Ethel 'n Opal

By neuttt

"can i help you?" "nah, you just look familiar..." [ when a heartbroken Ethel met a soft-spoken Opal, it was... More

ethel 'n opal
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
eleven
epilogue
author's note

ten

363 28 13
By neuttt

e t h e l   d i x o n

----------

Opal: Meet me under the bleachers?   5:47 p.m.

Yeah but where are you dummy?

I peak out a bit, scouting the bleachers that are quickly starting to fill up. I search with baited breath for a particular face. And each time someone walks by or settles into the growing crowd, my pulse act up. It's always something close enough, but never quite right; A girl with a blonde fro - but no, they don't frame her face the same. An attractive lightskin who smiles at her friends. They wave her over to the seat they saved. But there's no pretty pink braces in that smile. Some jit with a dorky ass graphic tee walks by and I almost mistake'em for her too. But none of them are her. So I check my phone again.

"If you try to scare me I'm not watching that stupid ass 'League of Dragons' shit with you after the game." I mumble this vaguely, feeling Opal's presence sneak up beside me. She laughs, which instantly makes me wanna smile. But I bite the inside of my cheeks, taking a moment to pretend like I'm scrolling through something important so I can calm these butterflies the fuck down.

"League of Legends." She corrects, coming all close and shit. "And I know you secretly love it because you cried at the end of that last episode." I smack my lips and risk a glance up. 

Opal has on her little band uniform, consisting of a combination of our school colors. Her hair is braided in a crown with two smaller braids on the sides. And she got that bare-faced, natural beauty thing going on too. Mm, she just be looking good.  

After subtly checking her out, I settle back on her face. Only to find that Opal was already on the same page as me. Her eyes roam over my uniform and I give a little nervous tug at the skirt. She chews on her lip, a tinge of bubble-gum pink and silver peaking out. Say less. I wet my lips a bit when I notice her eyes get darker. 

"So what's up?" She doesn't answer right away. Opal is lost in her staring. I'm not gone lie, I kinda like the attention too. Waiting isn't the problem though, it's the freaky thoughts that's causing the small smirk to spread on my face. Lawd have mercy, we must stay focus brothers.

"Oh- um, sorry." She lets out that breathy laugh, which causes me to look down at our hands, gently lacing her fingers with mine. My face gets hot and I know I look stupid just cheesin' all hard'n shit, but I can't help it. She's just so, Opal.

"It's just, you were telling me how nervous you were for your performance yesterday, so I wanted to check on you." I blink in surprise. The whole time I was rambling on the phone, I didn't think she was actually paying that close attention. But I should've know better 'cause this is Opal we're talking about.

"I-I'm good - thank you." I mumble, then peak at her smile from the corner of my eyes.

"No problem. You're gonna knock their socks off, I just know it. And I uh," Opal hooks her thumb to the side, backing up a bit, "I kinda have to hurry back for some last minute sound checks - Flora's probably freaking out right now. So I'm gonna..." She pauses, like her body can't decide whether or not she should really stay or go. I cross my arms, amused by how fast this girl can switch from confident to all awkward and shy-

Kiss. "Good luck." She pecks me on the cheek. Is it weird that I wanna hug'er and choke her at the same time?

I settle on mugging her instead. That childish ass kiss.

"What?"

"Gimme a proper kiss." She blushes but leans back in like a good girl. And so I waste no time sucking those soft plump lips back into my mouth.

"Alright! We're down to the last two minutes of the game folks! Both teams, Fort Walton Prep Panthers and South Shore Yellowjackets have well stood their ground on the field today. Forty-eight to forty-eight. These boys are showing us what true American football is all about, wouldn't you agree Johnny?"

"Oh yes! I see a bunch of college scouts out in the crowd, all with smiles on those beautiful faces. I'll say Robert, no matter how things turn out when this timer goes off, each and everyone one of these boys can look forward to a callback from at least one recruiter!"

"Let's really think about this though because I'm just not sure. I mean, are the Panthers really gonna let the away team outshine them on their own home field?! Or-or are the Yellowjackets really about to forfeit their winning streak of six games since the beginning of the season?! I can't place any bets man, these players are just that good! It's a beautiful night ladies and gentleman, and those who don't identify as either. History's about to be made here folks! Johnny, how ya feelin'?"

"I can't say Robert! I guess we'll just have to wait and see!"

"And I couldn't agree more. I'm feeling a little anxious buddy, but I'm anxious with glee!"

"Haha! 'anxious with glee' someone should put that on a shirt!"

"Thank you my fri..."

I mug the little boxed area at the top of the stands. There, gay-ass-Robert and corny-nigga-Johnny share a laugh while speaking into their headsets. I never like when they comment on the game. These niggas always sound like they boutta cum in their pants. 

Channy, our team captain, calls us girls over to start getting the crowd hype again, so I just ignore the two goofies and try not to cringe.

"Number thirteen - Sebastion Dixon - takes off!"

