Treading Water- tsitp fanfic

Door lauren-writes-stuff

Natalia Fisher, better known as Nat, is like her twin brother Jeremiah in almost every way. Both live on the... Meer

Cast
Prologue
Back in Cousins
Dinner and a Swim
Bonfire
Run
Girls Day
Deb Tea
The Date

Book Party

1K 18 4
Door lauren-writes-stuff

Nat's POV

 I'm laying on my stomach on my bedroom carpet kicking my feet as I think of what to text Wally.

Hey:)- no that sounds too nice, not at all like me.

Hey, idiot- ok now it's a tad bit aggressive.

Hey, Walter- perfect, it's nice with undertones of mockery and sarcasm.

I hit send and begin to anxiously bite my nail. He responds almost immediately saying: Hello, Natalia. I smile to myself as before I even get the chance to respond he sends another text asking what took me so long to message him.

I scoff before replying, saying: Geez, Walter, didn't realize you were sitting by your phone waiting for me to text you all day. But if it's any consolation to your ego, I've had a long and chaotic day.

He responds saying: Well now you've got me intrigued, do tell.

I smile to myself yet again as I begin typing up the whirlwind of a day I've had. However, before I can get too far I hear Belly call for me from the bathroom, "Hey Nat, can you come clasp this necklace for me?" I turn off my phone and leave it charging as I go to help Belly. I stop in my track and my draw drops as I take in her appearance, causing her to awkwardly laugh, "What?"

I make a happy pouty face now, "Nothing, you just look all grown up," I spoke to her like a proud parent, "My beautiful, beautiful, Belly," I said smiling as I used my hands to brush her hair behind her shoulders. 

After I had finished clasping her necklace, I sat to the side and watched as she got ready, "So, are you excited for your first ever date?" I ask her.

"Yeah, I feel a bit jittery, but I'm pretty excited."

"Good, you should be- just remember, if he try's any funny business use that pepper spray I gave you."

She rolls her eyes but laughs, "Yeah, yeah, I know, Mom. Now get out so I can go pee."

I put my hands up in defense and laugh, "Alright, alright, I'll go miss piss princess."

I burst into my mother's room where her and Laurel are getting ready, tackling Laurel with a hug. She laughs in shock before hugging me back. "Are you excited for the big book party, Laur?" I ask in excitement.

"I don't know, I still think you Fisher women have a way of overdoing things."

My mother and I do a melodramatic gasp in response, "Us? Overdoing things? Never!" my mom says, causing us all to laugh. That's something my mom and I love to do, go above and beyond for the people we love. In this case, meaning planning the best possible book release party for Laurel.

Belly joined us in the room, giving herself a once-over in the mirror. Mom and Susannah had a conversation about crop tops being back in while Belly and I made eye contact and telepathically made fun of them for being old. Laurel comments asking if Belly is riding with them to the party and my eyes widen, did Laurel not know? Belly stood awkwardly and my mom spoke up, "Oh did Belly not tell you, she's got a date tonight."

Laurel looked shocked and slightly hurt that she had been left out of the loop but tried to play it off, "Oh, wow, that's- well that's great," she paused, gathering her thoughts, "Do we need to have a talk about consent?"

"No, " Belly said embarrassed before exiting the room.

"Don't worry Laurel I covered it with her," I chimed in.

She smiled at me, but still had the sad undertone in her eyes, so I did the only reasonable thing, I tackled her onto the bed. She laughed as I nuzzled up to her side, "Don't you worry, Laurel, I'll be at your book party cheering you on the entire time," I said before kissing her cheek.

"I can always count on you, kiddo," I smiled up at her with pride.

Nothing said was in anyway a diss on Belly, but all about a separate appreciation we had for one another. Just as Belly had a unique relationship with my mom, I had a unique one with Laurel. Yes, she was like a second mom to me, but she was also more than that. It felt too simple to just describe her as one thing. But the best way I could think to describe it is that when the inevitable day comes where I lose my mom, Jeremiah and Conrad won't be the ones to keep me tethered, not them alone at least, but Laurel will. I can already tell she will be the one to pull me back when it gets to be too much. It would make sense for people to remember my brother's and I as the best pieces of my mom, and that might be true, but to me- well to me, Laurel represents the best pieces of my mom. She is where I will see her the most when she is gone, and to me that is worth more than anything else in the entire world.

I had zoned out looking at Laurel with admiration, "What?" she asked, breaking me out of it.

"Nothing, I'm just proud of you and I love you."

"Well alright, I love you too, but you best start getting ready, miss sappy pants." I laughed getting up to go get ready, only to be shocked as Laurel slapped my butt, "I said hurry, damnit," she said in a fake stern tone. My mother and I looked to each other in complete and utter shock before bursting out laughing with Laurel.

