Gamble of Wits || Finnick Oda...

By Sylerisya

The 'Flower of Panem' or 'The Angel of Mercy', Seraphine Reza is the jewel and pride of Panem. One of their m... More

Chapter 1: Game of Survival
Chapter 2: Fight or Flight
Chapter 3: Blood in the Snow
Chapter 4: Hollow Crown
Chapter 5: Wild Roses
Chapter 6: Broken Promises
Chapter 7: Idol Worship
Chapter 8: Ghosts in the night
Chapter 9: No Place Like Home
Chapter 10: From The Outside
Chapter 11: Snakes and Rats
Chapter 12: Empty Words
Chapter 13: Angel of Mercy
Chapter 14: Distance
Chapter 15: Push and Pull
Chapter 16: Plan For Victory
Chapter 17: The Gamemaker
Chapter 18: Valley of The Dolls
Chapter 19: Walls Could Talk
Chapter 20: Piece By Piece
Chapter 21: To Win and To Lose
Chapter 22: Between the Lines
Chapter 23: The Tragedy of Nero
Chapter 24: Burning Skies
Chapter 25: Writing's On The Wall
Chapter 26: Soft To Be Strong
Chapter 27: Fleeting Moments of Happiness
Chapter 28: The Collector
Chapter 29: Deep End
Chapter 30: Alone Together
Chapter 31: Sink or Swim
Chapter 33: Turning Point
Chapter 34: One Step Forward, Three Steps Back
Chapter 35: Today's Friend, Tomorrow's Enemy
Chapter 36: Damnatio Memoriae
Chapter 37: Mourn and Move On
Chapter 38: Scars That Never Fade
Chapter 39: Pulling Strings
Chapter 40: In a Crowd of Thousands
Chapter 41: Outrunning Karma
Chapter 42: Heart's Grave
Chapter 43: Walk the Line
Chapter 44: Person of Interest
Chapter 45: Marionette
Chapter 46: Power and Control
Chapter 47: The Moon and The Sea
Chapter 48: Pieces in Place
Chapter 49: Half-truths and Regrets
Chapter 50: Fatal Feelings
Chapter 51: Illusion of Choice
Chapter 52: Set the Board
Chapter 53: Clean
Chapter 54: The First Spark
Chapter 55: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 56: Fools' Paradise
Chapter 57: Cruel to be Kind
Chapter 58: The Candle and The Coin
Chapter 59: Enemy of my enemy
Chapter 60: Trust
Chapter 61: False Victories
Chapter 62: The Girl in Blue
Chapter 63: Gathering Pawns
Chapter 64: The Last Parade

Chapter 32: Choices

1.6K 93 54
By Sylerisya

'You can't stop a storm from coming, you can only take shelter from it.'

That was what Seraphine was led to believe her whole life.

That was what her aunt taught her.

She always wholeheartedly believed that but looking at the frail shell of a woman in front of her, she couldn't help but want to try and go against what she had always known. She wanted to believe she was doing the right thing, letting her aunt go back home. Deep down she didn't want to let her go just yet, afraid that the moment her aunt boarded the train that would be the last time she saw her.

"How could you decide this on your own?" Nox was angry, no, he was furious. He had never felt such anger towards his favorite cousin. "Did you even think about me?"

"Nox..." Her voice came out strangled and hoarse. She was breathing heavily to stop herself from crying, steeling herself to not show emotions. "Listen you need to understand that this is what your mother-"

Her cousin waved her off and glared at her. "Nox. That's enough." Talissa who at first was against Sera's decision had ultimately come around after much pleading from their aunt and some discussion with her husband. "This is what your mother wanted and you can talk to her, she's right there. Sera was..." Talissa found it difficult to finish talking without turning into a sobbing mess. "Sera was doing what aunt Dahlia wanted."

"So she discharged her without asking me?!" Nox threw the bouquet of flowers he had made earlier on the floor. The flowers crashed onto the flower, multi-colored pastel petals scattering on the floor.

Slowly, aunt Dahlia sat up. Her eyes were bulging out a little with how much weight she had lost in the past few months and her cheeks had caved in but she could still show her anger with just a little change in her expressions. "Lennox!" She weakly gasped. "You...you apologize to Ser-Sera right...now!"

Nox half-heartedly apologized and hurriedly packed his bags before dragging them out. He couldn't stand to even look at Sera despite her being his favorite cousin, things had changed overnight. Deep down he knew, the choices she made weren't hers to make but it was others who had forced her hand but the irrational part of him clouded his mind and he refused to show that he understood her.

