The Prince's Private Symphony

By demonlover07

Eloise Bridgeton is a facinating woman. She does not play by societal rules. But what happens when there's an... More

Season One
1. Diamond of the First Water
2. Shock and Delight
3. Art of the Swoon
4. An Affair of Honor
6. Swish
7. Oceans Apart
8. After the Rain
Season Two
1. Capital R Rake
2. Off to the Races
3. A Bee in Your Bonnet
4. Victory
5. Unthinkable Fate
6. The Choice
7. Harmony
Whoops
8. The Viscount Who Loved Me
Season Three

5. The Duke and I

444 12 0
By demonlover07

We all raced home and Daphne immediately ran up to her room to get undressed. "Shouldn't you be heading up with Daphne, Len?" Colin asked. I stared at him and looked back at me. "Are you quite well?"

"I've been awake for over 24 hours, I played almost 6-7 hours worth of ballroom music. I have yet to have a single thing to eat since lunch yesterday, I'm covered in mud, my fingers feel like they're about to fall off, I got a cold last night, my sister came home crying and I still yet to find out why, I had to watch my eldest sister being fondled by her soon-to-be husband, and had to watch her almost get shot, all while yet still in uncomfortable heels and a ballgown, so I'm am doing swimmingly, Colin," I tell him and my other two brothers who were standing right there before turning around and marching up stairs.

I open Eloise and I's door and draw the curtain, "Wake up, Eloise," I smack her with a pillow.

"What? What time is it? What happened to you?" She asked, looking at me covered in mud.

"No matter that now, tell me why you came home crying last night before I have a breakdown," I tell her, undressing myself out of my ball gown.

"Penelope and I had a fight because you were right and it wasn't any maid and so I thought back to what you said and I thought, 'what if it was a widow' so I went over to talk to her about it. She got all mad saying that she needs to be thinking about mature things like marriage and then got mad at me because I'm a pretty Bridgerton and don't have to worry about marriage or being out in society right now," she explained very fast.

"Well, she's under a lot of stress right now, trying to court men and we're not exactly making it easier on her, plus she feels like she has to be mature because her mother is a lunatic. We also have more advantages than her, being in our family, we're fortunate," I explained to Eloise. "She was very rude about it though. I'm sure you'll both apologize and get over it soon."

"Yes, I'm sure you're right," she nods. "Now, tell me what happened with you."

"This might take a while," I sigh.

~

"Well?" I ask her as she sips some tea and I shove down all the food nearby.

"Well, I think you're going to choke if you eat any faster," she says and I glare at her. "I'm flabbergasted. I really can't think of what to say. I'm sorry you had to see that, I'm sorry I wasn't the most interesting part of your night. I mean you performed beautifully for the whole ton and then— that."

"I wish you were the most interesting part of my night," I chuckle.

"Here, you can nap on me whilst I read," she says, opening her arms. I look at her, is she really doing this? "Come on." I smile and lay on her as she starts reading her book.

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials, an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"How does it feel, sister, to be in love?" Hyacinth asked. I never thought about that. I do wonder what it feels like, if I will ever feel it. Oh, and I feel bad for Francesca. She will miss the wedding. I would never want any of my siblings to miss my wedding if I have one.

"Imagine leaping off a cliff and shattering on the ground. A fair analogy?" Eloise asked, teasing our sister.

"I am afraid I cannot find the words, dear Hyacinth. Though, Eloise, I believe you will know what love feels like soon enough next season," Daphne smiled at her. I laughed.

"You think I am to follow in your footsteps? Can there be a more dreadful fate?" She asked our older sister.

"You do know that I am setting the standard for your future matches, yes? You should be grateful," Daphne snapped at her.

"The only thing I am grateful for is that I am not you, nor will I ever be," Eloise snarked at her.

"Daphne, you must realize by now, what she–we want is not the same as you," I tell her as Rose fixes her hair.

"Miss Daphne, His Royal Highness Prince Friedrich is here for you," Humbolt announces. I smile at her as she walks away.

"Oh, Rose, if you need a hand planning the wedding I am more than welcome to help. I can also help the cooks prepare the food if needed," I offer.

"That would be most appreciated," Rose smiles at me. I grab her arm and we both head down to the kitchen where she talks with the other maids about making preparations.

I help the cooks start making the food and put a couple batches in the oven when Rose comes in with a notebook and pencil with Miss Wilson, " Your mistress will not know the household staff at the duke's country home, so it will be your business to attend to her needs and ease her arrival. Her happiness is your greatest concern," Miss Wilson instructs.

"Oh no! No, no, no! The icing must be as white as lilies. This is a proper family," Miss Wilson complains.

