By My Side

By CourtesyTrefflin

Ahsoka left the Order, and part of him went with her. After Anakin dies only weeks later, he thought it would... More

Chapter 1 - Where it all Started
Chapter 2 - Discoveries
Chapter 3 - Realizations
Chapter 4 - Decisions
Chapter 5 - Battle of Teth
Chapter 6 - To Defeat a Sith Lord
Chapter 7 - Moments Like These
Chapter 8 - Admissions
Chapter 9 - Visions and Truths
Chapter 10 - Adjusting
Chapter 11 - Amorrut
Chapter 12 - Struggles
Chapter 13 - Back on Coruscant
Chapter 14 - The Malevolence
Chapter 16 - Denial
Chapter 17 - Unexpected Allies
Chapter 18 - Searching
Chapter 19 - Of Existential Crises
Chapter 20 - Sidious
Chapter 21 - Memories
Chapter 22 - Breaking
Chapter 23 - Ahsoka
Chapter 24 - Gunray
Chapter 25 - Plans
Chapter 26 - Complications
Chapter 27 - Mustafar
Chapter 28 - This Ends Today
Chapter 29 - Crashing
Chapter 30 - Downward
Chapter 31 - Hope
Chapter 32 - Answers
Chapter 33 - Interlude
Chapter 34 - Reunions
Chapter 35 - Conclusion

Chapter 15 - The Unexpected

134 7 4
By CourtesyTrefflin

He's had worse plans, but Anakin can't quite say he's been in worse situations. The fight breaks out the moment the droids make it through the door. Anakin Force-shoves the door back, crushing the droids beyond, and the clones throw a bomb out just to cause chaos and (hopefully) cloak their escape by filling the area with smoke. The droids shouldn't notice.

They would have made it farther if Grievous hadn't stalked into the hangar right when he did, two lightsabers in his hands. "Stick to the plan," Anakin calls to Ahsoka, as he moves towards the cyborg, "And don't look back." The words are an echo of another time, another person, and he can only hope Ahsoka doesn't grow up to regret this as much as Anakin himself has.

She nods before darting after Artoo in search of a dataport.

Anakin stops a short distance from Grievous, and he idly notes it's the first time they've met.

"Surrender," the cyborg growls. "You are outnumbered."

"Not yet," Anakin replies, eyes narrowed.

"You are doomed," Grievous retaliates. Anakin doesn't reply verbally but raises his lightsaber defensively in front of himself.

Grievous is the first to move, standing straighter and moving forwards, spinning his lightsabers. Anakin doesn't wait for him to attack. He lunges forwards, unleashing a series of attacks on him before ducking and stepping back when the cyborg splits his arms in half and puts his other two hands to use. He would've been easy enough to defeat if he hadn't, but Grievous isn't stupid. (Most of the time.)

Anakin lets himself slip into the Force, letting it guide and time his movements. He gives ground when he needs to, trying to lead the fight away from the others. Dooku hasn't arrived yet, for which he is grateful. He doesn't know if he'd be able to fight them simultaneously.

Grievous's style is... sloppy. It's the first thing Anakin realizes. He doesn't have much of a style, which makes it even more difficult to counter. The way the four lightsabers work together, constantly on the move, makes it difficult to find a weak spot anywhere.

The cyborg's hands are metal, so Anakin has no qualms of chopping them off if he has to, but he'll have to find an opening first.

He suspects the cyborg realizes what's happening, because when Anakin finally finds an opening enough to lop off Grievous's lower left hand, the other three lightsabers slash down towards his head. Anakin steps back, swinging his blade up to block them, and Grievous kicks him back into what he thinks is the Twilight.

He slams against the cold metal surface, stars swimming in his vision. Pain jars through his head and back. It's not bad, but he should've paid more attention. It's not enough to stop him, just to knock him down for a moment, except that he's in danger of losing consciousness.

Instinctively, before Grievous can head towards him or the others, Anakin throws out a hand, sending a Force-shove at him that throws him across the hangar.

Anakin pushes himself up, but the hangar seems to tilt dangerously sideways, and he opts to stay where he is. His head is throbbing most of all, and it's distracting. Most injuries are easy to ignore. He gives himself a moment to breathe, to feel the Force flowing through him, letting the pain flow away to nothing, before standing again. They need to keep moving.

That, of course, is the precise moment another door opens to the hangar and Dooku steps inside, cape billowing behind him. Oh no. Nonono – at least he's here, not waiting for Master Plo Koon or Ahsoka somewhere, Anakin reminds himself as he raises his lightsaber again.

