Gamble of Wits || Finnick Oda...

By Sylerisya

The 'Flower of Panem' or 'The Angel of Mercy', Seraphine Reza is the jewel and pride of Panem. One of their m... More

Chapter 1: Game of Survival
Chapter 2: Fight or Flight
Chapter 3: Blood in the Snow
Chapter 4: Hollow Crown
Chapter 5: Wild Roses
Chapter 6: Broken Promises
Chapter 7: Idol Worship
Chapter 8: Ghosts in the night
Chapter 9: No Place Like Home
Chapter 10: From The Outside
Chapter 11: Snakes and Rats
Chapter 12: Empty Words
Chapter 13: Angel of Mercy
Chapter 14: Distance
Chapter 15: Push and Pull
Chapter 16: Plan For Victory
Chapter 17: The Gamemaker
Chapter 18: Valley of The Dolls
Chapter 19: Walls Could Talk
Chapter 20: Piece By Piece
Chapter 21: To Win and To Lose
Chapter 22: Between the Lines
Chapter 23: The Tragedy of Nero
Chapter 24: Burning Skies
Chapter 25: Writing's On The Wall
Chapter 26: Soft To Be Strong
Chapter 27: Fleeting Moments of Happiness
Chapter 28: The Collector
Chapter 29: Deep End
Chapter 30: Alone Together
Chapter 31: Sink or Swim
Chapter 32: Choices
Chapter 33: Turning Point
Chapter 34: One Step Forward, Three Steps Back
Chapter 35: Today's Friend, Tomorrow's Enemy
Chapter 36: Damnatio Memoriae
Chapter 37: Mourn and Move On
Chapter 39: Pulling Strings
Chapter 40: In a Crowd of Thousands
Chapter 41: Outrunning Karma
Chapter 42: Heart's Grave
Chapter 43: Walk the Line
Chapter 44: Person of Interest
Chapter 45: Marionette
Chapter 46: Power and Control
Chapter 47: The Moon and The Sea
Chapter 48: Pieces in Place
Chapter 49: Half-truths and Regrets
Chapter 50: Fatal Feelings
Chapter 51: Illusion of Choice
Chapter 52: Set the Board
Chapter 53: Clean
Chapter 54: The First Spark
Chapter 55: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 56: Fools' Paradise
Chapter 57: Cruel to be Kind
Chapter 58: The Candle and The Coin
Chapter 59: Enemy of my enemy
Chapter 60: Trust
Chapter 61: False Victories
Chapter 62: The Girl in Blue
Chapter 63: Gathering Pawns
Chapter 64: The Last Parade
Chapter 65: Apologies and Eulogies
Chapter 66: The Truth in Lies

Chapter 38: Scars That Never Fade

1.6K 83 65
By Sylerisya

"Got everything you need?" Talissa asked as she poked her head into her bedroom. Her older sister smiled awkwardly as her daughter played with a necklace around her neck. "I know this is asking too much but..."

"Lissa." Sera began and her sister sighed while her niece laughed at her mother's expression. "You always ask me this and the answer never changes."

"I know that but can't you at least try. Everyone knows about your condition-didn't Porter get exempted from mentoring because of her injury? And Leora was exempted too."

Sera sighed. "Leora was exempted. She went back two years ago, remember?" Talissa nodded. Her daughter reached for Sera with a bright smile and Sera waved at her niece. "It's fine. I'll live, Uriel's funeral was weeks ago and I've been okay since then. It was just a one-off thing."

Her niece clearly didn't think so as she made a sound of disapproval, catching Sera off-guard.

Rosy's cheeks and brown wide eyes with a short mess of dark curls inherited from her father, Dia Foret looked up at Sera with big eyes that seemed to take up her whole face. Her doll-like gaze held so much warmth that it made Sera falter in her steps but still she smiled brightly and pinched Dia's rosy cheeks before lovingly patting her head.

Somehow, everytime Sera looked at Dia or Talissa, she couldn't help but feel a little bitter and green. It was irrational and she knew it well enough but still somehow the bitterness seeped through and she had to turn away from them. She was happy for her family. Really. She was happy. This was what she wanted.

