Treading Water- tsitp fanfic

By lauren-writes-stuff

Natalia Fisher, better known as Nat, is like her twin brother Jeremiah in almost every way. Both live on the... More

Cast
Prologue
Back in Cousins
Dinner and a Swim
Bonfire
Run
Girls Day
Book Party
The Date

Deb Tea

1K 14 0
By lauren-writes-stuff

Nat's POV

Belly and I made a mess out of the bathroom as we scrambled around getting ready. Belly was still in her bathrobe drying her hair, while I sat in my bra and athletic shorts looking over the various southern belle type fashion pieces and fascinators that I could pair together. With the help of Belly, I settle on a black, flowy dress covered in maroon flowers. It falls the perfect length above my knees and it fits me in all the right places, I decided to keep it simple and go with a black fascinator. I look slightly as if I'm going to attend my late husband's funeral and then immediately retrieve the generous chunk of money he had left me behind, it's perfect. On my way back to the bathroom I pass Belly's room to see she's decided on the blue dress with yellow flowers. I get to work on styling my hair, leaving me with the fascinator perfectly placed on my head of soft blonde curls- and I only had one breakdown in the process. Belly comes in with her fascinator already put into place in her hair, leaving only makeup to be done. I do eye shadow for the both of us and I'm working on covering Belly's bruise when she says, "Hey, Nat."

"Yeah, Bells?" I answer.

"Thank you," she says sincerely. 

I stopped what I was doing to give her a confused look, "For what exactly?"

"For this, for everything," she paused, flustered, "I don't know, it's just, you always have time for me. Even though you're closer to the boys' age and they let you hangout with them whenever they want, you don't act like you're missing out or like it's a chore to hangout with me. I just wanted to say thank you and that I love you, ya know," she smirked now, "You're kind of like a sister to me, like for real, all I've got is a Steven. Don't get me wrong, I love the idiot, but you let me experience what a big sister is like, even though we're practically the same age."

I scoffed and punched her shoulder, "Geez Bells, when did you get so sappy?" She rolled her eyes at me, "I'm kidding doofus, I love you too," I paused, putting on an evil grin, "And hey, about the sister thing- no worries, one day we'll be sisters by law." Belly looked confused, "Ya know, when you marry Connie."

She scoffed in surprise and lunged at me laughing, "Shut up!" 

I put my arms up in defense, "What? It's just the truth!" I yelled laughing.

We continue are banter and laughing fits until Laurel calls up to us, "We're leaving in ten minutes ladies!"

We turned to each other, eyes wide. We were once again scrambling throughout the bathroom, adding final touches to our outfits. Laurel knocked on the open bathroom door as we finished our last strokes of mascara and out final puffs of perfume. She gave us a look of doom, "It's time." 

The three of looked to each other in nervousness, Laurel really did hate the idea of this. "Alright, let's do this Belly, if nothing else than for my mom," I said as if it wasn't my soul reason for doing this.

Belly seemed to understand my intention however as she nodded and spoke, "For Susannah."

We hooked our arms and looked to Laurel, who now seemed... proud, "For Beck," she spoke softly. We left the house and headed to the Country Club with a new wave of determination and confidence. 

All of that washed away the moment we pulled into the parking lot. Coming to a stop, Belly and I reluctantly left the car. We stood staring before turning around to thank Laurel for the ride. "I'm serious girls, one text and I'll come pick you guys up."

Belly spoke up, "We'll be fine Mom, really," I nodded in agreement.

"Alright, well remember your safe word Belly, lemon jelly-belly," Belly's face reddened and I stifled a laugh, "You too Nat, just remember: NatRat," now it was my turn to be embarrassed.

"Laurel thank you, but we'll be fine," I spoke through a tight smile.

Laurel sighed, "Ok, yeah, you're right. Have fun girls!" she said with false enthusiasm before driving away.

Belly and I looked to each other 

We begin walking to where the Deb Tea is being held when we bump into none other than my twin brother. Belly calls after him a couple times until he looks to her in shock, "Belly? Wow, you look great, I didn't even recognize you," Belly laughed awkwardly as I rolled my eyes, only then did my brother become aware of my presence. He stifled a laugh looking my over, "Never, in our seventeen years of life, have I seen you this dolled up."

I look at him in confusion, "What do you mean, you've seen me in dresses, like, a million times."

"Yeah I've seen you in dresses, but I was referring to you stealing clothes off of an 80 year old woman," he started laughing.

My eyebrows furrowed in anger, I reached out and twisted his wrist, making him grimace, "Two things: one, I'm dressed in the same exact style as Belly so stop being a dick, and two, you're one to talk when you're walking around shirtless like a minimum wage Hollister model," I said with a tone of distaste.

He winced, "Ok, ok, I'm sorry," he said in pain as I was still twisting his wrist. I released it and he shook it to relieve the pain, "Jesus, someone didn't take her SSRI's this morning."

I get ready to punch him when Belly steps in, "Nat don't, he's just pushing your buttons and we're already running late," I hated that she was right, but I dropped my fist and raised my middle finger, shooting my brother a glare. 

