The baby swap✓

By xoxek_12

Zoe is a young and independent woman who never loses an argument. She feels that her life is finally the way... More

The baby swap
Chapter 1: Starlight diamonds
Chapter 2: Alexander
Chapter 3: I want a baby?
Chapter 4: Heir
Chapter 5: Sperm selection
Chapter 6: Surrogate
Chapter 7: Insemination
Chapter 8: The baby swap
Chapter 9: Baby for a price
Chapter 10: Baby arrangements
Chapter 11: The baby take over plan
Chapter 12: New owner
Chapter 13: Alex the control freak
Chapter 14: Playing pretentious
Chapter 15: Baby agreements (part 1)
Chapter 16: Baby agreements (part 2)
Chapter 17: The hostel plan
Chapter 18: The spy next door
Chapter 19: Paparazzi (part 1)
Chapter 20: Paparazzi (part 2)
Chapter 21: Missing Alexander
Chapter 22: Uncovering the lies
Chapter 23: The irony of a sperm donor
Chapter 24: Officially homeless
Chapter 25: A different side of Alexander
Chapter 26: The real side of Alexander
Chapter 27: Plan in motion
Chapter 28: His only friend
Chapter 29: Stargazing and a girl named Cindy
Chapter 30: His godfather Sebastian
Chapter 31: The reason he is
Chapter 32: Time apart
Chapter 33: Gone but not missed
Chapter 34: The ball
Chapter 35: Big secrets revealed
Chapter 36: Surprise, surprise
Chapter 37: Vacation
Chapter 38: La dolce vita
Chapter 39: Little miss mysterious
Chapter 40: Buried Secrets
Chapter 41: Confessions
Chapter 42: Kissing in the rain
Chapter 44: Scandalous
Chapter 45: Day of emotions
Chapter 46: Persistence is key
Chapter 47: The pressure from beneath
Chapter 48: Accident
Chapter 49: Tragedy pulls people together
Chapter 50: A misplacement
Epilogue
Credit scene
Bonus Chapter
★THE END

Chapter 43: Back to reality

74.2K 3.7K 361
By xoxek_12

Zoe's POV

Yesterday, Steven and I finally had the meeting we had planned. After everything that happened, you can imagine how awkward it was. Regardless of the whole situation, it went pretty well. I'll officially be signing a contract with him soon.

Lisha and Steven decided that they would stay back for a while, Cindy and Logan took a flight early morning because of some business meeting she had in South Korea which meant that Alex and I were left to travel back home together.

I noticed that Alex was acting a little distant, he was on his laptop for the entire flight, and he didn't say a word to me. It was almost as if he was trying to avoid me.

Maybe I was just misinterpreting this whole thing he was just busy with work.

I'm still wondering, what everything going to be like between Alex and me. Is he going to change his mind and say that this was all a mistake? It scares me to think about it.

It was clear that the honeymoon phase of our relationship was over, now we were back to reality.

After nine hours on the jet, we finally arrived back home.

When we arrived, it was just after ten a.m.

I stepped out of the jet, relieved to get some sunlight after so many hours.

Alex seemed to be in a rush, there were already two cars waiting which suggested that we weren't going together.

"Could you please wait for me at my apartment, there is something important we need to talk about," he said. "I have a meeting that I need to rush to, I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Okay," I finally managed to say.

He leaned in and kissed me on the forehead.

"I'll have the driver take you, I'll be there as soon as I can." He spoke.

Maybe I could stop by, I haven't seen JoJo in a long time, and I really miss her.

"Bye," He whispered before rushing to the car.

Maybe I was just overreacting when I thought he was ignoring me, he was just busy.

The driver packed my luggage into the car before opening the door for me.

I was welcomed back home by the heavily congested streets of New York. I didn't miss this part, maybe I should probably start travelling more.

"How was your trip ma'am?" The driver asked.

He looked to be a middle-aged man, probably in his mid-forties. He also had the friendliest smile.

"It was lovely," I answered smiling to myself, recalling everything that had happened.

I leaned onto the window, looking at the many people going about their lives.

I looked up at the tall skyscraper of Alexander's building. The last time I was here things didn't end too well.

"Can you please take my bags to my apartment?" I asked the driver.

"Sure, ma'am." He answered with a smile.

I'm sure he knew where it was, I think I saw him with Alexander before. The number to my apartment was also written onto my keychain, stupid of me in case the keys ever went lost.

I then handed him the keys.

I didn't want to take things too fast or be in any rush in case things didn't work out. It was better to take things slow.

Being back here brought back a lot of nostalgia. The penthouse was just as I had remembered, nothing had changed. It was very inviting, a part of me felt like I had never left.

A few maids were quick to welcome me back into the house.

