Water Under the Bridge || Eva...

By aprilmoonlight16

In which, Josephine attempts to overcome the losses amid saving lives in the city. [911 SEASON 3-4] More

water under the bridge
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven

chapter four

2.2K 83 4
By aprilmoonlight16

irreparable damage

"Do you really have go to this?"

Alexis frowned upon Josephine showing up in firefighter uniform when she emerged into the kitchen. The blond dropped her spoon in her acai bowl watching her best friend pouring herself coffee.

Josephine pursed her lips; eyes remain intact with the amount of coffee she poured into her mug. "It's an arbitration hearing. I won't be put on trial or anything." She and the rest of the members have been summoned for this hearing with their Fire Captain.

The blond scoffed, leaning back into the chair and folded her arms. "This is ridiculous."

An amused giggle slipped from Josephine. "That's what my abuelo said at dinner yesterday." She recalled the old Santiago man willing to do something despite being retired nor worked in the LAFD. However, he intends to find a way and is a respected man with connections. He did call Calvin who explained there was nothing he could do.

"How do you feel about this?"

Learning about Buck's lawsuit against the city, LAFD, and Bobby shocked Alexis while the news left bewildering expressions on the rest of the firefighters in the 118 Firehouse. According to Athena, buck did the honor to serve the papers to Bobby outside of their front door late at night. The couple assumed he came to make amends after their disastrous dinner. With this lawsuit, it put the LAFD and the city on edge if this blows over to the press. 

The brunette sighed into her drink, "All I want to do is go in there and get it over with." She dreaded for this hearing though had no other option. Like the others, it infuriated her that Buck would have the audacity to hurt them when all they've done is support him through his recovery. More to the fact that he proclaimed he was wrongfully terminated by Bobby. 

"If his attorney is like Annalise Keating then you should be prepared." Alexis shared a mindful suggestion. 

"Buck wants his job back not a way to get out a life sentence for a crime he did. I think I'll be okay." Josephine sarcastically replied.

Alexis pouted at her. "We were supposed to go to the music festival today."

Her remark caused Josephine to sigh again as the arbitration hearing clashed with the music festival happening. They were driving out with a group of friends which was supposed to be a great weekend for them. Josephine even packed her bags for the Airbnb now filled with wasted outfits.

"Then go have fun for me."

"This is not a trial, and I am not a judge. This arbitration will address Mr. Buckley's claim against the Los Angeles Fire Department for wrongful termination."

Josephine listened once settled besides the fire department's lawyer present. Her hands were clasped on the table sitting with the perfect posture. Those brown orbs of hers sent daggers straight across Buck dressed in a suit forming a hesitant expression. His face seemed to have faltered in the previous hearings to confront the people he called family be ravaged by his attorney about their personal lives. Inside, he wasn't prepared to see the damage that'll become of their friendship after this.

The hearing commenced giving Chase Mackey, Buck's attorney the signal to build up his claims such as the unequal treatment in the 118 firehouse. Amusement enveloped in Josephine at the sight of Buck's chosen attorney for this lawsuit being the "ambulance chaser" from a mishap in a recent fire drill. It was no surprise that the man eager to pursue a lawsuit against the city due to that unfortunate staircase incident would use Buck to strengthen his case. His persuasion couldn't be easier enough after Bobby told Buck that he was the person blocking his clearance to return.

"So, it's fair to say Captain Nash followed a pattern of allowing firefighters with serious injuries back after less than a month." Chase argued after pointing out examples such as Chimney's rebar accident.

Josephine stared at him blankly, "I am not qualified to speak on behalf of Buck's medical status. But I will say I understand Captain Nash's perspective considering he oversees the many lives in the 118. He needs them to be at a 100%. I guess, he doesn't feel Buck is there at this moment to be brought back on the field."

"And you were injured in that explosion that night too, am I right?"

"The difference between my injuries with Buck is that I wasn't pinned down by a fire truck. My injuries were minor which explains my quick recovery and ability to get back on the job." She thoroughly explained.

