The Boiling of the Bones

By livieduke

Oliver Kelly is a rebel at odds with his father--a prestigious attorney. He meets and falls in love with a gi... More

1. Dream Girl
2. Weekend Retreat
3. Nightmare
4. Falling Rain
5. Mendon Ponds
6. Secret Garden
7. Psychiatrist
8. Bad Day
9. Dr. Weintraub
10. Follow Up Visit
11. Dance Recital
12. Secret Phone
13. The Marines
14. Vanished Without a Trace
16. New Chapter
17. Last Night in the City
18. Departure
19. Monkey Park
20. Africa
21. Home
22. The Mad Cows
23. The Record Label
24. Big Break
25. The Big Day
26. Total Upheaval
27. The Slaughterhouse
28. Visiting Alix

15. Rocky Mountains

2 1 0
By livieduke

Life in the Rocky Mountain Rehabilitation Center was rough. They deliberately went out of their way to make it miserable. I couldn't play the guitar. The structure of it was very militaristic. We marched and did push-ups a lot. Our uniforms were gray—like drab prisoner uniforms. They woke us at five every morning for the first of three workout sessions. We did sit ups, push-ups, pull ups.

Then we dressed and cleaned our rooms. We had strict inspections. The beds had to be made perfectly. They had lots of stupid rules. If you didn't pass any of the inspections or broke rules, there were punishments ranging from extra push-ups to isolation in solitary confinement--a small square room with no bed or chair, just a concrete floor to lay on.

It was a military tactic. They were trying to break down individuality to build teamwork skills. Some guys never learned. They pushed back and rebelled and were dealt an endless string of punishments. It was hell. I quickly learned to comply with their stupid rules simply to make life easier.

I pushed myself harder and faster through workouts to get stronger. I had nothing else to do. Days stretched to weeks as I slowly fell into the same miserable routine. I kept to myself. I made a few acquaintances; none I'd keep in touch with. The other guys were cool, but some scared me. They'd actually committed crimes. Some were gang members. They'd stolen cars and sold drugs and broken into homes. One kid stabbed and killed somebody. He almost went to prison, there was a trial, but the other guy started it, so the jury believed he'd acted in self-defense, to a degree. They'd reprimanded him here. Which I suppose was practically prison.

Months dragged by. Winter turned to Spring, then to summer. It felt like years.

In June I missed graduation. We had a lame ceremony. I was awarded a diploma along with seventeen other guys and a bunch of girls. There was no audience, no pomp and ceremony, no applause. The diploma said, Rocky Mountain Rehabilitation School. I scoffed. As if I'd cherish and always want to remember that. Yeah right.

I missed all the pictures and yearbook signings. I could never forgive my parents for taking that away from me. The staff took away my diploma and said I could have it back when I was released.

I channeled my energy into getting stronger. The workouts were paying off. I'd always been fit with a solid core, but my body was starting to look chiseled. I developed a nice six-pack of washboard abs. My chest, shoulders and biceps were noticeably larger and nicely sculpted.

After seven months I figured they had to release me on my eighteenth birthday. Legally, I'd be an adult, responsible for my own choices. But one of the other guys said that wasn't necessarily the case because your parents can legally obtain guardianship if they can prove to a court, you're incapable of making your own decisions.

Knowing my dad was a legal maestro, I feared he might persuade a judge that such was the case, even though nobody in their right mind would come to such a conclusion if they met me. Surely, I'd have to appear in court remotely or at least make a deposition where I could plead my case for independence.

My birthday was July seventeenth. As the day approached, I was on pins and needles waiting to be released. The night of the sixteenth, I couldn't sleep. I'd seen guys go home. Without any advance notice, they get you in the morning around seven or eight.

I'd watched two dozen guys laugh and smile or start crying in a few cases.

I didn't tell anyone it was my eighteenth birthday; we woke at five and we did our first workout session. I showered. At six, the sun peeked over a mountain with a giant white letter Y oddly carved into the side. I thought it needed a question as well.

As in, why me?

Why am I in this hellhole?

I made my bed. Seven am came. An administrator entered the room. He glanced around.

Was he there for me?

Had my time finally come?

He gazed around, then settled on me.

"Come with me. You're going home."

It was over. An incredible sense of relief washed over me. I was eighteen. I was free. I could leave home and do as I pleased, from here on out.

We walked down the hallway toward the front desk. My joy instantly vanished. Anger washed over me. My parents were sitting on a sofa in the reception area. There were there to pick me up.

Hell no.

My mom saw me first. She stood and walked toward me to give me a hug.

"Don't touch me."

She took a step back with a hurt expression on her face.