"I am so glad you are back," JoJo said, pulling me to the kitchen.

"I'm just visiting," I answered back.

She pulled me into a hug.

"This house was so sad and cold without you. I had no one to taunt Alex with. Not that he had been staying here, he was working himself to death and sleeping in his office." She continued. "That belly of yours is getting bigger by the day." She blabbed.

I could tell JoJo was feeling talkative today. It was as if she hadn't had any human contact in the last year.

The rest of the staff all greeted me and continued with the rest of their chores.

She dished a plate full of brownies for me.

I sat at the island table, enjoying the brownies with some milk.

"How was your trip?" She asked.

"It was great," I answered taking another bite of the brownie.

Her eyes widened starting at me, it was as if she was fishing for information.

Why is everyone so curious about how my trip was?

I was literally saved by the bell, just that of my phone.

I had a message on my phone, all from Reina and Abby in our group chat.

Were they bad on their road trip yet?

What happened? -Reina

We want details now. -Abby

Call me now -Abby

Call us now -Reina

Why aren't you answering? - Reina

The messages were less than five seconds apart from each other, how does she text so fast?

I whipped the cramps off my lips.

If they were texting me, it was to be dramatic, JoJo didn't need to see that side of my friends.

"I think I'm going to go and lay down for a bit," I lied.

"Okay," JoJo answered with a big smile.

I told tell she knew I was lying.

I went upstairs back to my room. More like the room I used to sleep in because this was never really my house.

I stopped in my tracks looking at the painting of Alexander's mother.

If she took the secret of Alexander's real father to the grave, it must have been for a reason. Maybe I needed to tell him.

The room was still the same as I had left with. With the curtains covering the window, preventing any sunlight from coming in.

I dialled Reina's number, and within seconds, she had already answered.

"How was it?" Reina asked.

"What?" I asked

"Come on girl, your trip with Alex. You are basically a celebrity now; everyone is talking about it. Your face is all over the tabloids."

I was in the tabloids again; I'd have to check it out as soon as I was done with this phone call.

I opened the curtains, allowing the sunlight in. I looked down at the view, remembering just how much I had missed it here.

"Okay fine," I sighed. "We spent the day, had a picnic and went fishing." I enumerated.

"And?" Reina and Abby spoke simultaneously.

"We kissed," I finished.

The two of them started screaming in excitement. I could already imagine them right now, probably jumping up and down on the spot while hugging each other.

I had to pull my phone away from my ear just to give them a moment.

"I'm so happy for you," Reina exclaimed.

"I already have Pinterest boards planned out for your wedding," Abby added.

"So how are things between the two of you now?"

"I don't know, I'm sort of in a limbo. Earlier on he just said that we needed to talk." I answered.

"Sounds like things are getting serious," Abby said with enthusiasm.

My phone vibrated in my hand.

"Wait, I think I just got a text from him," I said looking at the screen.

I can't believe I was this excited. It was as if I was in high school all over again, I was a love-sick teenager.

"Well, hang up and text him back. You can call us later." Abby said.

"Bye," I whispered back.

I did as she said. I hang up the phone and opened it to my text messages.

I thought I'd tell you this in person, but I just want to let you know that this relationship is never going to go anywhere. It's never going to work; I've never met anyone more annoying and so conceited that you want the whole world to revolve around you. But my world doesn't.

Just letting these words out brings me great relief that I will no longer be a part of your life. You are delusional that anything would ever happen between us, there was never anything real between us, besides the obvious. I hope I never have to see you unless necessary.

P.S Please stop showing up at my house and, find some other rich guy to seduce.

The phone fell out of my hands leaving me speech. Every word replayed itself in my mind as I tried to process the situation.

So many things didn't make sense, why would he send that to me.

I thought I was being delusional when I thought he was ignoring me this morning. Was he just trying to figure out a way to break it down to me?

No, I needed an explanation out of him. He couldn't say all those things to me without explaining, it was the least I deserved.

I frantically picked up my phone from the ground. I dialled his number with my hands still shaking.

It didn't take a minute for him to answer.

"Hi, could we talk later on? I have a meeting?" He spoke.

Just like that, he hung up. Before I could yell at him to let him know just how mad I was.

I once again removed my phone from my ear speechless.

He sounded so calm as if nothing had happened at all. Did I mean nothing to him?

What did he need to talk about? Wasn't what he said in the text enough?

Maybe I needed to get out of here. I had humiliated myself enough by loving him.

The sound of footsteps dragged me out of my thoughts.

"Are you okay?" JoJo asked stepping in.

She could probably tell by how uneasy I was.

"I'm fine," I spoke trying to hold back the tears.

'Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry' I repeated the words in my mind.

But I wasn't okay, I wasn't as strong as I thought I would be to deal with this situation.

