The Prince's Private Symphony

By demonlover07

Eloise Bridgeton is a facinating woman. She does not play by societal rules. But what happens when there's an... More

Season One
1. Diamond of the First Water
2. Shock and Delight
3. Art of the Swoon
4. An Affair of Honor
5. The Duke and I
6. Swish
8. After the Rain
Season Two
1. Capital R Rake
2. Off to the Races
3. A Bee in Your Bonnet
4. Victory
5. Unthinkable Fate
6. The Choice
7. Harmony
Whoops
8. The Viscount Who Loved Me
Season Three

7. Oceans Apart

371 8 0
By demonlover07

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham.

Mother, Eloise, and I exited our home and waited for the carriage when we saw Lady Featherington and Miss Thompson across the street. I glared at them and Mama ushered us into the carriage to avoid them.

Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name.Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby.

"Hold still, ma cherie," Madame Delacroix tells my sister as she fidgets.

"This scandal could very well tarnish my debut, Mama. Perhaps we should delay my coming out altogether a few years," Eloise tries to persuade her.

"Hush, child, all will be well. Just keep smiling. Like Eleanor," she said looking at my smile. I'm just laughing at how uncomfortable Eloise is.

"Can a smile be enough to save the Featheringtons? Penelope and her sisters did nothing wrong, but their reputation's destroyed," Eloise complained.

"It really is unfair," I tell mama.

"You should be worrying about your own family's fortunes at present. We are in just as perilous position. Lovely day, is it not, Lady Richmond?" Mama aksed the Lady who was staring at us from the other room.

She gave mama a disgusted look and I met her eye. She gave me a look to, but I kept staring at her, her eyes widened and she looked away as if I burned her. "It's this Whistledown," Eloise muttered.

"I certainly never want to cross the woman. Her word as good as gospel," Madame said.

"Yes. Though, perhaps if she can destroy a reputation she can restore one too," Eloise said, hinting to modiste. I don't think it's her. With all the last minute orders she never has any time, let alone to write a gossip paper.

Madame gasps, "Tres elegante, Miss Bridgerton." I look at my sister and she looks wonderful. "What a debutante you will be!" Mother chuckles happily and Eloise closes her eyes and sighs while we switch spots.

While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge⦠somewhere.

"So where shall we discuss the new evidence of who Whisltedown is?" Alex asked as we led him upstairs.

"In my room," Eloise said.

"Ah, okay," he said and started walking towards me. We stopped in front of Eloise's and stayed there. "What are you doing? That's Daphne's room," he said, turning around when he realized we were not with him.

"It's mine, now," Eloise grinned.

"I see you've both lowered your hems," he said as he sat down on one of the chairs.

"However could you tell?" I asked him with a smirk.

"Well just the fact that Eloise has not stopped tripping and you look about as graceful as Gregory when he first started to learn to walk," he smirked back, making me hit him with a pillow.

"Alright on to Whistledown," Elosie said as she tried to move her skirt.

"I first want to apologize to you and your family for the scandal that has fallen upon you, Miss Thompson was very unforgiving for this," Alex said, sincerely.

"Thank you, Alex, but that is part of the new evidence," Eloise told him. "Someone had to have known and if it's not a maid, then someone close to the family, which is only us so unless it's secretly Eleanor or you, then it has to be someone who could easily figure it out. Someone who was close to the Featheringtons, someone who is a tradesperson."

"Madame Delacroix," Alex realizes. "She hears all the gossip in town while people are getting fitted. She wouldn't even need to go to the balls to hear about anything. People trust her."

"Yes, but when would she have the time?" I ask.

"That's what I was thinking, if a maid couldn't, how could she? But the thing is, she has friends, friends who surely know how to write so what if she tells them everything to write and they write it for her. At the very least she helps spread stuff to Lady Whistledown or knows who she is and is helping keep her identity a secret," Eloise explains, clapping her hands just as a door down stairs slams shut.

"Sorry about that, that must be Colin," I frown, thinking about the pain our brother was in.

"He loved her," Eloise nodded. "Don't know how much she loved him, but he loved her. He wanted to run away with her."