Dooku doesn't bother entering with eloquent speeches about surrender, unlike usual, which makes Anakin wonder exactly what he's up to. His greeting instead is a sudden, but expected, onslaught of lightning crackling towards him. Anakin already has his blade up to block it and forces it away from himself, looking away from the brilliant light.

"I may spare your padawan, if you surrender," he says. Apparently not.

The insinuation fills him with a raw, blinding rage, but he instantly tamps down on it. It's the Sith's intention to throw him off-balance, to make him easier to fight. Anakin doesn't respond verbally, but raises his lightsaber in preparation for battle, waiting for the Sith to make the first move. He already learned the hard way about charging into these battles, and it's not a mistake he intends to repeat.

Dooku moves towards him finally, and Anakin slashes at him once he's in range. They rapidly trade blows, working their way across the hangar with neither gaining ground. This is tricky, Anakin knows, because he also has Grievous to distract. It's a dangerous game to play, but he needs to make sure the others will be fine. If they can destroy the ship now, it would be just as well. (He should have listened to the Chancellor and the Council in the first place and not come. Maybe.)

Anakin lets himself reach farther into the Force. It hurts, but he needs to know. He needs to be able to sense everything on the ship, where his padawan is and where Master Plo Koon is and where the clones are, if they're alright. He needs to know when they're on the way back, when they're getting close, and to find a ship for them to take. Or to clear the hangar and give them more time to find a ship.

He senses the warning in the Force and dives aside as Grievous' blades nearly slash off his head. Anakin ducks down, swinging his saber upwards in a one-handed grip, blocking them. He circles around the two and backs away, eyes falling on the fallen lightsaber behind them. Reaching out, Anakin tries to call it to him with the Force. It would've come, too, and slices one of Grievous' legs right off, had Dooku not broken his hold by attacking him again.

The cyborg is approaching him now, and Anakin forces his breathing as level as it can be while he's moving as fast as he is. He must stay calm. He doesn't have time or energy to waste on fearing death in the Separatist's very brutal fashion. Plus, Anakin knows they don't want to kill him. They can't afford to. (That doesn't limit much what they can do, though.)

Anakin ducks around them again, snatching up the other lightsaber. It makes it significantly easier, to be sure, but it's a fight he can't hope to win. Not together.

One of Grievous' sabers glances a blow off the armor on his right arm, not quite cutting his skin. Anakin throws him backward in reward for trying, only for Dooku to nearly lop him in half for his efforts. Maybe he was wrong about not trying to kill him...

Ahsoka is almost there now. Maybe. Either way, he needs to buy her more time. Somehow, because he's already worn out and rapidly losing.

It's Dooku who knocks him down, of course. Anakin had – accidently, of course – turned his back on him to fight off Grievous for the moment, when Dooku sends a blast of lightning at him.

The agony of it is as strong as it always is, ripping through every inch of his body, sending him writhing to the floor. It always feels like it's dragging on to infinity, so in reality, Anakin has no idea how long it lasted. All he knows is that it's too much and he can't breathe. All he knows is that when it finally lets up, he's lying on his back, gasping. It sounds disturbing even to his own ears, and he wonders how much he's capable of fighting now.

Not that it matters, because before he could have moved to get up, Grievous steps on him. Literally. It's enough to keep him firmly pinned on the ground, not to cause permanent damage, though the pressure of it is harsh enough that he can barely breathe.

No. No. Absolutely not. Ahsoka is counting on him, and it could forfeit her life if he doesn't succeed. Closing his eyes, Anakin reaches into the Force. He can feel it in everything, in the floor beneath him. The Force ought not to be used in this way he knows, but there's little choice. Anakin calls the Force to himself, willing the floor beneath them to bend and break and give way altogether.

The next thing he knows, he's falling. Anakin rolls clear when Grievous crashes down to where he was, throwing the cyborg partly out of the way with the Force. Every inch of him aches, but Anakin rolls over anyway, dragging himself upright. His head throbs and he stands unsteadily.

Dooku is the only one who seems completely unaffected; Grievous is growling angrily and coughing harder than Anakin is from getting all the air crushed out of him.

Anakin doesn't have time to worry about it, because he needs to run. He needs to hotwire the hyperdrive and run before they figure out what he did. Most of all, they need to get out before the Malevolence jumps into hyperspace, because if it makes the jump before they get off, they'll all be dead.

Anakin sends a Force-shove at them before making a dash down the hall. He withdraws one of the few bombs he has with him – he needs to use them sparingly, but if he doesn't used one now, there may never be the right time – and drops it behind in the hall. It won't kill them – Dooku has the Force and Grievous is a cyborg, and mostly immune to such things – but it'll slow them down, and that's what counts.