It was almost bittersweet for her. She felt happy that her little family was growing but at the same time, she felt bitter.

The whole world had moved on and found something to be happy about and seeing her siblings and Clarisse, she felt the change. Her heart felt hollow whenever she thought about it, she was the only one who stayed right where she had started.

Everyone she loved found happiness, everyone but her and she couldn't help it.

The bitterness in her heart bubbled and burned her worse than any poison ever could. She hated it. She hated herself more than she hated anyone else. She worked so hard to make everyone she loved happy but she was so unhappy that she felt like dying.

Her aunt had made her promise to be happy as a dying wish and she had broken that promise without thinking, pushing away the one person that might've made her happy. It was her own fault and she hated herself for it but there was no point thinking about useless things.

"Be good to your mother." Sera whispered with a soft fond smile that looked almost foreign on her cold face. "Don't stay up too late playing with your brother, okay?"

Dia shut her eyes and giggled innocently in response. Her rosy cheeks became redder as she made an attempt to grab her aunt and keep her from leaving.

Her mother made a face and gently tried to remove her from her aunt. "No Dia, don't. Auntie Sera has to go, she's late." Her sister tried her best to coax her daughter, only for Dia to look up at her mother with fierce teary eyes. Talissa was weak to her daughter's tantrums, something Sera found amusing. "Dia..."

Sera rolled her eyes and leaned in, gently one by one, she removed her niece's tiny hands away from her. Still Dia attempted to reach for her, she stretched out her small arms and looked up at her aunt with big eyes. "No Dia, I can't take you with me.." Dia only pouted in response. "Dia..."

Her niece stopped before slumping down and hugging her mother tight. "Really wonder who she takes after." Talissa said as she patted her daughter's back trying to lull her to sleep. "Faro wasn't this difficult."

"I'm pretty sure Dia takes after you since Faro takes after Huxley, he even looks a lot like him."

It wasn't really wrong to think that Faro Foret, Huxley and Talissa's eldest, wasn't a younger copy of his father. He looked so much like his father that often Sera and Ramiel joked about it, much to Talissa's dismay. His appearance wasn't the only thing similar to his father, his calm focus on his surroundings and the way he even approached other people were quite similar to Huxley.

"I'm not this clingy." Sera only hummed in response. Her sister wasn't clingy but just loved to coddle her younger siblings. "Did you take your meds with you?" Talissa asked, changing the topic.

"Yes. I did. I also have a check up scheduled three days after my arrival at the Capitol at the Iaso Emley clinic." As she spoke, Sera checked the time again. She didn't have long, she needed to be at the train station by now or at least before the tributes left the Justice Building. "Look I'll write you a letter and call, don't worry I'll be fine. I'm fine now aren't I?"

Talissa sighed and lowered her voice as Dia shut her eyes, her head falling on her mother's shoulders. "But you weren't so fine at Uriel's funeral. Sera, have you thought about reconsidering about the operation-"

"No and I'll be fine. The last thing I need is to be indebted to anyone." Sera said. A shadow towered over Talissa and Sera stiffened. "Lennox." She greeted cooly, nodding her head before turning away to pick up her luggage.

"I can-" Nox began but Sera ignored him, moving past him.

With a sigh, Talissa left the room. She never liked to stick around for long whenever Sera or Nox were in the same room. The two who were once inseparable had grown further and further apart. Aunt Dahlia's death had created a cut so deep that it never fully healed.

Sera partly blamed herself but she made no move to mend the cut, allowing it to bleed and fester for years. She didn't turn around and look at him again, hurrying to the car where Zephyr was already waiting alongside a few Peacekeepers.

The ride to the train station was silent. Zephyr didn't say a word either. He appeared exhausted. Dark bags marred his tanned skin and his eyes were red like he hadn't slept in years. He caught Sera's inquisitive gaze and simply shook his head before burying his head into his hands.

