LOVE IN THE BAKING

By AmariOkito

He bakes. She hates cakes. WARNING This story does not contain: - Mil/Billionaires - Fast cars - Hidden Prin... More

THE RECIPE
1+1
BILLS NO THRILLS
LESSONS
APP TRIAL
NO SWEET O
3 PM
ADELE
SING ALONG
PRESS SUBMIT
MATCHING
MAUREEN
PEEPING TOMS: THA & THI
OUT OF USE
SIGN UP
OPPO NOPP O
REPLY NO LIE
INBOX
SHOELACES
COLD SHOWER
OH BOY
FLIRT-THING
BIN & DOG
DREAM ON
SECOND YOUTH
LIMITED PARTNERSHIP
AVAILABLE-ISH
UNDER THE CRESCENT MOON
NOT TOO SHY
CHIT CHAT
INGREDIENTS
SUGAR CRUSH
WOOS WHO
PEACOCK FEATHERS

CONVERSATION FIRST

153 19 1
By AmariOkito

Callum didn't think he would enjoy speaking to women online, but the ones he had spoken to so far were all rather interesting. The app understood he wasn't picky about his matches' psychical traits. Blonde, brown, or red-haired, Callum was open to anything just as much as he was about their ethnicity, weight, or height.

Some would say he was tasteless.

How could someone not have preferences?

For the idealist man, what mattered was the qualities residing within, as cliché as it could sound.

Maureen was Asian, and it was the first time Callum exchanged with one. Asian women were mysterious, and the man would have never approached one in real life. He didn't know enough about them to flirt with them. Yes, they were like all women, sensitive to manners and delicate intentions. Still, Callum figured one had to have a minimum knowledge of their culture to seduce an Asian woman efficiently. Oppo made things easier. The app matched them, and Callum felt more comfortable behind his screen. She replied to his message twenty minutes after he had sent it. The man was losing hope when he received a Hi from Maureen.

Hi, I'm Callum.

I know; nice to meet you, Maureen replied.

Sorry, I'm new here, Callum wrote back.

It feels like walking into a party without knowing who will be there, right?

Exactly, Callum replied.

Maureen sent a laughing emoji that made Callum smile behind his screen. The woman couldn't guess how comforting the emoticon was for the anxious baker.

The questionnaire was endless.

Yes, the questions are surprising, though. Maureen wrote I was so shocked at the question that asked on which side of the bed I prefer to sleep.

Me too, Callum wrote, relieved to note he wasn't the only person who found some questions intrusive. I don't know why, but I keep imagining there's a team decrypting our answers when I know full well it's some metrics or AI.

I know what you mean, Maureen replied.

Seconds passed, Maureen pondered on how to drive the conversation, and Callum mentally hyped himself to write something.

I thought the questionnaire was a waste of time at first, but now when I see my matches, I'm glad to have done it, Callum replied.

Why? Maureen sent.

Because most are the type of people I'd fancy, but I wouldn't have the guts to approach them in life. I didn't believe the algorithm would pick people that would appeal to me, but I have yet to live a deception.

Callum was frank. He didn't see or feel the need to be otherwise. The screen filtered the sweaty palms and unreadable facial expressions that left one guessing.

Maureen sent a laughing emoji and wrote I'm only the fourth person you've talked to here. There might be prettier and more exciting women on this app.

Callum thought of it. It had been so long since he had a casual conversation with a woman about something other than croissants, bread, and carrot cakes. There were thousands of women, but the man knew not all would pursue discussions. He was happy with the ones who agreed to speak to him. There, he watched the clock; the minutes passed, and Maureen hadn't attempted to bail out.

So you're a baker? Maureen asked. The warm-up time was over. She needed to have more tangible information.

Yes, I have my business.

So you're an entrepreneur?

Callum swiped a hand at the back of his neck before answering, no, I just have a bakery.

Do you work alone?

No, I have a few employees, Callum replied.

What are a few? Maureen was curious about the number of employees because it established his business's strength.

Callum counted in his mind. He wondered whether he should include his apprentice and finally excluded them from his answer; I have eight employees.

That's a lot.

Callum sent a grinning face with a sweat drop emoji. Even he was impressed when he prepared schedules. The man wondered if he should tell Maureen he had been a teacher before, but she beat him to the question.

Is it a family venture? Have you always been in the baking business?

No, it's my personal affair. I used to be a teacher.

Really, why did you retire?

Again Callum was glad the conversation was online. He replied I wanted a change. Perhaps it's a middle-life crisis. I had some savings, so...

Maureen sighed with relief behind her screen. She liked people with constant behaviors. She would have cut the conversation short if the man had answered something along the terms of being fed up. If a man got fed up with a Job representing routine, how was he to stick to the game plan of marriage?

Callum couldn't imagine the bullet he dodged, but his answer wasn't satisfying for Maureen. She needed more answers. A change also announced a form of lassitude.

Why the change? You had a solid income and a lot of vacations.

True, but I wasn't my own boss. I could sit on the hope of a pay rise, and concerning holidays I didn't have much wiggle room, Callum wrote.

The man's replies were valid. Maureen liked the fact Callum became his boss.

How long have you had your business?

I'll be celebrating our 8th year in four months, Callum wrote.

Wow, that's amazing. Bakeries have weak margins between four and nine percent. Most close in the first three years. There are always cash flow issues; most fail to be competitive. It's really fantastic if things are working out for you, Maureen replied.

Great thought, Maureen. A man with the endurance to keep his business running after COVID definitely had merit.

Callum, would you like us to meet?

The man read the sentence three times before replying.

Meet like in real life?

Maureen smiled behind her screen as she imagined Callum's gobsmacked expression.

Yes, you seem like a nice person, Maureen wrote. Of course, the word nice replaced decent. The conversation was dry and basic. Callum wasn't her type psychically. She preferred a man with more body. He seemed lean on the pics, which was better than being a slob. Maureen loved the outdoors and psychically fit people, but Callum seemed sound of mind, which was worth more.

I'll take it as a compliment. By the way, thank you for replying to my message.

Callum was also polite, Maureen noted.

So want to meet?

Yes, sure, Callum replied.

Great.

Maureen gave the indications of the time and location. Even though Callum's input was minor, the man felt a form of relief.

How to boost one's confidence, Callum couldn't believe he got a date, and it was just the beginning.

Adele, the hairdresser, also offered a dating opportunity. The conversation with her was a ping pong game where the woman replied by returning a question before releasing an I don't know what to do tomorrow night. Are you free?

It was as easy as that; Callum found himself with two invitations without much effort.

The man was surprised to see how undertaking the women were. The other thing that differed from other apps was the impossibility of scrolling. Callum only had access to the suggested profile and had to consider paying if he wanted more.

He was stuck with his profiles until either party negatively answered a questionnaire. Thus, Callum waited to see what the dates had in store.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

487K 19K 42
She dreams of owning her own bakery one day. Baking is her passion and what she considers her dream job. She was content in life, just taking things...
66.3K 2.5K 18
For which she knew her stalker. Contains: Killing Edging Stalking Orgasm denial Clingy partner Switch couple Strong language Obsessive character P...
459K 11.4K 110
๐ˆ๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ๐š๐ค๐ž ๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐š๐œ๐ก๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ก๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ซ, ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž...