101 Writing Tips from an Exha...

By ray_of_sunshine9

I've been reviewing stories on Wattpad for a while now and, boy, has that been a journey. Your stories have m... More

Welcome!
Table of Contents
|| PART I: The (Exhausting) World of Reviewers ||
Types of Reviewers
Types of Comments
Types of Authors
Pick Your Poison
Stalking Your Reviewer
Facing Harsh Reviews
Most Frustrating Reviewers
Most Frustrating Requesters
An Extremely Sugar-Coated Review
Payment
|| PART II: Overall Writing Advice ||
Blurbs: Novels
Blurbs: Poetry + Short Story
Run-On Sentences
Past vs Present Tense
Planning Your Story
Dialogue
Redundancy + Sentence Structure
Showing vs Telling
Writing an "Interesting" Story
Finding Your "Voice"
Point of View (First/Second/Third Person Writing)
Writing Styles
Pacing
Spelling + Proofreading
Starting Your Story
Prologues
Commas
Writer's Block
A Good Protagonist
Foreshadowing
Writing Numbers
Diversity
LGBTQ+
Is This Plot Point Necessary?
Descriptions
Writing Multiple POVs
Name-Dropping
Writing Children
Switching POVs
Internal Monologue
Tips for Beginner Writers
Kiss Scenes
|| PART III: Cliché vs Unique Tropes ||
Quiz Time: Is Your Story Cliché?
Quiz Time: Is Your Poetry Cliché?
Quiz Time: Is Your Short Story Cliché?
Quiz Time: Is Your Fanfiction Cliché?
Love Triangles
The Best Friend
Love at First Sight
Overused Writing Clichés
Good Girl; Bad Boy
Types of Antagonists
Types of Supporting Characters
The Alpha Werewolf
Types of Love Interests
The Mary Sue
Dead Parents
Open-Ended Stories
Quiz Time: Is My Character Attractive Enough?
|| PART IV: Making Your Book "Wattpad Famous" ||
Covers
How to Get "READS" On Wattpad
Awards
Community Accounts

World Building

496 47 164
By ray_of_sunshine9

World building is just like building cities with Lego. Except it's ten times more difficult. 

That's it. That's the end of the chapter. 

But, no, for real! Let's talk about building worlds in our stories!

Normally, people think world building applies to big, fantasy worlds. Worlds with dragons and faeries and squids that know how to use swords. However, that's not at all the case! Every story requires some form of world building and description; after all, each story is set in a world! And we need to build this world so that it works for our narrative. 

Even if your story is set in New York City, and it's just a rom com, you have to remember that not all your readers are from New York City. So, you have to assume your readers are from some underground tunnel in Antarctica, and you have to know enough about the setting to adequately immerse your reader into your setting. 

Now, a few people have told me that they never know what world building entails. Honestly, this is so valid. It can be super overwhelming to introduce worlds to your story -- especially when it is a brand new world, with new concepts and systems. Where do we start? What do we need to think of before we write? 

In this chapter, I'll throw some ideas at you about the things you should consider when creating your world. Then, we will discuss some overall advice. 

First of all, when creating your world, these are the things to consider: 

- Who is the governing body? Who is in charge? What are their boundaries?

Imagine a countries run by a dictator. Or just imagine... countries that already exist on our planet that I am too afraid to name. 

Just kidding! I have no fear. 

Imagine North Korea. 

Arrest me. Now. I dare you. 

Anyways, now imagine a world that would be run by me. I would be very focused on freedom of speech and inclusivity, as well as kindness and story-telling. And lots of dancing noodles. And marshmallows. Squids with swords. 

Now, imagine a world if you were the governor. What would that look like? 

What about if your worst enemy was the leader? Or your sibling? Or that one teacher who gave you a bad grade because you didn't agree with her opinions on pillow cases? 

Completely different vibes. So, leaders are important! That, or having no leaders -- also very important difference. 

- Is there magic? Who can use it? What is stopping the magic from taking over? What are the magical boundaries? 

Always make sure you have some element of realism to your magic. Can people just fly non-stop without getting tired at all? Can every single person in your world shoot fire from their hands, and yet somehow, no dangerous person has burnt down their own home? You have to think about the limits and boundaries to your magic.

- What is the environment like? The setting? The weather? Are there seasons and natural disasters? What are the natural resources? How is the land used? 

This one is pretty straight forward! What does your world look like? Is it based off something? I know lots of authors like to take inspiration from real life countries that are underrepresented, or they like to take a slice of history and create this into a new world. What does your world look like, if I stepped inside it? What would my five senses experience? 

- What jobs are there? What jobs are valued? 