I didn't care if I hurt her. Not after all the pain they'd caused me.

My dad stepped forward.

"You're coming home son."

"Don't talk to me. I can't believe you did that to me."

"It was for your own good."

We all stood there in an awkward silence as the administrator had my dad sign release paperwork. They retrieved my diploma and handed it to me. I glanced at it for one second then with disdain, set it on the counter and left it there.

"You guys are all set to go. I'll call the security guard and have him open the gate for you."

We walked outside to the parking lot. My parents got into a rental car. I kept going toward the gate on foot.

"Get in the car son."

"Just go away. Leave me alone. I'm not going home with you."

"Don't be so dramatic. Of course, you're coming with us. You have no money or anywhere to stay. Get in the car, we're going home."

"No. I don't want to talk to you or see you ever again. I'm eighteen now. You can't tell me what to do anymore. I'm leaving and I'm not ever coming back."

Dad had a stern look on his face with creases running across his forehead. He got in the car and followed slowly behind me.

They rolled the windows down. My mom stuck her head out and pleaded.

"Please get in the car Oliver. Let's just fly back to Rochester and we can talk about this at home."

I got to the guard booth at the gate. The guard had a confused look seeing me on foot with my parents following in the car. He picked up the phone and talked to someone for a moment, then nodded and set the phone down. He hit a button and the gate swung open. I walked through and my parents followed behind in the rental car.

"Son, get in the car right now."

"No."

My mom turned to my dad.

"Can we get him a plane ticket on another flight?"

"No, we already have a ticket for him. He can ride with us."

"I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Fine, throw your life away. Don't come crying back to me. If you go, I'm cutting you off. You're not getting another penny of my money."

Mom was freaking out.

"Honey, don't say that. You don't mean it. Give him some money, he can't just sleep on the streets like a tramp or a filthy homeless person."

"I don't want your money. I don't want anything from you. I don't ever want to see you again. I don't want you in my life anymore. I'm leaving, don't come looking for me."

My mom panicked.

"Honey do something."

I turned and walked away.

My parents backed off but continued following from a distance as they argued in the car. I walked several blocks. It felt weird having them slowly stalk me. I had to get off the road where they couldn't follow, so I turned off the street into a vacant field and cut through tall dry grass, then bushes and trees, down to a walking path along the Provo River. I followed it as it meandered through the center of town.

I had no idea where I was headed I didn't even care, I just had to get away. The trail followed the riverbank through town toward a dead end once it reached a sprawling lake. After several miles, the trail passed under a six-lane highway. I could use it to hitchhike and get away.

I scrambled up the embankment, a ten-foot-tall concrete sound barrier blocked access to the roadway. But there was a break in the barrier where the highway bridge crossed the river. I slipped through the gap and over a Jersey barrier onto the shoulder of the road. I stuck out my thumb hoping to catch a ride.

I walked slowly along the highway for about a mile before a girl roughly my age stopped.

"Where you headed?"

I had no idea, so I pointed straight ahead.

"That way."

She laughed.

"How far are you going?"

"As far as you can take me."

"All the way to California?"

"Yep, to California."

"I can take you as far as Cedar City."

I had no idea where that was.

"Sounds great. I'd really appreciate it."

I was incredibly anxious to get off the road before my parents happened to drive by or before the cops stopped me for hitchhiking. I assumed they'd be looking for me, although I wasn't an escaped fugitive, there was no underestimating what my parents were capable of and they'd certainly have, someone, out looking for me. They'd probably even try to get my picture on the news as a missing person and enlist the public's help in finding me. I had to quickly get out of town, the farther I got, the safer I'd be.

The girl was friendly. Her name was Angie, she was from a place called Logan—I had no idea where that was either. I just nodded. If I asked about it, she might become suspicious. She was chatty, and I let her do all the talking, only politely answering her questions with as little information about me as possible. I only told her my name was Oliver, I was from New York, I liked to play the guitar and wanted to be a musician. That was about it.

She went to college at Southern Utah University. From her conversation, I deducted that Cedar City was in Southern Utah. I didn't know my geography very well, but I saw a sign indicating we were southbound on Interstate 15 which I assumed headed for Los Angeles. It would be a different direction toward the bay area in northern California.

A few miles later, a road sign indicated we were three hundred sixty-six miles, less than five hours, from Las Vegas. Perfect. From there I'd have more options. As we drove, I ran through various scenarios in my head as I crafted a plan.

I figured my parents would spent at least a day or two in Provo searching for me. If I hurried, I could beat them back to New York. I wanted to break into the house to retrieve my belongings. I only wanted my guitar, some notebooks, my wallet and a few changes of clothes. I'd get in and get out as fast as I could.

