No Going Back (Nyck de Vries...

By Kelly_Kat-246

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all"-Mulan Jess Bianchi knew her life... More

The moment
Lost in your thoughts (Nyck)
The first race
Proving them wrong
The wrong kind of question and a confession
Making amends...
In Rome
Back home
Our first date
A memory in the form of a nightmare (Part 1)
A memory in the form of a nightmare (Part 2)
Trouble in Paris
The aftermath
Maybe I care too much? (Nyck)
Looking back on my first F2 race
The break is over
Too much faith?
Some more reflection
Catching up at the Monaco Grand Prix
Backwards at the Monaco E-Prix
The role model she needs
A promise
Drama in Mexico (Race 1)
Drama in Mexico (Race 2)
A new friend
Family drama
Somewhere new
Welcome to New York (Race 1)
A conversation remembered
A different kind of interview
Tourists in London
Gaining ground in London (Race 1)
Gaining ground in London (Race 2)
A break from racing
A relaxing day at the beach and a request for help (Nyck)
The finale in Berlin (Race 1)
The finale in Berlin (Race 2)
I couldn't have done it without you

Welcome to New York (Race 2) *Nyck's POV*

60 2 0
By Kelly_Kat-246

I screwed up. Big time. I should have followed the team's orders. Instead, I let my ego get the better of me. Now Jess is at risk of losing the championship lead because of my stupid actions. At least this time I have a chance to make things right. If Jess ends up behind me I will let her pass no matter what. Hopefully, that will make things right with Jess. If not I will think of something to make it right. I realise that I may be going a little hard on myself but actions have consequences. Right now I am getting ready for the third free practice session. I am getting a brief from Albert. To be honest I am a little distracted by my thoughts about the upcoming race. Well more the fact that I need to make it up to Jess before London. Like Ian said to me yesterday, we need to work together.

"Are you alright Nyck?" Albert suddenly checks on me.

"Honestly, no. I screwed up yesterday," I responded as I hung my head in shame. I wish I could tell Jess how I really feel. The thing is she has made it clear to me that she still hates me. I can understand where she is coming from but it is in the past.

"I'm sure Jess will forgive you at some point. You just need to focus on the free practice session," Albert responds. He is right but it bothers me that I made a stupid mistake. It was a mistake that could have ended with much worse consequences for both Jess and I.

"That's the thing, Albert. My guilt is weighing on my mind," I hate the fact that I am feeling guilty when I can just make amends later. Ok, it might not be as easy as one would think but I have a duty to make things right.

"Let's focus on FP3 for now. Then we'll make a plan," Albert responds. He is right. I need to focus on the race. There is not much that I can do right now. As Albert said, we can make a plan later. With that out of the way, I get my balaclava and helmet on. I take a deep breath as I get comfortable in the car. I'll be fine so long as I don't screw up again. After a brief pause, I am sent out. It doesn't take me long to realise that I would be the only Mercedes driver out on track. Maybe I should offer to help Jess' lead mechanic once I am done with the free practice session. The answer will probably be no.

"I'm going to do a couple of full power laps," I announce via the radio.

"Ok. copy," Albert responds. With that, I make the required adjustments. I get to work on getting the car around the track at full power. After thirty minutes of work, the third has come to an end and I am relieved. I am not really in the headspace for action. I know I shouldn't dwell on the past but I screwed up and want to make amends. Now that I have a small break I head to Jess' side of the garage but I am quick to turn around. It turns out the feeling of guilt has led me to feel embarrassed. Plus I think Jess wants to avoid me anyway. With that, I find myself in the hospitality area. I just want this day to end. As if on queue it gets worse.

"Nyck we need to talk," Jess announces as she joins me. I can tell that she is still angry at me which is fair.

"About?" I respond even though she is going to want to talk about what happened yesterday.

"Albert told me how you really feel. I need to apologise for wanting to lash out," Jess apologises for some reason. That was quick however I am a little confused as I feel like the apology was too quick. The thing is I know how long it takes Jess to get over her emotions.

"No Jess. You have every right to be angry. I screwed up big time," I counter. Jess seems to consider what I am saying.

"I'm still angry but we need to work together," Jess says. She is right. I need to help her get the points that she needs to win the championship. It looks like there is hope for my plan. We shall see what happens. Despite Jess' apology I still feel guilty. I just wish I could turn back time and listen to Albert. Oh well, I can't do anything about it as it is in the past. Like Jess said we need to work together. For the next hour, Jess and I awkwardly avoided each other. At least we were able to work something out. Right now I am getting ready for qualifying. Even though my conversation with Jess was short it has put my mind at ease.

"Thank you for talking to Jess for me," I find myself thanking Albert. As always he has his head buried in his data.

