Love at Sea (Finnick Odair)

By BeachSunshine

โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his... More

Cast
Playlist
ACT ONE - The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Tributes of the 67th Hunger Games
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
ACT TWO - The Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
ACT THREE - Catching Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
ACT FOUR - Mockingjay - Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
ACT FIVE: Mockingjay - Part Two
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
ACT SIX - The Aftermath
Chapter 1

Chapter 5

18K 525 561
By BeachSunshine

"What in the world are you doing?" Finnick yawned as he came and noisily stumbled down into the basement.

"Oh, hey, hold this," Taiya said quickly as she hurled a pile of blankets at him.

"Taiya, it's 6 in the morning. We should be asleep."

"I had such a good idea and I couldn't sleep. I'm just waiting for Tyler to wake up. I left a note on his bench telling him to come over."

"So let me get this straight. You were drunk last night, right as rain this morning, you've woken up with some mystery idea, broke into Tyler's house to leave him a note and are now tearing apart my basement?"

"Exactly," she nodded. "Well Tyler leaves his door unlocked, so technically I didn't break into his house... I just walked in."

"Ok," Finnick shrugged as he sat down on the stairs and leaned against the wall. "What's this excellent idea?"

"What'd Tyler use to help me after my parents died?" she asked him with a smile.

"He told you what to do a lot, so bossiness?"

"Funny. I like it," she smiled. "Training's the answer. I think it's a good idea. The only training area we have in 4 is the school's training grounds. But I don't think either of us really wants to be holding deadly weapons around a bunch of children. So I thought, why not use this big basement? What else are we going to do with it? It's a dumping ground now."

"You're turning my basement into a training room?" He asked and she nodded. "At 6 in the morning?"

"Go to bed Finnick, it's ok," she laughed as she walked up to him and twirled a loose curl that was resting on his forehead around her finger.

"About last night..." Finnick started when thundering footsteps interrupted.

"Taiya?" Tyler called out.

"Seriously? How early do you two wake up?" Finnick exclaimed.

Taiya smiled at him before quickly ducking down and kissing him before yelling out, "basement!"

Tyler came down the basement stairs and smirked at a half-asleep Finnick. "Little early for you is it, fish boy?"

"He's sleepy," Taiya mocked.

"I am," Finnick reluctantly agreed. "I'm going back to bed. You two psychopaths can enjoy yourselves but this is not an hour any reasonable person should be functioning," he grumbled as he grabbed the pile of blankets and made his way back upstairs.

Tyler looked around the room in confusion. "Seriously? You leave a note saying come over when you wake up because you want help redecorating?"

"I'm not redecorating Tyler," Taiya sighed. "And if I was, I wouldn't ask you. Have you seen your place?"

"Ouch," Tyler smirked.

"I had a brilliant idea!"

"Did it hurt?"

"Dude," Taiya scowled making Tyler chuckle.

"Ok let's hear the idea."

"I want to turn this into a training room. You did training with me after my parents died and it helped me. I know we've started running again but I'm thinking we should do weapons training. It helped before it could help now."

"I'm not so sure Taiya," Tyler hesitated.

"We're leaning away from it when I think we should be leaning into it. You think me holding a weapon will push me over the edge, but I think it might help."

"What'd Finnick say?"

"Pfft, that kid is half asleep. I just kissed him and I don't think he even realised."

"You kissed him?" Tyler smiled.

"Give it 2 minutes and it'll register and he'll be back down here. Trust me," she smiled. "I feel like I've turned the corner, my head feels clear. I feel great."

"I'm just glad you decided to listen to me."

"Oh don't be arrogant," Taiya smirked. "Shark and I talked last night. He set me straight."

"Seriously?" Tyler's jaw fell open. "You've barely spoken to the kid and one conversation and you listen."

"You helped me too," Taiya smiled teasingly. "Now," she clapped. "Do you want to help with my project?"

