**OLD DRAFT**Sworn: Book 2 of...

By TheDowny

Destiny is not guaranteed. It is not written. It is earned. It is lived. After leaving behind everything she... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Watty's 2015
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Author's Note and Some Updates!
New Story
Authors Note

Chapter 4

5.6K 326 83
By TheDowny

It took a long time for Jade to fall back asleep. She kept opening the connection with Phantom to assure that Reiner was fine. Each time he was at peace, Reiner was asleep and oblivious to the world. When Jade did manage to sleep, she felt that she had rested only a moment before she was woken by a knock to her door.

"Yes?" Jade sat up in her bed and rubbed her eyes.

"Just checking to see if you're awake, I had breakfast brought up for us," Reiner's voice travelled through the door and Jade nodded as though Reiner could see her and fell back onto the pillow. Jade rubbed her hands down her face and yawned. She felt exhausted. She had had a fitful sleep with foggy fragments of memories and dreams. Jade dressed brushed out her hair and wove into a quick braid. She carried her katana in her hand and emerged from her room. Reiner was sitting in a chair in front of the fire, a small knee high table had been set before the fire, and it was covered with food. Phantom was lying behind Reiner's chair.

"Good morning," Jade greeted and took one of the chairs. She rested the katana beside her, propped against the chair. Reiner was pouring himself a cup of coffee. A small stick of cinnamon poked out of the dark liquid.

"Good morning," he greeted without looking at her, focused on not spilling the coffee. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Yes please," Jade said. She watched him carefully. He poured her a cup and placed a cinnamon stick in it then slid it across the table to her.

"It's a chilly morning today, should warm up later but we'll want our cloaks today. I was informed that your clothes are almost complete. So maybe tonight you'll have some new things to wear." He stirred the coffee with the stick of cinnamon then sipped. Jade took a small sip as well, barely tasting the bitter liquid. He's avoiding looking at me.

"Reiner?"

He kept talking. "I mean it's not that you need fancy clothes, you look fine either way. But I think you'll feel more comfortable-"

"-Reiner-" Jade put her cup down.  

"-around the court. I put a request in for some of your things, I think you'll be pleased-"

"-Reiner...please." He grew quiet, his jaw locked and flexed. He stared at his coffee stubbornly, and then slowly he lifted his eyes and looked at Jade's neck. He flinched and looked away. Jade noticed at least that his cheek hadn't bruised. She touched her fingers to her neck, it was sore, she wasn't sure how bad the bruise was, she hadn't looked in the mirror. There was stony silence, Phantom Jade knew, could smell the tension.

"A dream," he whispered. "I prayed to God this morning that it had all just been a dream. I didn't-I never..." He swallowed hard and dropped the cup onto the table loudly. He pushed his face into his hands. He seemed almost panicked. "I'm a coward." How do I fix this? The fact that he had attacked her last night and tried to choke her meant nothing to Jade, it changed nothing. She knew it hadn't been him, he doesn't know that I understand. He'll think that I think the worst. That he's some sort of sick monster, or that I won't trust him now. How to explain to him that I'm not skittish kitten?

Jade took a moment and chewed over her thoughts carefully and then looked at the fire. "I bit my uncle my first time. He didn't know what was happening and I don't remember doing it, but he reached for me and I locked onto his arm like a rabid dog. He had a hell of a time getting me off, or so he told me. He's got a scar from where my teeth sunk in and drew blood. He had to have to wound stitched it went so deep. I remember waking up the next morning and seeing his arm wrapped and bloody. When I asked what happened, he said he had fought a ghost. It wasn't until I was older that I found out what had really happened. He never said anything to me, never blamed me or shied away, it went on for months until I started getting better, the terrors turned into nightmares and everyone could sleep again." Jade turned her head. Reiner was looking at her and his eyes were wide, searching her face to see if she was making up the story just to make him feel better. "The nightmares never go away, but they get easier with time, and eventually they make you stronger."

