MAKE THEM GOLDEN, caius vol...

By makethemgold

˚ο½₯゚✧ πŒπ€πŠπ„ π“π‡π„πŒ π†πŽπ‹πƒπ„π ˚ο½₯゚✧ ' you take the best parts of yourself and make them golden ' ... More

casting βΈ» 00
preface βΈ» 00
beginning βΈ» 001
forward βΈ» 002
irena βΈ» 003
immortal children βΈ» 004
christmas βΈ» 005
when the snow sticks βΈ» 006
battlefield βΈ» 007
mate βΈ» 008
leaving βΈ» 009
volterra βΈ» 010
trials βΈ» 011
stay βΈ» 012
athenadora βΈ» 013
same mistakes βΈ» 014
khan βΈ» 015
red palace βΈ» 016
all eyes on me βΈ» 018
fall of a star βΈ» 019
rise of a queen βΈ» 020
part two βΈ» 00
the letter βΈ» 021
just like old times βΈ» 22

one of us βΈ» 017

4.4K 124 10
By makethemgold

A/N: This chapter has slight mentions of blood (it's honestly like a few drops but I know some people are sensitive to that kinda stuff) so if you don't like that kinda stuff then feel free to skip to the end!

"Ouch!" I winced as the woman that was fitting my dress pricked me with the needle, again.

"Sorry your grace," She quickly apologized and I sighed, accepting it again.

It had been like this for the past few hours, and while the Khans were kind enough to send someone to make me a custom dress for the ball, I was not happy about all of the poking she did.

Honestly, I was surprised I hadnt bled out yet but I kept my comments to myself, as Caius said it wasn't proper for a Queen to complain. Not that I was anyways, so I kept my mouth shut and endured it

Out of the past two days, this was the only part that sucked. Otherwise, I loved touring the Red Palace and hearing of it's history. It really was beautiful, and a thousand times more lively than Volterra.

Here, vampires and humans alike resided together. In fact, the woman doing my dress was human. Aro wasn't too happy to find this out but he kept quiet for the sake of peace.

Life in the Red Palace was...refreshing to say the least. Like a breath of fresh air. It was refreshing to the point where I wished we could stay or redecorate Volterra to be like it, but I would never tell Caius or any of the kings that.

Besides, I probably won't have any more air or blood in my body by the time all of this was finished.

"Ouch!"

I nearly jumped in the air as she pricked my wrist.

"Sorry, your grace," She apologized, just as a knock sounded on the door and I nearly jumped out of my skin, again.

"Come in," I grumbled slightly, rubbing the sore spot and tuning in to see who was entering. I may have been able to catch their scent if my nose wasn't filled with the smell of my own blood already.

"I hope I am not disturbing anything," Caius came in with a smirk, knowing how much I hated these fittings.

I gave him a desperate look as she tightened the fabric around my waist.

"Not at all," I told him through gritted teeth. "Your grace."

He closed the door and as soon as he walked in, his eyes darkened.

"Is everything all right?" I asked cautiously as I was pricked again.

Caius tensed as I snatched my hand away and cradled my slightly bleeding finger. It wasn't until I brought it up to my lips to sooth the stinging did I realize why he became quiet all of a sudden.

"Get out," He glared at the woman doing my dress causing her to freeze in fear. My eyes widened.

"Caius!" I lightly scolded him for being so rude and in turn he gave her a sarcastic smile.

"My apologies," He bowed, his eyes shining with annoyance as he came back up. "Get out, please," He spit.

The woman wasted no time in abandoning her work to scurry out of the door. I frowned as she did, glaring at Caius who wore an innocent expression on his face.

"You didn't have to be so rude," I mumbled, stepping down from the small stool.

"What? I said please," He smirked. I rolled my eyes.

"Did you come here just to scare my seamstress away, or was there an actual purpose?" I asked in annoyance.

Caius flitted over to me and took my hand, holding it tightly.

"I came to save you," He corrected, but his eyes were on the small, still bleeding wound on my finger. I saw his eyes go dark and it was then that I realized the entire room was filled with the scent of my blood.

"C-Caius," My eyes widened as he lifted my hand and brought the blood to his lip. Slowly, I felt his teeth lightly graze the wound and gasped. "Ow!"