Sera didn't really manage to patch things up with Nox before he went back to District 5 with her siblings and aunt. She barely managed to talk to her sister and aunt before they left. Her aunt's final words struck her hard and she had to take the entire day off to think about them.

The two were alone when her aunt hobbled over to her, just mere moments before her discharge from the clinic. Aunt Dahlia turned to Sera with teary eyes. "Sera...I hope you'll be happy...no matter what happens."

An odd thing for her to say, so odd that Sera was left speechless for a second. Eyes wide, she stared at her aunt, lost for words. What could anyone say in response to that?

"Wh-what? Why are you saying it like that?" She sputtered out, confused and afraid. It was like her aunt's final goodbye.

Her aunt's eyes teared up and a single tear drop escaped her eyes and rolled down her cracked face, leaving a wet trail from her eyes to the bottom of her face. "Because I know you. I...I know you always put everyone before you-you and I are alike." Sera shook her head. She wasn't anything like her aunt, she'd done things her aunt hadn't-selfish things that had gotten people killed, hurt and injured. "Don't." Aunt Dahlia shook her head, looking around for a sign of any of Sera's siblings returning or Nox. "Don't sacrifice yourself for others." She pleaded almost as if she knew what her future held. "Please. Be happy."

"I am happy." And she was. She was the happiest she had been in months or years. Finnick was the reason why. "You remember Finnick?" Aunt Dahlia nodded. "He makes me happy."

"Good." She breathed out a breath of relief and pulled her young niece in for a final embrace. "Don't...let him go." She pleaded.

"I won't." Sera whispered back.

Aunt Dahlia tightened her arms around her and almost didn't want to let go. She pulled away and cupped Sera's face into her, caressing her cheeks fondly as if she was still a little girl she remembered her to be. She looked straight into Sera's silvery eyes and said. "Be happy, Sorrel..."

Sera's heart dropped.

Looking at the fogged up eyes of her aunt, she couldn't see herself nor could her aunt see her. Aunt Dahlia was looking at her but her aunt was seeing Sorrel, Sera's mother who had long passed when she was younger. She let out a labored breath, tears blinded her as she struggled to breath or even speak. "Au-I will." She managed to only say those words.

The door had opened and Ramiel returned to the room with Huxley. "Aunt Dahlia, it's time to go."

"Ah, yes. I was just saying goodbye to Sorrel." She never snapped out of her final illusion. Constantly calling her by her mother's name even on the train platform.

Sera felt empty, losing her allies to her own plans didn't hurt this much as losing her aunt to her own memories. She was gone the moment Sera promised her she'd try to be happy and that only made her hate her promise-even if she didn't at first.

Was happiness that important that her aunt would purposely lock herself away in the bliss of yesterday?

She didn't understand and she didn't want to understand. Her past and present were barely pleasant. Her siblings and Nox were all she had. Aunt Dahlia was a hollow person to her and practically a dead woman.

She didn't manage to dwell on her thoughts too much as the clinic had suddenly become busier with the arrival of Annie and Agate.

Nurses and doctors had been running around in the Iaso Emley Clinic as the white lights above dimmed before flashing red. Stretchers with two bodies on it were rolled out from one hall to another. Sera watched the stretchers go and walked straight past her and she felt oddly sad watching them go. One of them would have to die soon for the other to live.

"Annie Cresta from Four or Agate Byron from One. Two survivors but there can only be one winner." President Snow framed his words like a question as the two sat in front of a large screen recapping the 70th Games with Plutarch Heavensbee, Minister Thistlewood and Zephyr who had somehow tagged along. There were still no winners.

"It would be unprecedented if two were to win." Sera spoke without thinking much. She wasn't in the mood to play his games, her mind was on her family.

Zephyr nodded, cutting a slice of meat with ease. "Yes, but it would be historical if they did win." He pointed out.

Minister Thistlewood stared at Sera with thinly narrowed eyes ignoring Zephyr. His godson shifted in his position behind her and used himself to cover Sera from his vision, annoying him. Her response was not what he anticipated. He had expected her to give a preference to a tribute, preferably Annie if Sera had a guess. "Disagree, I personally think Annie Cresta would be an interesting victor." He suggested, not even surprising Sera or President Snow. "I'm sure Seraphine would have something against Agate considering..."

"Considering." President Snow echoed back. His gaze flickered towards her and she pretended as if she had no idea what Minister Thistlewood meant. She just didn't really hold a grudge towards Agate, no reason for her to. She hardly knew her tribute. "What exactly are you insinuating Janus?"

