Ambassador

By ReginaauMundi

If you want to read a slow burn about Crosshair, this is for you. It is completely cannon compliant and fun t... More

Prologue-ish (Relationship Goals)
Chapter 1: Arrival
Chapter 2: A Home or Not
Chapter 3: The Regs and the Experimental Trooper
Chapter 4: CT-9904
Chapter 5: Finger on the Trigger
Chapter 6: Lockdown
Chapter 7: Forgotten Son
Chapter 8: War-Mantle
Chapter 9: First Man of the Future
Chapter 10: The Ghost Song of Mandalore
Chapter 11: An Elite Soldier and Elite Clone
Chapter 12: Deal with a Devil
Chapter 13: Decommission and Reclaim
Chapter 14: Bad Feelings
Chapter 15: Humanity
Chapter 17: Contention Among Tribes
Chapter 18: The Dashing Officer
Chapter 19: The Boy and His Scope
Chapter 20: The Senator's Mistake
Chapter 21: Vengeance of a Sharpshooter
Chapter 22: In the Red
Chapter 23: No Return
Chapter 24: The Oracle's Unheard Dirge of Peril
Chapter 25: Burden of Duty
Chapter 26: Taa's Friendship
Chapter 27: No Rest in War
Chapter 28: Teller and Gimbal
Chapter 29: Mesh'la and Death
Chapter 30: The Quiet Danger
Chapter 31: Howser the Betrayer
Chapter 32: Bauble on a Shelf
Chapter 33: The Boy to Sail the Stars
Chapter 34: Treason
Chapter 35: Loyalty
Chapter 36: The Last Day of Lama Su
Chapter 37: Judgment From on High
Chapter 38: Found in the Journey of Ash

Chapter 16: Free Will

313 12 2
By ReginaauMundi

Nala Se bowed in submission, immediately preparing to obey yet still continuing to warn Alanja. "Removing the chip is fraught with danger, Miss Rampart. There is still time to reconsider."

Alanja did not relent. This was a risk that she had to take. Crosshair had to have a clear mind. Right now, even without the surgery to remove the chip, Crosshair might die. If the chip did not come out now, when would there ever be a better chance? The short answer was that there would likely never be a time to do it beyond this deadly moment. If he lived and his chip remained, he would never submit to have it removed so long as the Kaminoans had the power to enforce their will upon him.

For her part, Nala Se performed the task with less resistance than Alanja expected. After she completed the removal, the Kaminoan stood quietly over Crosshair as he remained in his induced coma. Alanja watched the gentleness of Nala Se as she pulled Crosshair's blanket a little higher. It was almost motherly.

"You made it, friend," Alanja whispered to Crosshair when Nala Se let her come back near him.

"Do we have a deal, Miss Rampart?" asked Nala Se. When Alanja looked up in confusion, Nala Se said, "I have done your will. Remember my kindness when things change for my people."

Alanja nodded. "It will be done." When Nala Se nodded in submission, Alanja suddenly realized that Nala Se was not as naive as she had believed. The Kaminoan was afraid for the future, and well, she should be. The power of Kamino could rival the newly formed Galactic Empire by burning it out from within with their control over the clones. The 'end' of the war was proof of their ability to overthrow the tyranny of the Jedi Order. What would stop them from doing the same again when they were ready?

"Nala Se," Alanja called the Kaminoan as she turned to leave. "Thank you."

Nala Se gave a slight nod and left them.

Alanja leaned over Crosshair. He was now free. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she smiled, pressing a kiss to that single, unburned place on his forehead. "Rest now," she said, gently stroking his chin.

Dark thoughts raced through Alanja's mind. She would have to remain at his side day and night. Though she believed the chance was slim, if the Kaminoans discovered what Nala Se had done, they might come to kill Crosshair in his sleep, believing he was too dangerous without his inhibitor chip controlling him. They were not wrong. He was the most dangerous of their creations, and Crosshair was loyal to Alanja, not them. She was sure of it. Even with the mind control of the chip, he had played the Ballad of Mandalore in the training room for her. He had killed Marjin to protect her and Rov.

Perching on the edge of the bed, Alanja rested her head beside his shoulder. "I will make sure nothing happens to you."

As the days of his sleep drew on, Alanja remained with him, curled up at his side, never leaving him for more than a few minutes at a time, especially when any Kaminoan was near.

Rov came once, too. He did not take well to her when she informed him she would not be leaving Crosshair's side. "They'll kill him if they find out what I've done. We have to keep this to ourselves."

His arms crossed, Rov's chin fell to his chest with a deep sigh. "Dear sister."

Sitting up from where she had been curled up beside Crosshair, Alanja pleaded. "Rov."

His countenance oscillating between an older brother and admiral, Rov said, "You are convinced Nala Se will keep her end of your agreement?"

"Yes. She will say nothing. What she has done is treasonous on Kamino." Alanja glanced at Crosshair, his chest rising and falling as air was mechanically forced into his lungs. Did she really believe that? Was Nala Se trustworthy? No. Nala Se was a traitor, bartering for her own safety. 