"Yes, ma'am," I said saluting as I laughed.

Belly had already left at this point, so I went straight upstairs to start getting ready. I slid into a simple, white sundress and put on my brown converse. I added simple pieces of jewelry before making my way to the bathroom for makeup. I was adding volume to my hair when Conrad came in to put on some deodorant, "Dude," he said to me.

"Dude," I said in response.

"Mom is forcing me to get a job."

I stifled a laugh, "No way."

He looked to me in false annoyance, "What, is this funny to you, Natalia?"

"Funnier now that it granted use of my full name," I said, fully laughing now.

He smiled, "You laugh now, but you're next."

I stopped short, "Shit, you're probably right."

Mom spawned out of nowhere at the door, "Right about what?"

I gave Conrad a look that said 'don't you dare', nonetheless he spoke up, "That you're going to make Nat get a job too," if looks could kill, Conrad would be six feet under. He walked past Mom out the bathroom door before turning around to give me the finger, smirking. Again, if looks could kill, Conrad better say his goodbye's. I mean seriously, he picks the worst times to act like my usual brother again. Although I can't say it wasn't a little bit nice to see him smiling again, even if it was at my expense.

Mom spoke up, "I was just coming upstairs to check if you guys were almost ready, but ya know, maybe's his right," she paused as I groaned, "Wait, just hear me out, ok? Both your brother's have got jobs this Summer, it wouldn't hurt for you to get one too."

I gave her my best puppy dog eyes, "But Mommy, how will I spend as much time with you then."

She laughed, "Nice try, Connie's right, you're getting a job," I groaned, that's it, it's official, I'm killing him. "Yeah, yeah, mope all you want, you driving with me and Laurel to the party?"

"Yeah, whatever."

"Alright, well we're rolling out in five, so be ready."

I shot her a thumbs up and she dismissed herself as I did my finishing touches on my makeup. I ran to grab my phone off the charger before joining the mom's in the car. I went to go on my phone during the car ride and realized I had never texted Wally back- shoot. I wanted to text him but there was so much to tell him that I thought it best to wait till later and allow myself to enjoy Laurel's party for a few minutes before I let my focus to drift. 

I'm sitting on the couch a few minutes into the party watching Laurel continue to sign books. I softly smile as I watch her receive the recognition she deserves. I drift my attention to Steven and Jere who are making a game out of seeing how high they can stack a pile of books. I scoff and roll my eyes at their antics before drifting my attention to Conrad whose downing glasses of Chardonnay as if there were no tomorrow. I get ready to get up and make him cut it out when Steven and Jere plop down on the couch on either side of me. "Why so serious, Nat?" Jere questions me.

"I don't know what you mean," I answer, genuinely unsure of what he means.

"Well I don't know maybe the fact that you're too busy cleaning up after Conrad to relax and joke around with us like you used to," he pauses to scoff, "I mean seriously, I don't know what crawled up Conrad's ass this Summer, but don't let him drag you down with him."

"Don't be an ass Jere," I say sternly.

"What are you serious, how am I being an ass? I'm just worried about you," he sighs, "look you're my twin sister, we know each other better than anyone, and I know when something's bugging you."

"No screw that, I doesn't take a twin brother to see that something's off with you, Nat Cat," Steven piped up now.

"Look, you guys have nothing to worry about," I lied, "I'm still my usual fun-loving self."

"Oh yeah," Steven egged on, "prove it."

I rolled my eyes, annoyed, "Seriously?"

"Seriously," said Jere.

"Ya'll are getting on my last nerve," I said getting up to leave.

"Fine prove our point!" says Jere with a satisfied look on his face.

I turn back to them, flipping them off with a snarky grin on my face. I turn to walk away and go somewhere that they aren't, only to be met by someone's forehead clashing into my own. I hear Steven and Jere break into a fit of laughter having witnessed the whole thing. I rub my head as I look up to be met with the last person I expected, "Oh you have got to be kidding me," I laugh, "I mean seriously, Wally, do you not know how to talk to a girl without aggressively colliding into her first?"

He lets out an offended laugh, "Gee, nice to see you too Nat."

I smile now, "Yeah, yeah, whatever," I pause, "so uh, what are you doing here anyway."

"Oh I uh, I work here."

I give him a look of surprise, just now noticing his employee name tag, "Really, you, Walter Edgar Thatcher the Third, work at a book store?"

"Yeah, why so surprised?"

"Well I don't know, usually people with names ending in 'the Third' don't need Summer jobs."

"How rude of you to assume, Natalia," he grins before sighing, "but, no, if I'm being honest, I don't need this job. My mom's sort of a big time publisher and she thought it would be good for me to learn some responsibility, so she set up a job for me here."

Just then a light bulb went off in my head, "Funny, my mom said something similar, are you guys hiring?"