"A shipment of fine sugar went down at sea. There is no more in London, for love nor money," the cake decorator says.

"Oh, step aside," I tell him. I grab a saucepan, milk, flour and salt. I mix it in the saucepan until combined and take it away from the heat. I keep mixing until it thickens before putting it against the color already on the cake. "There, that's better," I smile. I start putting it on the cake and then the cook that was decorating starts making more of it.

"Does Miss Daphne wish for roses or lilacs for the ceremony?" One maid asks Rose.

"Uh, Does your mistress wish the cake to be soaked in rum or brandy?" The cook I'm working with asks.

"Will it be tongue or ham with eggs for the reception?"

"I am not sure. I shall ask," Rose says.

"Rose, you are the future duchess's lady's maid. You must know these things," Miss Wilson tells her.

"Ham with eggs for the reception, lilacs Daphne prefers the purple color, and rum for the cake," I instructed everyone and they looked at me. "I know my sisters and brothers like the back of my hand, trust me."

Everyone gets back to working as I and the cook I'm working with start on the next layer of cake. Eloise enters the kitchen just as we're putting more into the oven. "Eloise, I must insist you leave," I tell her.

"Well, considering the most sleep you've gotten has been the hour you spent on top of me I don't think I should leave you in this hot room," she counters. "At least not without showing you the latest Whistledown."

"What, is it talking about Daphne's marriage?" I ask, starting on more bread.

"Well, that and 'The most spectacular thing at last night's ball was Miss Eleanor Bridgerton's performance of kabalevsky violin concerto. It was truly a sight to behold. I must say she seems like the woman everybody should and will want to be the day she comes into her first season.

"'I should see no reason other than her own opinion of why she should not be married off immediately, if her sister presents any tone of her future then she has many suitors indeed and might be the next Princess of Prussia instead,'" Eloise says, reading from the latest edition of Whistledown.

"What?" I ask her and she goes on.

"'Another reason could also be that her partner Mister Alexzander Bonaparte, who has a strangely close relationship with the Prince of Prussia, is keeping her far too busy with the performances they both have had. They are the musicians of today and are the ones you wish to perform at your gathering, although how young they are could cause a scandal, who knows how much time they have together, unchaperoned,'' Eloise finishes.

"Well, she didn't have to say that last part, but thank you Eloise that was truly something," I told her with a huge smile on my face.

"I should expect you and Alex to have many an offer coming soon. You might not even be able to take them all and become in that much more of higher demand," Eloise laughs. "Now, I shall leave you all to your wedding prep as I avoid mama."

~

And it has finally come the day that my eldest sister gets married, the day that the first sibling finally leaves. Eloise and I sat next to each other, talking when the music started and Daphne started her walk down the aisle with Anthony. The Duke slowly turned around as Daphne made her way towards him. Once at the front we were all seated. "Dearly beloved, we are gathered to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony. It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty but more of safety than the single life. In the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. I now pronounce you man and wife." We clap for them as they kiss.

We moved back to the house for the reception and many more guests arrived for the party. "It really is a lovely cake," Penelope says as her, Eloise, Alex, and I stand in front of it.

"Well, of course it is, Len helped make it, we all know how great a baker she is," Alex laughed. Eloise is refusing to even look at her.

"Well, it was more the cooks doing, I just helped with some of the extras that they needed done," I counter.

"Oh just take the compliment," Alex elbows me.

"Oh, I must get back to Marina," Pen says, excusing herself from the group.

"Whatever is going on with her?" Alex asked.

"She's trying to be a good cousin and help Marina find a husband before she has to go back to her farm," Eloise explained with bitterness in her voice.

"Well, she has at most a month or two so they better hurry," Alex says, taking a drink from the waiter. I look over at Pen as she talks to Marnia, pointing out people.

"So I just started this new book, it's all about a woman writer and her sisters. I think you would like it very much, Eloise," Alex tells her. "I have an extra copy too."

"Sounds interesting, although I am a tad bit occupied with trying to find Lady Whistledown," she laughs.

"Well, I shall help you both on your endeavors then. I will still keep the option open if you want it however," he smiles at her.

"Thank you, Alex." I smile at the both of them and look back over to Marina who is heading straight for Colin.

"Why don't we go and raid the food?" I ask them. "Then have one dance each to satisfy mama and Daphne."

"I would be delighted, I'm starving," Eloise says. She starts walking, still on the lookout for someone who could be Lady Whistledown. She doesn't look where she's walking and runs straight into Penelope. They awkwardly step around each other and Eloise pulls me to her side.

"Alexzander!" One of the boys across the room calls out.