When the two reached the station, Zephyr didn't even wait for the Peacekeepers to open the doors of the car. He was already out and almost rushing towards the train, ignoring any and all reporters.

Sera breathed out tiredly and plastered on a tight smile before waving at some of the reporters and then heading inside the train. At least, the reporters that were in Five weren't as bad as those in the Capitol who often heckled and jeered at her. Whenever she saw those Capitolites, she had the urge to pick up her blades once more and throw them at them. Her disdain and disgust over those Capitolites never did go away despite her numerous attempts to be neutral towards them, she just couldn't do it.

She didn't let her smile drop until she was already inside the train and safely inside Five's own carriage. From inside, turned the windows dark and let her smile fall. It really was tiring to be kind.

Across from her, Zephyr sat with his head turned up to the ceiling. His eyes were shut but he was still awake. "What's up with you?" Sera began, leaning back into her seat as she motioned for an avox. "You've been out of it since the morning."

The avox returned and slowly started to place various pastries, sandwiches and other foods alongside a tea set, some plates and cutlery. With a quiet bow, the avox backed away and left the carriage. Sera picked up the teapot and glanced at the time again. She poured boiling water into four teacups and steeped chamomile tea into hers and Zephyr. For the other two teacups, she chose to steep lavender tea and left it in front of their seats.

Zephyr exhaled loudly and sprang back to life. He sat up, clasped his hands together before glancing at the clock and reaching for his teacup. "I was at the Capitol till two in the morning. Took a train back at three just for the stupid Reaping and also if that wasn't enough, I have a meeting with the Seneca Crane tomorrow."

Sera made a face and took a sip of her drink. "Sounds rough. I've been avoiding Crane like the plague. He keeps bugging me to have dinner with him, as if having Scarus following me around like a lost dog wasn't enough."

Zephyr snorted quietly, the tea almost spilling from his cup. "A flower really does attract insects and the flower of Panem is no different." Sera narrowed her eyes on Zephyr with a stiff smile who only ignored her by sipping on some tea. "Ah. Nothing like some fresh flower tea-"

"Chamomile."

"All flowers are the same."

"You're infuriating."

"And you tolerate me."

"For now." She put down the cup and glanced at the clock again. "Did you at least get a good look at the tributes? It'd be nice if one was...suitable for the 'purpose'."

Almost as he was her mirror, he did the same and opened the book to a random page. "Does it matter? They're gonna die anyway. Now if they live, that's another story."

"Zephyr." Sera calmly called out his name but her tone was anything but calm. The air in the carriage grew colder as she turned a page. "Show some humility. We were like them once and who knows, maybe we might share their fate again so...be nice."

Zephyr laughed before he became still. His smile faded and his eyes grew colder. Subtly, he glanced to his sides and leaned over. He opened his mouth to say something but quickly shut it when Sera gave him a look.

Quiet muffled footsteps could be heard outside of their carriage. Both Sera and Zephyr made a face before Sera muttered. "They're here." Just as those words left her mouth, the double doors of the carriage slid open.

A party of three came through the door. A boy and a girl escorted by a stick-like man with sunset orange hair and matching lids and lips. The orange against his pale skin stood out boldly despite the man's timid nature. His pale blue and violet suit with metallic buttons almost looked comical to Sera and she stifled her laughter by focusing on the two behind him.

For a moment, nobody said a word. Both Sera and Zephyr leaned back to observe the two tributes. The boy with his tanned skin, straight dark hair and dark eyes looked like the many from the Slog. There was nothing special about his appearance that stood out to her. The amount of sponsorships he'd get wouldn't be much and his chances were low just based on his looks.

Sera almost thought he was from the Slog or the Hollow. Almost. But the distinct shine in his hair and skin and the way his hands seemed soft and unmarred gave it away that the boy was obviously not from either the Hollow or the Slog. His chances of survival seemed to get lower and lower with each glance.

The boy was not going to survive for long in the arena.

"Fifth or sixth." She muttered under her breath, noting it down in her mind.

"He wouldn't make it past the bloodbath."

If the boy was lucky, he'd survive the bloodbath but it was a generous thought.

