Melody of the Rain

By Wolfyy-9

All Rainkit has ever wanted is to serve SnowClan in the best ways possible. She's loyal and determined, two o... More

~~ Quick Note ~~
Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Updated Allegiances (As of Ch. 13)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 9

12 2 0
By Wolfyy-9

Every leaf-bare, SnowClan held its annual Frost Festival. Everyone had been buzzing with excitement for the last several days as preparations were made. Rainpaw hadn't experienced the festival yet, but she couldn't wait. Nearly every patrol had been dedicated to hunting for the last two days, which meant that the fresh-kill pile was full. Rainpaw was sharing prey with Amberpaw and Skypaw near the apprentices' den.

"Are you excited?" Rainpaw asked between bites, "I know I am!" Amberpaw nodded. "Yeah! It's gonna be so fun!" Skypaw tilted his head. "I'm confused. What exactly is the Frost Festival?" Rainpaw shrugged. "We were born right after the last one, so we haven't been able to experience it yet. But Roseheart said that it's a big celebration that only SnowClan celebrates because we thrive in the cold, snowy weather."

Skypaw shook his head. "I figured that much out, but do you know what happens? I thought someone said there was a ceremony... or something?" Rainpaw shrugged. "Sort of. Once we finish patrolling for the day, Snowstar will dismiss everyone from duties and hold a clan meeting. She will send every able-bodied cat out to find a gift for someone they really care about." The tortoiseshell shuffled her paws nervously. "Roseheart said she and Crowflight became mates at a Frost Festival. It's not just for mates though. You can give a gift to a friend or family member too. At moonhigh, everyone gathers together and exchanges their gifts. After that, we eat and share tongues before bedtime. Normal duties resume the next day."

"Amberpaw!" The three cats looked up as Smokepelt trotted over. "We're going on a border patrol with Heatherdust and Hollypaw." Amberpaw's face lit up. "Great! See you guys later!" Rainpaw watched as he trotted away and then turned back to Skypaw. The gray tom smirked at her. "So... Is this tradition just for SnowClan cats?"

Wait, does he want to participate? 

Rainpaw blushed. "Um..." Her words escaped her and Skypaw's signature cocky grin flashed across his face. Great StarClan, get ahold of yourself Rainpaw! The tortoiseshell rolled her eyes and looked away. "I mean, SnowClan is the only clan to celebrate it, but there's no rule that says other cats can't participate, so I don't see why not." Skypaw's amber eyes lit up mischievously. Before he could reply, Snowstar's yowl echoed across the camp. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join me beneath the SnowRock for a clan meeting!"

The white she-cat was sitting on the SnowRock, waiting patiently. Rainpaw padded over, settling down in the middle of the crowd next to Hollypaw and Creekpaw. Once everyone arrived, Snowstar raised her tail for silence. "SnowClan, it's time for our leaf-bare Frost Festival! It's a time of truce and friendship. It's a day respected, but not celebrated, by the other clans." She turned her icy blue gaze on Skypaw, who had sat down next to Creekpaw. "Of course, if a cat from another clan would like to participate, they are always welcome." Skypaw dipped his head respectfully. "Thank you Snowstar."

Snowstar gave him a nod, turning to the group of apprentices. "For some of us, this is the first Frost Festival we can participate in. I know you're all very excited." Rainpaw grinned. Sharkpaw and Thunderpaw were exchanging excited whispers and a few apprentices cheered. Snowstar let out an amused purr. "Settle down, there's plenty of time to chat when I've finished!" Sharkpaw gave the white she-cat a sheepish smile. "Heh, sorry," he mewed.

"Anyways," continued Snowstar, "I will briefly go over today's activities so that every cat knows what will be going on. Once this meeting is over, you're all dismissed from duties for the rest of the day. Then you have the opportunity to go out and find a gift for another cat. It's your gift and your choice of who to give it to. It can be a friend, mate, kin, or whichever you choose. You don't have to exchange a gift if you don't want to, but I highly encourage everyone to participate! Once you've found your gift, come back to camp and wait. Once everyone has returned, we will have a gift exchange and end the night by eating together and sharing tongues. Any questions?" No one responded, so Snowstar flicked her tail. "Then you're all dismissed to go find your gifts! Be back at camp by dusk!"

Everyone stood up and left the camp in a hurry. Rainpaw pushed her way through the bustling cats and exited camp. She was about to head towards the hot spring cave when she felt a tap on her shoulder. Amberpaw was standing behind her looking rather uncomfortable, which was strange for him. "What's up?" she asked, tilting her head. Her brother shuffled his paws. "I have a gift idea, but I want to see what you think before I give it away." Rainpaw purred in amusement and brushed her flank against his. "Of course I'll help. Lead the way!"