"Go, it's fine," Eloise and I tell him. He nods to us before heading towards them. "How about we question Lady Danbury, she could be Lady Whistledown, she fits the profile."

"Okay, but what about Lady Trowbridge. She hasn't really been written about, plus she loves gossip and a big spectacle. She's also a widow," I offer.

"Oh, yes! We shall keep an eye out for her. Did you really think it could be one of the debutantes?" She asks as we wrap our arms around each other's.

"Well, I was thinking more of a spinster, but yes," I sigh. "Honestly, I thought we would've fought more this season, but we haven't."

"Too much has been going on to even think about quarreling with each other," Eloise scoffs. "It is oddly unsettling though to not be bickering."

"Well, then, I must say that ribbon in your hair looks absolutely ridiculous," I tell her.

"As does yours."

"And what have you done with your hair, why is it looking thin?" I ask her.

"Well, I might have cut it myself and it is still trying to grow back," she tells me. "Ah, here Lady Danbury. Lady Danbury!"

"Yes, Miss Bridgerton?"

"I apologize for my bluntness, but are you Lady Whistledown?" She asked, making me look at her in disbelief. Is that really how she's doing this? As if anyone would come out and say it. "Yes, you certainly enjoy spreading secrets, do you not?"

"Dear child, have you lost your wits? Everyone enjoys secrets. Even Your sister loves spilling them to me over tea, even ones she makes up on her own. Otherwise, why would Lady Whistledown's paper be so successful? I am flattered by your accusation, but it is simply not true. Though, when you unmask the writer, do let me know," she says, walking away.

"You believe Whistledown is Lady Danbury?" The Queen comes up to us asking.

"Your Majesty," we bow to her both awkwardly.

"What evidence have you gathered?" She questioned us.

"You would like to know what evidence we have gathered in our investigation of Lady Whistledown?"

"Are you requiring your queen to ask again? Tell me what you know," she orders.

"Well, I believe her a widow," she begins. "She obviously has the financial means to print, she has access to all of the events in the ton, yet no eyes are ever on her."

"You've made progress," she smirks. "How many are there in this case of yours?"

"Oh, me and my sister here, and our friend Alex—um—"

"Alexzander Bondaparte?" The Queen asked.

"Uh, yes?" Elosie says, more as a question.

"Well, do keep me updated on everything you find," the queen tells us. "You are to find out the mystery of Lady Whistledown's identity."

We watch her as she walks away once more. "Did that really just happen?" Eloise asks me.

"I'm not sure, maybe if I hit you both of us will wake up?" I suggest. She turns to me and elbows me in the ribs.

"Ow."

~

"Perhaps I can come with you," Gregory asks, as Daphne holds his and Hyacinth's hands as we walk with her down the stairs. "I've always wanted to live in a castle."

"If Daphne is going to take anyone with her, Gregory, it will be me," Hyacinth argues. I laugh, shaking my head. They act just like Eloise and I.

"The two of you are staying here until our dear sister allows us a visit," Colin tells them, hugging her.

"You mean if she allows us a visit. I'm sure you'll enjoy the peace and quiet," Benedict says, hugging her too.

"I am going to miss all of you terribly," Daphne smiles at all of us.

"Even me?" Anthony asks.

"Even you," she confirms. "I have a present for you," she says, turning to Eloise. " It is upstairs, made of four walls and a very comfortable bed. You both are young ladies now, you must be able to have your own rooms."

"I suppose the light in your room is quite pleasant," Eloise grins.

"I know the three of us could not be any more different, but there is one thing we do share, the certainty that you both will make your own way in this world. I am sure of it, Eloise, Eleanor," she nods to us and then walks over to mama.

We watched as our sister entered the carriage followed by her new husband. I grabbed Eloise's hand as the carriage departed and we all slowly went inside to finish the food and clean up.

As we're eating some of the leftover cake Anthony comes up to Colin and Benedict, "Are you boys up for a round of shooting?" He asked.

"We can't," Benedict protests. "Too many surrounding neighbors."

"Well, who said that I was talking about pistols?" Anthony asked.

"Even if you weren't we still need to go to the fields," Colin tells him.

"Precisely," Anthony grins.

Mama walks over to the three of them."Boys, whatever it is you are about to do, at least take Eloise and Eleanor with you," she smiles at them. "They deserve a bit of fun too."

The boys look at each other and groan before looking at us.

~

Eloise and I grinned as we rode our horses down to the field. Each of us had a bow and a satchel of arrows with us. The boys don't like to play with us because they know how much of amazing shooters we are. They usually play terribly so that we'll give up and they can play on their own so they have a chance of winning.

"Alright, just like usual," Anthony yells, setting up the target. "Five rounds, each ring gets points."