She kept her chin up and appeared unbothered by the man's jabs. When her eyes loomed over to Buck, who could barely sustain eye contact. They sat in this very room because of him yet he looked like the one being cornered in this hearing.

Chase steadied his gaze on her for a short moment, taking a glimpse at his notes. "So, you're claiming a miscarriage was a minor injury as well?" His question echoed into the room caused Josephine's heart to drop. Her jaw clenched and hands clasped tighter, feeling a huge lump in her throat stuck. Meanwhile, guilt spread immensely on Buck's face seeing her try her hardest to not showcase any reaction.

"Because that feels it would weigh on someone like you a lot. Were you ready, Firefighter Santiago, to return to work after losing your baby?"

"I wasn't aware that I was pregnant until the doctor informed me nor was it a planned pregnancy." Josephine truthfully told. "Unfortunate as it was to hear, this job comes with sacrifices and losses. This loss wouldn't affect my return to work." She emphasized strongly as she met Buck's remorseful look.

He hummed, "But it would bring concern to your Captain. Did he not suggest for you to see a counselor? Or was he not aware in further detail of this minor injury per say your miscarriage?" He rebuttal Josephine's words back to her face and he wasn't done. "And you understand Captain Nash who oversees the several groups of firefighters in the 118 need them to be transparent and at a 100%?"

Through the rest of the hearing carried out the narrative about Bobby an incompetent Fire Captain. Moreso, his suspension to pointing out his chronic medical condition which was alcoholism. Chase had brought up the relapse that occurred a year and a half ago. Josephine could never forget that day, that moment she saw her Fire Captain feeling vulnerable and helpless.

"But it was you and Mr. Buckley who found Bobby passed out in his apartment."

Josephine glowered at Buck, "Yes. That happened."

Finally, the arbitration hearing concluded, and the team had been dismissed. Each face contorted dread and infuriation while waiting for the elevator doors to ring open. Neither spoken a word nor felt igniting a conversation would uplift the mood. Josephine avoided any eye contact amongst Fire Captain or colleagues. When the elevator doors open to their relief, they filed inside together. Yet, nothing couldn't end this awful afternoon to face Buck appearing content with the hearing coming towards them. Before he could join, Chimney practically read everyone's minds by crossing over Josephine and Bobby to close the elevator doors.

A casual gesture to Buck that the family he once knew wouldn't be willing to take him back with ease.

The ride down was silent. When the doors pushed open, Josephine scurried out of there without sparing a goodbye. She already begun unbuttoning her uniformed shirt on the way to her car feeling suffocated by it. She threw the door to her car open after taking out the keys to unlock it. Many emotions stirred to which startled Josephine unable to let it simmer.

She threw her head back on the headrest and took a deep breath, shutting her eyes. The corners of her mouth started to twitch due to the overwhelming emotions and flashes of the last few months plagued her mind. She had the ability to bury it although it became more difficult as time surpassed.

Going home to nobody was the last option nor did she want to be alone to be truthful. Neither did facing her family which would only arouse questions. Since dealing with the money hungry lawyer bombarding her with questions, she couldn't think of anywhere else to go until an idea popped in her head. 

Knowing the city that she has lived for most of her life sparked a place she hasn't been around for a long time. And so, Josephine pulled out her phone to scroll down the list of names saved on her contact list. Her fingers typed along the keyboard to formulate a text. Once sent, she waited for only a few minutes when a response surfaced.

After replying to the text, she started the ignition to her car and set out to drive. Before paving the way towards her destination, a pit stop at the nearest liquor store had been made. The uniformed top had been discarded into the trunk leaving her in a tank top with loose waves of her hair cascaded down her back after removing the hair tie. She picked up a pack of beer and snacks at the place.

The car rolled up to a hill where a large tree hovered. Josephine turned off the engine and stared out the window towards the place known to be a safe haven. Eventually, she went around to the trunk to pick up the bag of items from the liquor store and a blanket. By the time the beer bottle been brought to her lips for the third time, Bryan's car appeared from her peripheral sight.

