When Souls Awaken

By HopefulAttempt

In a world that has never known mages, the phoenix god decides to shake things up, changing the soul of a hum... More

1: The Phoenix Rises
2. The Black Dog
3. An Unimpressive Friend
4. Another True Friend
5. The Fire Burns
6. A New Day
7. Playful Shadows
8. Unfortunate Soul
9. Burned Skin
10. A Destination
11. A Darkened Path
12. Rising Tide
13. Wavering Flame
14. Rumors in the Ashes
15. Falling Further from the Light
16. Closed Doors
17. Defining a Demon
18. Flickering Emotions
19. Stoking the Flames
20. Melting Hearts
21. Blinded By Panic
22. A Light in the Dark
23. Fissures in the Beam
24. To Be Noticed
25. Different Paths Intertwined
26. Learning Through Pain
27. Blossoming Knowledge
28. Luck and Knowledge
29. Same Direction, Different Paths
30. Gifts
31. A Night Out
32. Swimming
33. The Past is Real
34. Another
35. Knowing Gods
36. Luck
37. The Beam Still Stands
38. New Lessons
39. Training
40. Growing Pains
41. As Years Pass
42. Warmth For the Night
43. To Protect
44. Lost Dog
45. Unicus
46. Dragon Cake
47. Promises of the Heart
48. Scarred Trees
49. Dark Lights
50. Interruptions
51. Strange Dreams
52. Watchdog
53. Stew: The Reckoning
54. Blind Sights
55. With Eyes Wide Open
56. Praying Gods
57. Introductions
58. Final Judgement
59. Feeling Fear
60. As Days Go By
61. Heartbeats
62. Understanding What is Missing
63. Oversized Shirts
64. Past Flames, Present Feelings
65. Good Advice
66. Dates and Fates
67. Fates and Dates
68. Catching Up
69. Where Faults Lie
70. Addressing Issues
71. Faithful to the Deserving
72. Old Habits and Teasing
73. Rescues to Thank
74. Being Sure
75. Claws of a Cat
76. Birds Who Speak
77. Everyone Wants a Better Future
78. Flickering Moods
79. Everton
80. The Tragedy of Cakes
81. Whispering Rumors
82. Valiant Steeds
83. A Stanceless Stand
84. The Bleeding Hearts
85. The Want to Be Selfish
86. Leadership and Faith
87. To Protect
88. The Illuminated Darkness
89. Only A Short Time
91. Apart
92. Missing Heart
93. Moving
94. The Cause
95. Cordis Sanguinem
96. Meanwhile
97. Seedlings
98. Heaven Nor Hell
99. Loving Advice
100. Back to Normal... Kinda
101. A Farewell Gift
102. Connections
103. Welcome Home
104. Rooms
105. A Bit of Gossip
106. Almost Home
107. Inspiring Words
108. Someone Trusted
109. To Be Right
110. The Shattered
111. When the Missing Becomes the Lost
112. Trying Their Best
113. Existence is Pain but Life is Salvation.
114. More Than a Heart
115. Forever.
A Goddess's Confession

90. Questions of War

1 0 0
By HopefulAttempt

The sun slowly began to rise, peaking through the window of Allura's room to gently warm Axis. He grumbled, and groaned in his sleep, dreaming of Allura's touch, of her lips trailing down his neck and chest until she'd graze her teeth against the skin of his hip, and he gasped awake. The feeling was more than a dream as it continued, and his face turned crimson with his sight finally coming into focus.

"A-Allura?!" he chirped, looking down at her innocent smile, but her eyes spoke nothing of innocence. "Y-your awake?!" he blurted. "What are you doing?" he pressed, struggling to compose himself, and a soft laugh escaped her lips.

"Waking you up," she teased, and he frowned with a mix of conflicting emotions.

"You're recovering," he forced himself to say while carefully moving her until she laid on top of him.

"How long has it been?" Allura pressed timidly, and he gently brushed the hair from her face.

"Two days this time," he answered, slipping his arms around her back as she sunk into him. "We're at the clinic."

"I'm sorry," she mumbled against his chest.

"It- it's fine..." Axis sighed, gently rubbing her back. "I'll always be here when you wake up."

"I love you, Axis."

"I love you too, Allura," he sweetly returned the sentiment before a sly smile crept on to her lips.

"Fuck recovery," she cooed. "I wanna make up for the past two days," she added while kissing his neck.

"Curo will kill me," Axis grumbled with his hands sliding on to her hips. "Plus I want you to- FUCK! Allura!" he growled with a gasp as she grinded against him.

"Please?"

"Fuck it, I tried. At least I'll die with a smile."

~

Sweat glistened over Allura's body as she laid forward on Axis with a happy sigh, and he gently stroked her hair with a smile threatening to break his face.

"You okay, babe?" he questioned with his concern slowly seeping back in, and she happily hummed against his chest.

"I'm more than okay when I'm with you," she giggled, and his eyes widened slightly for a moment.

"By the gods you're just- well... perfect," he breathed as his hand slid on to her back, tracing her spine. "Do you realize it's only been a month?"

"It could be days or years, and I'd love you the same," she hummed with a sly smile creeping back on to her lips, "if not more."

"You're more than welcome to love me the way you just did any time," he snickered, and she sighed against his chest.

"You're terrible," she teased.