                Reiner played with the cinnamon stick. His eyes watched the dark coffee swirl around the cup. They were silent for a few minutes while Reiner thought. Jade picked up her coffee and drank; it had grown sweeter from the cinnamon. "How much of last night was real?"

                Jade shrugged, "That depends on what you are referring to."

                "Were there men in my room last night?"

                "Not real."

                "I fought you." He glanced at the bruises on Jade's neck.  

                "Yes, that was real. I did slap you though, so it was not a one sided treatment," Jade joked softly and Reiner managed a weak smile and touched his cheek.

                "Yes, that is rather sore this morning," He looked away, a blush gently touched his cheeks. "I also remember you being naked." He swallowed visibly.

                Jade snorted and a smile spread over her features, "I was hardly naked."

                "But, you didn't have any pants on."

                "That is true," Jade conceded.

                Reiner licked his lips and ran a hand through his hair, he paused halfway through the gesture and his hand dropped into this lap. He looked at Jade again, but this time he didn't blush or turn away. His eyes narrowed slightly as he searched hers, "I remember you. You led me back to my bed, you stayed with me until I fell asleep, you...you ran your hand through my hair to calm me down."

                "Worked like a charm, you were a small helpless kitten," Jade teased but Reiner wasn't having it. His face was like stone so she cleared her throat. "Yes, that happened."

"Thank you," he said softly.

"I swore you protect you Reiner.  I understand better than most that sometimes that means you'll need protection from the shadows of your nightmares, from even yourself."

"Thank you," he said again and picked up his coffee.

They ate their breakfast in silence.

It was a boring day for Jade. Reiner spent it with the queen. They walked around the tournament together and sat and watched the games. Jade kept an eye out for Merek and Lander, but she saw no sign of them, she hoped that she would be able to get another message to them, to arrange a meeting so they could see for themselves that she was in good health and she wished to tell them everything that had happened. No one but Thatcher noticed the bruises on her neck, and even he didn't say anything. They weren't as bad as Jade thought; they would heal in a day or two easily. It felt worse than it looked.

                Charles and Reiner escorted their mother on either arm and the royal guard provided protection to them. Thatcher and Jade simple stood back and followed behind, like forgotten pets. They ate lunch at the tournament and the queen was gracious and loving. She stopped to speak with a few of her people and she didn't tolerate for people to bow to her at every moment. She enjoyed watching Reiner and Charles around her as well, it was clear they loved their mother. There was always a smile on their faces and they doted on her.

                "Is it true that Louisa has convinced father to let her shoot her bow in the tournament?" Charles asked. Jade listened to the conversation with curiosity.

                The queen rolled her eyes and took a breath, "I swear the two of you are bad influences on her. She made a rather convincing argument. If I had my eyes closed I would have bet money that I was listening to you and not her Charles." She looked at him accusingly and he dropped his eyelashes and batted them at his mother.

                "I don't know what you're talking about mother. Reiner is the crafty one, not me."

"That's a bold lie and you know it," Reiner retorted. There was a short argument between them before the queen shushed them.

                "In the end your father agreed. There will be a separate junior's tournament, a way for the younger ones to have a shot at proving themselves. In the end it turned out to be beneficial, the nobles are pleased to show off their younger children before they are officially introduced into court."  

                "I think that's rather brilliant actually," Charles said surprised. "It'll make for good entertainment if nothing else."

                "Hmm," the queen said. "You will do well not embarrass your sister. I know she puts up a tough act but she looks up to the two of you. She will be nervous tomorrow, so try not to do anything foolish."

                Reiner leaned over and kissed his mother's cheek, "We will do what we can to help her, of course."

                The queen smiled warmly at her son. "It's not you I'm worried about," she admitted. The two of them laughed while Charles failed to convince them otherwise, mainly because he couldn't stop laughing himself. When they returned to the palace that evening Jade listened while Reiner pulled his mother aside for a short conversation. Jade stood off to the side and scanned the people walking around them at the entrance of the palace, but there were no threats, especially not with the royal guard so close.