"We can clear this basement but we'll never get approval from the Capitol to keep training level weapons in this house."

"No need to worry," Taiya waved her hand. "I called Seneca this morning and he said he could make it happen."

"You spoke to Crane? Before 6 in the morning?"

"Yeah, we talk on the phone. Sure, I woke him up but he didn't complain."

"But how? Communication is forbidden?" Tyler asked.

"Snow approved it so we could get to know each other," she rolled her eyes. "I actually like him though, he's a real nice guy. Just... maybe don't mention it to Finnick. He gets a little funny whenever Seneca comes up."

"Just so long as you know what you're doing. Don't get caught up in a web Taiya, you'll get caught."

"Trust me," she assured. "I've got it."

Frantic footsteps came running down the stairs and Taiya and Tyler turned to look at Finnick racing down. "I'm here, I'm awake, I'm ready to help," he said excitedly as he bounded up to Taiya. "Put me to work I am at your disposal."

Laughing she turned to smirk at Tyler, who merely rolled his eyes before turning to pick up a box in the corner.

*********************

"No, no, no, Finnick!" Taiya yelped as she stumbled with the box he handed her.

"Sorry!" he apologised as he raced forward to take some of the weight. "What is in here?"

"My dad's books," she explained.

"Yep that explains it," he grunted as he carried the box up the stairs.

"I'm taking off," Tyler declared. "Most of the clearing is done and I am very much feeling like the unwanted third wheel."

"Ok, thanks, bye," Taiya smiled.

"Not even going to try and deny it," Tyler muttered as he walked out of the basement.

"Tyler left?" Finnick asked as he came back down the stairs.

"Yep, just you and me now," she smiled.

"You kissed me," he smiled back.

"I did," she agreed as she held her hands behind her back and walked toward him.

"You remember last night?"

"Crystal clear."

"What you wanted to say?"

"I love you," she declared as she reached out and grabbed his hands. "I am completely, irrevocably in love with you."

Finnick let out a loud breath as a wide smile overtook his face. He removed his hands from her grasp and held her face. "Do you know how long I've waited to hear those words?" He whispered as he tucked her hair behind her ears. "Taiya, I am head over heels in love with you. I always have..."

Taiya cut him off as she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him again. They hadn't had a proper, sober kiss since before she went into the arena. Those 8 months had seen significant changes in both of them. They were older, more mature.

In saying that, Finnick's hands moved lower down her back than they'd ever dared before. Taiya's fingers wrapped their way through Finnick's hair and pulled as she pushed her body up closer to him.

Stumbling back a few steps together, Taiya's back hit the wall and Finnick's hand gripped the back of her thigh when they heard a voice call out.

"Finnick? Taiya?"

Breaking away quickly from Finnick's lips she whipped her head around to look up the stairs. "Mags?" she yelled back.

Finnick nuzzled his nose into Taiya's neck, making her breath hitch, not at all deterred by their elderly neighbour having walked into their house.

"Taiya? Where are you darling?" Mags asked.

"We're in the basement, we're on our way up." Turning back to Finnick she had to push him off of her with a smirk. "Come on," she smiled, holding out her hand for him to take as they darted up the stairs.

"There you two are," Mags exclaimed. "Oh," she smiled as she spotted their joined hands. "I see."

"We were clearing out the basement. We're making it into a training room," Taiya explained.

"No need to explain my dear. I was young once as well," Mags waved her hand dismissively, making Finnick laugh.

"What can we do for you?" he asked his mentor kindly.

"I just came to let you know I have another box of fruit for you. It's at my house but I'm afraid I'm not quite up to carrying boxes anymore. These old hands don't have the strength," she smiled bashfully.

"I'll come help," Finnick agreed, releasing Taiya's hand and giving her a quick peck on the cheek before leaving with Mags.

As soon as he left a wide grin overtook Taiya's face. Finally, it felt like things were going right. Things were how they were meant to be.

