Chronicles of Ilandri - Volum...

By AChattock

In a land as ancient as time itself, something stirs in the darkness, waiting to be awoken... There is a stra... More

A Shadow in the Forest (Pt.1)
A Shadow in the Forest (Pt.2)
A Shadow in the Forest (Pt.3)
An Awakening (Pt.1)
An Awakening (Pt.2)
An Awakening (Pt.3)
Deaf Ears (Pt.1)
Deaf Ears (Pt.2)
Deaf Ears (Pt.3)
Prison Walls (Pt.1)
Prison Walls (Pt.2)
Prison Walls (Pt.3)
Prison Walls (Pt.4)
Black Dawn (Pt.1)
Black Dawn (Pt.2)
Black Dawn (Pt.3)
Black Dawn (Pt.4)
A Futile Endeavour (Pt.1)
A Futile Endeavour (Pt.2)
A Futile Endeavour (Pt.3)
The Long Passage (Pt.1)
The Long Passage (Pt.2)
The Long Passage (Pt.3)
The Long Passage (Pt.4)
An Old Friend (Pt.1)
An Old Friend (Pt.2)
An Unlikely Friendship (Pt.1)
An Unlikely Friendship (Pt.2)
An Unlikely Friendship (Pt.3)
An Unlikely Friendship (Pt.4)
Across the Ocean (Pt.1)
Across the Ocean (Pt.2)
Out of the Depths (Pt.1)
Out of the Depths (Pt.3)
Out of the Depths (Pt.4)
Despair (Pt.1)
Despair (Pt.2)
Despair (Pt.3)
Despair (Pt.4)

Out of the Depths (Pt.2)

7 6 1
By AChattock

The stench below decks was no longer tolerable and he could feel himself on the verge of retching. The only place where the smell was mildly tolerable was on deck, where the wind helped to dissipate the vile odour. Above deck, the night sky completely engulfed the ship. You could not tell if you were looking five miles or five metres, it was just blackness. Only the waves reminded you that something was actually out there. It was peaceful under the stars and Mutt was sleeping peacefully by the bow of the ship. Nathaniel was glad that the giant was able to sleep when he could not. At the stern of the ship the first mate was at the wheel and sat on the deck timbers behind him were two of the other crew members, who appeared to be engaged in some kind of game.

Nathaniel stood at the side of the ship, appearing to be minding his own business, whilst in reality watching this game with intrigue. There was little else to do at sea so it was unsurprising that sailors resorted to playing games in their free time. The premise of the game seemed simple; you threw what looked like a collection of finger bones onto the deck and by some understanding of their value, you collected points. The greater number of points would win some bones from the opponent. The overall winner would be the one who eventually held all the bones. It was hard to tell, however, how the score was determined. He moved a little closer, now more obviously observing the game. The bones passed back and and forth between the players, round after round. The person who seemed to be winning and on top could easily be on the back foot a few rounds later.

The two sailors seemed to be enjoying themselves so much that Nathaniel was enraptured and completely absorbed in the game. Finally one of the sailors cheered, threw their hands into the air and clapped, indicating they had won the game. "I'd like to play," Nathaniel blurted. Both men turned an eyed him suspiciously. "Would you teach me?" he asked, more tentatively. They looked back to each other for a moment then turned back to Nathaniel and nodded. He took a seat, cross legged, on the deck next to them. The man who'd won scattered all the bones onto the deck, mixed them up and then split them into two equal piles of fifteen. Nathaniel took the pile nearest to him and carefully observed the small bones. Each one had a different symbol crudely carved into it, presumably denoting its value.

"This is a game of chance," explained the other sailor, who was not playing. "There are five pieces, each with a different action," he continued, pointing to carvings on the bones, then proceeded to explain each one. One had an 'X' carved onto it which denoted a 'hit'. Another had an 'O' which symbolised a 'block', to block a 'hit'. Next was a three pronged 'V' which looked like a bird foot. This was a 'reflect', which was like a 'block' but returned the 'hit'. The next was an 'I' known as a 'strike', which was basically a 'hit' that could be blocked but not reflected, but also negated a 'hit'. The final one was three adjacent, diagonal lines. This was called a 'steal' and when played, could swap out one of your opponents bones, of your choice, for each one you played. The explanation helped a little but he could tell that only playing it would truly cement his understanding. "To start you put all your bones into the cup, then shake 'em up and pull out five at random, to throw down."

They each threw down their five bones and for the first round they explained how to tot up the points. Beginner's luck perhaps, but Nathaniel won three bones from his opponent and only lost one. As the rounds continued, he found he picked up the rules quite easily and did not need prompting to count up his points. The bones passed back and forth for a few rounds and subconsciously Nathaniel found himself resting his hand on his medallion. The next ten rounds went entirely in his favour, leaving his opponent with only two bones left. When he won the game the sailors looked in disbelief that he had been so lucky. It dawned on him though that perhaps his medallion had something to do with it. "Of course we can make it more interesting by playing for something of value. We usually gamble a day's grog ration," his opponent explained as he collected up the bones. "Another game?" Nathaniel asked, looking at the other sailor.

They swapped over and the game began again. Nathaniel subtly kept his hand on the medallion to see what luck it would bring him. He managed to win every round and with each win, the commotion of their cheering drew attention from nearby sailors. Others then wanted to try their luck against Nathaniel and see if he would still hold out. The commotion continued and soon most of the crew were gathered around them, watching him win round after round and game after game. There were cheers each time he threw down the bones and won as if everyone there was in disbelief. The whole crew queued to be his next opponent and see if they would be the one to topple his unbelievable, undefeated streak. The commotion eventually drew the attention of the captain, who forced his way through the gathered crew to reach the front and discover the cause. Bortak observed closely while Nathaniel continued to win rounds and eventually the game.

