Why ?

By Adana1007

Carmen has to go and rescue Gray in the Himalayas, but all doesn't go according to plan, leading to her captu... More

Author's note
The failure of an escape
The forced return
Painful rules
The resistance
A bad message
Doubt and escape
The punishment
The Deal
Destroy her hope
End of chapter 10
Interlude: Coach Brunt's lesson
AN
Interlude : Countess Cleo's lesson
An Unexpected Collaboration
Painful memories
A Cornelian Choice
Stifle her last light
Monitoring a sheep
Interlude: high risk dinner
The compassion of an enemy
The last chance plan
Interlude: A normal day
Black Sheep or Carmen ?
Too late ?
A complicated reconstruction
Interlude : A Faculty Caper
Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 2)
Interlude: Shadows of Sadness
Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 3)
Interlude : A Faculty Caper part 4

Your one true ennemy

364 7 7
By Adana1007

A/N : Sorry for the delay in publishing, I had a busy day. Anyway, good reading.

Carmen POV

Hunger was forcing me to withdraw into myself and weakening my defences more and more. Professor Maelstrom had made it clear, food is a reward that is earned through good behaviour, which he said was not going to be soon. I haven't had access to it since my escape attempt and I don't even know how much time has passed. The only thing I know for sure is that Maelstrom will be here soon. Every day, or at least what I consider 'day', the same routine repeats itself.

One of the Cleaners drops me off a small bowl of water, then the Professor comes to take me for what he calls an 'obedience lesson' where he repeats over and over again rules of 'good behaviour' to follow and tries to make me talk. If there's one thing I've learned here, it's that he doesn't like to repeat himself, that no isn't an acceptable answer and that the lesson always ends in punishment. By now I would have thought he would have gone through all the methods of hurting me, but no, he always finds something new. The rest of the time, if by chance I am still conscious at the end, I remain locked and chained in my cell, in total darkness with only my thoughts often polluted by Maelstrom's words.

For the moment, the rules expected by the Professor are six in number.

1. Obey all orders from the Faculty without question

2. Don't try to escape, which are in any case doomed to failure

3. Always kneel in the presence of a Faculty member, except contrary order

4. Never speak without permission

5. Always bow my head and never meet the gaze of the Faculty, except contrary order.

6. Be grateful for everything they give me because I only have it thanks to their 'generosity'.

The last rule was only added yesterday and I remember not being able to stop myself from snickering. Maelstrom had punished me severely for this 'disrespect'. I don't particularly like the idea of giving in, but continuing to rebel would cause me more injury and wouldn't help Shadowsan, or ... Gray. I don't know what to think about my relationship with him anymore, are we really friends? Or did he revenge himself on me by having me captured by VILE. Maybe Maelstrom is right about him to some extent. A tear rolls down my cheek. I can't stand being in the dark any longer.

As the door begins to open, I move to my knees and bow my head in anticipation. A giggle that is far too familiar for my taste comes and I risk a glance. I see Tigress approaching me, strutting around as if she owns the place.

"So the rumour was true. The great Carmen Sandiego is now just a little Black Sheep completely subservient to the Faculty." She said in her usual drawl. The urge to reply comes over me but I can't risk further injury, Maelstrom might be watching us.

She leans over and whispers in my ear. "Too bad the Faculty won't also let us have fun with you." She punches me in the stomach, directly on the wounds left by the Professor the day before. "That's for the last time." She deactivates the chains holding me before cuffing my hands.

"Come on, stand up, I don't have all day." she says as she grabs the chain and pulls up. Once up, she pushes me violently forward and my hunger-weakened muscles are unable to regain balance, sending me to the ground with a cry of pain. I hear her giggle as she forcibly lifts me up and places one of her claws on my neck, just above the collar.

"You didn't joke so much when we were fighting." I growl as she slams me against the wall, her claws trailing down my cheek.

"If I were you, I'd be a little more respectful to stronger than you, Black Sheep. I only have one word to say to make your situation worse." she threatens. She continues to provoke me the rest of the way by tripping and falling me, however I ignore her. Expecting her to take me to Maelstrom, I am surprised to arrive at one of Countess Cleo's studios, who already looks annoyed. As she notices my presence, I kneel down and bow my head. Tigress attaches the chain to hold me down. Since my escape attempt, I' ve rarely been allowed to be in their presence without being tied up.

"Finally, what could have held you back so much, Tigress ?"

"She refused to come nicely and struggled as well as provoking me."

"Is that true, Black Sheep ?"