"It's terrible," Alex agreed. "Has the Queen asked about our hunting since?"

"No, she said to come to her when we had something solid, I know she's invested in this as we are though," Eloise reasoned.

"You are, Alex and I are just here for you," I laughed.

"Not true," Alex scoffed. "You love gossip and a good mystery and this gives me a chance to ignore the chores my parents are giving me to get me ready to inherit part of the family fortune in case my uncle or cousin should pass. Speaking of family last night I was given an invitation two in fact," Alex starts.

"To what?" Eloise asked.

"We shall be in practice everyday to prepare for Her Majesty's Luncheon and to the concert being held later this week, Eleanor and I are to perform as the lead violinists," he says. My mouth drops and I gasp a little. "Guess Lady Whistledown isn't all bad."

~

(Eloise)

"Oh, is this not lovely? All of us together again," mama said as we entered the garden where the luncheon was being held.

"Lovely, indeed. We should tempt scandal more often," Colin said bitterly.

"Not all of us are together," I muttered, looking for the orchestra.

"Make way! Must you all act like sheep flocking to the trough?" The Queen yelled, pushing her way to the couple. I groaned and moved to find Alex and my favorite sister. I followed the music to find Len and Alex seated next to each other with three ladies behind them as they played a simple song.

I clapped when it came to an end, "Go enjoy some refreshments El. You shouldn't sit around all day watching us or looking for her," Eleanor tells me.

"Oh all right," I rolled my eyes and headed off. I'm still certain that Madame Delacroix is the way to get to her, but I must keep my mind open, it could be anyone of these women.

"Her Majesty requires an audience," someone comes up to tell me. I remember him, he's one of the butlers of the queen.

"With- With me? Now?" I asked, following him.

"Ah, Here," the queen said, passing off her dog to someone else and then shooing them away. "Who is she?"

"Your Majesty?" I asked her, not understanding.

"Whistledown!" she snapped like it was obvious, making me oh. "I tasked you with unmasking the scandalmonger."

"Believe me, I am intent on locating her and am angry at myself for having not yet uncovered her identity. But I was thinking—"

"Clearly not fast enough. My patience has limits," she told me. "Maybe I need to talk to your sister and Mister Bonaparte. Perhaps if I correspond with them, I will get better results." I hummed and nodded, "Get me an answer. Your queen commands it."

"Of course. Your Majesty," I bowed before walking off quickly. I have to find out who it is.

I saw the Featheringtons arrive and people start whispering as I run over to Penelope. I tap her, before grabbing her hand and pulling her away to where Alex and Eleanor were on break. "Pen. How are you faring? Has it been terrible at the house?"

"How are you?" Eleanor asked as she and Alex ran to us, seeing her for the first time in days.

"We've not had a caller in three days. My mother swears we are ruined. But what of Colin? Is he in pieces from the news?" Penelope asked. I see Len smile sadly, Penelope's sisters and her are going through a hard time and all she can think of is how this may have hurt Colin.

"His pride is wounded, but he will be quite well," I assure her.

"The gentlemen always are in these matters, but—Pen, you have not heard what people are saying," Eleanor tells her, concerned.

Alex nods, "Lady Whistledown has gone too far this time."

"And I thought you three were her greatest admirers," Penelope said, shocked.

"Not when she has smeared the name of my greatest friend. When we uncover Whistledown's identity, we will convince her to publish a retraction and restore your family's reputation. All will be well again, I promise you," I tell her, determined to make this right.

"It doesn't matter if we have to blackmail or threaten her," Eleanor says, backing me up, hugging Pen from the side.

"We're here for you, Penelope," Alex grins at her. We all walk with her back to her family as I see the same butler who took me to the queen approach her.

"But I have an invitation," we hear her protest.

"Not anymore. I am sure you wish to avoid any further unpleasantness," he says. I watch sadly as Penelope rejoins her family as they are escorted out.

~

(Eleanor)

Unfortunately, after Penelope was escorted out with her family, Alex and I had to get back to our violins. Soon it was well after midday and people started to leave as it was getting quite hot. As soon as most people had left we were allowed to start packing up our instruments.