Before the next sailor could seat himself down to play against Nathaniel, Bortak cut in line to make himself the next opponent. "You've been quite lucky I gather," he remarked with his vile grin. "Let's make this interesting," he added with a seditious chuckle. "If you win, I'll fulfil our bargain and sail you across the sea beyond Skald. If I win," he said with an evil twinkle in his eye, "You give me that medallion." His lips twisted into a disgusting grin once more. "As a show of faith, I'll put my captain's ring down. And you put your medallion down too." He said with a smirk, placing the ring onto the deck. Nathaniel froze, ready to deny the request outright. How could he ever possibly think of giving away his medallion. Then another thought crossed his mind. If he could not reach the elves then what use was the medallion on that ship. This would not be the end, he would gain it back somehow, even if it meant killing Bortak for it. "Deal."

His hands were sweating and shaking as he clutched the medallion tight in his hand and took in a deep breath. Quickly, he removed it from around his neck and gently placed it onto the timbers. Everything was now at stake. If he won this ordeal would be over. He could finally reach the elves and bring their much needed help back with him to defeat the armies of the dark elves. They cast down the first bones and Nathaniel only took one from Bortak. They cast again and still he could only take one. This continued for another two rounds, then Nathaniel lost two to Bortak. "No one can beat the captain at this game," came a voice from the crowd. Suddenly Nathaniel noticed the captain rubbing his little finger on the ring on the adjacent finger, brushing the red gem set into it. Beneath the gem he could just make out a familiar symbol etched into the metal.

His mind searched for where he had seen it before. Suddenly a wave of cold washed over him as the memory returned. This symbol was one of the elven runes Torstein had shown him years ago. Clearly he was using it to win at bones. Nathaniel quieted his mind and closed his eyes as he picked out his next five bones, focusing on his breathing. Without opening his eyes he cast the bones down and after a momentary pause a cheer erupted. Nathaniel had drawn five steals, winning the round by default. The captain looked visibly angry and his little finger more vigorously rubbed at the ring. Nathaniel repeated the same ritual for the next round, not opening his eyes until the bones had settled on the deck. Again he won, this time with a steal, a reflect and three strikes. His ritual was working and also making Bortak writhe with each loss.

Finally Nathaniel had whittled him down to his last three bones, one of which he knew was a steal. He was fairly certain the other two were just hits. He locked eyes with Bortak just before commencing his ritual and could see all the emotions he was feeling at that point. There was anger, frustration and worry all mixed together. Nathaniel now had the upper hand but if Bortak could win back a few bones the game could flip again. Nathaniel did not know how long his luck would last after taking the medallion off. Bortak still had the advantage of wearing his ring so his luck would not run out. Something inside him knew that Bortak had some idea about the medallion and was just biding his time for Nathaniel's luck to run out.

His eyes closed and his fingers felt the bones in the pot. His breathing and heartbeat seemed to echo inside his head as he knew it all pivoted on this moment. With five bones selected he held his fist out in front of him ready to drop the bones. The moment his grip loosened the bones fell, clattering on the deck, almost in slow motion. It was deadly silent for what seemed to be an eternity. He dared not open his eyes to look at the bones. The next moment the whole ship erupted in celebration and he felt a sharp tug backward on his shoulder. When he opened his eyes he saw five strikes staring back up at him and Bortak with his jaw dropped, revealing even blacker teeth at the back of his mouth.

He had done it. Whether by luck or by chance he had won. This time the captain could not go back on his word because the whole crew had witnessed the bargain. Not just that but Nathaniel was the most popular man aboard the ship at that moment. He heard crew members laughing and some say they'd never once seen the captain beaten in a game of bones. It was hard not to feel proud and elated at that moment. Several of the crew came over to shake his hand and congratulate him. He quickly snatched his medallion, placing it safely back around his neck, then out of respect offered his hand to Bortak. Silence fell as all eyes turned to their captain. Cheers erupted again as he smiled and gracefully shook Nathaniel's hand. "A deal is a deal. Our next voyage shall be east!"

Just as Bortak has said, Yarbok Port was on the horizon the next morning, three hours after sunrise. This was an unpleasant reminder of the distasteful cargo held within the bowels of the ship. They docked and the iron gratings were opened, beginning the slow disembarkation of hundreds of slaves they had taken from Benthor. Nathaniel could not look at their faces at first as they were pulled in a long train off the ship to be sold. He pulled up the gumption however to look at them, seeing as he had caused their life of servitude, the least he could do was have enough respect to look at them. It was difficult to watch them, scared and forlorn, torn away from their homes forever. "It'll be the Zarkhaz mines for you," taunted one of the crew."Not this one though, she'll be serving in the palaces," joked another as he groped the woman in question. Nathaniel looked at them with contempt. How low did someone have to fall to stoop to the position of a slaver.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

528 69 17
There are five kingdoms on the planet called "Earth." At a young age, the people living there would manifest and have their own elemental power. It...
8.6K 379 36
"You." "Me?" I answer nervously. I held my breath as I looked into the dragons golden eyes. "I choose you." I've been waiting for this day since I c...
7.1K 967 52
(13x Featured, Award Winner) She is ruthless. She is scorned. And her blood? The darkest shade of blue. *** When Queen Aravena basically life-threate...
2.8K 542 59
(FINISHED WRITING, BEING REVISED!) An only child, by the name of Nathaniel, has a very unfortunate life. Unpopular, bullied, and outcasted by everyon...