His head throbs, but he shakes it off, pushing past it. There's no time. He'd comm Ahsoka and Master Plo, but it's too dangerous. The transmission could be intercepted, probably would be. He'll have to rely on the Force, which he does.

This mission was made counting on sheer luck, and they have no reassurance whatsoever that it'll work. All he can do is continue to hope and keep moving, even if he knows there's a disturbingly high chance he won't make it off.

And hopefully they won't find Ahsoka before she makes it off.

***

Ahsoka, Sinker, and Boost had gone one way while Master Plo and Wolffe took the other. She's on her way to the hangar now and can only hope it won't be too late. They've been attacked by droids a few times, but Master Skywalker warned them about communications, so they haven't been spotted yet. They talked to each other briefly, and he'd said their only hope may be that the Republic comes looking, if one of them can get out a message. Until then, they can only keep moving and hope they don't get caught. And maybe steal a load of explosives from Separatists... which is done, on Ahsoka's part anyway. What's a slight detour in a mission this big if it makes it more likely for them to survive? She doesn't think they'll die, but it's a possibility, and not one she wants to face.

She hasn't sensed the ship go into hyperspace – hopefully Master Plo's damaging the hyperdrive has been successful, or they won't make it off. Quite honestly, she doesn't know how they're going to make it. She can only hope they do successfully take out those droids in the hangars, and most of all can find a ship fast enough to escape on.

"We're on our way, Master," Ahsoka says into her comm as they hurry down the halls.

"Good," he replies. "I am as well. Have you heard from Master Plo?"

"No," the Togruta says, "But he should be on his way too."

"Good. Go for it," her master orders.

"On it," Ahsoka confirms, and the call disconnects.

And they do... only to be intercepted by a much-too-big group of droids. Ahsoka attacks them anyway, moving forwards, swinging her saber to shield herself, deflecting shots back at the droids shooting. She runs forwards, ducking under a blaster bolt, to cut one in half. The clones take shelter along the walls to shoot down the droids, but one of them – Boost, she thinks – goes down. Ahsoka doesn't let herself be distracted for longer than a moment though, gritting her teeth and moving forwards. He's still alive, and he'll stay that way if they make it to the ship.

Her green blade cuts through droid after droid as Ahsoka presses forwards, stubbornly, refusing to be deterred. She's fought battles before and this is no different, even if the odds are more against them now. She's a Jedi. Her masters have cut through far more with ease; she can do the same. She will do the same.

She is Ahsoka Tano, and she's a Jedi; she will not be killed by a handful of droids on foreign soil.

She jumps into the middle of the group, kicking down one and slashing through the others, letting the clones shoot them when they turn around to fire at her.

She's panting by the time they're down, but they move forwards anyway, even if Boost can't walk properly on his own. She refuses to let him die, refuses to let someone die when they were put under her protection. No, absolutely not. Master Skywalker wouldn't, so she won't, either.

Ahsoka goes around, discreetly climbing to a high vantage point. Spotting a ship for them is easy. It's a Separatist ship which disgusts her on principle, but it's their best chance.

Ahsoka takes the bombs from her backpack, using the Force to drop them in various places that she thinks – hopes – will do the most damage. There were many vulture droids there, and Ahsoka doesn't want to think about what would have happened if she hadn't taken them out. Her master was right about that – he seems to be right about most things. It's another thing she loves about him.

Ahsoka jumps down from her hiding place, flipping over and drawing the Force around her as her masters taught her, letting it slow her fall. She lands gracefully, her boots hitting the floor with a light thud, and catching herself with her left hand – still holding her lightsaber in her right.

The clones start shooting at the droids present again, and Ahsoka makes a dash for the ship.

She stops near it, waiting for the boys to arrive, when a clanking fills the air, and a towering figure emerges from one of the doorways. Oh, no. Grievous.

"Get the engine fired up," Ahsoka orders, moving forwards. She can't afford to let him near the ship. He could damage the ship, and it's their only escape route. There's not much else she can do here. The least she can do is distract him while they prepare the ship for escaping.

"The Jedi sent a child to fight me?" Grievous croaks. "The Republic must be running out of Jedi."

Ahsoka smirks, flicking her blade up, positioning it in front of her. The Force is her ally, and she has nothing to fear. "You were too insignificant to be worth my master's time. You're just another tinny, and I'll scrap you like the rest."

Grievous outright cackles like he's enjoying this, and she senses his amusement. He thinks this is a game? Fine. She'll give him one.