I yanked my hand away as Caius quickly let go of me.

"What? Did I hurt you, Mia amora?" He asked worriedly. I simply glared at him as I shook the stinging pain out of my hand.

"No, you just bit me and it felt good!" I told him sarcastically, backing away. Caius relaxed when he saw that it wasn't really serious.

"You had me worried, Nadine," He scoffed as I ignored him and then sat on the overly decorated bed.

"Well it's not nice to bite people anyways," I told him. "Especially when they're still kinda sort human."

"That amount of venom won't effect you though," Caius said.

"Well then it's the thought that counts," I gave him a sarcastic smile.

Caius chuckled and after that whole escapade, I decided that I was done being poked for the day. Weather by fangs or needles, but so Caius suggested that we take a walk to have an excuse to get out of the room.

I was glad for one to be in fresh air. Air that didn't reek of my blood or expensive perfume.

It was was nice, being outdoors, and greeting everyone as I held onto Caius' arm.

I supposed we looked like a real King and Queen, with the way everyone seemed to cower at our presence and our over the top clothing.

I tried to keep my head high but I didn't like it; I didn't want people thinking I was high and mighty, or better than them. Because I wasn't, and truth be told neither was Caius.

I kept my opinions to myself as we walked around though. The further we got from the castle, the more I was able to see properly see it. And to say I was amazed at sheer beauty and architecture was a complete understatement.

"Why do they call it the 'Red Palace?" I found myself asking Caius, staring up at the stones that seemed to kiss the sky.

"Because, mia cara, more blood has been shed here than any other place on earth," He said simply.

I felt my eyes widen at the revelation, stopping to look at him in shock.

"Are you serious?" I gaped, not believing his words. He nodded.

"The history of the Khan Coven is more than just simple balls and fancy castles," Caius said. We found a spot just on the outskirts of the castle, near a gorgeous water fountain, and sat. I gave my full attention to Caius as he began explaining.

"Khan Coven has been around for a very long time," He began. "They are one of the only covens that outdated even us. And when we first came to rule, they, like many others, met us with resistance."

My lips pursed. This must be where the bloodshed comes in.

"At first, we tried to reason with them and get them to see that their way of living was not safe or respectable for our kind. You see, the founder of the Khan Coven, Indra Khan, had a way of being too...accepting of the human race. He would invite them in his home just as quick as he would into his bed; something that began to cause problems. Many of the human women began to catch on to our secret and many had threatened to expose what we were, bitter from Indra's rejections to turn them. when this happened, we urged him to stop. but he continued to the point of war with the humans."

"Humans started a war with vampires?" I asked in disbelief. Caius nodded.

"Many of the women discovered that fire was our one true weakness. And so, in broad daylight they would light our sanctuaries and kill as many vampires as they could before we retaliated," Caius paused, pursing his lips. "And when this happened, Indra would round up entire towns of humans and slaughter them all in front of the castle."

I felt a gasp leave my lips. The sheer image of thousands of humans and vampires being slaughtered alike was enough to make me feel sick to my stomach. And suddenly, the red palace didn't look so much like a palace anymore.

It looked like a slaughterhouse.

"And after that?" I asked Caius fearfully. I didn't really want to know but my curiosity was getting the better of me.

"After that is when we finally stepped in," He exclaimed. "It was too much; he became a liability." My stomach dropped.

"Did you kill him?"' I asked Caius. He nodded.

"Right here in this very square," He sighed. "All of his family watched. His subjects. I remember his son begging us to spare his life, but what Indra had done was far too great a crime. We had to send a message, to them and to others like them. The Volturi doesn't give second chances."

When he finished he looked deep in thought. He spoke about it like it was yesterday, a disturbed look on his face. Perhaps Caius did not enjoy partaking in violence as many thought he did.

"Wow," I let out a breath. Prionka and Atul had left out severe details on our tour yesterday, and whether it was to spare me or them, I didn't know. But learning the true history frightened me a little.

I wondered if this was what I had to deal with for the rest of my life. Violence, deciding other people's fate. Even the thought put a shiver down my spine and a frown on my face.

