Finches

By joshwritesbook

In a world dominated by endless oceans and thieving pirates, only the toughest can survive. Colt is a lowly c... More

Chapter 1 - Fish Duty
Chapter 2 - Colt's Case
Chapter 3 - Mutiny
Chapter 4 - The Queen Clam
Chapter 5 - Goldtown
Chapter 6 - Into Town
Chapter 7 - The Infinite Authority
Chapter 8 - The Spinning Slash
Chapter 9 - Sword Training
Chapter 11 - Further In Debt
Chapter 12 - Out Of The Frying Pan
Chapter 13 - Into The Fire
Chapter 14 - Souffle Saves The Day
Chapter 15 - Back To The Alcove
Chapter 16 - The Monkey Chief
Chapter 17 - Killing Two Monkeys With One Throw
Chapter 18 - Tunnel Of Leaves
Chapter 19 - Onwards And Upwards
Chapter 20 - The Birds And The Trees
Chapter 21 - Barrel of Fish
Chapter 22 - Assurances
Chapter 23 - Square One
Chapter 24 - An Evil Pirate
Chapter 25 - The Arrival
Chapter 26 - Raise The Anchor
Chapter 27 - The Cabin Boy
Chapter 28 - The Marksman
Chapter 29 - Crossroads
Chapter 30 - Next Voyage
Chapter 31 - No Rest For The Afflicted
Chapter 32 - Last Defense
Chapter 33 - Time To End This
Chapter 34 - The Fisherman
Chapter 35 - Grand Escape

Chapter 10 - The Journey Begins

18 4 13
By joshwritesbook

It was Colt's last night before his treacherous journey across a strange island and to the Authority base. Given this, you might think that he stayed up all night, tossing and turning while thinking about the dangers that lay ahead. That's what any person with at least half a brain would do, right?

Unfortunately Colt seemed to be somewhere under that halfway mark. As soon as he closed his eyes last night he had completely forgotten everything that needed to be done. He slept like the dead, having a really awesome time until someone had the nerve to wake him up.

"Get off me," Colt muttered sleepily, trying to pull away from the hands that were shaking him.

"It's time for you to get out of my house," came the voice of the fisherman.

That's when everything came back to Colt. It wasn't enough to get him moving, however.

"Oh that time, huh?" he replied. "Good, I thought maybe I had to wake up or something. But yeah, about that... I might have to take a raincheck on that one."

Colt felt the hands stop shaking him, and for about four seconds he thought that he'd managed to buy himself some time. Then he felt a force tug at his legs and the next thing he knew he was sprawled across the fisherman's shack.

Colt got up slowly and blinked a couple of times until he could see. He ignored the fisherman standing there and crossed the shack, locating his blue tunic and pulling it over his head. Then he shook his hair back and forth for a few seconds to get rid of his bed-head, pushed it back to get it out of his eyes. Finally he slipped on his sandals and looked at the fisherman for the first time that day.

The old man just looked at him, not saying anything.

"I'm ready," Colt said, in case that wasn't otherwise obvious.

The fisherman blinked. "That's your morning routine?" he asked.

"Yeah," Colt replied, then, "I keep it short and simple. Just how I like it."

The old man didn't say anything for a moment longer, then just shrugged like he'd come to a conclusion. He didn't share the conclusion, however. He just asked, "You still have the envelope?"

"Of course I do," said Colt. "It's..." he checked his pocket but came up empty. He frowned, feeling the old man's eyes on him. He knew he had it somewhere; he thought he had stuck it right beside the map of the island. But where was that? Then he checked one of his other pockets and pulled it out. "...right here!"

The fisherman gave a concerned-looking smile. "Good to see you have it nice and secured."

"Yep," Colt said, returning the smile and shoving the envelope back into one of the pockets.

This earned a wince from the fisherman, which Colt ignored. He knelt down and grabbed his cutlass from under the bed, then stood back up and tossed it into the air. He ended up missing the catch and had to jump out of the way to avoid losing his right forearm. So no, not as cool as he'd thought it would look.

Colt scrambled over and picked up the cutlass again before facing the fisherman. "So yeah," he said, "I've got everything and I'm all good to go."

"As reassuring as..." the old man gestured wildly in the air, "...all of that just was: no, you don't have everything."

Colt double checked everything one more time. Shirt: check. Pants: check. Envelope: nope it wasn't that pocket it was... ah, check. Sword: check. What else was there? His pendant: also check. He seemed to have everything.

"So what am I missing?" he asked, looking around the shack just in case he'd overlooked something obvious.

The old man turned his back on Colt and opened up the front door.

"Well," started the fisherman. "I went out early this morning and spent a little more time than usual on the water. As a result, I came back with a little... how should we call it...parting gift for you."

"Oh, you didn't have to—"

Then the fisherman stepped aside and gave Colt a clear view of the "gift." It was a giant barrel, nearly the size of Colt himself, full of—you guessed it—fish.

"You can't be serious."

The fisherman grinned at Colt in response. "I told you I'd find a way for you to repay me."

"Yeah, but I didn't mean... oh, never mind."