The russet tom led her to a holly bush that was almost perfectly preserved in frost. Rainpaw smirked at him. "Hollypaw will love it." Her brother looked like he wanted to bury his head in a pile of snow and melt away. "Er...thanks. I hope so." The tortoiseshell flicked his ear with her tail. "Hey, it's just me. Nothing to be embarrassed about!" Amberpaw shrugged. "Can you help me get a branch off? The whole bush would be impossible to carry!" Rainpaw purred and helped him break off a section, careful not to disturb the layer of frost. "Thanks," he mewed, picking up the branch. She nodded and gestured towards the camp. "You should take that back. I still have to find my gift." Amberpaw nodded gingerly, trying not to shake the holly branch. "Good luck."

Rainpaw headed in the opposite direction. She eventually made it to the cave with the hot spring and looked around for something to give as a gift. A sparkling object in the water caught her eye. She waded in and dove under the surface to grab it in her jaws. When the tortoiseshell resurfaced, she swam back to shore and dropped the object on the cave floor. It was a rock of some sort. All sorts of colors sparkled when the light hit it the right way. It was perfect.

She carried her gift back to camp, growing more and more excited. When she arrived, she immediately saw that Amberpaw had fallen asleep next to his holly branch. He'd been one of the first back at camp with a gift. Apparently waiting meant a good chance for a nap. Rainpaw chuckled and settled down next to him. He stirred as her fur brushed his, but he didn't wake up.

Rainpaw saw that many other cats had gotten back already, Skypaw being one of them. She met his eye, and he flashed her a grin. Eventually every cat returned with a gift. Creekpaw was the last one back. Snowstar jumped onto the SnowRock again. "Welcome back everyone! I trust you're all satisfied with the gift you've chosen?" Every cat nodded eagerly. Rainpaw couldn't wait. Snowstar purred. "Wonderful. Let the gift giving begin!"

Rainpaw looked back over at Skypaw. He was still watching her curiously. She blushed and began to pad towards him but a light touch on her shoulder made her pause. She turned and came face-to-face with Creekpaw. He was holding a feather in his mouth. He set it down in front of her and licked his chest fur self-consciously. "Um, this is for you. I hope you like it."

Rainpaw hadn't expected to get a gift from anyone, so she stared at it in surprise. The feather was beautiful. It was a rich golden-brown color with black and brown stripes at the tip. The underside was white, and it was very soft. She touched it gently with a paw. "Wow, I don't even know what to say. Thank you, Creekpaw. I love it." The light brown tabby tom gave her a small smile. "You're welcome. I'm glad we're friends," he mewed, "I want you to be happy, always." Rainpaw saw his hazel eyes land on the rock she was carrying and then flick over towards Skypaw. He dipped his head in understanding. "I hope he likes it," he mewed. Was there a strain in his voice? Rainpaw just smiled at him. "Me too."

Creekpaw dipped away and Rainpaw paused, going over his words for a few moments, before resuming her path towards Skypaw. The gray tom was watching her carefully. She dropped the rock at his paws. "I found this at the hot spring. I thought it would remind you of your first time swimming," she teased. Skypaw grinned. "Thanks. It's really pretty." Rainpaw nodded, ears burning. Skypaw leaned in towards her. "I have something for you too," he mewed, his breath tickling her ear. She looked at him in surprise. "You do?" The gray tom nodded, "Yeah, but it's a surprise." His amber eyes sparkled mischievously. "I'll meet you outside camp in a few minutes, okay?" Rainpaw nodded and watched his gray pelt disappear through the camp entrance. Her belly was fizzing with excitement. I wonder what he got for me! 

Then she remembered the feather from Creekpaw. She gently picked it up and took it back to her nest, hiding the feather in the moss. Satisfied that it would be safe, she padded out of the den and joined Skypaw outside of camp. He led her towards a rather familiar area near camp and she gasped in surprise when she saw his gift.

They were standing in front of her favorite tree. The willow's branches were encrusted in a thin, sparkling layer of frost. The moonlight beamed off of the sparkling surface of the tree and enveloped Rainpaw and Skypaw in a gentle, beautiful light. It was truly breathtaking.

She turned and stared at Skypaw in awe. "How-" Skypaw chuckled. "I heard from Amberpaw that you liked to go to a certain tree to nap or think. So, I followed you one day and figured out that this was it. When you explained SnowClan's Frost Festival to me, I knew exactly what gift to give you. Do you like it?"