He smiles, "Well it just so happens that we are."

"Awesome."

We both pause, just looking at one another, before he clears his throat and speaks up, "So- uh, what are you doing here?"

"Oh well Laurel is basically my second mom, so my mom and I planned this party for her."

"Wow, that's- that's actually really sweet."

Now it's my turn to laugh in offense, "What, you're surprised I can be sweet?"

"I mean I don't know, you've got this kind of malice to you."

I laughed again, "Oh, malice, really?"

He put his hands up in defense, "Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I'm speaking purely off of vibes."

I softly laugh and punch him in the shoulder, "Shut up, dork."

We both paused, once again taking in each others presence when he says, "Hey, do you want to go up top to the roof, it's a cool spot."

I smile sweetly before asking, "Why so you can't get me alone and murder me?"

"Yeah, so you can get her alone and murder her?" says Jere with aggression, popping into the conversation out of nowhere. I had almost forgot the couch where Steven and Jere, and now Conrad, are sitting is only a few feet away and they had witnessed our whole interaction.

I roll my eyes about to tell him to screw off when Wally pipes up, "Uh, no, of course not."

Jere steps up to him, trying to make himself look big and strong despite the face that him and Wally share a similar build, "Good, cause if you try anything me and my bro's over there will fuck you up," he says pointing to the couch where Steven gives an awkward wave and Conrad rolls his eyes.

"Uh- uh, yes sir, I wouldn't dare try anything," stutters Wally.

"God, Jere, go find something else to do besides being a pain in my ass."

Jere backs away slowly moving his fingers back and forth between his eyes and Wally's signifying that he's watching him, while Wally just looks uncomfortable.

I can't help but laugh at his awkwardness as I grab his hand to bring his attention back to me, "So, you said something about a roof?"

He shoots me a smile before taking the lead and dragging me along as we are still holding hands. We go up a stairwell and walk out onto the roof to see a beautiful patio filled with fairy lights. I gasp, "I gotta say Wally, it's not easy to catch me by surprise but I think you might just have done it."

He dramatically gasped, "Me, no way are you serious? I did it? I caught the Natalia Fisher by surprise?"

I roll my eyes at him while still smiling before turning to lean on the terrace and look out at the stars. Wally walked up beside me and took the same pose, "So, you never did tell me about the hectic day you had."

I smiled at him and began telling him about the day I had, from getting high with Belly and the mom's to the chaos of the deb tea- he stopped me there, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up, you're a debutante?" he asked, shocked.

"Yeah, I know, it's not like me, but I'm doing it for my mom. I always knew I would have to do it one day and I planned to wait another year, but-" I paused, brushing over my true reasoning, "but I thought I mine as well get it over with, ya know?" He nodded with understanding, although I could tell he noticed my hesitation but chose to say nothing of it. 

The remainder of the night we spent talking and laughing about anything and everything. My phone buzzed and looked to find a text from my mom wondering where I had wondered off to as the party was coming to an end. "Oh, shoot, I think I better get going, my mom's wondering where I ran off too."

"Oh, okay," he paused nervously, not making eye contact with me, "Or ya know, if you want, I could give you a ride home. I just have to help close up but I can introduce you to my boss in the process."

I smiled, "Yeah, ok, that would be great actually, let me just text my mom."

I texted her letting her know I was with a friend who worked here and that he was going to introduce me to his boss and hopefully get me a job, although I failed to mention the true reason I was staying was that I wasn't ready for tonight to end. She texted back ok and to let her know when I'm home safely, I promised her I would and turned my phone off, turning my attention back to Wally, "Alright, we're all set."

He smiled, "Awesome."

"We should probably go downstairs and help clean up," I said.

"Yeah," neither of us made any effort to move.

We stared into each other's eyes, daring the other to move in. We both slowly moved forward, as if it wasn't our own will. Right as our lips were about to connect the door that leads back into the store swung open, causing us to jerk apart and awkwardly clear our throats.

"Enough screwing around, Wally, we need your help downstairs," a young woman looking to be in her twenties said.

He let out an awkward smile, "Yup, sure thing, Marcy."

The woman who I now know to be Marcy glanced between us quickly before turning to head back downstairs. We both stood there in awkward silence for a moment, neither of us sure of what to say after nearly kissing.

"So, yeah, that's my boss, Marcy," Wally said awkwardly.

I burst out laughing at the uncomfortable moment we just had. He joined me a second later, erasing any uneasiness that was previously there. As we walked back downstairs I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. 

A half an hour later and a thorough conversation with Marcy, who I realized was a pretty cool gal, Wally and I left the store, both as employees. I squealed before giving him a quick hug, "thank you so much for helping me get a job."

He smiled down at me, "No problem, I owed you."

I looked to him confused, "Owe me? Owe me for what?"