"You're from the Lux." Zephyr decided to verbalize his thoughts much to Sera's annoyance. She kept quiet and smiled apologetically at the boy who nervously tried to smile back. He wasn't going to make it. "You're from the Lux, right?" Zephyr repeated.

The boy shakily nodded as he took his seat next to his already seated partner. His partner appeared calmer than him. The girl wasn't paying attention to the escort or her mentors. She seemed far too busy observing her surroundings and examining it to even care about her partner.

"Y-yes..." The boy stammered out, scratching the nape of his neck as his cheeks lit up in embarrassment.

"There's nothing to be embarrassed about..." Sera began, looking over at the timid escort. She breathed in sharply and almost wanted to curse at the escort for his behavior. "Creon." She called out to him, interrupting the escort.

Creon looked up from his journal with wide eyes like a deer caught in the headlight. "S-Seraphine." He stuttered out as a light dusting of pink coated his pale freckled face. His dull green eyes looked up at her in embarrassment. "C-can I help you?"

Sera exhaled loudly in disappointment and propped up a smile to hide her true feelings. It was times like this that she desperately missed the old escort of Five, Emilia Merchant. It had been years since Emilia stepped down and Creon had stepped up. The timid escort was possibly the worst escort any of the districts had. He was quiet, polite and kind, not like Emilia who was loud, brash and had little kindness but a lot of honesty.

Creon barely ever spoke and he barely interacted with Sera. She had only heard complaints of the not-new escort from Estelle, Wells and Leora but had never really spoken to him. She never had the chance as she wasn't chosen to be a mentor since Emilia stepped down in post-70th.

But somehow looking at Creon's trembling form, she realized she hadn't missed much.

"Do you..." Sera eyed the small journal in his hands. "Mind putting that down for a second and taking part in the introductions? I know you've never worked with me and Zephyr before but it would be really nice if we could at least do the introductions."

Embarrassed, Creon nodded and shakily put his journal and pen away. Looking at him, Sera wanted to tell the man that he might be in the wrong occupation. She'd never seen such a nervous escort. Had it not been for his gaudy appearance, she'd mistake him as the tribute not the two children from Five.

Then again, the boy from Five was equally if not more anxious than him. It was the girl who seemed eerily calm.

Sera subtly turned her head to look at the girl who had sat quietly watching the table. She didn't even reach for any of the food or drinks on the table. Her gaze was always on the people, occasionally looking away to check her surroundings.

Oh.

The corners of Sera's lips turned up, her cool gaze settled on the red-haired girl. While the girl observed the interactions between Zephyr, Creon and her own partner. Sera watched the girl, taking in her appearance and countenance.

Short round face, small pointed chin, pouty lips and a sharp nose with distinct big amber eyes slightly tapered upwards that were focused on her surroundings and straight red hair that made her stand out from the crowd. She looked almost cat-like.

"Faline." The girl introduced, noticing Sera's gaze on her. "I'm Faline Griswold."

Ah. That's why she looked a little familiar.

Griswold.

Sera nodded sadly hearing her family name. Griswolds. She knew that family, a family of florists and they often did business with her late aunt. She'd seen the little boys in the family often drop by at the flower shop but she didn't recall ever seeing Faline.

As if Faline had read her mind, she said. "It's better if you don't remember me, it'll be easier that way."

"Easier?" Faline nodded. "How so?"

"It just is." The cool detached look in Faline's amber eyes was a familiar one.

For a few seconds, she could've sworn that she was looking in the mirror of the past but the moment she blinked, the reflection disappeared and Faline was where she should've been.

"Hmm." Sera leaned back into her seat and silently observed the girl before asking. "I don't think I've ever seen you around." She said, changing the subject.

"I hardly ever ventured out of the Foxhalo. My brothers were usually the ones running errands, I learned to manage the books and the shop or what's left of it." Faline's face darkened and she sighed.

Sera reached out and almost patted the girl's head but instead pushed the still warm teacup towards the tribute. "I'm sure business will get better soon."

