The Prince's Private Symphony

By demonlover07

Eloise Bridgeton is a facinating woman. She does not play by societal rules. But what happens when there's an... More

Season One
1. Diamond of the First Water
2. Shock and Delight
4. An Affair of Honor
5. The Duke and I
6. Swish
7. Oceans Apart
8. After the Rain
Season Two
1. Capital R Rake
2. Off to the Races
3. A Bee in Your Bonnet
4. Victory
5. Unthinkable Fate
6. The Choice
7. Harmony
Whoops
8. The Viscount Who Loved Me
Season Three

3. Art of the Swoon

519 14 0
By demonlover07

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week.

Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

"Daphne, have you thought about with whom you would like to dance at tonight's ball?" Mama asked.

"I have some ideas. Lord Weaver is a fine dancer," she says, pushing Benedict's feet off the chair and sitting next to him.

"Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night," Anthony told her. Didn't think that he wanted her married.

"Lord Hardy? What about the duke?"

"The duke has not proposed, Mama. I am still considering my best course," Daphne defends herself.

"Wise girl," Anthony compliments.

"And Lord Hardy is a fine option. Although, he is rather boastful," she detests.

"My dear, why ever do you complicate matters so? You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend," she tells her like it's the easiest thing in the world.

"Is that it, Mama? Well, how very simple indeed!"

"Yes, quite," mama laughs.

"Well, Eloise and I should be going," I tell them, getting up.

"And where is it you are going sisters?" Benedict asks.

"Ah, to Eleanor's violin practice, she goes to practice. I go to enjoy music and uninterrupted reading time," Eloise smiles. "Just as I do when she is baking or fencing, really whatever she's doing gives me the chance to read in silence."

"Or talk about her books," I say.

"That too," she laughs.

We both link arms as we head to my practice. I grab my violin from my room and we ride off downtown. "Mister Bonaparte," I nod to my playing partner.

"Miss Bridgerton," he nods back. "Miss Bridgerton," he nods to my sister. "Shall we begin? I wish to have some time to take you and your sister to lunch if I may. Don't worry, my younger brother will be there."

"I think we should very much like that Mister Bonaparte," I thank him and look to my sister.

"Oh, I don't care, thank you Alex, I am also quite enjoying the last book you gave me," she tells him, making me laugh.

"It is nice to exchange pleasantries, sister," I tell her with an eye roll and a teasing smile.

"Oh, please, pleasantries? You've stolen from half the ton and the other half you could reveal several scandals about, let alone being about to fight them before they even figure out which side of the blade is the one to point at the other person," she complains. "Now, I must get back to this book before I go insane." She walks to her seat as Alex and I set our violins on the stools.

"She's already insane if you ask me," Alex mutters.

"Alexzander!"

"What? It's true and you know it. Nevertheless, I love her like she's my own sister," he says.

"Ah yes, we should be known as the triplets shouldn't we, not the twins," I tease.

"Well, maybe not—"

"Ah, yes you do have that incredibly large fortune that you shall come into in Italy should your uncle and cousins die an untimely and unfortunate death," I laugh.

"I was thinking more that we should not consider ourselves siblings, more— friends," he suggests. "Music partners."

"Are you saying you think of my sister in a higher regard than that of myself?" I ask him, setting up our sheet music.

"Of course not, I merely," he takes a breath. "We are both coming of age soon and I think perhaps people would take it the wrong way. With Eloise she makes her feelings about marriage quite clear, you however ...."

"Don't talk in front of half the ton because they are bothersome and I would rather keep things to myself."

"Exactly. I also think it adds a bit of mystery to you," he grins.

"You know just like Penelope you're allowed at our house anytime. You've even been in the family room, I don't see how anyone could think of us potentially courting one another," I tell him, placing my violin on my shoulder.

"It will be a last resort if I become in certain need of a wife and you a husband," he agrees, placing his own too.

"1, 2, ready and—"

~

I turned and placed a pillow on top of my face. I was trying to drown out Eloise's snoring. Usually I sleep before her, but I needed to finish writing something so I stayed up a bit longer. Now I see what a mistake that was. Maybe I should just go down stairs and bake, that usually helps.