"I believe Minister Thistlewood thinks Seraphine will...use her influence to choose a winner." Plutarch said with a light chuckle. Wine in his hand, while a grape in the other. The former Head Gamemaker seemed to be the only one who was at complete ease at the impromptu luncheon. "Though personally, I don't believe Seraphine was even close to her tribute."

Stiffly, she turned her head towards Plutarch. Of course, it was part of their play but she was still offended nonetheless at the notion of him calling her heartless. He wasn't wrong nor was he right. She cared but not enough to shed an ocean's worth of tears over a boy she met mere weeks before his untimely death and even so, unlike her relationship with her allies, she didn't even talk much with that boy.

Zephyr clicked his tongue, amusing President Snow. "That's a little rude don't you think, Gamemaker." He slowly spoke, his tone growing colder with each word and his voice becoming louder with each syllable uttered.

Sera nodded and silently thanked Zephyr, having him by her side was surprisingly nice. "Even if I wasn't his friend or anything, he was from my home district. I knew him enough to care for him but unfortunately, we can't mou-celebrate his noble sacrifice without a clear winner being chosen."

"Which brings us to our original point? Who wins? Agate or Annie." Minister Thistlewood interrupted, earning himself a drunken laugh of mockery from Plutarch and complete apathy of Sera who acted as if she hadn't even heard him. "As I said, Annie should win. We never had someone like her. Someone so...soft."

Her stomach churned and shakily she reached for her glass of apple juice, next to a medicinal drink she had made earlier. She was the only one without a glass of alcohol but listening to Minister Thistlewood speak, she wished she did have one. "It's not up to us to decide." Sera mumbled under her breath and President Snow nodded his head in approval.

Minister Thistlewood's face twisted into a snarl and Sera sat back. "I'm a member of the Senate." He spat out. "And a minister."

"None of those roles have anything to do with the games, Janus." Plutarch was so amused, he couldn't hold back his grin. "Come now. Leave things to chance."

"And if neither survive."

"Then the odds weren't in their favor." Sera replied before Plutarch could. "And that's the sad reality we have no choice to accept."

Between the two warring men, President Snow's right hand and left hand, Sera sounded like a rational person who cared so much about the President's authority and Panem. President Snow nodded approvingly at Sera's words. He sat back and listened to the squabble, choosing to only listen but not give his own opinions.

On the screen, a replay of Annie swimming against the tide played before being cut by the words 'Breaking News' flashing on the screen. Everyone in the room stopped moving and stilled.

"Good afternoon." The anchor greeted quietly as President Snow eyed Minister Thistlewood whose attentions were solely on the screen. "Our top news tonight; the tragic death of the visionary that was Director Ennius Walston."

Minister Thistlewood's face drained of color and he sat up. His mask broke and anger flooded his face before he quickly attempted to compose himself but it was too late. President Snow, Plutarch and Sera had seen it. Sera, of course, looked away and acted as if she was a little sad when really she could care less.

The President sighed loudly with a ghost of a smile floating on his face. "What a tragedy. Ennius was...talented." His eyes flicked to Minister Thistlewood who wasn't paying attention.

Plutarch and Sera shared a look, Sera looking away first. Both knew that whatever had happened was no accident. Neither voiced their thoughts and instead chose to focus on the news.

The stiff-faced and almost robotic anchor carried on reading from her script. "Reportedly, Director Walston was in Twelve to film a new movie but tragically a mine collapse took the lives of three miners, the mine equipment manager and the Director himself. His death was confirmed only recently due to a shortage of medical personnel around."

"My condolences to the Minister." Sera said with a small faux sympathetic smile. "I heard you were close to the Director."

Minister Thistlewood didn't say a word. Not at first. "And mine to you for your aunt."

Her heart hammered against her chest and her stomach lurched. The faux sympathetic smile was wiped off her face. Unconsciously, she was about to reach for the knife next to her plate but instead forced herself to pick up the small teaspoon and used it to stir her medicinal drink, wondering if she could carve his eyes out with the little spoon.

She heard President Snow put his glass down. "I was aware that Seraphine's aunt was still alive, Seraphine is she-"

"As far as I recall, her aunt is alive and somewhat well." Zephyr bit out as kindly as he could though he was sure some hostility had leaked through because the President raised his brows and narrowed his eyes on him. Sera kept her smile soft, lost gaze and a calm composure when she felt the opposite. Zephyr attempted to mirror her a little and actually succeeded a little.

"Apologies I was mistaken." Minister Thistlewood apologized half-heartedly before he looked up at Sera. He stared at her dead in the eye and smiled. "You care so much about your family, it's very admirable."