"It won't." Faline curtly replied, looking up from her own teacup. "Lavender tea?" She asked without even taking a sip. "Good choice."

"It's familiar and helps people relax."

"I know." Faline's answers were short and curt as if she didn't really care about anything. Yet the way her lips curled into a smile looking at the floral tea made Sera think otherwise. "It would've been nice if my family could've learned a thing or two from yours and opened up an apothecary on the side."

The boy laughed nervously as if he was afraid about being left out. "B-but the Griswold's ar-were wealthier than the Reza-Fairburns. Your family is doing well, you guys have a shop at Foxhalo."

"And?" Faline coldly asked as her grip on the delicate tea cup tightened. "What does that mean?"

"It means...it means...."

Zephyr made a loud noise, cutting the boy off. He leaned back into his seat and threw his head back before rubbing his eyes. "You don't know a thing and you're going on and on. I'd suggest drinking your tea and shutting up."

Faline nodded in thanks to Zephyr and Sera could only watch before turning to Creon. The timid escort rubbed his hands together with a fearful look on his face.

Sera needed to change the topic. "Has Creon introduced himself or us yet?"

Faline and her partner shook their heads and Sera nodded before glancing over at Zephyr who had his eyes shut but was obviously still awake. She really did miss Emilia.

Pulling up her chair, she sat up and plastered her plastic smile that she wore during her job. "Well, let's start from the beginning. As you may know or not-I'm not gonna judge if you don't remember the games." She would absolutely judge them. Knowing the past games always gave a tribute an advantage of their own games. "I'm Seraphine Reza, victor of the 68th Games. This-" She pointed at Zephyr who briefly sat up and opened his eyes to finish his tea. "Is Zephyr Nikolas, victor of the 69th Games-"

"You mentored him." The boy interrupted her.

Sera hated being interrupted. "Yes." She said with a laugh. "I did mentor him. It was my first time as a mentor and Zephyr came out ali-as the winner. Moving on. This is Creon." She pointed to the human sunset sitting next in-between her and Zephyr. "He's...new. Well, fairly new. This is actually my first meeting with Creon as well."

"H-hello." Creon shakily greeted before bowing his head. Colored sweat beads rolled down his face. "I-I'm your escort."

"Creon." Zephyr said his name like he was about to burst into a fit of laughter. "Creon. Relax."

"Moving on." Sera repeated, sparing poor Creon from Zephyr's torment. "Faline was kind enough to take the first step but I never caught your name-I'm sorry I wasn't really focused during the Reaping." The boy was already doomed so what was the point in trading names for a boy who would just be another number.

"Celsi. I'm Celsi Arnolds?" Celsi introduced himself with furrowed brows and his head tilted to the side.

"Why do you sound so confused?" Zephyr questioned, glancing over to Sera to check if she was seeing what he was.

"I-I'm not." Celsi stuttered out. "I'm just nervous."

Sera nodded along. It would be strange not to be scared or nervous after being reaped. Though she and Zephyr were one of the few exceptions from District 5's tributes. Those two had given up the moment their names were called and it seemed those two were not alone in that regard as Sera turned to look at the quiet and observant Faline.

The cat-like girl seemed busy munching on some pastries but the way her head lifted every time someone spoke told her enough. Faline was listening to them.

"Zephyr." Sera quietly warned her fellow mentor before taking the last sip of her tea. "Leave Creon and Celsi alone." She said, just quiet enough for him to hear.

Zephyr sighed loudly and threw his head back before looking over at her. Sera turned away, not in the mood to entertain him. Her throbbing arm and the dull ache in her chest took half of her attention while the rest were spent on observing the tributes.

"So should we come up with a plan?" Celsi began, trying his best to break the quietness.

Sera and Zephyr looked up as Creon clapped his hands together in an attempt to take part. "W-wonderful idea! Why don't we begin first with which mentor will mentor whom." He suggested.

"Do we get to choose?" Faline asked quietly as she picked up a knife.

The knife nearly fell out of her hands but she quickly caught it without even looking. She grabbed a scone and sliced it in half with one quick swipe. With quick and delicate movements, she spread some strawberry jam on it before folding it.