I sneak down stairs, noticing a couple of the lights still on, maybe a couple maids were awake. I come to the kitchen to find the lights on and my eldest brother and sister standing there with some milk. "Whatever are you two doing?" I ask them.

"Uh..." "um..." "Well–"

"We both couldn't sleep so we thought some warm milk might help, but turns out neither Anthony or I know how to work the stove," Daphne admits.

I giggle as I grab a glass and place it over the stove. I lit the stove allowing it to heat the milk before pouring some into three glasses. "What about you sister? Why are you awake at such a time?" Anthony asks, sipping his milk.

"Eloise's snoring, thought if I baked a little I could come back and the noise would die down," I laugh. They both chuckled.

"Can I ask you a question, Brother?" Daphne asked.

"So long as it has nothing to do with the inner workings of that thing. I'm displeased to say, but I've been bested by my younger sister," he says as I give him a smirk.

"Just let me fence with you and I'll crush your spirits so much that you will never dream of getting a wife," I tease him.

"It is about the duke," she confesses and I back away a little, not wanting to get in the middle.

"What about the duke?"

"Well Do you know the reason he is so opposed to marriage?"

"Daph–"

"He is your closest friend. Surely you must know things," she pries.

"The things I know are certainly not for your ears," he tells her.

"How foolish of me to ever even wonder about such things," she says, trying to shake it off.

"He barely knew his father. Never knew his mother. Not one sibling. The duke grew up quite differently than us, Daph. In all the 20 years I have known him, he has not mentioned his so-called family even once. He has spent his entire life alone," Anthony explains. How sad. I would be lonely. No matter if or if I don't marry, I will always have Eloise. If she never marries I will move her into my home and take care of her no matter of what my husband may think.

"How very sad," Daph comments.

"He prefers it that way. You must not concern yourself with his troubles. You must simply know some people are not meant to be together no matter how much we might wish otherwise."

"I see. Very well. Thank you, Brother, and sister,  for the milk," she nods to the both of us. "We will have to do this again sometime."

"So," I begin.

"Yes, Eleanor."

"Eloise and I know how children are made," I tell him quickly and he spits out his milk.

"However, were you told?" he asked.

"Her, Penelope, and I paid a maid with our pin money," I told him with a smile.

"No pin money for two weeks–"

"Anthony–"

"Do you want to make it a month?" He asked me.

I sigh and shake my head, "I just wanted to tell you that I am deeply disappointed to know that is where you chose to spend your time, with women— defiling them."

"Well, I'm not the only one," he defends.

"What?"

"Oh surely you know, since you and Eloise are so smart. Colin, Benedict, the Duke, almost all unmarried men have had a mistress or two," Anthony confesses.

My eyes widened, "including my friends?" I ask him.

"You don't have friends– unless you're meaning your violin partner," I nod and he laughs. "No, I do not believe he has engaged in such acts yet. Although, I wouldn't find it hard to believe if he had or will soon. Now I do not wish to speak of this with you anymore."

"Fine," I huffed. "What will come of Eloise and I in our season next year?"

"Well, that's up to the two of you, I will not force you to get married your first season, that is just what Daphne has taken upon herself of wanting. I will not be disappointed if neither of you are the diamond either, no matter how much mama might want it. Should either of you want it, I will take it upon myself with the help of Benedict to find you worthy suitors that you will have the option to tear down with words in the case of Eloise or by stealing from them and besting them in combat in your case if you do not like them," he says with a laugh.

I chuckle and smile at him, "thank you Anthony, now I do believe both of us should be getting to bed before mama should find us."

"Ah yes," he nods with a laugh. "Goodnight, sister."

"Goodnight, brother."

I have always thought that an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits. A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fraulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

"Quite dull, would you not agree?" Eloise asked us, looking at the painting above us.

"It is terribly familiar, yet I am sure this is the first time I have seen it."

"That is because, like all of these paintings, it was done by a man who sees a woman as a decorative object," Eloise says, looking disgusted.

"They are like–"

"Human vases."

"Precisely," I compliment Pen.

"I think my mama is calling me," she tells us and we look over to her mama who is with Miss Thompson.

"She is busy with Miss Thompson," El tells her.

"I will return shortly," she says, racing off to her mama.

"What is going on with her?" El asks me.

"I believe I know as much as you," I tell her.