"She is valuable to us, unlike Lama Su. She knows it."

"Very well. Keep me informed of any out-of-place behavior."

Alanja gave a tiny grin. "What better place to do so than here?"

Rov stepped forward, pulled his blaster from its holster, and handed it to her. Her whole being tensed when he forced it into her hands. "Do what you have to do. If Nala Se or any of the others seem like they will be trouble, execute them."

Now fully the cold admiral again, Rov gave her a nod of his haughty chin and left her. Scared that he believed her enough about the danger of the situation to leave his weapon, Alanja cradled the pistol and pulled Crosshair's blanket over her as she curled back up at his side. "Wake up soon, friend. We need you."

That night, a hand brushed her arm in the gray darkness of the infirmary twilight. She startled awake, but when she saw no one, she groaned and hid her face against the side of Crosshair's bare shoulder. A pair of dimmed, nurse-droid eyes floated in beside them. Alanja's felt like shooting it. The last time it came in, it took all her willpower not to blast it to bits with Rov's pistol. That insistent hand was back on her arm. The droid came in closer, running a scan over Crosshair, the movement fully jolting her upright, the pistol clinking against the droid's head.

"Back away," she ordered the droid.

Her head swiveled back when Crosshair let out a grunt of pain. He was clutching his ribs, his face contorted in a snarl. Suddenly, she realized the hand on her had been his. He was awake!

"Crosshair," she breathed.

His bleary eyes blinked as she slid out of the bed and brushed down her gown. Crosshair wheezed her name. "Alanja."

Abashed, she hugged the pistol to herself. "Hello, friend."

He smirked, painfully amused by her timidness. She dropped the pistol to her side when his gaze flickered to it. Unable to tell if he thought she looked like a fool or if he was glad to see her, she broke the awkward silence with "How do you feel?"

He snorted weakly in response, his eyes still considering her face and the weapon. "Alive."

She smiled at him and took his hand, drawing it over her heart.

His gaze was suspicious. "What are you doing here?"

The question stung. "I couldn't just leave you here alone."

He scowled as if he was angry with her. No, not anger, trepidation and confusion that he was using to wall her off from a spike of vulnerability towards her. "Why not? You don't owe me anything?" He looked down at the blaster again.

Still holding his hand tightly, she said. "You're my friend."

"You keep saying that."

"Would you rather that I not?"

His eyes narrowed, and he shook his head, no.

"She's been here night and day," the medical droid complained. "She has kept me from doing my duties."

"Shut up, you," she said as she angrily waved the pistol at the droid.

His brow rose at her wild brandishing. "Hiding from the regs?" He sounded as if he genuinely thought the joke would divert her attention back to him.

Her cheeks reddened. She shrugged with a timid smile, sheepishly taking a step back from the med droid. "Maybe."

Crosshair gave a pained laugh, the sound filling her loneliness with hope.She held his hand tighter. "I was so scared."

Her answer seemed to rankle him. Again, that vulnerability surfaced before he could crush it with his curt, "Why?"

The question stung as if he was completely oblivious, though it was worse than that. He was outright shunning Alanja's fears as if she was being absurd. She huffed bitterly. "Are you trying to make me angry?" she spat incredulously.

He gave that awkward laugh again. "No."

Stressed, she hugged his hand even tighter. "I was scared of losing you, Crosshair. Maybe you are oblivious to our friendship, but I am not."

His throat bobbled, and he pursed his lips as if he missed his toothpick. His brown eyes were vast pools in the dark as he considered her. He had not been expecting her to be so persistent. Crosshair narrowed his eyes and prepared to deflect. "I see you're still trying to think up nice things to say to me?"

Getting frustrated, Alanja finally let go of his hand. There was a flicker of disappointment in his gaze when she released him. "Don't act like you don't know I care about you," she scolded with her hand on one hip and the pistol on the other. "It's absurd at this point, don't you think?"

He relaxed his head back in his pillow and gazed at her with a strangely peaceful look on his gaunt, burned, and bandaged face. "You're right, Miss Rampart. It is absurd you care." He smirked when she scowled at his jab.

"Then I will be absurd, CT-9904," she said in the hardest voice she could muster. "Things for you will be different now because I have given you a great gift."

He was a little slow to respond, hiding his suspicion behind a snide tone, "What's that?"

She held her head high and replied, "I made Nala Se remove your inhibitor chip, CT-9904. You are no longer her property, Commander Crosshair."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 4.4K 33
COMPLETED 🔐 Not everyone can control their powers, not everyone can change their past. She's the icy cold unpredictable girl that people fear but re...
375K 13.7K 36
Vanessa Edwards is your normal, typical 13 year old girl. Well, besides the fact that she has no parents. And that she was specially selected to atte...
377K 8.2K 142
Hiko is Naruto's twin sister. Despite being twins they are polar opposites, Naruto is childish, Hyper and airheaded while Hiko is Mature, lazy and i...
11.6K 360 27
Since the day Professor Fig died, she was not the same. Her teacher, her mentor was gone and she felt like she was alone in the world. Putting her i...