"That kid is gonna be nicknamed turbo when he get's to the big leagues, I'll tell ya."

"You don't lie - oh! He's gaining some heat! Three of the other team's running backs are hot on his heels! He's cornered Johnny, he's not gonna make it!"

"Are you kidding me?! He's gonna make it-"

"OH MY GOD THIS KID CAN'T BE HUMAN!"

"Ha! Settle down Johnny. That's a little'a what I like to call acceleration. Ope- and if you look closely you see Dixon's right hand man pulling off to deliver an assist. Number fifty-two, Tyshean Murphy everybody!"

"Like I said before, these boys are just that good."

"Dixon goes to pass the ball to Murphy but - Oh! It's intercepted by Matthias, Yellowjackets'es number eleven."

"No sweat, the panthers look like they won't be going out without a fight."

"You just might be right Johnny. The Panthers manage to steal the ball with an impressive play - keep a lookout Florida State University. Seriously, look into these guys!"

"I can hear the crowd's frenzy and let me tell you folks, it's now or never. Dixon is passed the ball again! He races to the goal line - light on his feet like never before! Twenty seconds! He's got twelve yards left folks... Fifteen!"

"Lord have mercy he's so close!"

I clasp my pompoms to my chest, holding a breath when one of Yellowjackets'es boys lunge right when 'Bastion's about to reach the goal line. At the last minute, he shifts his weight onto the other foot, spinning into a sort of sidestep. Oof. The other kid falls and it looks bad as fuck. 

'Bastion runs over the line. He throws the football and drops to his knees. There's a moment of silence. Then the crowd goes stupid dumb.

"HOLY MOTHER OF!-"

"THEY DID IT ROBERT! THE PANTHERS DEFEATED THE YELLOWJACKETS IN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON!"

His team helps him stand, rallying around him mad hype. In that moment, I can proudly say I've never been less disgusted by 'Bastion. 

"That my big bro!" A couple of the girls dap me up and we jump around in a huddle. I hear one of em talking bout some "that's my baby daddy". Um...

"Not too much now, not too fucking much."

Still, I can't stop smiling even when I peep mummy, popi, and Anushca knocking people out of their way to get down on the field. While they smother 'Bastion with hugs and kisses, I catch Marc's sneaky ass hugging on Tyshean off to the side. That boy is not slick. I was gonna go give him a piece of my mind too, but what I see next stops me in my tracks.

Opal's big ass, pretty ass smile, tightens the fist around my heart. She lightly jogs in my direction. Damn, my cheeks already hurt and now shawty got me cheesin' bad. From the corner of my eyes, I see Tassie walk up a little, grinning at... Opal? She waves at her too, jumping on the balls of her feet. A record scratch goes off in my mind.

It feels like a bucket of ice cold water is poured on me, killing the warm buzz that was building up before. My heads drops a little and I rub my mouth to hide the painfully obvious disappointment I don't need anyone asking me about right now. 

All the doubts from my past failed relationships flood back, making me cringe a little. I'm dumb. Of course Tassies's the one she's really coming for. That's her friend or whatever. Just because we went on one date doesn't mean her feelings for me are as deep as mines. Fuck, I'm doing that thing again. I always read too much into the small things when really, the other person never actually wants anything serious with m-

Out of nowhere I'm lifted into the air, completely caught off guard. Instantly, I'm surrounded by the comforting scent of cocoa butter and jasmine, and my body relaxes on instinct.

"Grumpyyy! We won!" Opal spins us a bit, making me giggle like crazy. She carefully slides my body down against her and I feel my skirt ride up a little. But Opal's quick, tugging at the blue hem with a small wink. My cheeks get hot and I'm just grateful she can't tell. I grip the lapel of her band uniform to steady myself, but also to bring her closer. 'Cause I can and who gone stop me? 

Behind her I peep how Tassie's smile falls slowly. And stay mad bitch. Then she's glaring at me. So I  respond good-naturedly with a smirk. Yeah Opal know where home is. She lucky both my and Opal's parents are somewhere around here too - staring at my girl like that. Had it been any other time I'd have no issue tappin that ass. But since I wanna cuddle and get kisses tonight, I huff, turning my attention back to Opal when she tugs on my hand.

"C'mon, our parents are taking us out to eat!"

I practically throw myself on top of her while she leads us to the school's parking lot. "You gone spenna night though right?"

©neuttt

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

TL TD By B

Romance

467K 18.3K 60
"You know that I'm dying and you still want this?" I asked confused. She walked slowly to me, never taking her eyes off me. Like two piece of magnet...
11.6K 376 37
"el?" i asked her. she turned around and looked at me. "i need help.." i admitted to her with tears in my eyes. she nodded and spoke. "i know you do."
159K 5.3K 50
𝗦𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗲𝘁𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗿𝘀 (girlxgirl)(𝓌𝓁𝓌)(femxstem) 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐰/ 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬! Riah's life after high school was just pieci...