"Oh, look there is our lovely friend," she says as Alex comes up to us.

"Mister Bonaparte," we address him at the same time.

"Miss Bridgerton, miss bridgerton, My it still surprises me every time you do that," he laughs.

"It surprises us too," Eloise laughs.

"Might I escort you two young ladies around? I have found some most spectacular pieces of art right around the corner," Alex says, offering both of us an arm. We both laugh before wrapping our arms around him. It seems some young men look with jealousy as Alex has two Bridgertons on his arm. He leads us around the corner to a hallway of which there are very few people.

"This is much better," Eloise compliments. "Less crowded."

"I have some news," he grins.

"Whatever could that be?" Eloise asks.

"I have secured a spot for Eleanor and I to perform with a few others at a ball in the coming days," Alex explains and both El and I hug him. "I also got a proposal to perform before the opera."

"Oh, I am so proud of you both. This will be the one and only ball I will go to willingly and perhaps even dance," Eloise teases. "Oh, and I will get Benedict to take me to the opera."

"Eloise? Dancing? I did not know those two words could even be in the same sentence without a will never in the middle," I laugh. "Thank you, Alex. This is a most surprising and amazing opportunity."

"Perhaps, we shall take you with us next year to promenade to get mama off our backs if she thinks that you could potentially court one of us or at least the ton," Eloise laughs.

"Oh, El, he's allowed in the family room, mama would never think that he would court one of us, the ton however, even Lady Whistledown would be very keen to see it."

These days, the modern young lady must display a miscellany of talents in her quest for a suitor. She must be a witty conversationalist, an accomplished musician, and an expert in the art of the swoon. For managing to faint with nary a petticoat out of place is a most coveted talent indeed. Of course, not everyone has fallen victim to the royal fever sweeping through London Town. One diamond in particular seems quite immune making this author wonder if the crown has lost its luster. I know what this insolent woman insinuates, and I shall certainly not make allowances for it.

"Oh! Enough! I beg of you," Eloise snaps as Daphne plays an off-key song.

"Perhaps you should join me. You will need to be proficient on the pianoforte soon enough. You could use the practice, I'm sure, you as well, Eleanor," Daphne says.

"On second thought, continue. You will frighten away the duke, the prince, and any other eligible suitor clear across the North Sea."

"And you would wish that upon me, would you, Sister?" Daphne asks as if she has just wished death upon her.

"If it kept Mama's attentions focused on you instead of me, I might," El offers. "Neither of us need it anyway, I've got my personality which should be enough and Len has got her violin and her not speaking to any suitors unless she deems them worthy of words or chastising."

"You can take your reading outside," Daphne snaps.

"You say that as if reading were a bad thing."

"I meant no such thing."

"But it won't gain me a husband? That what you meant?"

"Eloise..."

"You wish to follow your heart, and I wish to nurture my mind, and Eleanor and I both wish to build a life for ourselves outside of men telling us what we can and cannot do. Let us leave it there."

"Can you at least try to understand? You never see things from my perspective. You are not the only one with troubles, Eloise. You have no idea what it –It does not matter."

"Is it an original?" I ask her.

"What?"

"That song, did you compose it yourself?" Eloise clarifies.

"In a manner of speaking."

"What is the name of it?" I ask.

"It does not have a name."

"Every song has a name," El counters.

"It is just a song, Eloise," Daphne snaps again.

"If you need to practice, then do so. Just come up with a name for it, at least," El tells her. Daph turns around and smiles at her before beginning to play

~

"Oh, the funniest thing just happened," Eloise says, coming into our room and lying on my bed.

"And what should that be?" I ask her with a laugh.

"Benedict asked me if I was Lady Whistledown."

I laughed, "if either of us were Lady Whistledown it would be me, you can't keep a secret for the life of you."

"I can too. You just have no faith," she smiles.

"I have faith that if you were Lady Whistledown you would've told me, you may be able to keep a secret from the rest of the family, but not me," I tease her before blowing out my candle.

"Hey!"

~

"You finished. How lovely!" Mother complimented Daphne as she finally found an ending to her song.

"I do hope you have finally given it a name," Eloise teases.

"If you there to be a name so bad, you name it," I tell her.

She smirks as her and mother get up to leave to meet with one of her suitors.