The phone ringing interrupted her train of thought and she walked over to the phone to answer. "Hello?"

"Taiya?"

"Seneca," her eyes widened.

"Hey, sorry. You didn't answer at yours so I thought I'd call here," he paused awkwardly. "Is this a bad time?"

"No. No. Not at all." She knew she had to come up with a good reason for being at Finnick's. "This is kind of the hang-out spot for all of us victors anyway. We all hang out here during the day so if you can't get me at mine I'm probably here. Oh, hang on Seneca," she muttered quickly before pulling the phone away from her ear and yelling, "bye Todd, see you later!" She had to make it look like there were others there, and not just her and Finnick alone. "So, Seneca, what can I do for you?" she asked, placing the phone back to her ear.

"Well, I was just calling to let you know I managed to get a meeting with President Snow."

"President Snow?" she asked worriedly.

"Yeah, about your idea for a training room in the house."

"Oh my god of course! Seneca that's amazing! I can't believe you managed it. When's the meeting?"

"It was an hour ago."

"You managed to get a meeting with President Snow with two hours' notice?" Taiya gasped.

"I have a good amount of influence in the Capitol," he gloated. "He approved it. Anyway, he said to tell you he was proud of your efforts." Taiya's eyes widened. Seneca misconstrued Snow's comment as a compliment on her training desires. But she saw it for what it was. A reward for obeying, for striking up a friendship with Seneca Crane.

"That's so amazing. Thank you so much Seneca you're honestly the best."

"He said he'll get it all sent out to you. It should arrive in a couple of days."

The front door to the house opened and a laughing Finnick and Mags walked in.

"Oh hey, Mags, hey Finnick," Taiya greeted loudly. "Sorry, I'm going to have to go," she said to Seneca. "I'll call you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, we'll talk tomorrow."

"Ok bye, thank you so much again. I swear to god you're my favourite person," she said before hanging up the phone.

"Who was that?" Finnick asked as he placed the box down on the kitchen bench.

"Seneca Crane," Taiya muttered.

"Seneca Crane is calling for you here?" Finnick asked sullenly.

"Well I didn't answer at mine," Taiya answered awkwardly as she walked toward him and wrapped an arm around his waist. This reassured him and he quickly kissed the top of her head. "So what do we have in here Mags?" Taiya asked as she looked at the box.

"Oranges and apples," she smiled. "It's not much, it's not a good season for growing fruit."

"Well, we appreciate it nonetheless. Don't we Finnick?"

"Absolutely we do," Finnick agreed.

"Alright, well I'll leave you two," Mags smiled.

"I'll walk you out," Taiya volunteered as she pulled away from Finnick and walked Mags to the front door.

Before Mags walked out the door she turned to Taiya and smiled as she placed a hand on her cheek before turning and leaving.

"Where were we?" Taiya asked as she skipped back into the kitchen where Finnick was waiting for her.

"Hmm, let me think," he hummed as he wrapped his hands around her waist. "I think we were doing this," he smiled as he leaned down and kissed her.

"I think you're right," Taiya mumbled as she kissed him back.

"Oh. My. God!" a voice screeched and the two of them quickly pulled apart.

"Kenna?" Taiya gasped.

"No way," Kenna laughed.

"Seriously people just keep waltzing in here," Finnick grumbled as he released his hold on Taiya.

"I knew it! I so knew it!" Kenna yelled excitedly. "What did I tell you?" she asked Finnick. "I told you she was coming around."

Taiya raised her eyebrows and turned to look at Finnick.

"I was bummed out when you left without saying bye last night," he mumbled. "Kenna had some... opinions."

"Oh my god, Kenna!" Taiya gasped as she whipped her head around to look at her friend. Kenna had not held back on her opinions earlier in the day yesterday.

"What?" she asked. "I didn't tell him too much. I do respect girl talk you know, it's sacred," she rolled her eyes.

"You two were talking about me?" Finnick surmised as he puffed his chest out slightly.