Imagine a world where dentists are the most important and valued job in the world. Imagine how shameful it would be to have rotting teeth in those worlds. Or, alternately, maybe dentists are so valued and hard to come by that no one has nice teeth. 

What about if bus drivers were the most valued jobs, and all the youth wanted to grow up to be bus drivers? What would the protagonist be like, then? 

- What is the culture like? Is there a religion? Are there sacred customs and traditions and foods and festivals? What do they celebrate? What are they scared of? 

This is especially important if you plan on making your protagonist hook up with the Satan of your world. 

I'm not saying it's a common thing I see on Wattpad. 

But I'm definitely saying that if you look up 'Satan x Protagonist' stories, you will see at least six thousand stories on this platform. 

- What is the population? How do people behave? 

Is it very cluttered and busy? Quiet and eerie? See how just the number of people can instantly set a mood? Why am I asking so many questions? 

- What is the language? Is there a common tongue? What is it normal to talk about? Are there different dialects? How will you show this in your story? 

And, branching off from this, what are the taboo topics? 

For example, let's look at our world. In some countries, if you mention pregnancy or periods or all things related to a woman's hoo-ha/fish taco/badonkas, people flip out and hide. Meanwhile, in other countries, it's a completely normal conversation to have with your baby toddler. 

And yes, I have heard a mother tell her toddler that he 'popped out of the womb so slickly that it was like making coffee from a coffee machine.' 

It was... weird. 

But yes! What is normal for your world? Can they say Voldemort aloud? 

- What are the species? 

Is it just humans? Just animals? Faeries? Fire-breathing snakes? Lizards that only know how to say one word and that word is 'Fred'? 

How do the species interact? 

Do they interact? 

- Music? Fashion? Food? Weapons? 

Is your world into Doja Cat or Doja Dog? Justin Bieber or Justin Wasper? Eminem or M&M? 

And do they like pineapple on pizza or nah?

- What is the history? Have there been wars? Rivalling nations? 

Pretty self-explanatory. What is the past of your world, before the story even started? 

- What is the technology like? Is there Artificial Intelligence? Time travelling? Extra-terrestrial critters?

And what are their boundaries and limits? 

If you have time travelling, how does it affect someone who travels? Does it affect their health? Are there limits to where they can go, and who can go? 

You gotta think about all these things!

Now, I've just bombarded you with a lot of questions. You may be frantically trying to answer these about your own world. That, or you're just sitting back, frazzled, because you don't write worlds -- you simply write about Harry Styles' bedroom. 

Each to their own! 

However, before you write down all these questions, answer them, and then dump all of this in the first chapter of your story, here is some overall tips from me when it comes to world building. This is the most important one: 

Look back at all the questions I just asked you. Write your answers down on an imaginary piece of paper. 

Done? 

Cool. 

Now rip about 90% of it into shreds and dump it into the ocean and watch an imaginary octopus strangle each little piece of paper. 

Why? 

Because: 

1. You will not be using all your world building in your novel. 

Sure, if you write a book about your book, which details the world, then you may need all that information. But for your actual narrative? 

You're not going to need every single bit of information about every single day in every single war. You're not going to need to tell your reader the exact population of every single country in your world, nor will you need to tell them the length of all your faeries' eyelashes. 

What will you be showing your reader, you ask? 

You will show them what is relevant, purposeful, and important to your plot. 

Will we need to see the toilets in your world, if they are regular toilets that show no value to the plot? No. 

Will we need to see the toilets in your world, if that toilet is actually a magical device that transports your protagonist to Dwyane Johnson's kitchen? 

Yeah, probably. 

And give me that toilet, please.

2. Don't info-dump. 

Let's say that you have worked out all the important stuff that you need to tell your reader. Great!

Now, don't dump it all. 

Show it to the reader carefully. Kind of like dropping bread crumbs for them to follow, so they don't get completely lost in the world. However, if you dump a whole loaf of bread in the middle of the path, they're probably going to be full, and refuse to keep following the path. 

Little bits, where it is most relevant. Little bits, where it will keep them asking more questions. 

And if you are doing it through dialogue, be so careful. You don't want it to sound like your character has memorised the whole world-building chart you made and is rattling it off. 

3. Your characters and plot are just as important, if not more important, than your world.

I might get people who argue with me here, and that's fine. Sure, some people are more invested in worlds than people, and feel more drawn to unique settings. 

However, if you have this amazing world, but your protagonist is as bland as cardboard... then what's the point? Why would people even care about this world, when they simply aren't invested in this character or this plot? 

You need to make sure you aren't using all your creative juices on your world only. You also need to give some love and time to your protagonist and your plot, and combine them with this kickass world to create something magical. 

4. Realism.

Yes, magic is considered real in stories, and that's fine. People can be descendants of gods, or they can shoot pollen from their toenails. Whatever. 