Her chest ached and her palms were sweaty as she dug her nails in, being careful not to draw blood. Scarus glared at his uncle and placed a hand on Sera's shoulder. His attempt to comfort her only caused her to feel even more nervous, his touch burnt her flesh and she held back the urge to rip his arm off. All she could do was nod and smile.

The anchor on the screen flipped the page apathetically. "Director Walston is survived by his two children who accompanied to Twelve-though just three weeks ago, his children almost were said to have followed their father after barely surviving a mysterious house fire at Twelve-notably, the house was said to have belonged to the dead mine equipment manager who shared it with his two deceased grandchildren that the Walston children had reportedly struck a friendship with." She paused to look at her script before finishing her news, well almost finishing her news. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the Walston children and we ho-" The anchor cut herself off before she placed a shaking finger to her earpiece.

President Snow frowned as one of his assistants hurried into the room. A plain faced woman in white hunched over the President, close to his ears and whispered something to the President. Immediately, the President's mood shifted. He glanced at Minister Thistlewood without an ounce of the earlier amusement but rather anger clouded his vision.

Before the President could say a word, another of his assistants ran into the room and stood back. President Snow nodded at him to speak and he did. "Laelia Kering and Finnick Odair are waiting outside for an audience." The assistant spoke before bowing his head.

"Ah, they probably want to plead their tributes' cases." Plutarch broke through the tension with his light voice. His sharp eyes carefully watched everyone in the room. "It would be a shame if they left without a word."

President Snow was quiet for a moment before nodding to his assistants. "Janus, I'd like a word with you later. Let Mr Odair and Mrs Kering in." His assistants bowed their heads and disappeared behind the water fountain in front of the door.

"I should take my leave then." Sera announced after finishing her medicinal drink. If she had to spend more time around Scarus or any of the men in the room, she would do something regrettable-possibily she might even commit a few murders.

"Stay." President Snow commanded and she promptly sat down.

"An unbiased opinion would be quite valuable." Plutarch added as if he was carrying on from what President Snow had just said and President Snow did agree, seemingly making Sera think that the former Head Gamemaker had wormed his way back into the President's good grace.

The doors opened and Sera turned her head towards it. Finnick, pale faced with heavy dark circles, stepped in before Laelia. She had seen him merely three nights ago at her apartment but since then, he looked worse than before. Laelia, on the other hand, was blank faced and seemed almost apathetic if it weren't for the way she walked, Sera might've truly believed Laelia didn't care about Agate.

"It's been three-no, four weeks." Laelia began after she and Finnick were seated next to Sera. "The games have long ended. Agate should've been declared the victor." She argued.

President Snow stared at both Laelia and Finnick with extra focus on Finnick but he didn't stir, much to the President and Sera's surprise. "Annie Cresta still fights on." President Snow responded in a quiet but stern tone. "We all know the rules, Laelia."

"Yes, but it's clear-Annie's not going to make it."

Finnick's jaw tightened and he looked down at his hands. He wanted to refute Laelia's words but for some reason he didn't. What he said, shocked Sera and she dropped her glass of half-drunk juice from her hand. "Laelia's right, Annie...she's not going to live and even if she does pull through she won't be a suitable victor."

His words truly stunned the table into silence. An avox hurried out of the marble columns and took away Sera's fallen glass and replaced it. President Snow was a little too focused on Sera's reaction, growing increasingly displeased with the way she showed open concern for his least favored victor. He wasn't the only one.

Scarus noted Sera's change immediately. His hand on Sera's shoulder tightened, he squeezed her shoulder, almost digging his fingers in. She hissed a little in pain before turning her head slightly to look up at him. The moment his and her eyes met, he loosened his grip and the corners of his lips went up. She only looked away in response.

"It's a little surprising for a mentor to say something like that." Plutarch mused, swirling his drink while glancing between Sera and Finnick. It seemed almost everyone suspected there was something between the two young victors. "I was sure you and Annie Cresta were close."

"Is that so?" President Snow questioned, leaning in as he clasped his wrinkled hands together. His eyes wandered around the table. He looked at them as if they were insignificant, pieces on the board. Finnick could only bow his head in response.

"Then why are you not pleading her cause?" Minister Thistlewood stole President Snow's words and took over from him. He licked his lips and both Laelia and Sera looked away in disgust. Even Scarus had to look down to hide the shame he felt at the clear thoughts of his once beloved godfather. "Annie...is a very promising tribute, she deserves some consideration."

"But Agate is more promising." Laelia countered, anger laced in her tone. She turned to President Snow. "Finnick isn't even pleading Annie's case, Agate should be the victor."