Ahsoka darts forwards, slashing her lightsaber at him. He blocks it, but his arm is strong enough to send her staggering. She jerks back and cuts at him again, moving backwards when Grievous starts approaching.

He's holding a blue lightsaber in one hand and a green in the other, and it throws her a little, because he's an enemy. He should have red; at least something other than the weapons only a Jedi wields.

She blocks him repeatedly, blow after blow, backflipping when he nearly takes off her legs and clumsily ducking, nearly kneeling to prevent him from beheading her, from the sheer force with which his blows are. She's exhausted, but Ahsoka keeps moving, anyway. Always keep moving. It's part of being a Jedi, and it's part of what she was trained for since she was a child. She knows how to work forwards, to keep pushing.

Ahsoka remembers what Anakin had said about always being in motion, and she tries her best. It helps a little, but he's so fast and strong. She has so many openings and he has two lightsabers plus a third arm not currently holding one, though that looks rather damaged for some reason, and he could exploit them if he tried. Either he's downright stupid or he is playing with her.

"Count Dooku has trapped your precious master," he rasps.

"I don't believe you," Ahsoka snarls, and keeps moving. She doesn't. Master Skywalker is fine. He will be.

All she needs is to buy time, and the engine of the ship whirs to life not even a minute later, and Ahsoka immediately runs for it. She jumps onto the ramp, shutting it hastily and scrambling into the main area where the other clones are. "Get us out of here!" she orders, panting. Her wrist and arms ache, and she doesn't think about the soreness tomorrow – because there may not be a tomorrow. Her master is still on board and so is Master Plo.

They don't make it far before the scanners pick up something emerging from hyperspace.

Ahsoka could have cried in relief when she sees three Republic cruisers arrive, though they're too far away for comfort. Someone must have successfully gotten a transmission out to them. She'd feared they would be left here on their own, but they're not.

Vulture droids are following them, anyway. Ahsoka winces as a shot explodes right next to them. They have no defense system; she probably should have made a better escape choice.

She watches the battle from a distance, itching to be in it. She wishes she could still be doing something, but the clones are out now – they're from the 212th, and Ahsoka couldn't be happier knowing Master Kenobi was the one who came for them; of course, he did. He was nearby, and she's his padawan, after all. She can only hope they won't be in too much trouble with the Council... but there is still the question of whether they'll all make it out alive.

They're pulled onboard not long later, and Ahsoka immediately takes off for the bridge where her other master is: he's commanding the battle instead of participating in it himself, probably knowing the dangers. She's reluctant to talk to him; he'll be mad, but she'll worry about that when it comes.

Master Kenobi doesn't look at her when she enters the room; he continues standing tensely in front of the viewport, watching. "You should not have done that," he all but snaps when she approaches.

Just this once, Ahsoka decides to save her objections for later.

Something prickles through the Force, but she can't place it. It feels like danger, but it's elusive, distant...

One of the other clones arrives with the report that they found Master Plo, injured but alive. Wolffe is with him as well, and Ahsoka breathes out a sigh of relief at that, though she's not sure what will become of Boost. He was injured badly, and she doesn't know if he'll make it.

"They're preparing the jump for hyperspace," one of the clones calls.

"Don't let them go," Master Kenobi snaps.

"Wait!" Ahsoka objects. "My master hotwired the hyperdrive. They'll be going into a star. It's the only way to destroy them."

There's a heartbeat of silence, and he sighs. "Very well. We might not be hearing from it again."

"That's Grievous," Ahsoka realizes, spotting the ship she'd seen him head into when they were leaving the hangar. He'd come after them but must've given up the chase while being attacked by the approaching clones. In reality, she's looking for her other master, but she doesn't see any signs of him.

She thinks Master Kenobi was ready to give an order, but he doesn't have the chance.

The Malevolence jerks into hyperspace.

Ahsoka's heart skips a beat when it disappears. It's over. It's done. Grievous is still alive, but Dooku... wait.

Wait...

She didn't see Dooku leave the ship, which means he might be dead, but... she didn't see her master leave the ship, either.

Which means... he might still be on there. He...

No. This can't be happening.

***

Stealth is... it is. Anakin knows how to do it; always has. He learned it on Tatooine, and it's a skillset that was much encouraged as a Jedi. It's a basic skill all Jedi must learn even before their padawanship begins.

Dooku corners him in the hangar he was heading towards – the others have already left. "You already failed," Anakin spits out. If it comes down to it, he'll wait here when the ship makes the jump into hyperspace. He doesn't want to do that, of course, especially now that he's not sure he can die. Anakin doesn't want to leave Ahsoka like this, not again, or Rex and Padme.