"Do you think I should tell them?" I ask El.

"Tell them what?"

"About Alex and I's performance. I mean what if mama or Anthony don't approve?"

"Who cares if they do. They should want to be happy for you, you two are going to go and perform and it is going to be amazing," Eloise grins.

Humbolt enters the room and looks to us, "Mister Alexzander Bonaparte," he announces and Alex comes in with his violin.

"Whatever are you doing here Bonaparte?" Eloise questions.

"Well, since we have a performance tonight I thought we should practice today to get everything down," he tells her.

"In that case, I shall go to grab my violin," I smile at him before heading to my bedroom. I grab my case before heading back to the drawing room. I see him set up our sheet music on our stands and move to get in his place.

We started our set list and made it through three songs before we heard clapping, but it wasn't from Eloise. "That was beautiful," Colin grinned. "I didn't know you two could play so well."

"Thank you, brother," I smiled at him.

"They have a performance coming up tonight, they're opening the opera," Eloise brags.

Colin gasps, "No way, why haven't you told anyone?"

"I didn't know how Anthony and mama were going to take it. Violin is only suposed to be a hobby."

Colin scoffs, "It doesn't matter, I will make sure we're all there to see it, tonight."

"Thank you, mister Bridgerton," Alex nods.

"Oh screw titles Alex, you're practically our brother," Colin grins as he hugs the both of us.

~

I wore a beautiful purple dress to match with Alex. We weren't the only ones invited to open the opera, but we were the only violinists. Other than the ones in the pit for the actual opera pieces of course.

"I'm incredibly nervous," I admit to Alex backstage.

"I am too, but you know what we're here. We know what we're doing and we're going to have fun doing it," Alex grins.

I nod and breath in and out before they announce the opening act and we walk out with our violins.

Our fingers move across the strings as we play. I get lost in the moment as we go from one song to another and then another.

They clap for us as we finish and everyone does a little bow. We collect our things and walk off stage as others come and take our stands. I grin at Alex and hug him as we get backstage again. "That was incredialbe," I laugh.

"We were perfect," he agrees. I pack my violin back in it's case and we head out into the crowd. We both head to my family's box where we're met with Eloise giving the two of us hugs and the rest of the family smiling at us.

"You did wonderful, dears," mama compliments.

"Although, I am quite disheartened that you did not mention to us that you would be performing," Anthony looks at me.

"Well, we thought it would be better as a surprise," I tell them as we both sit down to enjoy the rest of the show.

~

It was quite a pain trying to get ready. I had to match everyone else and wear a navy blue dress and had to leave before any of my siblings so that I could get my instrument set up.

I've already been here for a few hours and we change songs once again and this time before we start playing I watch as my eldest sister walks down the stairs from the banister with grace and the prince approaches her.

"Miss Bridgerton, I simply must have your first dance," he tells her.

"It would be an honor, Your Highness." She bows before letting her fan slip from her hand. He bends down to get it before handing it back to her. She hands it to our mother and goes to join him for a dance. I feel someone bump my shoulder and see Alex holding his violin up and I shake my head as we start the song.

Could it be true? The season's diamond even more precious and rare a stone than previously thought? For it now appears this treasure is set to join the likes of the queen's ever-so-cherished crown jewels themselves.

I watch as my sister dances with the prince and I smile at how graceful she looks.

The Duke of Hastings, I hear, was left looking rather tongue-tied last night, as Miss Bridgerton seems to have finally grown tired of waiting for him to pose that all-important question.

Or, perhaps, the young miss has simply traded up. Surprising? Quite. Unreasonable? Of course not.

After all, why settle for a duke when one can have a prince?

— Lady Whistledown

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 44.5K 54
"𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒊𝒏, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐�...
6.6K 195 12
"My heart ached for her when she wasn't near, but it skipped a beat when I saw her." It is Elizabeth Johnston's second debutante, she finds it press...
145K 3.5K 36
Lady Carina Eliza Grey. The only daughter of the Earl, Charles Grey and the deceased Countess, Elizabeth Grey. Viscount Anthony Bridgerton. The elde...
1.1M 31.4K 56
It is said that second-born sons have all the fun. This much is certainly true for Benedict Bridgerton, free from the burdens held by his eldest brot...