Best of Both Worlds

By Zeemzie

"You wouldn't believe what haa--" a high pitched scream escaped my throat before I could stop myself. I clut... More

Authors Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Epilogue
New book Alert

Chapter Sixteen

6.9K 430 94
By Zeemzie

"Goodnight, doctor" Nurse Shelly looked up from the computer screen. She was one of the night shift nurses who'd be monitoring the post-op patients.

"Night, Shelly" I waved to her before I walked out the trauma unit doors.

I strolled to the bus station. Nick would usually come to pick me up himself or send his driver but today he sent a text stating he wouldn't be able to do either. To be honest, I felt relieved to have some hours to myself. Ever since the fundraiser event, I hadn't been able to shake the air of awkwardness around us. I wasn't ready to accept the fact that there might be more to this arrangement - other than caring for and seeing to the baby's needs.

I got on the bus and pulled my phone out of my bag. I clicked on candy crush to pass time. I closed the app as fast as I turned it on and dropped my phone back into my bag. I held onto my belly and the bus passed some kind of road bump then rested my head against the window.

The plan was to establish a cordial relationship with Nick and his family, muster the courage to tell my own family, about the pregnancy - snail-paced progress on that one - have this baby and move on to co-parenting with Nick whilst still pursuing my dream. Having a baby alone throws in a bunch of rough patches into my plan, I was only still a resident. I needed to finish my residency program, pick a field of speciality while I'm at it, clear out my student loans and focus on building funds for at least a clinic back in Nigeria.

The bus slowed down to a stop and a handful of passengers alighted the bus. I returned my gaze to the window, not taking account of the buildings or pedestrians the bus breezed past. I released a soft sigh as I placed a hand over my belly, caressing it through my baby blue gown.

There were so many things I hadn't accomplished yet and I didn't need any distractions. Certainly not one that promised so much unwanted drama.

The bus came to a stop and I descended from the bus. I relished in the calm evening breeze on the short stroll to my apartment complex. I was about to push the complex door open when a young man in a checkered button shirt and jacket stopped me.

I narrowed my eyes at the man in front of me. There was a tinge of familiarity but I couldn't place my finger on it, so I gave up. "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"It's Tom. We met at the supermarket, many weeks ago," he said, pointing his thumb behind him. "You know, with the pack of toilet papers. You told me you were a doctor"

The imagery flashed back into my mind. "Oh sorry, pregnancy brain. Hi, how are you doing?"

He chuckled. "I'm good. How are you?"

"Great" I nodded with a small smile. "I'm surprised you remember all that"

He chuckled. "Uh well, I have a good memory. Plus, you're not one to forget so fast"

Uh oh. My smile faltered and I lifted an eyebrow at him.

He held out both hands in front of him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to creep you out." He stuffed a hand into his pocket and moistened his lips. "You see, when we met at the store, I kinda hoped we would run into each other again," he scratched the back of his head and rocked forward on the ball of his feet. "I was hoping you'd like to have dinner-or lunch - or even ice cream"

"Do you not see my stomach? Or is it not as big as I thought it was?" I ran a hand over my swollen stomach.

He blinked and lowered his eyes to my belly for a brief second. "O-of course, I can"

"I just wanted to be sure you saw it. Just in case you didn't get it, I'm pregnant" I stated as I cradled my bump.

He released a nervous chuckle. "I know that"

"It means I'm not available. Have a good day" I tipped an invisible hat at him and attempted to push the door again.

He advanced forward but then stepped back at the offensive expression I shot at him. He held up his hands. "I'm sorry. I just want to get to know you, as a friend. You seem like a wonderful person, funny even. All I'm asking is to have - ice cream with you"

I leaned unto my right side. "Why? Look, I don't really know you. I'm sorry"

"And you probably won't if you don't take me up on the offer" he stated. "It's not far from here, come on"

The more mentions of the word 'ice cream' began to make me crave it. I could feel myself giving into the pressure. The image of a double-chip chocolate ice cream began to take form in my mind. Ugh. Now that I'd thought about it, it would keep infiltrating my thoughts till I had it. I let out a weak sigh. "Just one cup" I emphasized, moving my bag from the crook of my arm to my shoulder.

His smile broadened and held up a hand beside his head. "I promise. Scouts honour"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, I'm guessing you're not engaged or married?" Tom pointed at the bare fingers of my left hand and took another scoop of his banana-flavoured ice cream. "Is the father involved?"

My spoonful of ice cream hung midair as I gaped at him. I pursed my lips as I set my spoon down back into my Styrofoam cup and crossed my arms over the table. "I don't see how that's any of your business"

"I'm sorry, I was just curious"

Silence took over. I gazed at every passerby or car that moved past the transparent walls of the ice-cream parlour, whilst spoon-feeding myself. Business seemed slow for the evening. Asides from Tom and me, there were only two other customers in the place.

"Are you guys together, as in a couple?" Tom piped up.

I let my spoon fall back into my cup. "Bruh, what is your deal?" I held up my forefinger inches away from my thumb. "I'm this close to walking away right now"

"Sorry, I just wanted to know if I had a shot with you," he averted his eyes to the table between us and itched the back of his head.

"I thought you said, you just wanted to get to know me, like friends," I said

He lifted his gaze back to my face. "I know but . . . it doesn't hurt to try. I - I mean, you're beautiful, funny and obviously smart enough to be a doctor." He scratched behind his ear. "W-who wouldn't want to get to know you?"