"You're quick." Sera noted. Faline froze before slowly nodding.

Even Zephyr seemed a little impressed with how quick Faline moved. Creon just nodded along, trying his best not to meet the eyes of either tributes.

Celsi's brows furrowed and he looked down at his hands. "W-well, I'm good with a bow." He jumped in. His eyes were wide with hope as glanced around the table, hoping either Sera or Zephyr would take some interest in him. "I-I've done a little archery."

"Is that so?" Sera mused. She glanced at his unblemished and almost soft hands while nodding. "How little is little?" She asked with a polite and friendly smile.

"Ah. Well, it's just something I did as a hobby."

"It's still something. You shouldn't feel bad."

"I-I used to practice during the weekends."

"Is that so..." Sera glanced over at Zephyr who was forcing himself to stay awake, barely keeping his eye open. "Sounds...promising."

Zephyr rubbed his eyes roughly and yawned before standing up to stretch his legs. "How quick is your reaction time?" He asked.

Celsi jumped up in his seat. His face twisted in confusion. "My...reaction time?" He echoed back.

"It's how quickly you can react to a situation." Faline said calmly while staring out the window.

"Ah. Thanks Faline." She nodded in thanks, not even bothering to turn around. Her focus was on the passing trees and shrubs the train went past. "I'm not sure how quickly I can react."

"Let's test it out then!" Zephyr clapped his hands excitedly and walked off but not before grabbing a butter knife from the table. He grinned at Sera with a mischievous glint in his eyes and all but skipped to the other side of the shared sitting area.

But the doors slid open interrupting them and Zephyr promptly dropped the knife in his hand. Sera stiffened, quickly plastering on a smile before sitting up and closing her book.

"Consul Redcliff." Creon greeted standing up. "It is an honor-"

"Consul, what brought you here this evening?" Sera cut Creon off and lazily looked up at her former guard.

Her former guard's gaze trembled and he clenched his jaws before looking away. Though he hadn't been Sera's guard for years, he still found a way to follow her wherever she went. She was never really free from him.

"I have a message." Scarus said, removing his hood and taking off his long black summer coat. He passed it to a Peacekeeper next to him before running fingers through his long blood-red hair that he had loosely tied. His scarred face looked down on Sera, motioning towards the door. "Do you mind?"

Sera wanted to scoff. Since when did he ever care for what she wanted. She could hardly blame him. No one really cared for what she thought or wanted.

With a quick glance at Zephyr who had sobered up, Sera got up, making sure she had her ticket with her and led Scarus out of their carriage.

Scarus stopped behind her in front of the doors. "It would be better if we went to your room-"

"No." Sera cut him off and unlocked the doors. "I don't like talking about business where I sleep, it messes up with my sleep later."

The doors slid open and she walked into the empty halls. With a quiet sound, the doors locked behind her, leaving her alone with Scarus in the desolate halls. Sera didn't bother to turn around and look at him, she kept her gaze on the window.

"Hmm. We...can talk about something else." He leaned down and whispered, his lips brushing against her ears as his arm tried to circle her waist. His other hand grabbed her sleeved arm that hid the bandages.

Pain shot through her arm and she breathed out harshly trying to keep herself from crying out. In the reflection of the windows, she could see Scarus. His eyes burning with desire and his lips moistened. Her stomach churned and she felt sick. If the pain wasn't so distracting, she'd actually throw up.

"I'd like to keep things professional Icarus." She muttered, harshly removing his hands off of her and turning around to look at him with a dull blank gaze that made him stiffen and let out a cold laugh.

"Of course. As always."

"Thank you so much for understanding." Scarus' face was stiff and his gaze cold as he nodded. "Now, what was it that you had to tell me?"

Scarus reached out into his pocket and dug out a letter. He held out the letter for Sera and waited patiently for her to take it. When she reached out, his hands lingered on hers before she pulled out the envelope from his grasp.