"I was only doing my job. Someone has to," He responds without even flinching. He is sounding like he is my father. He is supposed to be looking after the car. Not me. Oh well. At least that means he is doing his job. With the fluff out of the way, I turn my attention to the broadcast which is showing the first group qualifying session. I notice a streak of silver flying through the course. That means that Jess' team was able to get the car ready in time. A small amount of relief makes its way up. It doesn't take long for my turn to arrive. I am quick to get my balaclava and helmet on. After a minute of waiting, the time has come for me to start the second qualifying session. With a swift gesture, I am sent out.

"Albert I am going to get the push laps done as soon as possible," I announce via the radio.

"Copy. I'll keep you updated on the traffic," Albert responded. I can hear the uncertainty in Albert's voice. After a few laps of pushing I have done the best that I can. After thirty tense minutes of waiting my qualifying session has come to an end. I am in P7 which means I have just missed out on the Superpole shootout. Luckily for my plan, Jess has made it. Right now we are watching Jess via the broadcast. She is making it look easy. It doesn't take long for her to complete the lap. After five minutes. The Superpole shootout has come to an end. Jess has gotten her second pole position of the year. At least everything is falling into place in regards to my plan.

It has been a couple of hours since then and I am feeling a little apprehensive. My eyes are glued to the lights. After what feels like an eternity a single light comes on. I hit the accelerator to get some heat into the tires. After a second the last car has made it into the last grid slot. The five lights come on one by one. This is my one chance to make things better between Jess and I. Lights out. Again I hit the accelerator. This time I guided the car around the Dragon Penske car which got a slower start. After a few laps, I managed to make it up to third place.

"Albert, do you think that I could use the attack mode boost to get ahead of Sam?" I double-check.

"I'd hold off for a couple of laps. Kai's just ordered Jess to take her first boost and she is going to come out behind you," Albert replies.

"Ok. Copy," I acknowledge. After a few defensive moves against Mitch, I glance at my mirrors to find that the Jaguar has been replaced by the other Mercedes. I slow down just enough so that Jess can pass.

"Albert, can you let Kai know that I'm letting Jess through," I make Albert aware of the reason why I am slowing down.

"Already done," Albert responds as Jess pulls past me. With that out of the way, I quickly get to work on making sure that she has enough of a gap so that she can focus on catching Sam Bird. After a couple of laps, it is my turn to take my first attack mode boost. It is a tight squeeze but I manage to get the car's nose just ahead of Mitch's car. It doesn't take long for me to pull a small gap. I soon caught the Jaguar of Sam Bird. I get to work on getting past Sam. He is not making it easy. So long as it keeps the pressure away from Jess. After forty minutes of pushing it came down to the last lap. I know I am not going to get first but I am going to try my best to snatch second from Sam. I make the lunge for second place at the last corner. It looks like I have carried enough speed to get past Sam. It is close as we come across the line.

"Congratulations Nyck, that is P2," Albert confirms my feeling.

"Jess has P1. Right?" I ask.

"Yes," Albert replies. That makes it a Mercedes 1-2. I just hope that Jess can forgive me. After the cool-down lap, I bring the car to a safe stop next to Jess' car. After a bit of admin and media stuff, I made it to the cool-down room where Jess is.

"Thank you Nyck," Jess remarks.

"For?" I question even though I know what she is going to thank me for.

"Actually letting me pass," Even though her thankfulness is sincere I can still hear the anger in her voice. I feel a little hurt by those words but I am sure we will talk it out during the break. I leave the conversation alone as Sam has joined us. It doesn't take long for the podium ceremony to begin. After the French National Anthem plays out I shake the bottle of champaign. I send most of the liquid flying into Jess. Well, the first race was a disaster (I will take the blame) but I managed to pull it back with a good points haul. I just hope that I don't screw up again. 

A/N I will admit this is not my best chapter however it is something different. Yes, I am asking for feedback again. That's what the comment section is for. At least the drama has ended for now. Well, that is until the London E-Prix. Anyway as this is an author's note I am going to ask that you vote and/or comment. As well if you have any questions about this story feel free to ask. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 181 26
You know, I had the perfect life. Daddy would get me anything I asked. We were filthy rich. If I got in trouble, Daddy paid to get me out. But I rare...
913K 23.6K 34
Gabriella Bianchi is a girl who was taken away from her five brothers, mom and dad at the young age of five. Now, nine years later, she is living wit...
3.2K 398 27
A teen from a racing family must choose between family obligations and the singing career he longs for. *** Mason's parents had a dream. They wanted...
5.3K 129 11
~I can get lost in your brown eyes forever~ "But she doesn't have brown eyes?" "No, she doesn't, but you do!" {Their cars, like extensions of their...