The fisherman looked proudly down at the barrel. "This took quite a bit of work, you know."

"Not as much as it will take me," Colt muttered, then, "Hang on, how is this a 'little' parting gift. This thing is probably the same height I was two years ago!"

The old man's smile didn't falter. "Great, isn't it. You see, as the Authority base is almost impossible to reach other than by ship at scheduled times, there's not many goods imported up thataways. Some good quality fish goes for a high price up there, much more than my normal rates."

"I bet," Colt replied. "Well, if I did have a chance of surviving this before, that's shot now. No way me and this thing get up there in one piece."

"So make sure to protect the fish then."

Colt gave the old man a side glance.

"I'm kidding," assured the fisherman. "You'll be fine. Just deliver the fish and that letter, and we'll call it even."

Colt smiled and shook his head. He hung his sword on the side of his pants and used both of his hands to hoist up the giant barrel. "If I deliver these things for you, you owe me big time."

The fisherman shrugged, looking bemused. "Who knows?" he said. "Maybe it'll save your life."

Colt smirked a little. A giant, cumbersome barrel of fish saving his life. He highly doubted it. "Maybe it'll end my life," he retorted under his breath.

And with that, Colt started the walk into town. The first step of his journey.

"Hey, Colt!"

Colt sat the barrel down and turned back toward the fisherman.

The fisherman just stood there staring at him for a few seconds, then nodded. "Good luck!" he said. "I hope you find what you're looking for."

Colt opened his mouth to respond but couldn't seem to find any words, which was a phenomenon he experienced very rarely. So he closed his mouth and just nodded back to the old man, before picking up the barrel again and heading into town.

To get to the side of the island that the Authority base was located at, Colt needed to pass through the town. The fisherman's shack was on the west coast of the island and the base was on the east side, so Colt had concluded that the safest way to make the journey was to go as far as he could in the town area of the island before he was forced to step off the beaten path.

Walking through the town turned out to be a challenge in itself. The barrel was even heavier than it looked (and it looked pretty heavy) and so he had trouble carrying it. He had to set it down every now and again to rest his arms, and while he was carrying it he found himself wobbling back and forth. It was hard not to drop the barrel, and he scarcely avoided doing just that several times. It was also very hard to see where he was going, as the barrel was so tall and wide that it almost entirely obstructed his vision.

Despite all of this, Colt couldn't help but admire the town. He noticed it on his trips to town before but he hadn't really had the time to take it all in. He'd always had somewhere he needed to get to or find. But now he had time, as he was just walking, and he came to realize that he'd never seen something like this before. All he'd really seen was the inside of a pirate ship, which contrasted heavily to a place like this. The town was an incredibly beautiful place, filled with delicately made structures and blossoming trees. Most shops were crafted from wood and stone, featuring some bold lettering at the front to announce what it sold. All the roofs were flat, which wouldn't have looked good if it weren't for the fact that you could see the rest of the town better. There were also tons of people going about their business, talking to each other and carrying baskets and bags full of something or other. Everyone seemed relatively happy and content, which was a stark contrast to the mood on the Bloody Manta.

One particular person was not happy for very long, however. As Colt was walking and absent-mindedly admiring the town, something that he'd known in the back of his mind was coming finally happened. Being weighed down and not being able to see properly, Colt collided with another person. The collision threw him off balance and his feet fell from under him. The barrel flew from his grasp as his back crashed to the floor.

"Ow," he mumbled.

Colt struggled to his feet and noticed the person he had knocked over sitting on the ground, currently struggling to get a barrel of fish off their head. Finally, the person succeeded and the barrel popped off their head and went tumbling across the road.

The girl who had just escaped the flying fish barrel was breathing heavily. She wore an outfit made from leather that looked odd on her in comparison to the silk that most females wore. She had blonde hair with pink highlights, which was also very odd, and looked to be around the same age as Colt. She was also covered in the fish that had seemingly escaped from Colt's barrel when it landed on her head.

The girl didn't seem interested in the fish covering her, however. She wasn't even looking at Colt. Instead she was sitting faced away from him, focused on something that was lying on the ground. After a closer look Colt determined that it was jewelry of some sort. Or rather, it used to be. Whatever it was, it was laying on the town road smashed into a thousand tiny pieces.

"Oops," Colt said. "Sorry about that."

The girl turned to look at him for the first time. In her eyes Colt saw flashes of annoyance and irritation. She only said a total of five words to him. "You owe me. Big time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 434 48
Brilliance and power are two sides of the same coin. Nova's life plays out exactly how she orders it to-- but she's starting to feel like she's givi...
289K 2.8K 6
A dark foe. A forbidden love. A deadly, high-seas quest. Mercenary sailor Jack's past comes back to haunt him when his crew receives a commission dur...
50.2K 2.9K 31
***SEQUEL TO SWASHBUCKLING IN THE DARK*** Having escaped once again from the reach of English law, Zaina, Dark and crew recuperate on a remote island...
391K 20.9K 42
Abbie has never been what one would call a typical lady. Trying to keep up with England's rich and powerful is far too much work, and Abbie has neve...