With a sigh, he walked to stand by her side and she took a step back. His jaws clenched and he looked away. She never liked standing next to him, always behind or ahead but never next to him.

Sera quietly read out the letter and handed it back to Scarus who without a word took out a lighter. He set the letter aflame right in front of her eyes and the two watched as the flames quickly ate away the paper before disappearing into a puff of smoke and ashes.

"I see I'll be busier this season." She stated, recalling the contents of the letter.

President Snow was suspecting the victors of treason, she was fortunately not included on the list.

Her efforts paid off. She spent the past few years meticulously crafting the perfect image of a loyal pawn for the President. Purposely hindering many of her almost-friends just to keep her head above water. She did everything and more to keep her place beside the President as the 'Flower of Panem'.

She did it all just to keep her loved ones happy and safe even if it meant she'd be miserable and alone.

"All in the name of Panem." Said Scarus with a patriotic tone.

"Of course, Panem is the only thing that matters. President Snow is already as generous as he can be with me." She recited like she did a hundred times before but she was momentarily distracted when she spotted a shadow moving in the corner of her eyes.

She tilted her head and loosened her hair tie before taking it off. All the while, her focus stayed on the moving shadow..

"...I heard you turned down the surgery." Scarus said, trying to bring his attention back to him.

Unfortunately for her, he succeeded and she turned on her feet to look at him. The sky changed as she did and the setting sun behind him bathed him in shades fiery red, orange and blue as if he was engulfed in flames.

The image of it made her smile.

"I did." She answered after a brief moment of silence. "I didn't think I needed it."

He breathed out sharply and turned away from her. Even without the redness from the setting sun, she could see his ears and cheeks turn a light shade of red in rage.

Perhaps, he cared enough about her to not let her see his rage or perhaps it was something else but when he turned around, it was gone except for the fire in gold-amber eyes that reminded her so much of a beast.

"Why?" He croaked out. "Why did you turn it down? You need it. Your health-"

"I know about my health best but thank you for your concern." She said curtly, wanting to end the conversation and go back. "If there's nothing else, do you mind if-"

Scarus said nothing and she took that as a signal to leave. She only took a few steps away from him before he caught her by her sleeved arm again and spun her around to face him.

She bit the bottom of her lips to stifle the scream that almost escaped her and swallowed before looking up at the former guard. "Consul?" She asked. "What is it?"

"It's Sc-Icarus. You don't have to call me Consul."

She laughed, throwing her head back while trying to get away from his arms. The shadow in the corner of her eyes moved once more and she was distracted again. "But you're a Consul. It'd be disrespectful to call you by your name." She said but her attention was elsewhere.

The shadow moved before becoming still once more and she felt the heavy gaze of someone or something.

A spark of interest was lit in her eyes and the corners of lips turned up into a subtle grin.

There was someone watching her.

"I'll give you permission to call me by my name."

She nodded absentmindedly. "Thank you for your generosity but Consul..." Scarus flinched. "It'll be disrespectful. Your father is the current Minister of Security, who am I to disregard that."

His gaze trembled, his grip slackened on her arm. She took that as an opportunity to get out his arms, leaving him there standing and staring at him

But she wasn't looking at him. She was turned away from him, looking down a dimly lit hall that he was sure led to the District 4 carriage.

"You're Seraphine Reza..." He breathed out.

"I am, aren't I?" She answered with a coy smile and a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Before Scarus could continue their conversation, his communicator went off and he was called away. He tried to insist on taking her back but she won and she stayed out in the hall, taking a moment to recover from the strain he had put on her injured arm.

The sun was almost gone behind the hills the train was passing by. Halls of the train were bathed into its glimmering red and orange lights.

She stayed by the window just staring at the sun. Only turning away to look at where the shadow was and for a brief moment, she swore she saw a flash of bronze but it was gone when the rays of the setting sun hit her eyes, blinding her momentarily.

When her vision came back, there was nothing. The only shadow that greeted her was her own in the dim hall so she turned away and went back in.

Creon was the only one who was there when she returned. The timid escort bowed over his journal scribbling away his thoughts with a light smile on his face. He looked more approachable and friendly that way.