After that, I'd track down Sophia. If I found her, she'd help me. She'd let me crash with her or a friend for a few days until I could get a job or settle into something. I couldn't wait to see her again. I could only imagine the uncertainty and confusion she'd been through not hearing from me for seven months. She'd probably be leaving soon for school. I couldn't wait to see her again and catch up.

Once I arrived in Vegas, I wanted to quickly get enough money to hop the first plane out, but I didn't have ID so even with money (which I didn't have), I couldn't board an airplane. I was fairly certain I could also rule out riding an Amtrak train or a Greyhound bus. Things were definitely getting complicated. Without ID, it would be impossible to get a job which was the only way I could figure making enough money to get home other than having Rob do a Western Union wire transfer, but then again, I needed ID.

I had to call Rob and have him break into my house and get my stuff. If he could get my wallet, maybe he could send me my driver's license. Or better still, come deliver it to me. He was not going to like the plan, but it was the only way.

After a couple hours, Angie stopped for gas in a small town called Beaver.

"Hey Angie, is there any way I could borrow your phone to make a call?"

"Yeah sure."

She unlocked the screen and handed it to me. While she pumped gas, I walked twenty yards away so she wouldn't overhear my conversation. I took a deep breath and punched in his number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Rob, it's me."

"Dude. Where the hell have been? Where are you?"

"It's a long story. I'll fill you in on all the details later, right now there's something I desperately need you to do for me."

"Anything. Whatever you need. At least tell me where you are."

"I'm in Utah. My parents had me kidnapped and taken to a rehabilitation center for troubled teenagers. I turned eighteen today and they had to let me go. My parents came to pick me up this morning, but I'm so pissed I don't want to speak to them ever again, so I refused to get in the car."

"Wow, that's crazy. Absolutely bonkers. I thought you ran away or something. Some people even thought you were dead. But we never heard anything on the news about a missing person report so the whole thing was just really fishy."

I wanted to fill him in with more depth, but only had a few minutes before Angie would be done pumping gas. I had to get to the point.

"I started walking and made my way to the Interstate. I'm hitchhiking to Vegas. Problem is, I don't have any money. I don't have my wallet or ID. I need you to go to my house and grab some stuff and fly out to Vegas with my wallet. I'll reimburse you for everything."

"Dude, I love you like a brother, but I'm afraid of your dad. He's crazy. He'll come after me. He'll get me arrested for trespassing."

"He can't do that. It's my stuff, and I'm authorizing you to go in and get it."

"What if he's home when I get there? He's not going to let me barge right in."

"He's not there. They're still here in Utah. If you go right now, you'll be fine."

"Oh, man this whole thing is nuts. I'm shaking just thinking about it. OK, I'll do it, but I don't want him to know it was me. I'd really prefer to enlist someone else to help me so he doesn't have me on camera."

"You'll be fine. Wear a ball cap low over your face as you drive up. The only camera is a doorbell cam at the front door. It does have a view of the driveway approach, so if don't want him to know it was you, borrow someone else's car, maybe throw some mud on the license plate. I'll give you the garage door code and security system codes. There's a pin pad right beside the garage door. The security system control box is right inside the house. The door will be locked, I keep a key hidden in the garage under the shelf with the golf clubs, there's a bin with a basketball and some tennis racquets and stuff, look right under that."

"OK hang on."

He grabbed a pen and paper to write down the codes. I walked him through it, step by step, carefully explaining which belongings I wanted him to gather for me. I crossed my fingers hoping my parents hadn't touched or moved my stuff. They'd surely rifled through my belongings snooping around, but they'd have no reason to take or move anything.

"Pull into the garage, shut the door behind you. There's a stack of storage totes filled with Christmas decorations. Grab two of them. Dump the stuff out on the floor and use them to carry my belongings. Get in, get out as fast as you can. Stash my stuff somewhere safe, grab my wallet and head straight for the airport. Get on the first flight to Vegas. Hopefully you can get here tonight. If not, I'll see you tomorrow. I don't have a phone, so I'm not sure where I'll be or when I'll be able to reach you again, I'll call as soon as I can."

"It's really good to hear from you bro. I can't believe your dad did that shit to you. We all thought you ran away from home. We figured you stowed away on a cargo ship to Africa or something. The only part I couldn't understand is why you never said goodbye. I figured you left in a rush after a big fight or something, maybe your dad was chasing after you or whatever."

"It's so messed up. All I can say, is it's good to be eighteen. I'm free. I'm on my own now. Good luck. I really appreciate you doing this for me. I owe you big."

