Don't Say You Love Me

lrm2323 tarafından

*Completed* Teegan Walters has had to spend one week each summer in a tiny beach town in California with her... Daha Fazla

Chapter ONE
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter NINE
Chapter TEN
Chapter ELEVEN
Chapter TWELVE
Chapter THIRTEEN
Chapter FOURTEEN
Chapter FIFTEEN
Chapter SIXTEEN
Chapter SEVENTEEN
Chapter EIGHTEEN
Chapter NINETEEN
Chapter TWENTY
Chapter TWENTY ONE
Chapter TWENTY TWO
Chapter TWENTY THREE
Chapter TWENTY FOUR
Chapter TWENTY FIVE
Chapter TWENTY SIX
Chapter TWENTY SEVEN
Chapter TWENTY EIGHT
Chapter TWENTY NINE
Chapter THIRTY
Chapter THIRTY ONE
Chapter THIRTY TWO
Chapter THIRTY FOUR
Chapter THIRTY FIVE
Chapter THIRTY SIX
Chapter THIRTY SEVEN
Chapter THIRTY EIGHT
Chapter THIRTY NINE
Chapter FORTY
Chapter FORTY ONE
Chapter FORTY TWO
Chaprer Forty Three
Chapter FORTY FOUR
Chapter FORTY FIVE
Chapter FORTY SIX
Chapter FORTY SEVEN
Chapter FORTY EIGHT
Chapter FORTY NINE
Chapter FIFTY
Chapter FIFTY ONE
Epilogue

Chapter THIRTY THREE

40 8 26
lrm2323 tarafından

Teegan

My dad called and interrupted Cohen and I when we were about to having sex.

   Worse than that, I answered and he told me that he booked my flight back to Seattle. It's in approximately four weeks. A bit less, actually. I have to be in New York by the last week of August, for orientation. A month ago, I couldn't wait. I was dreading this summer with my mom. But everything is different now.

   I took Cohen back to my house because that's what couples do. They hang out at their house. I didn't know who would be there but honestly I didn't care. But then Cohen was in my bedroom and I just wanted to kiss him and - it ended poorly. He got spooked by Francis being there and took off.

   Since Francis said he can get the kids from daycare, which he is rarely around to do, I take the opportunity to take a shower and eat lunch and relax. Though I don't really relax, but I keep thinking about Cohen and how he left, just like that. I'm giving him space because I assume he needs it, and when Francis comes in with the kids, the house is too loud and too busy to think too much about it.

   "I made this today!" Josie yells, shoving a paper plate, painted sort of crazy, in my face.

   "That's so pretty," I tell her anyway.

   "I'm hungry!" Oscar shouts, looking at me.

   Francis is not home all that often when the kids are home, or awake. He works long shifts and lots of days in a row. I have been making a lot of meals for them, or at least eating meals with them that mom has made. So when Francis looks to me for suggestions, I am not surprised.

  "Spaghetti?" I offer, already standing up to head to the kitchen.

   It's not even really dinner time yet but it's not like I have anything else to do. Oscar follows me.

   "Yes, please. Can we have smoothies, too?"

   I mess up his hair a bit and smile at him. "Yes. Can you see what fruit we have?"

   Francis is in the doorway and just standing back, watching. Once I get the pasta boiling and Oscar has told me all the fruit in the fridge, he goes off to play and Francis and I are left alone.

   "You are so good with them," he tells me, still just in the doorway.

   "I've been spending a lot of time with them," I say, without thinking. "Also, I have a brother and a sister in Seattle, too."

   "Right, yeah. How are they? Must be getting big?" Francis asks, and I can tell he had forgotten about them. Probably about the fact that I have an entirely different family in Seattle, where I am the majority of the time.

   "They are," I say plainly, staring at the pot.

   I've been here a month already and this is my first real conversation with Francis, without anyone else around. He's tall and thick and handsome, and he has a kind face. I've known him a really long time and he's always been good to me, but this - all of this - is different now.

   "I sort of can't believe you're eighteen," he says, shaking his head. "So grown up. I remember the first day I met you."

   I smile at him and turn back to the stove. "I don't really remember that."

   "You came down here with your mom for a weekend. You were so little, like really small for your age, and you were so shy. That was before your dad got custody of you. Your mom was hoping you'd come live with us full time," he goes on, as if I knew this already.

   I did not. "What?"

   Francis' eyes furrow together. "Before your dad went to the courts and was rewarded full custody... your mom was trying to convince him to let you move down here. You didn't know that?"

   I freeze and try to think how I should go about this. My dad never told me that my mom was fighting for me. I just assumed all those years that she left and her new life in California without me was better. Now I'm learning that she wanted me.

   "Uh, no. My dad said they agreed that me staying in Seattle with with him was best. Because school, my friends..." I say, not looking at him.