For a few moments, Rainpaw didn't know what to say. There weren't really any words. She let out a purr and affectionately pressed up against him. "I love it!" When she realized what she'd just done, she quickly jolted away. "Er... sorry," she mewed, flattening her ears in embarrassment.

Skypaw tilted his head and leaned closer, making their pelts touch again. "Why did you pull away?" She didn't respond, blushing, and the gray tom smirked. "What? Do I make you nervous?" Rainpaw shook out her pelt. "We should probably get back to camp." Skypaw shrugged and stood up next to her. "If you say so."

As they made their way back, Rainpaw's ears felt like they were on fire. Her heart was racing. How could I be so vulnerable with him? He's not my clanmate! He shouldn't be my friend or anything else either. I would be risking everything if I keep feeling this way about him! Skypaw easily kept pace with her. She noticed that he was hardly limping anymore. The gray tom shot her his signature cocky grin when he caught her staring. Was she imagining him brushing his pelt against hers again? She looked away and reluctantly pulled herself away from his touch, padding slightly ahead of him for the remainder of their walk back.

When they made it to camp, Rainpaw saw Amberpaw, Hollypaw, and Creekpaw sharing prey. She beckoned Skypaw to follow and they padded over to the three other apprentices. Rainpaw settled in-between her brother and Creekpaw, trying not to seem suspicious. Skypaw seemed to catch onto her plan and sat next to Hollypaw. Rainpaw looked at Amberpaw, but he and Hollypaw were deep in conversation. They were sitting much closer together than normal. Wow, she must have loved his gift. I'll bet she's liked him back this whole time! They're going to be really cute together.

Creekpaw nudged her. "Do you want to finish my mouse? I'm full." The tortoiseshell smiled at him. "Sure, thanks!" She scarfed down the mouse in a few bites. I was hungrier than I thought! Creekpaw purred in amusement. "Tasty?" Rainpaw wrinkled her nose at him and nodded. "Yes. Thanks for sharing with me." The light brown tabby nodded. "Not a problem! Although prey definitely tastes better when you catch it yourself and it's not half-frozen!" Rainpaw laughed at that. Creekpaw had always been kind and gentle, but Rainpaw appreciated when he let his humorous side show.

She stole a glance at Skypaw and was surprised to see him glaring at Creekpaw. His annoyed expression disappeared in an instant when he saw her look at him, replaced by his normal cocky smile. Rainpaw stared at him in surprise. Oh my goodness, he's jealous!  Skypaw stood up and shook out his pelt. "Well, it's been fun, but I'm getting tired. Goodnight everyone." The other apprentices said goodnight to him as well and Rainpaw watched the gray tom pad away, wishing she could follow.

Hollypaw excused herself as well and disappeared into the apprentices' den nearby. Rainpaw leaned over to Amberpaw. "You two seem awfully close," she teased, giving him a playful nudge. Amberpaw ducked his head. "Yeah, I guess she likes me back! She loved my gift." Rainpaw purred, happy for her brother. Creekpaw smiled at Amberpaw too. "That's awesome," he purred. Then he turned his attention to Rainpaw. "We should try to go hunting together soon," he mewed. The tortoiseshell she-cat nodded. "Absolutely, we haven't gotten to hang out much lately." Creekpaw's hazel gaze lit up. "Awesome, I can't wait."

Rainpaw smiled back before yawning. "Wow, I didn't realize how tired I was until now. I'm off to sleep." The two toms nodded. "Us too," mewed Amberpaw. The three apprentices padded into the den together, settling down in their own nests. As Rainpaw settled into her nest, she caught a glimpse of Amberpaw and Hollypaw. The fluffy black she-cat had pushed her nest closer to his and they were laying back-to-back. It was very cute. Rainpaw purred happily. She snuggled deeper into the moss and felt Creekpaw's feather brush against her cheek. 

Rainpaw had gotten the most beautiful gift from Skypaw and her brother's crush liked him back. Her closest friend had shown how much he cared about her. It seemed the pieces were falling into place one by one. It was nice to feel appreciated. One thing was for sure, the Frost Festival certainly brought cats together in more ways than one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

520 40 23
Rainkit is moved away from her entire family and transferred to SeasonClan because Icestar commanded it. Still, there are signs of Twoleg pollutions...
1.3K 114 21
[COMPLETE & REVISED] Burnetpaw is simply a bad hunter. After spending all of her apprenticeship attempting to improve her abilities, she is still not...
265 19 16
"With the help of a bat with iron wings, the Brightest Flame will destroy the reign of the ice." Darkness is threatening the Clans from within, but o...
1.9K 195 32
Skykit, an EagleClan kit, feels out of place after she learns a terrible secret. Rainkit, Skykit's sister, struggles to learn and follow the Warrior...