But you need to make it somewhat realistic. 

People shouldn't be able to overuse magic and powers with no consequences or, at the very least, no description to ground the reader into how it is used. 

For example, if a character just shoots fire from his hands whenever, then it feels somewhat less realistic to me. Especially if, during the first time, it just happens, and it's glossed over. 

However, if someone describes it in a way that I can see the magic forming -- like feeling the fire burning in his veins first, or seeing him concentrate, or feeling some sort of click inside his brain -- then it feels so much more real. It doesn't have to be described every single time he uses the fire. However, you have to remember that, if your reader is seeing it for the first time, they will need some description to be grounded into your world. 

5. Consistency. 

Don't break the rules you come up with. It's that simple. 

Let's look at Twilight. Where Edward is described as cold and hard as stone all the time. And yet, when Bella kisses him [spoiler, I guess?], it's described as warm with soft lips. 

Like, hello? You should be kissing an iceberg, Bella? 

Similarly, if you say that people in your world have to wear a mask or else they die, and then your protagonist removes the mask and survives, but you never explain why or how that happens... then can you see why your story lacks consistency? 

6. Flexibility. 

Now, you may create your world first. You may outline every single piece of history and geography and law in it. Hell, you may write a whole quantum physics textbook for it. 

But you have to be flexible. 

Because, if you write, and you find that a rule or history point just doesn't work, then you have to be ready to change a few things. In fact, as you write, you may find yourself getting better ideas that suit your story more!

So, be flexible! Be open-minded with your world! You may create something even more wonderful by the fourth draft of your world alone. 

7. Draw from your surroundings! 

Earth is a pretty darn neat place. In my opinion, the planet I live on is pretty darn magical. 

I love people. I love seeing their emotions and love and kindness. I love seeing the way people squeal when they see dogs, or the way some people can create the most amazing art with some paint, or the way people can combine different musical instruments to create something powerful and moving.

I love the fact that some people are reading this on the bus, smiling to themselves. Or cringing, because my writing is cringe. Or laughing, because someone replied to their comment and agreed that I was cringe. 

I love that some people are currently laughing before kissing their partner on their wedding day. I love that some people are smiling at a stranger because they just opened a door for them. I love that some kid is probably asking their parent why the sky is blue. 

I love that there are so many countries in this world, with so many different landscapes and colours and cultures. Different books, different songs, different histories, and different folklore. 

I love that there are planets outside our own, that we are so determined to explore and find. 

I love that there is so much of the ocean that we have not discovered. 

I love that mermaids could very much be real. 

We have so many amazing things on this planet to write about! So whether you choose a country you love, or a time period you love, or a concept you love... go to town! Celebrate the good in the world, acknowledge the bad in the world, and write a story about it!

8. Avoid timely language. 

For example, if you use #yolo or #selfie or #poggers, then be prepared for some readers to not understand your story. Also be ready for your story to become irrelevant in a few years, when language like that is no longer used. 

I would avoid language that is considered timely slang, unless it is really necessary to your story and you are hoping to capture a slice of that time period. 

9. My favourite piece of advice: cry and eat cookies. 

It helps. I promise. 

10. But for real: READ. 

Read. 

Read other books with new worlds. See how they implement their world building. See if there are any ideas that inspire you and tickle your fantasy. Obviously, don't copy them, but the best way to learn how to weave in a setting is to see how others of the past have done it! See what you like, see what you don't like, and learn from them!

I've said it a million times, but yes. 

Read. 

Just... do it. 

I hope this helped people in creating their world! Better yet, I hope I accidentally gave y'all some ideas about squids and swords and all that jazz. 

Do you have any cool worlds that you've created? I would love to here about them! Share them here! 

In the next chapter, I will be ranting about dead parents in literature. What are your thoughts on this? 

Also, y'all have been requesting like crazy! This book is supposed to go up to 101 chapters only... and y'all have given me 100 to write about. So... if you have any questions or requests on something you want me to write/rant about, you need to get it in fast so it makes the list! So let me know if there's anything you want me to talk about! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 201 17
So, you wanna write a novel but don't know where to start? Then this guide's for you! Inside, you'll find a step by step process for how to plan your...
268K 40.4K 103
ပြန်သူမရှိတော့ဘူးဆိုလို့ ယူပြန်လိုက်ပြီ ဟီးဟီး ဖတ်ပေးကြပါဦး
41.2K 1.9K 15
Love writing but find it hard to finish projects? Looking for a new approach to telling stories? Embracing serialisation can help you be more product...
264K 10.7K 45
When Naina Mittal walks into the pristine Headquarters of The Maurya Group, one of the world's largest conglomerates, to meet the CEO AKA the most ad...