I found myself falling apart as the tears poured out. JoJo caught me in her arms before I reached the floor.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart," JoJo spoke stroking my back.

Was it ever going to be, okay? Nothing could take away this immense pain I felt.

It was my fault, just when I thought I could let him in he took my heart and crushed it.

How could I have ever fallen in love with him? I was stupid

"My heart hurts." I cried out.

She held me tight in her arms, allowing me to pour out all my feelings.

Was this a game to him? For him to see how many women he could conquer just so he could break my heart.

It took a while before I finally managed to calm down.

I wasn't going to cry anymore; I wouldn't let myself continue to be weak.

She finally let go of me, leaving me sitting on the bed.

"I'll go get you some water," she said.

I nodded, trying to wipe away the remainder of my tears.

I shouldn't be crying, it was only ever together for a day, were never agreed that we were in any kind of relationship. Better now than later.

Just then, I heard a soft knock on the door.

It couldn't have been JoJo, that would have been too quick.

Was it Alex, was he back already? I wasn't ready to face him yet.

The door shot wide open before I could respond.

I looked at the door in anticipation, carefully studying the figure that entered.

It was Sebastian, wearing his usual business suit. I knew for whatever reason he was here; it wasn't to be my friend.

"I must say, Zoe. I underestimated you." Sebastian smirked.

Just what I needed.

The faced godfather slash father.

"I thought you would be gone by now." he continued.

"I'm still here," I spoke, quickly wiping my tears away.

He didn't have to try any further to keep me away from Alex. I was never going to see him again for anything that isn't regarding the baby.

"Not even after the surprise, I got you. Remember Gerald. I thought that would do the trick." He continued.

Why did he hate me so much? What did I do to him?

So, it was him. Gerald lied when he said Alex had invited him. At least now I knew that Alex was innocent of that one small thing. I should have seen this coming.

He looked at me with a smile widening on his face. It was as if he thought he had some power over me. He wanted me to be afraid.

For the first time, I suddenly grow a backbone.

I stood up trying to match his height. Maybe if I appeared brave enough it would make up for a couple of inches that he was evidently taller than me by.

"I found out one of your little secrets. The one that you never want Alexander to find out." This time I was the one to smirk.

He maintained a calm expression. He was probably used to treats.

"I know Alexander is your son," I spoke.

He chuckled turning away.

"I don't know what you are talking about." He denied.

"Of course, you are going to start with lying," I uttered.

Maybe he didn't know, did he ever know that Claire was pregnant.

"I found out all about how you got his mother pregnant," I continued.

I kept my gaze on him, studying his every movement.

He went from being collective to unsteady and on the verge of a meltdown.

"He isn't." He repeated. "The son Claire and I had is dead." He shouted.

He covered his mouth with his hand, trying to hold himself back.

What if Alexander heard that, he shouted so loud that someone downstairs might have heard.

He sat down on the bed as the tears began to whelm up in his eyes.

For a moment I felt sorry for him.

Wait, did I believe him? He was a man capable of lying to save himself.

"Our son died soon after he was born. Claire and I went our separate ways soon after that. Sure, I look after Alexander but only because of the promise I made to his mother, I loved her." He spoke.

He held a genuine look of honesty; it was as if he was reliving the situation. Could he just be lying to deceive me?

"Alexander isn't my son but I love him as if he was. Which is why I have to protect him from someone like you." He said in his usual clinical tone.

"Get out of my house!" The two of us heard a loud yell coming from downstairs.

It sounded like Alexander, what was he screaming about.

Sebastian and I looked at each other before simultaneously deciding to go and see what had happened.

I followed behind Sebastian who seemed to have been in a hurry to see what happened.

The sound was coming from the living room.

Alexander was in a heated argument. What shocked me was whom he was with.

Rafael was standing there; the same one I had befriended. The same one I told my problems to about Alexander, the same friend who was always mysterious.

"I'll leave," Rafael spoke raising his hands. "I just wanted to finally meet my brother."

____________________________________

A/N: Hi guys, only about eight chapters left.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the story.

Did you see that coming?

Please tell me your thoughts on the story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 48.6K 52
| 𝐀 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 | When two powerful figures collide, there is bound to be a disaster. Zane Roman, a business tycoon. St...
1.5M 37.5K 31
Jade thought she had seen the last of her ex-husband, billionaire Nick Smith after he cheated and huimilated her. What happens when the cross paths...
1.1M 27.4K 74
One night of heated passion was all it takes for Zoe Jones to get knocked up. What if she wakes up and her boss Maximus Taylor was the one who she h...
1.4M 68.2K 47
Love... It's a funny thing. It makes people do things they would never dream of doing. People kill for it.... But with this man... It's something dif...