Neither of them has seen each other since agreeing to stop sleeping together. Except when the news of the fire truck explosion occurred a few months back, Bryan sent a text checking up on the woman. 

As the two sat there and stared out to the city, Josephine confided in him of the previous events within the past week that began to make her feel on edge. She could only harness and save face to herself for so long.

Glancing down to her lap where her hands wrapped around the beer bottle, Josephine's lips started to quiver. "I had a miscarriage...after that fire truck explosion." She confessed in a low tone. It punctured her heart to declare it out loud to herself. "The funny thing is that I had a feeling. I'm a first responder, so, it's not that difficult to recognize the symptoms...but a part of me refused to believe it. Mark and I were careful until I remembered one of those nights we weren't. We've only been dating for a couple of months. I-I couldn't fathom the idea of having a baby."

"Instead of telling anyone or taking a test, I proceeded like any regular day." She sniffled, taking in deep shaky breaths. "Then the fire truck explosion happened...when I woke up, the doctor confirmed that I was about three weeks pregnant." She paused for moments as the memory flushed into her mind.

Josephine blink rapidly as tears pooled in her eyes, she licked her lips. "You would think I would tell Mark instead I-I told him I love him. I did because he's been so good to me. But I couldn't bring myself to tell him—to tell him that I got our baby killed because I was too selfish and tried to avoid it at all costs."

"Josie, it wasn't your fault. You were scared and nobody knew that fire truck would be a target to the serial bombings."

She ignored him, "Mark took care of me during recovery. Everything seemed fine though the guilt kept eating me inside. I harbored this anger and frustration to unleash it on Mark. I pushed him away and he kept fighting until...he found out." Her mouth tugged downwards as she shook her head. "He looked so hurt and mad. I couldn't blame him because I let it happen. So, ending our relationship appeared to be the best option—just running away always seemed to be the best option."

"Because all I do is hurt myself and other people." 

At the McDouglas duck farm, the 118 firefighters parked and trailed after the owner after making a call at the 911 dispatch center. Josephine carried a bag of tools and fallen behind her colleagues where Bobby conversed with the owner, guiding them to the scene.

"The damn fools locked themselves to the belt locked themselves to the belt and the motor got kicked on. Now it seems to be stuck." He told, referring the "damn fools" as the protestors part of the Rage Against the Cage organization who snuck into the farm. They were livestreaming themselves taking action at the farm to save the ducks since the government done nothing. Unfortunately, the leader of this mission and few others set themselves in a dire situation.

"Can you cut the power?" Bobby inquired as they reached the horrific scene.

The owner sighed, "I do that, I got 1,4000 carcasses starting to rot."

Each member of the 118 acted in a haste to come to those injured. Josephine and Eddie took the ones able to unlock themselves from the motor to the paramedics to get checked. Meanwhile, Bobby and Chimney came to the aid of a young man still restrained by the lock to the motor. His friend next to the paramedic cried out, "Toby, where is the key to your lock? We can't find it?"

"I swallowed it." He choked.

"You swallowed it?" She repeated, sparing him a confused and upset look. "We didn't say anything about swallowing the keys!"

"Oh, you withheld information from your team. How's that working out for you?" Chimney mused.

Brushing off the paramedic's comment, Bobby keeping Toby stable called out. "Josie, bolt cutters!" He ordered as Eddie joined the latter to assist.

"Sir, try not to struggle." Eddie instructed calmly.

Josephine raced with the tool, dodging around people. "Coming in hot!" She announced then placed the cutters on the lock while everyone else held Toby to prevent any movement. Within a second, she managed to liberate the man who fell into Chimney and Hen's arms.

"I got some bruising, possible swelling of the trachea."

Hen slung her arm around Toby, walking towards the gurney with their kits rested to give him oxygen and medical attention protocol. "We're going to get you to the hospital. They'll check you out there."

"I'm fine. I don't need to go to the hospital." He said in a hoarse tone.