"No, I did nothing of the sort. Tigress provoked me and took her sweet time taunting me." As I finish my sentence I feel a powerful electric shock run through my body, I scream in pain on the floor. Once it subsides, I hear Tigress snicker.

"Don't lie to me Black Sheep. I'll have to have a talk with Gunnar about you. To return to the purpose of your being here, in our generosity, we decided that your outfit should be changed. Look at you, your clothes are dirty, torn and covered in blood, besides, red is out of fashion and we can't tolerate that, can we ?"

Clothes fall in front of me as the chain was unlocked and the handcuffs were taken off me.

"Red will always look better on me than these horrible clothes." I pause, realising too late that I had just muttered it out loud. Risking a glance, I see Cleo stop in shock and Tigress giving me a look that means 'you're so dead'. The Countess reaches down and grabs my face, forcing me to look into her eyes. Her voice is a menacing whisper.

"What did you say ?!"

"N-Nothing, I-I just wanted to..." Cleo slaps my face then straightens and shocks me for a seemingly endless amount of time.

"Remind me again Black Sheep, what was the first rule you learned here?"

"Al-Always obey the Faculty."

"And do you think I value your opinion ?"

"N-No."

"So when I give you an order, what do you do ?"

"I-I obey."

"Correct, so I think you know what to do now. "

"Y-Yes Countess." I mutter before picking up the clothes and moving behind the screen.

"Tigress, watch her so she can't try anything stupid."

The outfit consists solely of a light green sports bra with a single straight strap, revealing that damned mark. The back of the bra is as thin as possible, as if they were trying to leave my skin and wounds in plain sight. Something tells me that this is a request from Professor Maelstrom to have more space to hurt myself. A VILE logo is located on my right chest. The bra is accompanied by a dark green legging that stops just above my knees.

Of course, VILE doesn't care about the state of my clothes. Their intention is to belittle me, to make me understand that they have all the rights over me and that my whole life, down to the most insignificant decisions such as clothes, are under their control. As I was about to put my shoes back on, Tigress grabbed my arm and forced me forward to a chair.

"Oh no, you must only wear what the Faculty gives you, which means no red trainers. Besides, being barefoot isn't so bad." She laughs.

Once seated and tied, the Countess approaches and casually passes her fingers over the V marked on my collarbone, making me groan in pain.

"Green suits you much better, Black Sheep. Now I think we should do something about your hair. It's much too long for my taste. Tigress make it shorter, will you ?"

"How far should I go Countess ?"

"The same length as before her rebellion should do the trick."

Tigress steps around me to position herself at my back. As my eyes try to follow her, the collar chain prevents me from doing so, blocking my gaze from the Countess who was scrolling through her phone screen without paying attention to me. I feel multiple cuts make their way to the base of my neck, my hair falling around me.

"Did you really have to let your hair grow out so much ?" Tigress says as she pulls back some of the strands still stuck in her claws.

"We need to go. Saira's waiting for us." Cleo interrupts, running a hand through my newly shortened hair. The restraints come off and Tigress slips the cuffs back on before grabbing my arm and pushing me behind the Countess. Neither of us speak until the Countess enters the laboratory.

Bellum POV

I was putting away the equipment I used in my last experiment when the door opened. Turning around, I see Cleo enter followed by Black Sheep who is pushed inside by Tigress who then leaves with a small laugh.

"Go sit down." Cleo orders before walking over to me. Black Sheep looks different from the last time I saw her, when we made the deal with Shadowsan. Not only in her physical appearance, which has changed radically, but also in her attitude. Her fighting spirit seems to have disappeared and she keeps her head down as she goes to sit in the chair provided for her.

As I lock the restraints remotely, I approach the cupboard and pull out the newly upgraded truth extractor. Black Sheep shakes slightly as I approach her but resolutely keeps her head down. I place the helmet on her head and take the syringe I had previously prepared. Black Sheep holds back a groan of pain as I inject it directly into her neck. The Countess gives me a questioning look.

"It is a stimulant, it should prevent her from escaping our questions by losing consciousness like last time. I've upgraded the extractor so that it forces her mind even more. Remember, don't use the collar, though it doesn't seem necessary considering what Maelstrom did to her." I watch the girl once more, who hasn't looked at us since she arrived. Cleo starts with an easy question.

"So let's start. Were you really working with the ACME ?"

"N-No."

We look at each other shocked.

"Can you repeat that ?" I ask confused.

"No, I don't..." She tries to hold back but quickly gives in. "I hadn't worked with ACME for several months."

