked a few times and when it was clear what had just happened, he heaved a deep sigh and stood silently outside the room.

Zoya awkwardly waited while Samra adjusted the pillows. Once that was done, the older woman ushered her to sit on the bed. It was the typical pose but Samra had clearly said,

"You can sit anyway you like but make sure to rob off the muh dikhai gift. I'm already having doubts whether he bought one or not."

The last sentence was laced with a confused anger and Zoya stifled a laugh.

Samra patted Zoya's head one last time and left the room. Haider straightened up upon seeing his mother and just as he thought that nothing else would be said, Samra Razdani found a way to surprise her son like always.

"Don't be a mute in front of her. She's in a new environment. Make her feel comfortable or I might as well adopt a daughter and put a son in an adoption centre."

Samra sternly patted her son's cheek and left the place, leaving behind her son with an agape mouth and a stunned expression.

Mother-in-laws might be a little tough on their son's wife in many places but it looks like the Razdani family would get a whole different view.

**********

That was a filler chapter, ahm, yeah...

We'll start the blushing-cheeky-cliche-romantic scenes from the next chapter!

Warning: Your cheeks might start hurting after smiling like a chimpanzee all through the while. Someone might've her heart broken after realizing that men like Haider and Ayaan are the rarest of gemstones in real life (they might've gone extinct in some places too).

Dhanyawaad/ Shukriya.

- Dilara

***********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 16 5
(Completed) A collection of heart-warming stories from here and there
336K 13.3K 51
Book 1 of compilation of short Muslim love stories. Some serious and some funny stories. Short stories: 1~ || Taqdeer - Destiny || (completed) 2~ |...
1.2M 59.9K 50
Collection of traditional love stories. محفل میں باربار انہی پر نظر گئی ہم نے بچائی لاکھ مگر پھر ادھر گئی 💫Short stories of traditional Pakistani w...
228K 12.9K 12
Shehryaar Shah, a business mogul with a family that prides over their traditions and rich heritage. The man exudes power yet isn't arrogant. The man...