                "May I be pardoned from dinner tonight?" he asked his mother, she had a hand wrapped on his arm, just like they had been walking all day.

                "Again? That will be the second time this week."

                "I know," he assured her. "But I would like to help Louisa before tomorrow and since she's not attending the feasts yet I figured it could be a good time to do it."

                His mother kissed her sons cheek again and smiled, "You are a good brother, and an even better man. Yes you may be dismissed from the feast tonight."

                "Thank you mother," he smiled. The relief was obvious, Jade found that she was grateful as well, it meant she didn't have to stand for hours watching Reiner dance and be swarmed by idiotic courtiers. Reiner stepped back from his mother and bowed. He motioned to Jade and they made their way back to his rooms. The moment they stepped into the private quarters of the palace Reiner tugged at the silk around his neck and loosened it then ran a hand through his hair. Halfway to his room they ran into his older brother Jack.

                Reiner stopped when he approached them and Jade gave a bow. Jack was escorted by four of his assistants. The men stood back from Jack as well as four members of the Royal Guard. The future kings eyes went immediately to Jade as he evaluated her. "Good evening Jack, where's my beautiful sister in law?" He asked smiling. Reiner seemed comfortable enough, but Jade could tell he didn't hold the same easy relationship with Jack that he did with Charles. Jade thought it was perhaps the age difference and the different levels of responsibility. She wondered how often they actually spoke to each other

                "On a ride before dinner with a few members of the court," his eyes didn't leave Jade. "Is this your guard that I've heard about?"

                Reiner stepped to the side so Jade was in full view, "Yes, this is Jade, Jade this is Prince Jack." Jade bowed again at the recognition.

                "Your highness," she greeted.

                "Pleasure," he said and then looked to Reiner. "Did you hear about Louisa?"

                "Yes, I'm about to change and go see her. Mother has pardoned me from the festivities tonight."

                "Lucky you," he said. "Well I should be going. I have a meeting with father and the Master of Agriculture before dinner."

                "Of course, I'll see you later." Reiner stepped aside to let him pass and Jade bowed again when Jack left. Reiner watched his brother go then shook his head and resumed walking, Jade came up to walk beside him.

                "He seems stressed," Jade commented after a moment.

                "You would be too. He's got a lot he has to balance. Being king is not a job that is taken lightly after all."

                "I can imagine."

                When they returned back to Reiner's quarters Jade found that her clothes had been finished and delivered. Reiner came into Jade's room to look at them with her. Formal uniforms, casual attire, cloaks, gloves, sashes, everything Jade could possibly need was stuffed and organized neatly in her wardrobe. Someone had been around to clean too, the bed was freshly made and a small fire popped in the fireplace and the curtains had been pulled back. Jade grazed her fingers along the different fabrics, "These are amazing." The materials were expensive and beautifully sewn.

                "Well I would hope so, Master Francis works for the royal family after all. It would be an embarrassment if he we didn't have someone who was good at their job." Reiner reached out and rubbed a sleeve between his fingers, "Why don't you change? I was going to dress into something a little more comfortable before we go see my sister."

                Jade nodded, she was grateful to finally have more than two changes of clothes, and some that would be far more appropriate in the company of royalty. Reiner closed the door behind himself and Phantom went with him. Jade pulled off her clothes and looked through all the outfits until one caught her attention. It was a black uniform, there were three others that were the exact same but it was the style itself that caught her attention and held her breath in her throat.

                It was the style of a Protectors uniform, all black material and dark leather, a cloak that bunched around the neck and fell to one side, held by a plain leather buckle. Jade eyed the golden embroidery on the chest, it was no wolf to mark her as a Protector, but had been replaced with the emblem of a golden horse over the crest of the royal family; the golden lion marked the king and queen, the lion and the horse together marked the royal family, separately they distinguished the rankings within the family, the horse was given to the children of the king and queen.  Reiner would always be a prince unless by some unfortunate act all of his older siblings died, the golden horse would forever mark his banner. Jade knew that as years passed things could be added to his sigil, whatever girl he married for example might add her emblem to his.