"So you concede that you did work for them at one point ?" Cleo asks

"In collaboration, yes."

"Why did it stop ?" She continues.

"By hacking into their servers, I alienated all of ACME."

"Why did you hack them ?" I ask, increasing the power slightly.

"Shadowsan had told me that he lied to you about the events in Buenos Aires 20 years ago and revealed me the truth. I wanted to check it out." We recoil slightly in shock. If what Black Sheep says is true, and it is thanks to my device, it would explain a lot. I quickly retrieve Shadowsan's report and hand a copy to Cleo on an auxiliary tablet.

"What is this 'truth', Black Sheep ?" I ask while rereading the events. At her silence, I glance at her and notice that she's starting to resist. I increase the power as she begins to moan in pain. "The pain will only lessen if you speak..."

"Shadowsan never killed my father. It was the Chief of ACME, then, an Interpol agent. Following this event, she founded ACME to find and stop VILE. Shadowsan set fire to the house and then brought me back."

"Why didn't he tell us ?" Cleo asks as I take notes.

"I don't really know, he just told me he had a lot to explain already with my arrival."

"If you were working together, then why didn't he tell you before, why did he wait for Coach to reveal to you what we thought we knew ?" I ask perplexed.

"To protect me, he was afraid that if I found out that VILE blood was running through my veins, I would turn away from my fight, from my one true enemy." She replies angrily, raising her head to stare defiantly at us. Gunnar is not going to be happy. With all the work he's done to make her docile, we've just rekindled the flame in her. While we're at it, we might as well go ahead and make her tell us all about her team. A look at Cleo confirms that she has also come to this conclusion.

Carmen POV

I don't know why, but hearing myself say the words that Shadowsan once said to me is enough to give me hope. My team won't give up on me so I mustn't let them down. I feel the electricity running through my head and tugging at my weakened defences. I want to scream in pain but I won't give them the pleasure. I straighten my head and stare at the two Faculty members with hatred.

"Since you're in the mood to talk, tell me where your HQ is ?" Cleo asks

"Fuck you." I growl, biting my lip to stop myself from divulging her position. Cleo slaps me, clearly having no desire to play. The pain increases exponentially and I know I won't last much longer. I have to find a solution and fast.

"I've turned the power up to maximum, Black Sheep. Any resistance is useless because it will only stop when we have no more questions. So answer us, and properly, if you don't want to make your situation any worse than it already is." Bellum reprimands me in annoyance. An idea came to me and it's probably one of the stupidest I've ever had but it might work.

"I'm not telling you anything!" I shake my head violently and use the drops of perspiration to slide the helmet off. The latter ends up against a cupboard and is destroyed in its fall, literally. I take the opportunity to catch my breath now that the pain has diminished, although a twinge can still be felt. I look at Cleo and Bellum staring at me livid, completely shocked by my actions. In a rush of adrenaline and a moment of pure insolence, I give the scientist a little sly smile and comment as casually as possible.

"Rather fragile your toy, one little shake and it breaks. You really should change designers." The hint being clear in my words. However, noticing the looks of hatred from both women, I know I've screwed up. The only thought that comes to me before the immediate assault of pain is 'Eh, shit'.

3rd Person POV

Coach Brunt and Professor Maesltrom were discussing the recent successes of their capers, all thanks to their precious girl. Moreover, the Professor was proud of his success with Black Sheep. Admittedly, she was still resisting a little, the punishment he had given her yesterday was enough to prove it, but in a week or two she would be completely obedient. The only downside was that some capers were failing and the agents who managed to escape were answering the same thing, ACME. Some would get arrested and VILE could not get them out. It seemed that this mysterious agency had been gaining more ground lately. It was becoming urgent to find out more information about them. Maelstrom wasn't happy about skipping one of Black Sheep's classes in favor of a makeover with Countess Cleo and an interrogation with Dr. Bellum. As they walked back to their quarters, they heard a cry of pain in the distance. Maelstrom recognized it immediately, having heard it enough lately. Exchanging a curious look with Brunt, the professors made their way to the laboratory.

Entering the room, they saw Carmen screaming in pain and struggling against her restraints as electricity coursed through her body. Countess Cleo looked on with a mixture of shock and hatred as Bellum continued to press her remote control. She seemed to be in a dilemma as to whether or not to arrest the scientist. As for Bellum, Coach had rarely seen her so out of her mind, whatever the girl had done, she paid heavily for it. The two approached and as if coming out of a trance, Dr. Bellum released the tension.