He returned it with a snarky grin, "Allow me to walk you ladies," he hooked arms with Belly and went to do the same to me when I slapped his hand away, "Jesus," he whispered. This time I was the one with the snarky grin. Having met my quota of sibling banter for the day I allowed him to hook me by the arm. I zoned out the rest of the way there as Belly and Jere talked I had my thoughts honed in on Connie as Mom had asked to do his portrait as Belly and I were leaving earlier. He was reluctant but agreed, I know he's in pain but I wish he would embrace the time we had left with her instead of just pushing the idea of it all away. Jere pulled me from my thoughts as I heard him introduce Belly as his future wife, causing me to audibly cackle, making those in the surrounding area turn their heads to us. I cleared my throat awkwardly, people began gradually returning to their conversations. I offered the women instructing the tea, whose name I forgot, a tight lipped smile. She returned, hers with a bit of malice causing Jere to be the one to clear his throat this time as he clapped our shoulder's and said, "Knock 'em dead you two."

As annoying as my brother was, I wish he had to suffer through this with me. Not to torture him, but to offer me emotional support. When Jere and I started going to school and were placed in separate classrooms we discovered we had severe separation anxiety from each other. They had us put back into the same class but we had to go to therapy so that this wouldn't become more of an issue as we grew up. Of course by Middle School we were able to be put in separate classrooms, but sometimes when one of us was put in a stressful situation it would come rushing back. I could feel it trying to seep through the cracks now, but I looked over at Belly who was sitting beside me and reminded myself why I was doing this in the first place. I took in my situation and calmed down a bit, I knew a lot of these girls. Shayla, Nicole, Gigi, I knew them, I've practically grown up with them throughout the Summers. I was ok.

We got on the topic of possible dates to the ball when Gigi brought up Jeremiah, "So, you two, aren't like a thing or anything, right?" she said referring to Belly. 

We looked to each other with surprise, "Oh, no, not at all."

"So he's like, available?"

"Yeah," Belly said awkwardly, as I sat a bit grossed out at the fact she wanted to get in my brothers pants.

"What about Conrad?" A girl, who looked familiar but whose name I could not remember, spoke.

"No, Conrad's basically Belly's sister," Nicole, piped up.

My eyes dart around the table in shock at the audacity they have to toss my brothers' name's around like that. Someone spoke up about Shayla eye fucking the waiter when I looked to be met with the face of Steven, again my mouth dropped in shock, "Guy's stop! You're talking about Nat and Belly's brothers," she laughed, appalled. I knew Steven and Shayla were hanging out a little bit at the bonfire, but damn. I mean, go Steven, she's hot as hell.

I made eye contact with Steven and formed a circle with my thumb and index finger before sticking my other index finger through the hole, I then pointed between him and Shayla. His eyes widened before he gave me a 'very funny' look and rolling his eyes. 

The conversation became more bearable as we moved onto topics that are more boring but comfortable, such as college applications. I thought we were going to make it through the rest of tea with little disturbance, but I suppose that was naive of me, "So, what's it like living with Conrad and Jeremiah," someone asked looking between me and Belly.

Belly looked at a loss of words, while I immediately spoke up, "Surely nothing like whatever it is you're having wet dreams about bit-"

I was cut off by the women leading the tea introducing herself, leaving the table with stunned faces and me with a smirk for once- except for Belly who is silently thanking God for his impeccable timing. Once they had all shook it off, they began passing a flask around and spiking their tea, now this is what I'm talking about. Shayla passes me the flask with a smirk on her face, and I take it, matching her smirk. 

It has just been announced that Nicole will be our 'big sister' for this debutante season. I wasn't sure how I felt about this, but I decided it best to give her the benefit of the doubt. Conrad had taken her to the ball last year, and if she was good enough for Connie, she was good enough for me. 

Once conversation continues Belly excuses herself to run out to the hall for God knows what, leaving me to my own defenses. While the girls have split up into different conversations Shayla turns to me and says with a small, "You're kind of a badass, I like you."

I smile, a genuine smile, "Why thank you, I can be picky with my friends, but I really like you too."

We shared a smile. Damn, if Steven wasn't careful I'm going to steal his girl, but for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and be her friend.

Just then Belly returns in a rather chipper mood, "What?" I ask eagerly.

"What?" she says innocently.

"Spit it out Belly, what's got you wiggling in your seat?"

"I have a date! Tonight!" I squealed.

I gasped in excitement, "Oh Belly, that's so exciting. Who's the lucky guy?"

"Cam, the one from the bonfire."

I whistled, "Ooo, bonfire boy, mysterious," we laugh before I continue, "No, but seriously, I'm happy for you Bells, you deserve this." For the rest of the tea we discuss the details of her date: when is it, where is it, how to act in certain situations- and most importantly-, how to kick a guys' ass quickly and efficiently when needed. 

I pondered all the different possibilities that may come to light with Belly and her bonfire boy: Could he be the one she'll marry? Could he be her first love? Could he be nothing more than a lesson for her to learn? The future is the only thing that could truly bring us answers, but all of it did raise a question for me: What could come of my bonfire boy?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 388 50
☆𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃, 𝐓𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔☆ 𝐘/𝐍 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐤𝐥𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐚 𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐡...
2.9K 66 8
Y/n lives in Cousins year round, but it isn't until June when she feels alive again. The Fisher's and Conklin's have finally made their way back to t...
2.2M 42K 91
∾✧。EASIER ۵∾ ❛IS IT EASIER TO STAY? IS IT EASIER TO GO? I DON'T WANNA KNOW, OH BUT I KNOW THAT I'M NEVER EVER GONNA CHANGE AND YO...
120K 1.5K 19
Every summer, three families come together and spend time in cousins beach. There's the Fishers, who own the house, The Conklins, who haven't missed...