Plutarch made a noise, silently warning Laelia. She was testing President Snow's patience. If she wasn't careful, she might just damn Agate.

The anchor on the screen started to speak, louder than before. "This just in, a train heading to District 5 was reportedly derailed with no explanation. Current casualties are seventy dead, fifty seven injured including..." The anchor paused before taking in a labored breath. Her eyes teared up a bit. "The family of the 'Flower of Panem' Seraphine Reza, the beloved victor of the 68th Games. We can confirm that Seraphine's two siblings are said to be heavily injured but her cousin came out of the wreckage uninjured." She paused once again, staring at the camera in front of her. It was the most emotion Sera had seen the anchor show and it confirmed to her that the woman was indeed a living human, not an invention of the Capitol's technology.

When the anchor did speak, Sera's world turned silent. All she could hear was the blood rushing to her head and the quiet beating of her almost still heart. Despite being so prepared for the inevitable, taking shelter from the storm, she was still blown away with the wind.

Her vision blurred as dark fog creped up the sides before clearing. She let out an audible gasp before she cupped her hand over her mouth. Her aunt. Her frail aunt was standing before her, in front of the screen and she was smiling but she wasn't meant to be there.

"...Our thoughts are with Seraphine Reza as she mourns her beloved aunt and we pray as a nation for the swift recovery of her siblings. This is Sybil Silvervine for Capitol News at 7 signing off."

Not one sound managed to pierce the veil of silence that had suddenly fallen over the room, even President Snow had chosen to stay quiet. Awkwardly, they all stared at one another, thinking about what to say. President Snow calmly drank his tea while Plutarch awkwardly focused on the abandoned dessert in front of him.

Finnick cleared his throat, shattering the veil and breaking Sera out of her stupor. Her sad silver eyes found his sympathetic sea-blue ones and silently, she begged him to be quiet but he just couldn't. He couldn't bear to leave her alone. Her aunt was kind to him too, even if he didn't know her for long, aunt Dahlia had welcomed him and reminded him of what he had lost years ago. He had to say something.

"Sorry about your loss, I know it's something you'll hear a lot but I just want you to know that it wasn't your fault." She shut her eyes and looked away. His words only cemented the reality she wanted to avoid.

Letting out a pained breath, she tightened her fists, digging her nails into her palms. Zephyr moved his chair closer to hers in concern. This time she did draw blood. President Snow slowly put down his teacup and glanced over at Sera as did Finnick who almost moved from his seat to take her hands into his.

Before anyone could say something, Sera beat them to it. "Thank you for your condolences but I don't blame myself." Lies. Her mind whispered in a voice that oddly sounded like Jenny, sister of Annie. She almost laughed at the irony. "It was a tragic accident, I can only hope it was quick even if it made me sound a little cold."

"Not all." President Snow surprisingly agreed with her, putting his teacup down. He eyed the two young victors and then glanced at the frozen Scarus who stared dejectedly at Sera. "My condolences." He added after a second.

"Thank you Mr President." Sera's voice was hoarse and red had crept up in her watery eyes. She was holding back a fountain of tears but still she smiled even if it was killing her. How naive she was. Her aunt was gone and her siblings had a time limit on their life. Huxley and Nox would never forgive her if Talissa and Ramiel died as well. She would never forgive herself. "If you all don't mind, I'll be excusing myself for the moment to get some air."

President Snow nodded and waved her off, dismissing her. Sera stood up, her chair falling as she gripped the table so hard that her knuckles turned white. She glanced over at Minister Thistlewood. The crooked man only gave her a sympathetic smile. Finnick jolted awake from his stupor and tried to catch her gaze but Sera wasn't listening or looking at anyone.

Without another word, she hurried out to get some air. Finnick almost left his seat but he stayed once Plutarch silently signaled that it would be a terrible idea for him to follow her. Scarus, of course, was at her heels. The last person she wanted to see followed her around like death.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 5.5K 32
As you wander along the 13 districts of Panem and the Capitol, whether reliving your favourite moments of the Hunger Games or simply living among the...
42.1K 781 25
Two district 4 citizens trying to survive in Panem as victors with an unspoken love dwindling between them. She tries her best to not let her love fo...
13.6K 286 41
In a world where the beauty of roses and the lushness of hibiscus hide intricate secrets, Indila's life becomes entwined in a tapestry of mysteries o...
18.8K 410 45
Katniss Everdeen, Victor of 66th Annual Hunger Games at the age of 12, meets Finnick Odair, The 15 year-old Capitol Heartthrob. Katniss has trouble a...