I gave him a small smile. "Look, I'll be honest with you. I'm not looking to be in a relationship with anyone right now. I have a baby on the way and that's what I'm focused on. I'm sorry but I can only be friends"

His shoulders sank and he lowered his gaze to the black and white checkered flooring. I didn't want to be shallow but the shy boy persona he had going on, didn't in any way match his physical appearance. Buzz cut. Striking green eyes. Tall with toned muscles that proved constant work-outs. Even the jacket and long-sleeved button-up shirt couldn't mask it.

"So, what do you do?" I said, attempting to dilute the air of awkwardness. Also, because he knew so much about me and I had little to no idea who he was.

"I'm a full-time photographer. I take events like birthday parties, weddings, and bar mitzvahs. You know, stuff like that" he replied.

I sat up in my seat. "Really? Do you have like a business card or something?"

He patted his breast pocket and his cargo trousers then shook his head. "No, not on me right now"

I nodded and scooped another spoonful. "Well, do you take pregnancy photoshoots?"

He shook his head. "I've actually never taken pregnancy photos, but I can make an exception for you"

"Slow down," I waved a hand, up and down "I never said I wanted to, but thank you. If I changed my mind, I'd be sure to let you know"

We chatted for a few more minutes. He turned out to be a nice fellow - a little too persuasive and probing but he seemed harmless.

"I have to leave now," I glanced at my small brown leather wristwatch and stood to my feet. "It has gotten late. Thank you, I guess"

He grinned as he rose to his feet as well. "No, thank you"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked into my apartment with the assumption that Whitney was home. The living room lights were turned on. As I ventured further into the apartment, I was startled by the presence of Nicholas on my single-seater sofa. It was obvious he came here, straight from work, going by his charcoal grey suit. He lifted his head from his phone and shot me a blank look.

"What are you doing here? I didn't know you were coming" I said, my hand placed over my chest as I caught my breath.

"Where were you?" he deadpanned, remaining in the chair.

I tilted my head to the side. "Why?"

"I have been calling your phone and sending messages. Why didn't you reply? Or better still, why didn't you answer your phone?" He waved his phone at me.

"Really, you called?" I took off my fancy sandals and reached into my bag for my phone. Indeed, there were twenty missed calls from Nicholas and three from Whitney. I didn't even bother to look at the text messages. I looked up from the phone. "I must've forgotten to change my phone from vibrate, sorry"

He arose from the chair, his eyes narrowed at me. "You didn't answer my question. Where were you?"

What's his problem? I brushed back locks of hair from my shoulder. "I went to get ice cream with someone - I don't appreciate the tone you're taking with me, right now"

He tucked his phone into his pocket and rested a hand on his hip. "Someone? Does this someone happen to be a man?"

"Yes. Is that a problem?" I placed both palms by the sides of my lower back as I jutted out my chin.

"Yes, it is. I'd rather you don't frolic around, while you're carrying my child" he spat out

I blinked back. "Excuse me?" Where were all these coming from?

"As long as my child is still inside of you, you would refrain from any 'friendly meetings' with your guy friends" he air quoted as he took a step forward.

I know he did not just insinuate ... "Are you out of your mind? Wait, who do you think you are?" I lifted my forefinger at him. "Need I remind you that we are not in a relationship? I am neither your wife nor girlfriend. I am also not your surrogate, so you have no right to tell me what and what not to do?"

"Oh, I do. Don't test me, Amanda" he gritted out.

"It's my body and if I wanted to take up several lovers, I will do just that!" I yelled at him.

"Like hell, you will" he retorted, his eyes daring me.

I threw my hands up. I don't need this, right now. "You know what," I marched to the door and yanked it open. "Get out."

He stood rooted in his spot and stared hard at me.

"Now please!" I smacked the door frame with widespread fingers. "You're stressing me out and in turn, stressing my b-baby," my voice broke as the walls of my throat tightened. I took in a deep breath and moistened my lips as I pointed in the direction of the hallway. "Leave."

He dropped his head and his shoulders sagged as he dragged himself out of the apartment. I banged the door shut at his departure.

My chest heaved as I leaned against the door and practised deep breathing exercises. What was that about? My attention spanned out to the hand I'd whacked against the door. Ouch! I picked up my throbbing palm with my other hand and cradled it close to my chest. How could he speak to me like that? I have never felt so aggravated like that before, it felt like I was being ambushed and pushed into a corner. I can't have one day of peace, I swear.

I pushed off the door and snatched my bag from the sofa. I'd try to mind my manners, my foot. There was a reason the saying 'a leopard never changes its spots' existed. I was stupid to believe that he would stop being the arrogant douchebag I've known him to be. I marched towards my bedroom. I was going to take a warm shower and hope that I'd come out not just refreshed but relaxed.

GLOSSARY

Post-op - Post operation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

573K 18.3K 54
Sequel to Mr Reigns The room echoed despite the fact that it was filled with furniture and papers spread everywhere. The doctor who was sitting in fr...
50.9K 5.1K 20
Jamaal, brilliant doctor, mommas boy. Has always loved the idea of love. Watching his parents journey and his mom's state after his father passed awa...
3.6K 332 29
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...
236K 22.7K 60
I don't know what it was about her but when our eyes locked I felt the overwhelming need to defend and protect her from the harsh realities of the wo...