The owner showcased no sympathy commented, "He needs to go to jail." He strolled up to the power box and shut down the motor with ease.

"Hey, did you just shut that off?" Bobby snapped, Josephine and few others attention. He charged up with fury in his eyes at the owner.

He scoffed in response, "So?"

Josephine called out to their Fire Captain suddenly shoving the owner against the wall with his hands grasping on his shirt. "So, you could've done that the whole time, and you just let it run!" He shouted in disbelief, reeling shock to those who never seen this side of the man.

"Ah, man, they were trespass..."

"They're just idiot kids! They could've died!"

Bobby's grip tightened as the owner started to feel small by his wrath. Before anything could escalate any worse, Josephine grabbed his wrist to fully gain his attention. "Bobby!" She yelled, earning his gaze that now softened.

Abruptly, Toby started choking up which seemed to be the main priority than knocking down a spiteful farm owner. Bobby dropped the man and followed Josephine where Chimney, Eddie, and Hen acted quickly.

"It's gotta be that key." Chimney looked at Eddie.

"Keep coughing, buddy." Eddie told, patting the young man's back. "Starting the Heimlich!" He engulfed from behind performing the basic medical technique.

Hen took a glimpse then reverted to Eddie, "He's not breathing."

"Alright, get him on a backboard, now! Let's go!" Bobby demanded his team.

Josephine and Chimney lifted the back board from the gurney to the ground before Eddie and Hen settled Toby upon his back. Hen and Chimney began working on Toby after receiving a pulse. They ventilated him resulting in blood spurt out from his mouth. The duo presumed the key must've torn the trachea after willingly swallowing it.

"Oh, God. Please don't let him die on my property." The owner remarked in distress.

In a matter of time using their tools, the key had been recovered although Toby still wasn't breathing. Hen performed two rescue breaths causing his chest to rise to which brought relief to the rest of the protestors and first responders.

Josephine whipped her head at the owner, "You still want to press charges?"

"I think we're good."

"Okay, listen up. Last couple times we were here, mistakes were made. That is not gonna happen again. That is why I am pairing you up on your assignments." Bobby announced to the members of the 118 surrounding him at the front of Howie's Market. The team was on their daily grocery run to the market which their Fire Captain considers to be taken seriously. "Eddie, Lena, you are on meats and deli. Nothing leaner than 92%. Hen, Chimney, baking aisle. Unrefined flour this time. Thank you. Josie and I will cover fruits and vegetables. Once you have everything on your list, we will reconvene at the dairy case. Let's move!"

The team dispersed with their shopping carts and partners. Josephine sent a tight smile to Bobby, joining by his side and followed inside with a shopping cart.

Silence hung between the Fire Captain and young firefighter as they rolled through the produce aisle. It started to become deafening to Josephine since the odd shift from that arbitration hearing. The shopping trip clearly indicated a distraction for Bobby being upset with Buck's actions.

Aside from that, Josephine felt at fault for withholding a secret that likely sprung on Bobby for Buck's benefit in the case.

"I'm sorry."

Josephine blurted out causing Bobby to halt and divert from the yellow post-it note.

"I have no doubt the miscarriage was mentioned for their rebuttal when you went in. If I told you then it shouldn't have caught you off guard or used as a damn pawn..." She let out a humorless laugh, shaking her head. "But the last thing I needed was to have you or anyone make me feel too fragile on the field. I've already had people do that growing up."

A deep sigh escaped from Bobby's mouth, "Josie, you are far from fragile. You've proven your place in the 118 is permanent nor would I think to transfer you. But we are a family, so, we'll always have our worries." He clarified with an assuring look. "There is no need for an apology. You dealt with a personal matter that felt was best to keep to yourself. You don't owe me anything other than showing up and having the capability of doing your job."

"I do share my condolences. No one should experience a loss like that."

She saw the brief pain in his eyes at the reminder of his late children. They'll always plague on his mind throughout his life even with the fortune of gaining two new children—a new family, a second chance at life.

"Thank you, Cap."