Angie drove another hour then pulled over when we reached Cedar City. I thanked her for the ride, and she dropped me at a gas station just off the Interstate.

There were a number of fast-food places, but I had no money. I asked for a water cup and drank my fill. I was starving but couldn't think of any way to get food without cash other than flat out dumpster diving, but I wasn't that desperate yet. I'd have to go hungry for a day. I used the restroom, then headed back out on the interstate. I didn't want to waste time, I had to hurry.

After fifteen minutes, I scored another ride. Three guys were headed to Vegas for a few days of gambling and partying. They were excited. They asked why I was going.

"I'm meeting up at the airport with an old friend from New York who I haven't seen in a while."

That was all I shared. I didn't trust anyone, so I kept my most of the details of my business to myself.

"We're staying at the Mandalay Bay--the airport is like a mile away. It's practically across the street. We can take you right there."

"That would be awesome."

We passed through St. George, then the road descended through the rocky Virgin River Gorge. When we came out the other side, the terrain shifted to the Mojave Desert landscape dotted with Joshua trees. We drove through the Moapa Indian reservation, through another hour of stark desert landscape, then finally descended into Las Vegas.

The guys dropped me curbside at the airport, and I thanked them for the ride. I almost asked to borrow a phone, but they seemed eager to hit the bar to meet girls. They'd helped enough, I'd find another way to call Rob.

I went inside to an information kiosk and asked the agent for a public phone. The girl working the desk in her late twenties smiled at me.

"We don't have a public phone, but you can borrow my cell if you have a quick call to make."

"It'll be like thirty seconds, I promise."

I called Rob.

"How'd it go?"

"Not good dude. They changed the alarm code. I looked for another way in, but everything was locked. I must have triggered an alarm because a few minutes later the cops showed up, so I ran for it. They chased after me, but I lost them. I can't go back."

I freaked out.

"What?"

"No, I'm just messing with you man."

"You dork."

"It went fine. I borrowed Jason's GMC Sierra. I got everything you wanted. I'm at the airport right now. My flight leaves in half an hour. Where are you?"

"I'm in Vegas at the airport actually."

"Hang tight, I'll be there in five hours, I have a stop in Chicago."

He gave me the flight information so I could follow his progress. I couldn't wait to see him again. It would be good to see a friendly face. I walked around bored, with tons of time to kill so I took a shuttle bus to the strip to explore and kill time.

I returned to the airport four hours later.

His plane was on time. Rob was one of the first out the door. He ran up and gave me a big hug. I broke down. Tears streamed down my face. I didn't think I'd get emotional, but the last seven months were rough. To see Rob again felt so relieving. I could let my guard down and relax. It was starting to sink in that my horrendous nightmare was over.

I filled him in on every last detail of what had happened as we left the airport. He caught me up on what I'd missed at home. Rob handed over my wallet. I only had fifty-four dollars.

"Can you loan me the money for a minute?"

"Don't even worry about it. I got this. It's all on doggy coin."

"Thanks."

He booked a hotel room for the night and purchased plane tickets home the following morning.

"We're in Vegas, what do you say we have some fun?"

I wasn't in the mood. All I wanted to do was get home and see Sophia. I borrowed Rob's phone and texted her secret phone number.

Call me at this number--O.

I looked up. Rob had done me a huge favor. If he wanted to have some fun, it was the least I could do to be a good sport and tag along. We ate dinner at a buffet. I was absolutely ravenous. I stuffed myself with prime rib, turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, salad, a whole plate full of desserts, as well as an ice cream sundae.

I asked Rob to check his phone every five minutes, waiting to hear from Sophia. Nothing. After an hour, I wanted to call her, but I had to be patient.

Rob was on his phone researching things to do in Vegas.

"We could see a show, go to a club, meet girls, there's a mob museum, an amusement park, pools, indoor skydiving or just hang out and play slots or blackjack."

"That must be an extremely tall building if you can skydive indoors."

"That's not how it works, you dork. They have a giant fan in the floor blowing upwards."

"Or we could just cruse the Strip, window shopping and stuff—see the Bellagio fountains and the pirate battle at Treasure Island."

"Whatever you want to do."

"I want to party and meet women, but I have a feeling that's not what you want."

"No, but I'll tag along and be your wingman."

"That's alright. Let's be touristy and walk the Strip."

We spent a few hours exploring as we talked and joked around. Rob was leaving for college orientation at the end of the week. He'd settled on attending SUNY Buffalo. He hadn't really decided on a major, so he said he liked telling people he was going into marine biology, even though SUNY Buffalo didn't have that program.

"Where are you going to go? What are you going to do now?"