"Center is worth 50," we all say back to him and he nods.

"Youngest first as always," he nods to me and I grin at him sarcastically. I take an arrow out of my satchel and line up my bow. I pull back and release. It flies through the air and hits dead center.

All the boys curse under their breaths as I high five Eloise as I go to retrieve my arrow. As soon as I get out of the way, El releases her arrow and it also hit center. I take it out and throw both on the ground. We don't take out the arrow unless it hits the center and then we place it on the ground.

We also each have a different color on the wings to say who's is who's. Eloise is light purple, mine is dark purple, Anthony is red, Benedict blue, Colin yellow. Hyacinth would be orange, Gregory green, Francesca pink, and Daphne light blue, but they don't usually play with us.

Colin lines up his shot and hits the circle outside of the center and he groans. Benedict pulls back and hits the outermost rim of the target. Anthony laughs at him before pulling back and missing the target completely.

"You know what? Us three are better with pistols," Anthony contests as Eloise and I giggle at their losing.

"How about we just head home?" Colin suggests.

"What afraid of losing brother?" I ask, lining up again and firing. It hits the center again.

"I fold," Benedict says, placing his bow at his feet.

"Me too," Colin says, placing his bow down.

"You know it's crazy," Eloise says, drawing her bow back. "Our first sibling got married today and the next time we speak it'll most likely be through letters. We won't see her much in the summer and if we do she'll most likely be with child and it'll be our misery next season." She releases the arrow and it hits right next to mine.

"Eloise, you must know that it will not be that terrible. You'll find love, that's what you want, isn't it?" Anthony asks. He draws back his bow before hitting the edge of the target.

"No, I don't want to be pressured into marriage, I want to marry who I want when I want. I want to write, I want something different from what this society can offer."

I step up to the spot before speaking, "There's so many things we could do with our lives. Hyacinth could do something political, Eloise be a writer or a governess. I could professionally be a violinist, but no. We are seen only by our sex." I shoot my arrow angrily and it hits right above my other, making a triangle.

"I have no doubt that you two will make something of yourselves," Benedict says.

"Everyone keeps saying that," Eloise and I both snap. "How can we when we are put down for thinking such thoughts by our friends, by our mother? If it were that easy, I would've signed up for university and Eleanor would be speaking with the captain about her opinions on the war efforts. So would Hyacinth! I didn't even know she knew about the war."

"What?" Colin laughs.

Eloise groans, "Ever since we found out about the war Len and Hycainth keep wishing to put their opinions in, but you boys keep putting them down as little girls! I wish to fight for our rights! Even Daphne wished she could have an opinion on how things are done!"

"It isn't fair," I tell them. "There are so many things we could do with our lives if we were men. Colin's going to travel, Anthony has been to university, Benedict has the choice to become an artist. You all can be with whoever whenever and marry when you choose, which is why Daphne, your younger sister, was the first to marry and that was because she was caught doing what you've done so many times!"

"Well, we all know what you two don't!" Colin snaps. "That you two and Hyacinth have the will to do whatever you please when you want. It doesn't matter if you ruin yourselves while doing it or have to kill someone, you'll make sure you're happy without having to get married unless you want."

"We should get back, it's getting late," Benedict says, trying to calm the three of us down, making El and I scoff.

"Why is it that you only defend us in private? The only one who says this stuff about us to anyone other than us is Colin. He is a good friend to Penelope, talks about El and I like we have the potential to rule the world. Talks fondly of all our siblings. Daph does too, but you and Anthony don't do anything–"

"Because we can't. I'm not going to risk this family by speaking out when I shouldn't," Anthony says.

"That's what makes people think you're a coward. That and the fact that you won't find love with someone other than a mistress," Eloise tells him.

We all take our stuff and get back on our horses solemnly, "Are we too selfish sometimes?" I ask Eloise.

"Maybe, but as Colin said, we will do what it takes. You're already taking off as a violinist and just like Lady Whistledown I will write and fight for what I want the world to be for us and for future generations," she says.

"You, kids?" I ask with a smile.

"It's always a possibility. If not, I'm still here for Daphne's kids and Colin's."

This is where this chapter ends for the newlyweds, with a new one beginning. We wish them all the luck.

— Yours Truly, Lady Whistledown

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 4.6K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
184K 8.1K 22
❝ i don't suppose you remember me, do you benedict? ❞ ❝ belle! you've grown ... i mean you're a lady now! ❞ ❝ i think 'lady' might be a bit...
1.5M 44.4K 54
"𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒊𝒏, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐�...
40.5K 1K 17
𝐷𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠, I have been sharping my quills in preparation for this years social season; which I ensure will be filled with as much...