"How are you doing, though?" He genuinely asked.

"I've been fine." Josephine breathed out the lie she's been telling herself and others for months. "And will be okay moving forward." She tugged the corners of her lips enveloping a small smile.

Bobby could say he trusted her word. Yet, that would be a lie. He's seen that façade on himself to his late wife and children almost every night prior to the last few months till their passing. Anyone can force a smile with ease, but the eyes entails so much when it doesn't match. Although with practice, it can fool a lot of people.

For him, he felt like staring at a reflection of his past.

Instead of pressing Josephine since they're standing in a section of the marketplace. He decided to move on from the conversation not without taking a note to keep a cautious eye on the brunette.

"Well, you can always talk to me if you need to."

They finished checking off their list and went down to the diary section to meet everyone. By the time the duo reached to their destination, neither expected to see a stammering Buck talking to Hen and Chimney.

"What are you doing here?"

Bobby intervened the conversation. Buck shot a sheepish look at his former Fire Captain and his colleague. His heart dropped at the brunette's glare before dismissing him.

Josephine was rather irritable and careless of his presence. More specifically his lack of apology shared to the firehouse. Unlike Josephine, Eddie charged towards Buck with rage much to everyone's surprise. Both men went at it like a tennis match with all the commotion.

Much to Josephine's relief, the dispute had been cut off by another commotion outside the parking lot. This one escalated for the worse when one of the cars crashed into the fire hydrant causing it to erupt underneath. All the first responders raced under Bobby's orders to diffuse the situation.

"Where's Eddie and Josie?"

Music bounced on the walls of the electrifying colorful lights of the dark club. One raven-haired woman surfed through the crowd of clashing drunken bodies to the V.I.P. area. She spotted the brunette snuggling on a man's lap whose lips were attached on. This caused the woman to roll her eyes gracing a sly smile at the repetitive behavior.

"Josie!"

Unable to gravitate the brunette's attention, a pillow was thrown at the duo while a chorus of laughter erupted in the background. Finally, the duo pulled away much to their annoyance at their friends.

"Stop making out and come dance with me!" The raven-haired woman begged with a pouty lip. She extended her hand out, "I literally slipped money to the DJ to play some good fucking music for us!"

Josephine giggled loosely at her friend and the amount of alcohol consumed in the last hour. She surrendered her hands, receiving appraisal of screams from the group. She turned back to the man and swiped the smudge of lipstick on his swollen lips before standing up.

She sent him a wink before pivoting and taking another shot. She joined her friend along with a few others behind to head out to the dance floor. These last few months between the night outings to the club, hooking up with strangers, and the alcohol has kept Josephine numb to all the pain bottled up inside. 

It seemed like the best taste of medicine. 

-Sorry for the long wait...drafting this chapter was difficult to approach between the direction and fitting together. Josephine's secret is out :( which affirms her oddish behavior. But this kind of parallels her troubled behavior in her teenage days that I've pictured. Now, you can understand her hurt from last chapter with her family. The state of Josie and Buck's friendship is obviously not great. I can attest that it will be wallowing much longer to reach the stage of forgiveness although take an interesting turn. Hope you like it! Tell me what you think! Don't forget to vote and comment! Stay tuned!-

WRITTEN: 9/1/22

PUBLISHED: 9/2/22

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.8K 2K 36
Alexandria Rivers has been fighting to survive her entire life. Joining the 118 was her first moment of peace, and eventually two guys show her how t...
17.2K 707 16
Kayla O'Malley grew up in a family full of lifesavers. Her mom is the Chief of Police, and her dad is Fire Chief. She joined the Pinehaven Fire Depar...
62.6K 793 28
"𝓘 𝓳𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓭𝓲𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓪𝔂.. 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓷𝓮𝓻𝓿𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓘 𝓶𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽 𝓼𝓪𝔂 𝓼𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝔀𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓰 𝓪𝓷𝓭...
386K 11K 39
In which, Sasha Carter's casual night outings completely changes her life. [911 SEASON 2-3]