"My plan was always to move to the city. I guess I'll go there and find a job, get settled, and start playing music again. I can't wait to pick up my guitar. Every time I've gone through traumatic shit in life, I've turned to music for comfort. It's been really hard not having it."

"I bet."

"You haven't heard from Sophia, have you?"

"Yeah, I did actually. Right after you disappeared. She came looking for you at McQuaid one afternoon, right after school. I ran into her, and she asked where she could find you. I told her you'd vanished without even saying goodbye to any of us."

He put his arm on my shoulder.

"She looked like she was really worried about you. She asked if I had any idea where you'd gone, and I told her I didn't."

"I'm relieved to hear you told her that much. I've been worried what she'd think of me ghosting her like that. I texted an hour ago. What do you think it means that she hasn't gotten back to me?"

"No idea. Be patient. She'll get back to you. Where is she going to school?"

"She always wanted to go to Julliard, but she didn't think she'd get in. There were a couple other dance schools in the city she was interested in, but the last time I saw her, she hadn't decided yet."

What if she didn't end up going to New York? Oh well, I'd find her. I was flexible. I'd go anywhere if it meant being with her. We went to bed a little after midnight and caught our flight home the next morning. I still hadn't heard from Sophia. I drove slowly past her house and looked for her in the windows. I'd hoped to wave and get her to come out and talk to me, but she wasn't there. I went by her BFF Lindsay's house and knocked on the door.

Her brother answered and went to find her. Lindsay came to the door a minute later.

She looked at me with contempt.

"Where have you been?"

"Utah. My parents sent me to a school for troubled kids. I just got out yesterday. Do you know how I can get in touch with Sophia?"

"Umm, you could call her."

"I texted her a couple times, but she's not responding."

"I'd take that as a sign."

"Please help me. I don't have her real number. She had a secret second phone she kept just for me. But after seven months of no contact, I don't think she's checking it regularly anymore."

"She got into NYU. She's at the Tisch School of the Arts Summer Program."

"She moved to Manhattan?"

"She's been there for almost two months. She was so upset when you left. She went looking everywhere for you. She even went to your school. When she couldn't find you—it was rough. I've never seen her so upset. She bawled her eyes out every day for like three weeks. I'll give you her number, but I should warn you, she's dating someone. She met this really amazing dancer. You were gone, and we all told her she needed to start dating again. I hated seeing her unhappy like that. You know?"

"I get it. It was shitty for all of us. It's not your fault or anyone's fault. It just happened. Lindsay, I know you and I have not always seen eye to eye, but I appreciate this. I really do."

"Oliver, I was wrong about you. You treated Soph really well. You made her happy and that's ultimately what's important to me. But she's moved on now and she's happy with someone else, and I think it's probably best if you did the same."

"Thanks for the advice, and the information."

She might call or text Rob, but she wouldn't be able to contact me. Neither would Rob if he heard from her. But I knew where to find her. I'd go to her. I'd get a new phone and number as soon I got established.

I crashed in Rob's basement for a couple days. I said goodbye to friends, and I went to Mendon Ponds to visit Avalon one last time. The flowers on some of the trees and vines were blooming and there was a sweet fragrance in the air. It was beautiful. I wished Soph were there to share it with. I brought my guitar and played a few songs she would have liked scrunched beside me resting her head on my shoulder.

After that, I figured my parents were back in town and didn't want to run into them, so I was anxious to get out of town, asap.

I bought a one-way Empire Service train ticket to Midtown Manhattan with the last of my money. Rob's mom packed me a sack lunch for the road, and they dropped me off at Louise Slaughter Station.

Rob bear-hugged me.

"Don't be a stranger."

"I won't."

"If you ever need a place to crash in Buffalo, let me know. I hear they have great chicken wings."

"You got it. I love Niagara Falls. Remember all the times we skipped school?"

"Good times."

"I'll come visit. We'll go back to that all-you-can-eat pasta place."

"Definitely."

"Well take care of yourself."

"You too."

I climbed aboard my train just as it was leaving. As I settled into my seat, I found a hundred-dollar bill Rob must have slipped into the pocket of my backpack. He was a great friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277 11 27
Maine Montgomery hasn't always had it easy. She moved in with her grandmother six months ago, after being removed from her parents. Then she met No...
152 0 16
When Seren's mother loose her battle to depression all hope seems lost. A lousy drunk for a father and a overprotective older brother was all in stor...
1.6K 32 17
An angsty romance. * * * Maisie knows her relationship with James is on the verge of breaking up. She still loves her boyfriend, but is her love enou...
393 20 23
A beautiful young women finds herself in a love triangle with two men. She struggles deciding on who to chose, to find out a dark secects that might...