                Jade ran her fingers gently over the gold thread, it was delicately done, and it showed great detail. Jade dressed and took care to her appearance. She strapped the katana to her side and buckled her knife to her hip. When she finished she looked at herself in the mirror. The sleeves were cut short so her lean arms were shown off and leather wrist guards were securely buckled on her wrists She looked like a Protector, she felt like a Protector. The clothes fit like a glove, they were neat and straight and perfect on her body. She was reminded of her training in Felkor, when they were schooled on their appearance, like a soldier they kept their clothes neat and patched and their boots polished. Jade looked every bit the part of a Protector, but the emblem was not of the wolf, and somehow it made Jade even prouder to be wearing it.

                When she emerged Reiner was waiting for her, he looked up when she entered and he evaluated her clothes. A smile rose on his lips, "It suit's you."

                Jade motioned to her clothes, "Was this your request?" He nodded wordlessly. "Thank you, really this means...I appreciate it."

                "You deserve nothing less Jade, I know you cannot bare the Protectors name and emblem but you deserved this honor at least. I hope my crest brings you some pride."

                Jade bowed to him, "It brings more."

                Reiner straightened. "You flatter me."

                "I mean it sincerely," Jade assured him straightening. "Truly, my people have turned their backs on me and you offered me all I've ever asked for; a chance. The golden wolf stands more of a memory of my parents and what they were, of where I come from, but the golden horse has become a symbol of hope and source of honor."

                Reiner took a step closer to Jade and smiled, "It is my honor to have offered you this chance Jade. So far is has been without doubt the best decision I have made in my lifetime."

                Jade swallowed. The air was suddenly tense. "You can't know that, not after a few days."

                Reiner's blue eyes struck Jade without warning, something twisted in her chest and she took a step back as he said, "I have a gut feeling."

                They found Louisa training in the courtyard of the barracks. Members of the Royal guard who were off duty lounged around relaxing and watched her shoot. Jade watched as coins exchanged hands and laughing erupted randomly throughout the conversation. It amazed Jade how different the men were when they were off duty. She tried to compare their open faces to the stony faces she regularly encountered throughout the palace.

                "Brother!" Louisa yelled out when she caught sight of Reiner. She swung the long bow over her body and ran to him. He grinned wildly and opened his arms to catch her. She ran into him at full speed and he scooped her up into a hug and spun her around. "Where have you been all week?" she demanded when he placed her down. Jade kept a smile at bay. She was young, but she was a spitting image of the queen, Jade knew she would have many suitors when she turned sixteen and got officially introduced to the court. She was wearing a tan casual dress and dark brown under-bust corset that was laced casually to give more freedom of movement. Her long golden hair was collected into a simple beautiful braid down her back, tied with a thick red ribbon and she wore leather wrist guards and soft boots on her feet.

                "It is my birthday week dear sister, the public demands my attention," he said dramatically, the grin was still plastered over his face. She rolled her eyes and sighed, she was a bit shorter than Jade but she her features were not as childish as Jade had expected. She looked like a young woman, not a young girl.

                "I don't see why I can't join in on the festivities. I'm almost sixteen anyway," she kicked at a pebble with her boot.

                "You're birthday is only a few months away dear sister, you'll be joining in on all the parties soon enough and then you'll be wishing for this time to yourself for the rest of your life. Enjoy the privacy while you have it." She huffed and nodded, it was obvious she had heard the same speech a dozen times and had learned not to argue. It was painfully obvious that she didn't agree.

                It was then Louisa noticed Jade and Phantom, her eyes widened. "Who is that?" she asked looking back to Reiner. Jade was standing a few feet off to the side.