"I must say, that was some incredible string work," I hear from behind us. Both Alex and I turn around to see the queen.

"Your majesty," we bow to her.

"I hope to see you on the stage one day by yourselves, with no one to outshine or over shadow you," she nods to us as we bow again as she leaves. "Maybe at my nephew's wedding."

Dearest reader, a question.

Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward.

Yet, wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret. Of course, one can never know for sure whether a wager will make a fortune or ruin it, unless one chooses a more secure pursuit.

But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand⦠which leaves gossip in short supply in recent days.

In fact, this author can think of no other event that merits a mention. It is worthy of note, however, that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together. Our newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss. Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year?

"In the past, every Whistledown revelation appeared to be plucked from a public event, where any of our ton could have borne witness. But, as I was telling the other two earlier, the column that singled out Marina was different," Eloise explained to Penelope to catch her up.

"It was personal," Pen agreed.

"Your mama did not just help Marina hide her condition all on her own," Eloise suggested.

"Of course not. Every servant in our household knew," Penelope told her.

"A servant is unlikely. Though, perhaps a tradesperson. Someone who visited your household regularly might have seen or overheard something," Eloise speculated. I bet she's getting to her Madame Delacroix theory.

"It is a possibility," Pen nodded.

"In that case, we must reconsider our methods of inquiry to this end. This is wonderful, Pen. I must tell the queen of our new theory. I didn't tell her about my theory that I shared with Len earlier because I need more reason, more evidence," Eloise spoke as she wrote in her journal.

"Then tell her at tonight's concert. I know you are not yet out, but I am sure your mama would still allow you to attend," Penelope suggested.

"Once we unmask Whistledown–"

"Yes, yes, the Featherington honor will be restored. I must return home. I shall take the back stairs so no one will see me," she says sadly. "And, El, Len? Thank you." I looked a little confused, I haven't really done much.

As soon as she leaves El turns to me, "You're coming with me." I look at her exasperated.

"I'm performing tomorrow! Did you just think I would not?"

~

"I suppose I was surprised to hear you wished to join us this evening," Mama said as the three of us stood in front of the mirror.

"And I suppose I must be grateful for your restraint in not using any feathers," Eloise retorted.

"You both look lovely," Mama corrected.

"I'm not sure about Eloise's head piece, but–"

"Eleanor, Eloise. Taking your place in society should be an exciting time in a young woman's life. If you are not truly ready, I shall not ask you to play pretend. Perhaps I have been rushing you. We need not hasten your coming out before you feel prepared," mama said. I smiled at her. Finally, she was seeing reason. I may be okay with coming out even though I don't truly want it yet, but Eloise certainly isn't. Well, both of us are as clumsy and awkward as they come so it's possible that neither of us are ready.

"The queen will be in attendance at tonight's concert, will she not?" Eloise asked. If she's there then Eloise is probably still going to make us go.

"I believe she will," mama confirmed.

"Then I am looking forward to it. An exciting time indeed, Mama," Eloise nodded.

"Well, then best not be late," she tells us before she started out of the room, "I can not wait to see you perform!"

I turned "Are you sure? You can back out right now. Alex and I wouldn't be upset."

"Yes, anything to help Pen."

~

"And so you see, Your Majesty, it is clear as day. Lady Whistledown works closely with the members of the ton, yet she is not a member herself. She is a tradesperson," Eloise explains, reading from her notes. She never mentioned Madame Delacroix and I do not know why.

"Is that all?"

"I beg your pardon?" Eloise asked back.

"I am no longer in need of your services," the queen told us.

"But, uh my theory—"

"It is not necessary. I have hired a team of Bow Street Runners to do a proper investigation. They will unmask Whistledown, and she shall be made to pay for her impertinence. That noxious gossip rag will finally cease to exist," the queen mutters victoriously.

"You want to silence her? But there is still good she must do," Eloise counters.

"Children, go," the queen orders. We both get up to leave and I let Eloise walk ahead.