"For letting me spend the night with you."

I let out a loud laugh, "Wow, now that- that was cheesy, Walter, " he smiled at me as I laughed and we walked to his car. 

I don't think I got a chance to catch my breathe by how hard I was laughing the whole car ride back to my house, first his cheesy remarks and dad jokes and then he put Wheezer on and I just about lost it. 

"What, what is so bad about Wheezer?" he says softly laughing in confusion.

I try to hold in my laugh, "Nothing," I squeak out before breaking out into another laughing fit.

He shakes his head at me, laughing as we pull into the driveway. He puts the car in park and my laughs quiet until it is silent. "I had a lot of fun tonight," Wally says.

"Me too," I said smiling.

He looks at me smiling in shock, "What, no snarky remark?"

I giggle, "No, not this time."

We both pause before Wally speaks, "I know we're co-workers now, but would you maybe want to do something outside of work sometime?"

I gasp, "Are you asking me out on a date, Walter?"

He smirks, "And if I am?"

I smirk back, "Then the answer is yes."

We smile at one another before I break out of the trance and give him a quick kiss on the cheek before hopping out of the car, "I'll see you then," I say before closing the door, turning to leave, and the opening the door once again, "When exactly is then?"

"That, Natalia, is a surprise," he says smugly. I smile back before closing the door once again and heading inside. 

I walk into the house head over heels, practically skipping. However, I stop short when I hear Conrad say, "How about you go look in the mirror some more," moments later Belly storms past me up the stairs.

I storm into the kitchen to see an upset Conrad, "Look, Nat, I'm not really in the mood for one of your therapy sessions right now."

"Good," I yell, "cause I wasn't planning on it, I was planning on yelling at you for being a dick to Belly," he scoffs, "I mean, seriously, Con, I get how you're feeling, I really, really do, but can you not be a dick for one second."

"You get how I'm feeling, really? Cause to me you've seemed perfectly fine this entire Summer," he pauses, stepping closer to whisper, "What kind of daughter doesn't give two fucks that her mom is dying?"

I shoved him backwards, tears in my eyes, "I hate you," I spit out at him.

He laughs, an empty laugh, "Good, welcome to the club."

"I can't believe you," I say livid.

"Jesus christ, why are so fired up about Belly's date? We were there for like two seconds, and you should be thanking us, we left you alone with your new toy."

I'm seething now, "You what?" I ask, trying to brush over the fact he referred to Wally as a toy, "What kind of a person purposely ruins a girls first date?" He stays silent, "You know, for once- just once, stop wallowing in your self pity enough to realize you're hurting everyone around you, asshole," I say, aggressively brushing his shoulder as I walk past him. 

I'm still seething with anger and have to get myself to settle down before entering Mom's room. The sight of her peacefully asleep allows me to calm down a little, as I approach her I give her a soft kiss on the cheek to wake her. She rumbles a bit before softly opening her eyes, "Hey Mom, just wanted to let you know I got home safely," I say smiling.

She reaches her right hand up to hold my face in her palm, "Thank you sweetie, you have a goodnight," she says before nuzzling back inter her covers and closing her eyes. I smiled at her once more before softly closing the door.

I was happy to see Conrad was no longer standing in the kitchen as I wasn't sure I would be able to contain my anger. I made my way upstairs and softly knocked Belly's open doorway, "Hey, Bells," I say, offering her a tender smile.

"Hey, Nat," she says, still slightly upset.

"I'm sorry Conrad was being a dick to you and the boys interrupted your date, I already yelled at Conrad and I'll get to the other two tomorrow," she smiled, a thankful smile, "now, I want to hear all about your date," I say before hopping on her bed.

For the remainder of the night we talk about anything and everything. We squeal when she tells me her and Cam kissed, we squeal again when I tell her Wally and I almost kissed, we shit talk the boys, and we talk about life in general until out eyelids grow heavy. That night we sleep side by side as we have so many times before, and everything feels a little more ok.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

2.2M 41.9K 91
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚EASIER ۡ∾ ❛IS IT EASIER TO STAY? IS IT EASIER TO GO? I DON'T WANNA KNOW, OH BUT I KNOW THAT I'M NEVER EVER GONNA CHANGE AND YO...
8.6K 125 22
β€’IN WHICH the loss of a loved one takes Jeremiah Fisher and Amalia Jewel Barlowe on a journey back to Cousins Beach. Sequel to The Summer I Fell St...
120K 1.5K 19
Every summer, three families come together and spend time in cousins beach. There's the Fishers, who own the house, The Conklins, who haven't missed...
160K 2.1K 44
β€’IN WHICH the yearly reuniting of Jeremiah Fisher and Amalia Jewel Barlowe sparks more than just fireworks. STATUS: Completed (SEQUEL PUBLISHED) HIG...