                "This Jade, Jade this is Princess Louisa, my little sister," Louisa surprised Jade and curtsied to her. Jade clicked her heels together and bowed deeply in return.

                "It's a pleasure to meet you princess," Jade smiled.

                "Jade is my personal guard Louisa," Reiner clarified.

                "She's the one I've been hearing about?" she said surprised and looked at Jade more closely. Her eyes racked up and down Jades clothes and to Phantom and then back to Jade's face. "No one told me she was so pretty." Jade blushed at the comment and Reiner laughed out loud. She does remind me of Charles.  

                One of the guards called out to Louisa to get back to practice and everyone voiced their agreements. Louisa sighed and Reiner walked with her back to where she had been shooting her bow. A stuffed target had been set up on the other side of the courtyard. It was a good distance, reasonable but still challenging. "Why are you practicing out here anyway, aren't there more targets at the training yard?" Reiner asked and Louisa swung the bow off her body and pulled and arrow out of a bucket full of them.

                "The training yard is boring," Louisa said and nocked the arrow. "And besides, they are being loud on purpose and keep trying to distract me. I figured it would make for more realistic practice if I was in a more unfamiliar place and people were being loud." She pulled the bow back and released the arrow. Jade watched her form and then looked to see where the arrow had landed. It was a good mark in the chest of the dummy. There were several other arrows around the same spot and Jade remembered what Reiner had said about her being good with a bow. When she gets older she might give him a run for his money.

                The guards cheered and money exchanged hands again, she flashed a beautiful smile to the men and they encouraged her to keep going. Jade was warmed by their warm act toward Louisa. It seemed from what Jade heard that everyone doted on her. Even from the brief moment of knowing her Jade was warmed toward her.

                "You're shooting well," Reiner commented. "Are you nervous for tomorrow?"

                Louisa picked up another arrow and played with it a moment, then she shrugged. "Not really, I'm trying not to worry about it. I don't know who all exactly is competing and I don't know how good they are so I'm trying just to focus on myself and how well I know I can shoot. That's really all that matters anyway." She fired another arrow, Jade moved back and off to the side so she could have a better look. Louisa pulled another arrow from the bucket and fired again, the arrow landed with the others, clustered around the chest.

                "That's smart, mother said she was impressed with the argument you made with father. Said you reminded her of Charles, she also said we are bad influences on you."

               Louisa flashed him a smile. "Father knows how unfair I think everything is. I told him he was being unreasonable."

                "Well, it worked out didn't it?"

                "I suppose, I didn't want it to be a competition with the other highborn though. I wanted to compete against normal people."

                "They are normal people," Reiner reminded her and Louise gave him an annoyed look.

                "You know what I mean," she said exasperated.

                "I suppose I do," he conceded and placed a hand on her head. "You'll do great either way." Louisa shoved him and stuck her tongue out. "Hey, I heard you are escorting a mystery woman to the ball, fess up big brother you never said anything to me and no one seems to know anything. Even Charles shrugged when I saw him at breakfast this morning." Jade looked to Reiner, she was curious too, he hadn't said a word about any of it to her. Not that he would share his personal interests with her, but she figured if she would find out eventually. She was like his shadow after all.

                Reiner hesitated, "It's a surprise."

                Louisa leaned on her bow and frowned, "We don't keep secrets remember?"

                He shook his head, "This isn't a secret. It's a surprise."

                "You really won't tell me?"

                "I don't even know if she's going to go yet," Reiner admitted.  

                Louisa shook her head, "If she's smart she'll say yes...unless she's worried about Ms. Belle."

                "What have you heard?" Reiner asked worried. Louisa bent down and picked up another arrow and spun it in her fingers.

                "Just gossip," Louisa shrugged. "People seem to forget that even though I'm not introduced into the court I still have ears. I think I know more than most anyone in the court of what is going on."

                "That's why I'm asking you Louisa," Reiner said. "You know I value your thoughts."

                "What's the information worth to you?" she asked mischievously. "Maybe the name of the mystery girl?"