"Your majesty if I may, Lady Whistledown could do a lot of good, and might be your enemy now, but imagine if you had her on your side? This could do good for you, her, and the rest of the ton, especially if her paper started getting wider. More people read it, it can change from a gossip column to saying how well England is prospering in a night," I explained. "Just think of it."

The queen pauses, "I believe that is the most I have ever heard you talk. You should more, although future husbands may not like it, I do. Now, run along the concert is going to begin soon," I nodded and bowed to her before heading off backstage.

I walk over to Alex who is pacing, "Oh there you are!" He exclaims, seeing me. "Show was going to start without you."

"I just need to finish talking to the Queen with Eloise, apparently, she hired bow street runners to unmask Lady Whistledown," I whisper to him.

"Well, then our plan for her to write good of the Featheringtons would be ruined, their reputation–"

"I'm sure Eloise has a plan, and if not, we shall make one ourselves," I smirk at him.

"Places, we're going on stage," one of the stage hands runs telling us. We line up and the first ones walk on stage and sit in their seats. Alex and I are last as our seats were some of the closest to the audience. We all raised our bows as the conductor motioned for us to and then we started playing. We played song after song and then the first chair did their solo and we all did back up.

As the night came to a close we all stood up and bowed as the audience clapped for us. I looked up to the boxes and saw Mama and Antony clapping and then to the Hastings box where Daphne was out of her seat clapping and yelling with a big grin. Her husband sat there clapping with a small smile. I then looked to Alex who was watching his family's box that held his older sisters, and younger brother. I remember Benedict and Eloise and started looking for them, but I couldn't see, maybe they had just moved.

We grabbed our instruments and headed off stage to pack up. Alex and I placed our Violins back in their cases and headed to the front of the theatre. "Oh, that was marvelous darlings," mama said, hugging both of us.

"Yes, it was quite splendid, sister, Alexzander," Anthony nodded with a smile.

"Nevermind that, it was absolutely spectacular!" Daphne grinned. As I looked at her more closely she had teary eyes and her face was a little red. "I loved it, didn't you Simon?"

"Uh–um, yes. You both are quite talented," the duke complimented.

"Thank you," I nodded to him with a smile, making Daphne look a little surprised.

"ALEX, LEN!" We hear someone yell as Alex's brother comes up to us. "Lord Bridgerton, Lady Bridgerton, your graces," he acknowledges them, before turning back to us. "That was excellent!"

"Brother, other brother," Alara says, slightly jogging. "I was talking to her for two seconds."

"Well why aren't you with your husband?" Alonza asked her.

"Because, I don't want to be," she says. "Oh, by the way, since my favorite people are here, except Eloise. I would like to announce that I am with child!"

"Oh, congratulations!" Daphne and mama tell her. Daphne was a little more strained than mama.

"Finally," Alex grins.

I shove him a little, "She probably wasn't trying very hard. If I was her and married him I wouldn't either."

"Well, we should get going, goodnight," Daphne said quickly, leaving with her husband.

Everyone else gives their congratulations when Alex speaks up again, "Where is Eloise. We just played for three hours her and Benedict could at least come and greet us."

I laughed and turned to mama, "She-um. Her and Benedict—"

"They have gone home, both had quite a bit enough for one night," Anthony told us and I looked down.

"Oh, thank you for telling us, brother," I thanked him. "How about we go home, it is quite late."

"Len–"

"I hope you have a great night, Alexzander, Alara, Amara, Alanzo." I nodded to them before heading to our carriage. I got in and Anthony and mama joined shortly after.

— Yours Truly, Lady Whistledown

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 726 13
The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn, Charlotte and Benedict Bridgerton, find themselves on the brink of new adventures as they confront the c...
184K 8.1K 22
❝ i don't suppose you remember me, do you benedict? ❞ ❝ belle! you've grown ... i mean you're a lady now! ❞ ❝ i think 'lady' might be a bit...
17.6K 519 28
After spending years as one of the most sought-after bachelorette of the ton, Esmeralda Blackwood has decided one last time for the sake of her fathe...
93.3K 1.8K 35
Eleanora Fitzwilliam had known Anthony Bridgerton since they were both merely three and ten years of age. Eleanora's unexpected marriage to another m...