Somehow, Dooku only seems more amused. "You are the key to all that I need, Skywalker," he replies almost mockingly, and Anakin's blood runs cold. Does he know? How could he?! No one should have figured it out! Obi-Wan did though...

"You'll die here," Anakin retaliates, "And I with you."

"Indeed."

Anakin flinches – almost – when the Sith raises his hand, shooting a jagged bolt of blue-white lightning at him. Anakin raises his lightsaber to block it again, forcing himself to breathe. His determination to protect Ahsoka is what fuels him, his desire to come back to her. He doesn't know what would happen to Rex if Anakin wasn't there, or Padme. He can't die here, because if he does, they could, too.

Fear and exhaustion are nagging at him, but he holds firmly anyway. He knows his emotional turmoil always fuels the Sith. It fuels the Dark Side, and Dooku draws off that.

He must remain calm. He can do this. He has to.

Dooku moves closer and Anakin backs up, so the electricity doesn't get drawn to his arm. It's a danger, he knows. He's experienced that before and losing from that would be stupid.

Dooku lets up his lightning attack and lunges at him. Anakin moves to counter him, and their blades clash repeatedly in rapid succession. He was electrocuted earlier, and it's showing now. His limbs are trembling slightly, jerking of their own accord. It always takes a long time for the natural electric pulses to settle down afterwards, and it makes his heart spontaneously erratic for hours, if not days, afterwards, not to mention everything else.

Anakin throws a nearby crate at Dooku with the Force before bolting for the ships. He might have made it, maybe, if something – it might have been a fuel tank of some sorts from the looks of it – nearby him explodes.

The next thing he knows, he's landing a distance away, smoke filling the air. Something is digging into his side, cutting through his clothes and skin and maybe a distance deeper than that. It hurts, but Anakin is well accustomed to pain. It was one of the first realities in his life from the time he was born. The wound is bleeding though, blood seeping out of it and soaking his clothes.

He moves his hand – it's too sluggish, and he's so tired, and his head is throbbing. He hit it again when he was flung by the explosion – towards it, trying to find it – whatever it is, exactly, and pull it out.

"You'll bleed out," Dooku's voice says from somewhere far away.

Really? As if Anakin needs his lectures on the basics of human biology. Anakin ignores him, hand trembling as he grips the edge of the object – it's metal, and it's hot – taking a moment to brace himself before yanking it out. The pain of it is sharp enough he nearly cries out, but he clenches his jaw, gasping raggedly. Dooku is still here, and Anakin needs to make it to the ship and get out before the Malevolence burns to ash. He can't keep fighting though, not now, not when he can't so much as stand. But he doesn't have a choice, does he?

His vision nearly blacks out when he moves, stumbling to his feet. He sways unsteadily but remains standing, still holding his lightsaber – he'd dropped the other one. He was hoping he could have taken it back to the Temple, where it could be put to rest where it belongs, but that won't happen. Maybe. It makes him feel regretful, but the most major concern is escaping alive.

Anakin would have made a run for it again, maybe, but he doesn't get the chance. The Force tightens around his neck, and he struggles against it – fruitlessly. He can't die here, he won't, Ahsoka needs him and... At least Dooku will die here too, but Anakin does not want to get flung back farther into the past, not when he just started settling down into this reality; he can't.

The Force flares in warning right before his vision blacks out.

Final Notes: If you want to join our Discord to receive updates or just hang out, here's the invite link, and please delete the spaces! :) discord . gg / nqSxuz2

We also have a tumblr account (and delete the spaces): fanfictasia . tumblr . com

And! We have a YT channel for tributes! Please delete the spaces in the link. :D youtube . com / channel / UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

Finally, if you're interested, you can submit a SW gift fic request via the following form (delete the spaces): forms . gle / rmXWtRomMMaULuPa6

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 48 13
Shot down on Ryloth by rebels, Vader and Sidious quickly discover a far more serious threat than the other insurgents: a Fallen Obi-Wan, determined t...
670 47 8
Civil war has ravaged the galaxy since countless Jedi escaped Operation Knightfall, because of a mysterious forewarning. As Vader raises Leia amidst...
360 12 2
When Obi-Wan goes to confront Vader to lead him away from the escaping transport ship, he comes face-to-face with some bitter, horrifying truths. Vad...
10.6K 275 20
When Luke Skywalker is sent to the past, he ends up in the middle of the last skirmish before the Battle of Coruscant. He is fast running out of time...