                Reiner groaned, "God you're going to be a nightmare when you're introduced into the court. You're already too clever for your own good."

                Louisa fired off the arrow she was spinning then looked back to Reiner. "Well I have the best older brothers and sister to learn from." Reiner rubbed his neck and closed his eyes.            

                "I can't give you her name, ask for something else," he said.

                Louisa shook her head, "I don't want anything else."

                Reiner groaned, "Fine, I'll go without the information then."

                Jade cleared her throat and they both turned to look at her like they had forgotten she was standing there. "I think I could offer you something." Reiner's eyebrows shot up surprised and Louisa looked entertained.

                "Well this is unexpected," Louisa smiled. Her eyes were bright and clever. Jade knew Reiner was right. She was going to be a sharp tool when she was introduced into court.  "What do you think you have to offer me?" Louisa asked, "You've only been in the court for a couple of days. I doubt you know something I don't."

                "I'm not offering words and gossip princess, but experience. You have a natural eye with the bow, but you lack the discipline needed to push your skills further. I believe I have can help you, I assume you don't have a teacher or they would be here helping you?" Louisa's eyes narrowed slightly, not menacing but rather weighing Jade's offer. Jade could tell she didn't want to admit to not having a teacher, that would give away her hand and it would be admitting to Jade that she needs help. But her silence was enough to confirm Jade's suspicion.

                Reiner however helped Jade out, "It's true. Father and mother won't assign a teacher to her, says it would take up other valuable time in her lessons. We've all tried to help her but none of us have special skill with the bow and none of us really has the time to tutor her properly anyway."

                Louisa let out a frustrated breath, "When I turn sixteen I'll have more say in the matter."

                "But your desire to shoot tomorrow, I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume it's your way of proving that this isn't just a waste of time?" Jade asked and Louisa begrudgingly nodded.

                "I'm given time to learn to protect myself should something unfortunate ever happen. I have my lessons with the Master of Arms but I love the bow the most. Since I won't likely ever fight in a battle my father sees no point in me learning how to use it. I say the more skills I have the better, who knows, I could be kidnapped one day and if I get my hands on a bow it could mean life or death. Besides, I really enjoy it. Mother has her garden and flowers, Reiner is the swordsman, Garrett enjoys his clever board games. Father has his falcons. Everyone has their hobbies, why can't this be mine?"      

                Jade smiled, recognizing a well practice argument. She wondered if it was the same of what she had said when she argued to shoot in the tournament. "Well I believe I can help you then," Jade told her. "The bow has saved my life multiple times. It would be my honor to teach you what I can. In return you will tell Reiner what he wants to know."

                Louisa held the bow out to Jade, "Show me first that you're actually someone worth learning from." Jade took the bow and Phantom sat down watching them with interest. Jade pushed her cloak so it fell behind her and stepped up to the bucket and plucked an arrow out. It wasn't terribly sharp, a practice arrow meant for target practice, not killing something.

                The group of off duty guards got louder and Jade glanced over to see bets being exchanged enthusiastically. She noticed one of the members run off quickly. Jade nocked the arrow, lifted the bow, and pulled the string taut so it rested against her cheek. The bow was meant for a youth, and it felt light in her hands and it was almost too easy to pull to a full draw. Jade adjusted her stance, aimed down the shaft of the arrow, and released her breath the same time she loosed the arrow. 

                It sunk into the head of the dummy and Jade lowered the bow and turned to Louisa. She seemed pleased and grinned at Jade, but before she could say anything one of the guards booed her from where they sat. Jade turned, more men had showed up to watch, and she noticed coins exchange hands. "Let's see you do that with a real bow!" One of them called out and the others added their voices in agreement. Jade looked to Reiner, and he nodded his permission, she saw the curiosity behind his eyes. He knew she could handle a sword, but he hadn't seen her shoot before.