"What did she do to deserve this ?" Maesltrom asked as he watched harshly as Carmen caught her breath and tried to hold back a sob.

"We were interrogating her when she saw fit to destroy the extractor so she wouldn't have to answer us, and in a moment of insolence, provoke us." Cleo replies. The professor turns his gaze towards her as she raises her head. Expecting her to look away as he has taught her, he looks on disgruntled at the hatred and defiance burning in her as she stares at him.

"That's... That's all you're capable of ? You actually bark louder than you bite !" Carmen sneers as she looks at them defiantly. Maelstrom takes the lead on the problem before Bellum does something stupid that could be injurious to them.

"It seems we have once again been too soft on you, Black Sheep. I suggest we take it up a notch. Who for the hardening of her restrictions for an indefinite period ?" He asks, turning to the rest of the faculty.

Bellum and Maelstrom raise their hands immediately followed by the Countess after half a second of reflection. Glancing at the young thief, Coach wonders if this is a bit extreme. However, she will do what it takes to protect VILE and if that means hurting the one she once saw as her daughter, then so be it. In turn she raises her hand.

"I'm going to take her back to her cell, better make sure the job is done right." Coach says as she walks over and deactivates the restraints holding Carmen. As soon as she is free, she pounces on Brunt and tries to take her down. Brunt quickly subdues her by blocking her hands behind her back, ignoring the girl's cry of pain. She drags her towards the door while avoiding Carmen's attempted attacks.

"Use this time to think about your behavior Black Sheep." Maelstrom reminds her before turning to the other two women to see what information Carmen could have given before she rebelled.

Brunt POV

As I arrive at Black Sheep's cell, I'm still wondering if this is a good idea. Of course, I have hated Carmen Sandiego with all my being for stealing my precious Lambkins. But after Poitier, I realised that Black Sheep was always like that, I was the one who had been too blind to see it. When I heard about her capture, I had wanted to kill her and had voted for it. But a small part of me thought that if we kept her here, with time and rehabilitation, I might be able to find my daughter. Opening the door and locking it behind me, I throw her against the wall.

"If you know what's good for you, you won't stand up again." Of course, she had to stand up and attack me. God, she's so stubborn. In her state she can't do anything against me and she quickly ends up on the floor as I attach her collar chain to the wall so I can get everything in place without her bothering me. I hear her struggling and pulling on the chain to free herself. How on earth can she even use her arms that much, when I had broken them just a month ago.

I pick up the special handcuffs Dr. Bellum created after her escape attempt. We agreed that we would only use them if she was out of control and the collar was no longer enough to channel her. Sighing, I move the beam containing the restraints to the middle of the room. I retrieve Black Sheep by untying his chain before handcuffing her. Stepping away, I activate the metal box by the door and the chain connecting the restraints to her wrists begins to rise until Black Sheep is fully suspended a few inches above the floor.

Turning to her, I see her looking at me angrily, squirming to try to free herself and holding back from showing her pain. These restrictions were created for this purpose, to cause her as much pain as possible. As she opens her mouth to speak, I insert a gag and tie it up.

"Enough of your tantrum. You will keep these restraints until we decide otherwise. Dr. Bellum created them especially for you. Every hour, you will receive an electric shock for several minutes, strong enough to leave a nasty scar. If I may give you a little advice, never forget that you belong to us. Your life is in our hands, and we can make it a living hell, so you better learn to live with that fact fast."

I turn to leave her cell, as I open the door, I glance at her, noticing that she's struggling as she tries unsuccessfully to touch the floor, and say, "There's one thing you don't seem to have understood, and that's that we're never going to let you leave. This dark and dusty cell will remain the only thing you can take for granted for the rest of your life." I see her eyes fill with sadness and a tear rolls down her cheek as she realises this. Crossing the threshold, I hear her muffled cries as the handcuffs shock her. Quickly I lock the thick door, muffling all noise, and retire to my quarters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.5K 1.2K 44
Life isn't always fair, especially when you're the super thief Carmen San Diego. But this story isn't about her. Well, not really anyway. In Sydney...
6.1K 221 6
This fic is meant for 13+. Nothing explicit, just some swears. "Do you miss me like I miss you?" Julia's life could be going worse. No more VILE, no...
37.6K 740 13
A caper gone wrong. Suddenly, Gray is in the midst of the crime scene once more. But whose side will he be on? Highest ranking- 3rd in #carmensandi...
34.8K 951 44
Carmen Sandiego isn't afraid of sacrificing herself for her family and for the world that she loves so dearly. So when VILE is planning something tha...