"No," Taiya smirked at Kenna. "We were talking about Tyler."

"Shut up," Kenna gasped at Taiya's subtle threat.

"Tyler?" Finnick asked confusedly.

"Don't worry about it?" Taiya smiled at him. "What can we do for you, Ken?" Taiya asked.

"I just came to hang out and I'm very glad I did. I won the bet with Annie. She said you'd take another month before you hooked up with Fin."

"It's not hooking up, don't be vulgar," Taiya rolled her eyes before they widened. "Hang on. You had a bet with Annie?"

"Yeah," Kenna shrugged as she walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge. "Of course. Shark wanted in but we wouldn't let him."

"You guys can't bet on our relationship," Taiya protested.

"Why not? It's about the only entertainment around here since you stopped your random outbursts of rage," Kenna shrugged as she popped a handful of raspberries into her mouth.

"Kenna," Finnick sighed.

"Yeah?"

"Get out."

"Dude," Kenna whined. "I can't do that. You and Taiya need protection now."

"From what?" Taiya asked exasperatedly.

"Like birth control kind of protection."

"Oh my god!" Taiya and Finnick yelled.

"That's not what was happening here," Taiya gasped.

"Didn't look like that to me," Kenna smirked. "Hey, I'm all here for the Finnick/Taiya relationship. I've been part of the fan club since day one. But I don't want mini versions of you running around. You're both annoying enough as it is."

"Kenna, please stop talking," Taiya sighed.

Kenna smiled. "It's just so easy to get under your skin. You two are cute though. I'm here for it. Are you going to stop talking to that Capitol guy now?"

Taiya and Finnick both froze. Neither knew how to answer. Kenna couldn't know the truth of the deal either of them had with the Capitol. But Taiya was not in a position to cut off contact with Seneca.

"It's not like that," Taiya stuttered.

"You talk like twice a day."

"Just drop it, Ken," Taiya pleaded.

"I don't get it. I mean it's always been you and Finnick. Why even bother with some Capitol guy who you might only see if you have to mentor in the Capitol."

"Kenna," Taiya snapped. "I said drop it, ok."

"Wow, ok," she muttered. "Don't have to be so angry about it," she scowled. "You know what, I'm going to go. You guys enjoy your time together. Just don't be a two-timer Tay," she said quietly before she sulked out of the house.

As soon as she left Taiya groaned and dropped her head into her hands. "I should go apologise. She doesn't understand. How could she? That was too harsh."

"Maybe," Finnick admitted. "But she won't ask any more questions about it. That's not a bad thing you know."

Taiya sighed. "I guess not. I just don't want to fight with people anymore."

"I know," Finnick nodded as he pulled her in for a hug and kissed her head. "We both have to do things we don't want to do. They're different, sure. But they both suck. But that's separate. We can't let it blend into who we really are with each other. Who we are with them, it's not us, not Finnick and Taiya, the kids from District 4. It's Finnick and Taiya, Capitol darlings."

"Capitol darlings," Taiya repeated with a nod.

"So long as we don't let any of our own feelings blend into that, we'll be fine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 114 29
๐“๐‡๐„๐˜'๐‹๐‹ ๐‰๐”๐Œ๐ ๐Ž๐…๐… ๐“๐‡๐€๐“ ๐‹๐„๐ƒ๐†๐„ ๐“๐Ž๐†๐„๐“๐‡๐„๐‘. What District 2 victor, Saffron Creek, and prodigy, Finnick Odair, share is the v...
11K 301 28
The Hunger Games | Finnick Odair ----------- โDon't leave me, please don't leave me. Don't leave me alone.โž โI won't leave you Finnick,โž She kissed...
297K 5.8K 95
Querencia - a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self Talisa Moreno Winne...
124K 4K 44
"...the other Capitol Darling. Incredibly popular in the Capitol they love her here, she has been a favourite of many for years. Charismatic, charmin...