The Twelfth Moon || ✔️

By katotjjx

|| FEATURED on the official @werewolf, @fantasy, @highfantasy, @darkfantasy, @mythandlegend, @storiesundisco... More

A/N and CW/TW
Pronunciation Guide
Prologue
1. The Dancing Wolf
2. The Letter
3. The Central Building
4. Farewell
5. On The Road
6. The Castle In The Middle
7. Beauty In Broken Things
8. The Ascension pt. 1
9. The Ascension pt. 2
10. The Transformation
11. No Longer Fire Moon
12. Morning Glory
13. The Ride
14. The Ride pt. 2
15. She Belongs To Me
16. The Manor
17. The Tattoo
18. Retribution
19. Where Do Your Allegiances Lie?
20. Lesson One
21. The Plan
22. Drinking Games
23. Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire
24. A Quick Learner
25. The Temple Of Sariranyasa
26. Lonely Days
27. Friend Or Foe
28. A Burning Surprise
29. The Capture
30. Benjamin's Letter
31. A Dying Man's Wish
32. Dexter's Execution
33. Breaking Down And Brokenness
34. Preparations
35. The Night Of The Wolf Moon
36. The Morning After
37. Muffled Whispers
38. The Shadowed Death
39. Rolling Tongues
41. I Spy, I Spy...
42. A Highly Acclaimed Visitor
43. A Pawn Or A Weapon?
44. The Drunken Escapade
45. Everything Blue
46. Leaving, Going, Gone
47. Running Free
48. Swift Moon pt. 1
49. Swift Moon pt. 2
50. Swift Moon pt. 3
51. Swift Moon pt. 4
52. Swift Moon pt. 5
53. Swift Moon pt. 6
54. Swift Moon pt. 7
55. Young Moon pt. 1
56. Young Moon pt. 2
57. Young Moon pt. 3
58. Strong Moon pt. 1
59. Strong Moon pt. 2
60. Strong Moon pt. 3
61. The Arrival
62. Apicya
63. Training
64. Passing Days
65. The Way Back Home
66. Rahas
67. Negotiations
68. Benjamin
69. The Resistance
70. Beginnings And Endings
71. The Battle pt. 1
72. The Battle pt. 2
73. The Betrayal
74. The Aftermath
75. The Finale
A/N
Book 2
Book 2 - sneak peek

40. The Uncovering

426 37 44
By katotjjx

Feytan had been loading me with lots of different exercises again this morning. Most of them, I knew already. I was quite skilled at them too, having trained them daily.

The progress I'd made since I first arrived here, was immense.

"You'll be ready soon to start one on one combat training," Feytan said. "Both with hand and with sword."

"Sword?"

Feytan pulled his hair back in a bun, wrapping a tie around it to keep it in place. Why he only did this after today's training, was a slight mystery to me. Then again, he'd mostly ordered me around and he hadn't trained much himself. "Yes. Not all the fighting is done by beating each other up, or in our wolven form."

I followed him to the edge of the clearing, indicating that today's training was finished. I reached for my flask of water as I spoke. "But aren't we strongest in our wolven form? Why would we fight as humans?"

"Some prefer it that way. Besides, weapons humans can wield, can be quite useful in combat. Humans can wear shields, while wolves are more open and vulnerable. It's usually only the most skilled that fight in their wolven form."

"So when the war comes, I'll be using a sword?" I asked.

"I'm not sure you'll be ready to fight yet when the war comes."

I had some mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I never wanted to set foot in Fire Moon territory ever again. Neither did I want to face any of my previous pack members. But on the other hand, I wanted to fight back. I wanted to help destroy the demons that lingered in my past. "Is it coming that soon?"

Feytan looked up at me, his brown eyes locking on mine. "It's not soon for us, Sari. We've been preparing for this for years. And even if it's still another few cycles, we won't get you war ready in that time. Not to be able to fight against wolves who've been training their entire lives."

"But what if I have Agni's powers? Won't I be useful then?" I asked as I took another sip of my water.

A point of light briefly flickered in Feytan's eyes before he answered, intensifying its brown color. "I'm sorry, Sari. But so far you've shown no signs of possessing Agni's gift. I don't think that that's the case."

Yet again, I had mixed feelings. I'd gotten my hopes up the last few days, imagining myself as a powerful wolf, a valuable asset to this pack. But then again, did I truly want Agni's gift and carry Fire Moon with me for the rest of my life? I felt the tiniest bit of relief at Feytan's revelation. But it didn't weigh up against the disappointment. "But then, why did Beckett starve me all those years? Why keep me on the brink of death? He had to have had an ulterior motive. He had to."

Even knowing his twisted, evil mind, I'd often thought about why he'd go to all these lengths to torture me. Would he really do all those things he did, just because I was born on the wrong night? Would that truly be sufficient reason for the sheer hate I'd received? In Spitta, I never let myself truly think about it. I couldn't, not when my survival was at stake. But in Rahas, I had more and more time and safety to start questioning my past. And a lot of questions were popping up.