   "Well, yes. I am sure being uprooted completely would have been hard on you. But your mom was really sad when she found out you'd only be coming here in the summer. She begged your dad to let you come for two weeks, or three, but they ended up decided on one."

   I can tell Francis doesn't think any of this is a big deal, now. That happened a long time ago. But my dad kept this all from me, and suddenly my heart is beating too fast and I feel like crying.

   "I'm glad I'm here now, you know? For the whole summer," I say instead, so we can stop talking about that.

   He smiles and nods. "Me too. And I'm sorry about earlier, you know, when I... I just assumed you were alone. I called up and you didn't answer, so-"

   "Oh, it's okay."

   "I'm glad you're enjoying your time here. You'll have these memories for the rest of your life. Go to the parties, dance, have fun, kiss boys," he says, and then laughs. "Do it all. When you're older you'll be glad you did."

   I force a smile but my brain is going a mile a minute. My dad didn't want me to go live with my mom. My mom wanted me and he let me believe she didn't.

*   

Two hours later, everyone has eaten and I'm playing a game of Snakes and Ladders with the kids when my mom gets home. She drops her bag by the door and slips out of her shoes and smiles when she sees us, sitting on the living room floor. She looks tired, I notice as I smile back at her.

   "I made spaghetti, if you're hungry. There's a ton more. We've all eaten," I tell her, waiting for Josie to roll the dice.

   "I am very hungry," she says, unbuttoning her blazer. "That sounds amazing."

   Oscar runs over to hug her and then comes back over for his turn and Josie waves and blows a kiss. Mom catches it and makes Josie laugh and then moves on through to the kitchen.

   Our game is done about ten minutes later and I had already told the kids I'd take them outside to play when we finished. Josie is already running to get her shoes and Oscar smiles and thanks me for playing the game with them. He won, too, so he's extra excited. In the kitchen, mom is plating herself some pasta and I notice she's got a glass of wine poured, too. Her hair is pulled back in a tight pony tail and as she sits, she sighs.

   "Long day?" I ask, stepping into the room.

   "C'mon Teeeegan!" Josie yells, her shoes on but I'm sure they are on the wrong feet.

   "Go out to the deck. I'll be there in a minute," I say, but then add, "Stay on the deck. Oscar, go on with her."

   He nods and slips on his sandals before opening the door. Once it's closed and the kids are outside - I can still see them through the glass door - I turn back to my mom.

   "Very long. I worked the whole day at the hut and then had two meetings. Thanks for this," she says and looks at the plate of food.

   "Of course," I tell her. "Francis got the kids from daycare."

   "Oh, I forgot he was off today. Sorry, my brain is foggy today. Is he here?"

   "Somewhere." I look out the door again and see they are piling up buckets and shovels. "So... I just wanted to... talk about..."

   "Cohen?" she asks, knowing what I'm going to say.

   "Yeah. We're... I don't know... dating, I guess. We're hanging out, and we like each other..." This is so awkward. "I just wanted to you-"

   "I came to that conclusion on my own, Teeg. Since you stayed at his house last night." She seems mostly okay with this.

  "Yeah. Um, I just... I didn't plan this, you know? I didn't think anything like this would happen this summer," I admit.

   I hear the kids laughing and look over. They are still waiting for me. "Also, I'm really sorry that I was sort of horrible to you over the years."

   My mom looks confused. "Why would you say that?"

   "It was just... I really thought you didn't want me. So when I was forced to come here each summer, I never made an effort to enjoy it or spend quality time with you. I regret that, now."

   "Oh, Teegan, honey. No. I'm glad for how far we've come this summer, too. The past is the past." She sips her wine and looks up at me. "Also, I always wanted you. I tried to fight for you. It just didn't work out that way."

   I nod and leave it at that. "I promised the kids we'd go play in the sand for a bit."

   "Are you seeing Cohen tonight?" she asks, and then takes a big bite of her dinner.

   I hang my head, and then shake it slightly. "I'm staying in tonight."

   She doesn't need to know that Cohen left this afternoon, angry. Or was I angry? I don't even know. We were both confused, maybe a bit shocked. We reacted before thinking. My plan is to give him space today and go and see him at the hut tomorrow.

   All I can do is hope my plan is the right one.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

376K 8.8K 41
What do you do when your boyfriend of two years cheats on you and gets caught at junior prom, in front of the whole school? You grieve, you suffer, a...
8.1K 376 38
EVERY SUMMER, four families make their yearly exodus to the British seaside town of Briarville. For Livia Wong, the trip had been tradition ever sinc...
1.3K 59 42
In a southwest Australian beach town, not all is well in paradise... Eden's struggle with perfectionism peaks in her final year of high school. Alrea...
853K 32.3K 64
#1 in the Reece family. Grayson "Gray" Reese came back home after a couple of tours overseas to the small town of Oak Island NC where he grew up and...