                "Alright, fetch me one then," Jade called back to them and Louisa took her bow from Jade. The bets were growing from what Jade overheard and Reiner walked over to them, Phantom followed while Jade stood next to Louisa. She couldn't hear what was said but the men laughed and to Jade's surprise he added his own money to the bets. Jade found it interesting that the Royal Guard could be so casual. Someone arrive with a long bow, it was well crafted and Jade tugged on the string experimentally. Reiner stood with the other men and Louisa took a step back while Jade picked up an arrow and fit it against the string.

                The bow was sturdy and Jade struggled for only a moment to pull it to a full draw and locked her shoulder. Her back muscles protested but she focused on her breathing and took aim. The bowstring sung when Jade released and the arrow slammed into the dummy's head and knocked it of its makeshift stand. It clattered against the cobblestone and a few of Louisa's previous arrows snapped when they hit the ground.

                There was silence a moment and then someone cheered and excited chatter rose from the men as money passed hands. Jade watched as most all of it went to Reiner. Louisa went to the fallen target and Jade followed. Her last shot had driven almost all the way through the head of the target. The fletching was torn from the bowstring. The arrow had been made for a less powerful bow, Jade was lucky it hadn't shattered in her face.

                Louisa examined Jade's shots for a moment then looked up at her with a large smile. "Can you teach me to shoot like that?"

                Jade smiled in return, "I can try."

                The practice felt good to Jade. It had been a while since she had held a bow in her hands and had the chance just to shoot without the intent to harm something or to save her life. Reiner watched with interest while Jade worked with Louisa to hone her skill. Jade hadn't lied, she had a natural talent for feeling where the arrow needed to go. With the daylight they had left Jade helped Louisa keep the power behind her shots.

                "You're limited right now with the size of your bow; it only has so much power."

                "I'm not strong enough for anything else," Louisa complained.

                "I know that, which is why you need to make the most of what you have. You're losing power right now with how you're shooting. I guarantee the targets will be at different distances and you need to be able to have enough power to get the arrow there. You're fine with closer targets right now, and your aim is alright, but it's the distance that I'm worried about." Jade came up to Louisa and adjusted her arms. "You can lock your arm back once you have it drawn, it makes it easier to steady your shot before you release, gives you a moment more to aim without losing all your energy." Louisa released the arrow and Jade shook her head.

                "You're still not releasing the right way," Jade handed her another arrow and Louisa took it. Jade knew she was frustrated with herself for not catching on immediately.

                "It's getting dark," Reiner said looking at the sky. Lanterns and torches were lit along the courtyard and most of the guards had disappeared.

                "There's still enough to see by for a little while longer," Louisa said stubbornly. "Just a few more shots."

                She pulled the arrow back and Jade stepped up behind Louisa and put her hand against Louisa's draw hand. "Put the string to your cheek," Jade told her again. "When you release the arrow your hand shouldn't move, that's what will give you the power. You have to let it snap forward instead of easing it to a release. Don't be afraid of the string or the bow, that's what your wrist guards are for. If the string snaps forward you'll still be safe, alright?" Jade stepped back and Louisa focused. Jade watched her release, it was much improved and the arrow embedded deeper into the target than it had before.

                "Much better," Jade encouraged.

"I felt it the difference that time, thank you!" Louisa threw an arm around Jade. Surprised by the affection Jade didn't hug back and Louisa ran off to fetch the arrows from the target. Reiner stepped in closer.

"I appreciate this," Reiner said. Phantom was laying down a few feet away, he'd grown bored.

"You need the information," Jade shrugged.

"No, the information isn't important. A perk sure, but this means a lot to Louisa that you would train her. I've never seen a Felkorian share their training or teach anyone before. Thatcher spares with Charles, but he never says a word."

Jade shrugged, "I'm not the average Felkorian, but I also don't see this as one of their secrets. I was trained to use a bow but most of my abilities have come from my own experiences. The basics can be taught but until you have to make the decision to shoot something living it never feels real. I've gotten better with the bow because I've had to make real time decisions, no one can teach you better than your own instinct."