"I don't know, Sari," Feytan shrugged. "I couldn't imagine doing what he did, for the reasons he did. But it's Beckett we're talking about. He's not known for being an empathetic and forgiving wolf."

"Oh, look at your faces. Looks like I arrived at just the right time!" I suddenly heard from behind us. I turned around, recognizing the warm, husky voice, to find green eyes already staring at me.

I rolled my eyes, the seriousness of the previous topic of conversation having disappeared. "Hello, Jerr."

"I hope your training went better than whatever it was you were talking about," he joked as he came to stand next to me.

"Training went well, as always," Feytan confirmed.

He often repeated it, but the affirmation felt good every time I heard it. It also took me a few weeks before I started believing it, too.

"I'm glad to hear," Jerr replied, his eyes glimmering as he looked at me. But as he squinted his eyes shortly after, I realized that was only the Sun's reflection dancing in his pools of green. "Aven has requested to speak with you."

I sighed, not even bothering to ask him when. If Aven had requested it, and Jerr was here now, it meant Aven wanted to talk to me, now. I also didn't bother asking Jerr what Aven wanted to talk about, knowing he wouldn't spill the beans, given he would never spoil a surprise. "Let's go, then," I breathed, my lungs still lightly recovering from the last round of exercises.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Sari," Feytan said as Jerr and I made our way back to the Manor.

"It's a date," I jokingly replied. And then I fell into step next to Jerr, who'd been walking a few steps ahead already.

"I heard you could start combat training soon," Jerr said, as he guided us in the direction of the Manor.

"Yes," I confirmed. "I'm quite nervous about it actually."

"Why?" His head turned to the side, facing me, as he asked his question.

"Why?" I scoffed. "Have you seen Feytan? He's blessed by Ayatti while I'm... Unblessed."

"He wouldn't go all Strong Moon on you," Jerr winked. "Unless you'd chop off his hair in his sleep. I tried it once, wouldn't recommend it."

I raised my eyebrow at his confession. "You cut off Feytan's hair while he was sleeping?"

Jerr laughed. "No, I tried. I lost a drunken dare in a bar. Of course, a strong and vigilant wolf like him, and a wolf as drunk as I was... Feytan woke up as soon as I entered his room. He'd waited until I stood at his bedside with my scissors, probably holding off to see what I was planning."

"By the Moons, you and your idiotic ideas. What did he do?"

"Let's just say I saw double the amount of stars for the rest of the night. And the ales had nothing to do with that."

I tried suppressing a laugh, but failed, as I pictured a drunken Jerr getting beaten up by Feytan. "So much for the comradery."

Jerr shrugged his shoulders. "Eh, no one can stay mad at me for too long."

That was true. Even I had tried it - and failed miserably. I hadn't even remembered how long I'd stayed angry at him on the night of the Wolf Moon. Which indicated it couldn't have been that long.

"Aven's upstairs," Jerr said as we walked through the Manor's front doors. "I'll accompany you up."

"Thanks," I replied, the nerves of meeting with my Alpha catching up with me. The slight tremble in my breath probably gave it away to Jerr, which was why he'd offered to go up with me.

We didn't talk on the stairs, I was too busy gathering myself to indulge in some chatter with Jerr.

We finally arrived on the third floor, where Jerr took me to the same room where I'd also been the last two times.

I'd been here surprisingly often, especially given the third floor usually didn't welcome any lower pack members. And I was as low as it could get.

Aven mumbled for me to enter after Jerr knocked. He wished me a silent good luck as he opened the door for me, and then made his way down again. Leaving me alone with the silver-eyed menace.

I made sure to walk in with big steps - conveying confidence and strength. Even though I knew that he could see right through it, the second his gaze locked on me.

Aven was seated behind his desk, the wooden surface in front of him covered in paperwork. He'd just taken one of his hands out of his ruffled, night black hair.

Whatever it was he wanted to talk about, it must be important, he seemed to be very busy.

"Sit down, young wolf," he ordered me.

The sharp deepness of his voice made sure there was no bone in my body that thought about disobeying even his simplest orders. As soon as I was seated, Aven commenced with his questioning - presumably the reason why he'd asked for me.

"How are you adapting in Rahas so far?"

Why would he ask me that? Was he trying to find a reason to send me away? "It's good," I answered carefully. "Rahas is a lovely city."

"Hmm." His face looked stern, and his voice sounded disinterested. "I heard you've found a job, as well."

"That is correct," I nodded. "I am saving up the coin I earn." I wasn't sure if it was wise of me to say that,  but I didn't want to convey that I wasn't trying anything at all to get my life here on track.

"Good," he said, his voice cold. His eyes were dull, even if the silver of them was fierce. The sharpness of his face, his cheekbones, his mouth, everything added to that cold attitude he held towards me. But I'd rather have him intimidating and uncaring, than angry and hateful.

"Jerr told me that you're the one who heard what Ammon had to say, during your work hours."

"That is correct as well," I nodded.

"Good," he repeated, his tone not a degree warmer. "Have you told anyone about what you heard?"