"What is the matter, Nadine?" Caius asked after a few moments of silence.

I debated on whether or not I should tell him. After all, how you were supposed to tell your mate that you were (slightly) unhappy with cards he had dealt you?

I guess you started by telling the truth. I sighed.

"I'm not one-hundred percent sure I'm cut out for this," I confessed to Caius, looking at him with worried eyes. "I mean, being Queen is nice and all, but am I really supposed to spend the rest of my life ruling over people and dictating what they can and cannot do?"

"Mia amora, it is much more complicated than that."

"It doesn't feel like it. It feels like...it feels like I am becoming someone I am not. I'm snarkier than usual, I have low tolerance for people I do not know, and even my eyes..." I trailed off.

In the small puddle beneath my feet, I could see my reflection staring back at me and the girl I saw absolutely terrified me.

My once brown eyes that shimmered with gold from animal blood had been replaced. Now, the human blood was so strong had began to turn them red. They were red, the crimson burning with shame and unfamiliarity.

At my words, Caius frowned.

"Mia cara...how long have you been feeling like this?" He asked with a twinge of sadness in his voice.

I kept my head down as I continued staring at my red eyes. "Every day since I've been here," I admitted sadly. "I just...I feel like an imposter, Caius. These people all bow to me and yet I feel like no Queen."

I could feel the cool of his fingers as he gently touched my face with his hands. Next thing I knew, I was looking at a worried Caius as held my face and made me look at him.

"Nadine, you are every bit of Queen as I am King," He said firmly, his lips tugging down. "I don't understand how you could feel otherwise; have I not done enough to ease you into this life? Are you truly unhappy here?"

"No, no!" I quickly shook my head as I didn't want Caius feeling guilty for my emotions. "I'm not unhappy," I told him firmly, "I think I'm just...I'm suffering from feeling like an imposter."

"But you are not an imposter," Caius said. "You are my mate — you are strong and kind and you have the mercy that I lack. I've never been good with people but you...they all whisper of how you are when you are not listening. People are happy that I have you to lighten me up. People are happy you are Queen. And for one am I happy that you are my Queen," He admitted.

His speech took me by surprise; that was by far the most sincere thing I had ever heard Caius say, including to me.

But, looking into his red eyes, I could see no lie. He was one-hundred percent honest which made my heart flutter. Suddenly, all thoughts of doubt were erased from my mind as he looked at me in a way that his face shined with...admiration.

The proud, cruel king of Volterra admired me.

"Do you really mean that?" I asked softly as I continued to look into his eyes.

Caius' soft lips curled into a soft smile. "I meant every word, Mia amora," He assured me as his eyes flickered down to my own lips. "You are one of us, and you always will be."

I could almost hear the electricity between us buzzing. Like magnets of opposite ends, our bodies begged to be near one another.

I leaned closer as my instincts took over and fluttered my eyes shut. Caius did the same.

And then, what was interrupted weeks ago was finally continued as his lips pressed against mine.

He had kissed me.

And I for one thought it was about time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

334K 9.6K 45
Λ—ΛΛ‹κ’°β˜€οΈκ’± - Μ₯ΫͺΝ™ΫͺΛšβ”Šβ› ππ”π„π‘π„ππ‚πˆπ€ βœβ”ŠΛš Μ₯ΫͺΝ™Ϋͺβ—Œ β•°β”ˆβž€ ❝ [(n.) A place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels home; the place where you are...
1.1M 31.5K 53
Annalise Monroe has lived alone most of her life, travelling between foster homes since the age of six, and she is willing to do what it takes to kee...
81.7K 1.9K 21
𝑭𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝑴𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔 π’•π’˜π’ 𝒐𝒓 π’Žπ’π’“π’† 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 π’˜π’‰π’ 𝒂𝒓𝒆 π’…π’†π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’†π’… 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’•π’π’ˆπ’†π’•π’‰π’†π’“. (𝑻𝒉𝒆 π‘½π’π’π’•π’–π’“π’Š 𝒙 𝑨𝒍𝒆𝒙...
12.2K 413 11
After Bella rescued Edward from the Volturi Bella, The Cullen's, the Quileute pack, The Denali's, The Volturi and two other woman that is supposed t...