"Then for Louisa's sake I hope she never finds herself in that position."

"Neither do I," Jade agreed and together they watched Louisa fire arrows into the dummy.

After Louisa's target practice they all ate dinner together in a private dining room. Louisa made it very clear to Reiner that she approved of Jade and that if he decided not to want her as a person guard she would happily take her off his hands. She also shared with Reiner what rumors and gossip she had heard around the court about Ms. Belle. Apparently she wasn't happy with Reiner and the secret girl he planned to attend the ball with.

 "She's convinced that you are going to marry her, and while she spreads rumors and threats about your mystery woman she flaunts the fact that you've promised the first dance to her." Reiner rubbed his temples as if he felt a headache coming on.

"I haven't given her any encouragement," Reiner assured his little sister.

"Girls don't need encouragement, so long as you aren't discouraging she's going to keep at you." Reiner groaned and Louisa flashed Jade a quick grin. She wasn't worried about it, so Jade thought maybe it wasn't as big as Reiner was making it out to be.

"Besides, if you did marry her I wouldn't forgive you and nor would Charles. She talks down to me like I'm a small child, like I'm not about to be introduced to court. I swear when I turn sixteen she's going to regret if she ever crosses paths with me. She sugars me like she'll gain my favor and in return will gain your affection." Louisa points a spoon threateningly. "She annoys Charles too, she tries to play his board games with him but she doesn't take it seriously, and you know how passionate Charles is about his games. If she sees something she wants she doesn't care who she burns to get it, I don't understand why mother can't just banish her from the court. She obsessive."

"You know it's not that simple Louisa," Reiner said smiling as his sister's passion. "But I won't marry her, I promise you that. Even if comes to having to be rude to her I will, you know I will."

Louisa huffed, "You know mom and dad wouldn't approve of that. The court has rules and they feel the repercussions of our actions the most." The life of a prince and princess, trained carefully in the court so they don't burden their parents. Everything is done quietly and cleverly.  Jade was grateful she didn't have the burden of being the daughter of a king or queen. A small stab of pain came to Jade's chest, her father might have been a king to his people had he lived long enough to implement his plans for Felkor.

Reiner shrugged, "Then I'll leave the court. It's about time I went back to my own home anyway. My estate must be in shambles by now." He took a drink from his wine glass and Louisa's eyebrow's shot up.

"You're leaving?" Jade was also surprised, she knew all the children owned land and most had their own homes and lives away from the palace and the Capital. Some of the older son's had estates and land in other provinces that they were in charge of. Jade wondered what kind of home Reiner had, she tried to imagine him in his own house and had a hard time conjuring up a picture.

Reiner shrugged, "I can't stay here forever."

Louisa frowned, "Will Charles go as well?"

"I'm not sure what his plans are, you know I'll visit and write to you as much as I possibly can Louisa. Besides, a date hasn't been set yet, it's still tentative. You know this was coming eventually."

She nodded her head and Jade watched Reiner's face but he didn't show his emotions. He's hiding something, there's more he's not telling her. "I know, I've just gotten used to having you around...do you think mother and father would let me come visit? You know, after I turn sixteen?"

Reiner smiled, "I would love that. I'm sure we could convince them somehow, but let's not worry about it now alright?"

Louisa nodded, "Will you introduce me to the girl if she comes to ball? I'd like to see if I'll approve of her."

Reiner split a grin, "Oh I already know you'll approve. Trust me on that." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 5.2K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
1M 90.8K 51
Claire understand that to defeat Kane, she must master her magic. That means journeying deep within the forest, all the way to Esterpine, to study wi...
1.4K 54 37
Jade's main priority is family, so when her family is broken to bits by a ghost from the past, she chooses to run. Running isn't easy. She has a bipo...
159K 6.3K 17
Destiny is not guaranteed. It is not written. It is earned. It is lived. Jade was born to fight, to protect, and to lead. She was born of a bloodline...