"No, only Jerr," I answered, shaking my head.

"Perfect. Let's keep it that way." His silver eyes focused on mine as he carried out that last order, drilling my soul into the ground.

I could only simply nod as my breath got stuck in my throat, words failed me. His lip lightly curled upwards, probably at the realization of the power he held over me.

"The next time you hear something you find suspicious, I'd rather have you come straight to me. You should have done that this time, too."

"I'm sorry, Aven," I said, immediately cursing myself for having used his name. But like in the Castle, he didn't seem to care.

"Now that that's out of the way," he continued, barely acknowledging my apology, "do you understand what you heard that night?"

"Not fully, no," I admitted. "I suspect I'd need to be more worried about the wolves I heard than about the Shadowed Death, but that's about all I know."

"Your suspicions would be correct," Aven affirmed. He slowly got up from his chair, and made his way over to my side of the desk, where he leaned back against the table, straight in front of me. His scent seeped into me - salty and citrusy. I couldn't help but gulp at the proximity he'd placed himself. I could sense his powers, too. A sudden rush of naked coldness swept over me, chilling me to my very core. My body was trying to shut down, to find cover for the danger that had just come closer. My instincts told me to run, sensing the death taken flesh in front of me.

"It might be best if I explained just exactly what you heard. So next time, you'll be able to listen more focused for important bits. If there comes a next time," he clarified.

Once again, my throat blocked and I could only perform a small nod, but that was enough for Aven to begin.

"The wolves you saw are named Ammon, Mich and Dess. They're all Death Moon born and raised, although none of them originate from Rahas. They were spies, working for Beckett. And you uncovered them. And thanks to your information, Jerr was able to get to them in time to uncover even more of them. We caught ten more yesterday evening alone. Most of them fled, others were already taken by something else."

The Shadowed Death, I assumed. But I didn't dare interrupt him to ask.

"You saw what happened to Ammon yesterday. The same fate will fall upon the others tonight as well. But as far as we know, this group was the largest network of Beckett's spies here, in Rahas. He kept his groups of spies separated from each other, so that if we'd catch one, we wouldn't be able to find all of them. Clever Alpha, I must say."

Aven leaned forward, closing the small space that was left between us. He breathed onto my cheeks as he continued talking. "Now, if you were working for Beckett as well, why would you sell out his biggest asset here?"

"I don't-"

Aven shushed me before I could finish my sentence. "I've thought about it. There are a few possibilities. One, Beckett is planning something big and it is happening soon, so he doesn't need his spies anymore. He, however, still needs his confidante, and he needs you to get close to me. Selling out as many spies as you just did, certainly would be a good way to win over my trust.

"Two, you really do not work for Beckett, and you have been truthful about your intentions all along. Although Jerr and Feytan surely believe that, which makes me inclined to follow their opinion, I'm still not entirely convinced about your true allegiances.

"Which leads me to three. There's another enemy, one we're not yet aware of. But I wouldn't know who would be masterminded enough to play Beckett, Jerr and myself. And all the other powerful wolves in both packs. So that leaves me to take option two as the most likely one."

After he stayed silent for a short while, and I was sure he was finished talking, I gathered my courage and answered his theories. "I have been nothing but truthful," I confirmed. "I don't know what exactly you need of me to prove my allegiance to Death Moon, but I'm willing to do almost anything it takes."

"Almost?" Aven raised his eyebrow, his silver flames piercing me through and through.

Sun burn me. "There are certain things you could ask of no one. Things Beckett could ask of me," I said, not going into any specifics. I cursed myself again for once more bringing up a comparison to Beckett, but much to my surprise, my answer seemed to be sufficient.

"Well then, you can start by reporting directly to me anytime you hear anything remotely interesting. Oh, and maybe tonight, try your best not to look so disgusted at the punishment I will be dealing out. I do not make a public statement like that, so my pack members can look away."

"Understood," I answered shortly. Already dreading that tonight, I'd have to watch some horrid things. And I sensed that Aven would watch me, so looking away would not be an option.

"Okay. Then you are dismissed," he ordered, as he left my personal space, and returned to his chair at the other side of the desk.

"What about the Shadowed Death?" I dared ask, when I'd reached the door of his study.

"That, I'm afraid, I cannot say." And then his hand waved me away, as he dug himself back into his paperwork.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

651K 34.1K 36
[IMPORTANT SEQUEL ALERT: Book #2 of 'The Lost One' Series] Love. That's what they had. He loved her and she loved him. Kaiden had never been as pro...
171K 4.8K 35
Highest Ranking ~^~ #1 in DarkMagic ; 14/05/2019 #2 in DarkMagic ; 13/05/2019 #72 in Werewolf ; 23/09/2017 #79 in Werewolf ; 07/1/2018 #16 in Element...
9K 360 21
Welcome back! If you haven't read My Sister's Boyfriend, GO BACK (but not before following and adding this to your library) and CATCH UP! Wyd?!? ***...
154K 9K 34
• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Splendiferous Awards May 2021 • Summary • ...