"Where's everyone?" Creon jumped hearing Sera's voice and shakily pointed towards the small corridor which led to the bedrooms. "Did you all have dinner?"

"W-we left you some." Creon stuttered out, not meeting her gaze.

Sera nodded. "Can someone bring it to my room instead?" She asked an avox, already walking away from Creon who just stood there.

An avox with dark hair and blue eyes hurriedly moved to pack up a cart with her dinner before taking it to her room. She reminded Sera of a doll.

A pity what happened to her.

Sera thought as she led the way and politely smiled at the avox after she dropped off her food. "Thank you." She said quietly, surprising the avox.

She was meant to ignore their presence and treat them like air but she never did, at least not when she was in private.

The stunned avox bowed and rushed out of her room.

Sera waited for a few seconds before closing the door and locking it. The cart of food stared at her from the corner of the room but she turned away. Her appetite wasn't there but she had no intention to go to bed on an empty stomach, she never did. Her aunt, even if she wasn't there anymore, would be so disappointed if she did.

Crossing the room, her hands gripped the curtains of the windows tight. She wanted to close them and plunge the room into temporary darkness but oddly, she hesitated.

"How many sunsets do you think I'll see?" Her aunt's voice in the distance made her stop.

"Not enough." Sera muttered to no one but herself before closing the curtains and plunging the room into a temporary darkness.

She should've turned the lights on immediately but she sat there in the dark for a moment before crossing the room to turn the lights on.

The first thing her eyes landed on in the bright room was her own reflection. She walked right up to the mirror. Her hand reached for the surface as she tried to dig her nails into the glass.

She looked perfect as always.

Dressed in a slate blue flowy pants and a silk one-sleeved printed floral voile blouse. Navy heels on her feet which ached. She kicked the heels off and placed them neatly next to the mirror.

A light dusting of pale coral blush on her face and a thin line of black lined her eyes while her lips were painted a shade of dusty rose. Her long black hair was tied up and out of her face. She always had the urge to cut it off again since it grew past her shoulders but Harp would always convince her out of it.

What even was the point?

It wasn't like she was going back to the arena or taking part in a fight.

She looked perfect.

Well, almost perfect.

Her right arm was still covered under a thick bandage hidden away by her one-sleeved blouse.

With a pained sigh, she withdrew and hooked her arm behind her back to pull the hook behind her blouse. She unhooked the blouse and pulled her sleeved arm from its cover to reveal the bandaged arm.

Her bandaged arm looked grim. At least, it looked less bloody than the night before. She had been doing a job of taking care of her wounds and making sure she didn't scar herself.

Slowly she unraveled away the bandages. With each turn, her face paled and the scent of blood started to spread.

The bandages slipped away and Sera stiffened. She sucked in a pained breath as she examined her right arm.

Festering wounds from various poisons dotted her arm. Patches of her skin had turned gray, blue or green. Little chunks of flesh were exposed turned white or scabs had formed over some wounds. Some wounds looked like burn marks and some appeared as if her skin had been almost ripped off.

"The antidotes are working well." Sera mumbled under her breath, unfazed by the plethora of poison wounds on her arm. She was used to it by now. "I just need to change the dosage for some of the others and test out the bellora. I'll try it on my arm first and then..."

Ah.

The bellora had yet to even grow. It had only sprouted its roots. It'd take her a while before she could fully test out its poison completely but for now, she'd make do with what she had.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 32 17
The revolution has passed, its been years. Victors are finally recovering but now Snow's granddaughter has inherited his power, and done the worst im...
436K 5.5K 32
As you wander along the 13 districts of Panem and the Capitol, whether reliving your favourite moments of the Hunger Games or simply living among the...
8.2K 242 18
Rosewyn Snow had been raised to lead. Her view of the great country of Panem had never altered; her mind had a clear image of what the government sto...
99.4K 5.2K 22
Make sure you kiss your knuckles before you punch me in the face. CATCHING FIRE / oc x oc © 𝖆𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖔𝖒𝖘