"Says the one that jumped me," Axis fired back, and Allura stuck her tongue out at him, earning a chuckle. "As tempting as that is, babe, you need to rest," he added as his tone grew stern, and excitement flickered in her eyes before he placed a hand over them. "Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?" Allura pressed with a coy smile, pulling his hand down, and shifting her hips against him, earning a small groan.

"Allura," he sighed while biting his lip, and he gently rolled them over before kissing her sweetly. "You had your fun. Now behave," he ordered, and she sighed in defeat.

"Fine," she whined as he pulled himself from her, and laid beside her. "I guess I should let them know I'm up," she relented, and Axis gently pulled her against his side.

"Can't I just have you to myself?" he complained while tracing small circles on her arm.

"I don't want to make Flora worry more than she already has," Allura answered, and he sighed.

"Alright... Let me help you get dressed then."

It wasn't long before Axis finished helping Allura with getting dressed, and the two made their way to the kitchen.

"AL!" Flora exclaimed, rushing to her beloved friend only to crash into the protective phoenix's outstretched hand, and he shielded Allura against his side. "R-right, sorry! I'm just- I'M SO HAPPY!" she cried as Axis lowered his arm, reluctantly releasing Allura, and Flora hugged her much more sensibly than she would have.

"I'm sorry," Allura whispered, gently stroking Flora's head as they embraced.

"No, you saved all of us," Flora sniffled. "You did good."

"Good to see you awake," Curo hummed, and he patted Allura's head as he walked by, heading straight for the coffee pot. "So what's this Cordis Sanguinem business?" he pressed without hesitation, pouring himself a fresh cup before looking at them, and he glanced at Axis with a slight scowl. "You mess up my handy work, and you'll be my next experiment," Curo threatened, and Axis's eyes widened.

"But-! I didn't-" Axis stuttered for a moment before scowling. "You know what?!" he barked before a smirk graced his lips. "She's worth it," he chimed, and Allura blushed faintly while Curo sighed into his cup with Flora snickering.

"If she's worth it, you wouldn't screw around with her healing," Curo retorted, and Axis's mouth fell open to counter, but after a moment he looked away, rubbing the back of his head. "Now, Cordis Sanguinem?" Curo restated before sipping his coffee and looking at Allura.

"Bleeding hearts," Allura answered, and Curo motioned for her to follow.

"I am well aware of what it means," he sighed, leading Allura to the exam room with Axis and Flora following along like puppies. "But what are you planning to do? Are you joining the war?" he pressed disapprovingly, and he motioned for Allura to sit on the table.

"It looks that way," Allura confirmed his suspicions. "My plans are the same as before. I'm still traveling and helping the victims, but now I have people doing the same... Helping me," she spoke slowly, carefully picking her words with the last two tasting foreign on her tongue.

"Well... at least you're accepting help," Curo took the win he could, and gently ushered her onto her back while handing his coffee off to Flora. "What is your goal?" he pressed, placing one hand against Allura's stomach and the other on her chest.

"End the wars," Allura stated as though it were simple. "I want to see more places like Sanctum," she added, and Flora's eyes widened slightly while Axis frowned.

"At what cost?" Curo questioned with a warmth spreading from his touch, soothing any aches Allura had.

"I don't care," Allura answered coldly, but a gentle smile soon reached her lips and a soft warmth caressed her voice, "as long as our family is safe."

"You can do that without joining the war," Curo retorted, maintaining a calm expression despite what he actually felt.

"Maybe, but... There are people like the group we found," Allura reminded him, and Curo removed his hands while she carefully sat up to look him in the eye. "And I like them... I can see us in them," she revealed, and Curo's eyes widened slightly before shaking his head, gently taking her broken arm in his grip.

"You can't sit still. How are you going to travel and lead? And you are going to need a base," he countered before casting a warning glare at Allura. "Don't even think of using Sanctum," he growled defensively, and shock flickered over Flora's face, but Allura laughed softly.

"I know Sanocuro better than to use his asylum for war," Allura teased, and Curo let out a heavy sigh.

"I wasn't sure if the trial-"

"I still pay respects where it is deserved, Curo," Allura assured him with a gentle smile, but he could see a deep pain in her eyes. "I understand why you and Rixa took your stances the way you did," she added quietly, and the same gentle warmth from before radiated through her arm from Curo's touch.

"What's she talking about?" Axis pressed in confusion. "Didn't you support her?!"

"No," Curo answered honestly, and flames flickered over Axis. "Rixacaelus stood against her... Only one god besides the almighty supported Allura."

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Axis snapped. "Didn't she do a bunch of shit for all you useless gods?!" he spat, and Curo glared at him.

"Why do you think there was a trial instead of an execution?" Curo coldly questioned before letting out a heavy sigh. "You should know that it was Larsolis who voted to spare her."

"Gratianon did as well," Allura quietly reminded him. "But that's the past right? Time to look to the future," she stated, earning both of their attention. "Are you done? I need to go talk with Max and the others," she added with a hollowed smile, and Curo let go of her before Flora handed him back his coffee. "Thanks Curo," Allura hummed, and she slipped off the table. "Come on guys."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dusk By des

Vampire

20.8K 1.4K 61
**MATURE CONTENT & COMPLETED** A smart-mouth 23 year old girl looks normal, but is anything but that. She's a highly skilled hunter who trained day a...
6.6K 967 22
[COMPLETE] A rambly angel. A debonair demon. A very stuck elevator... NIRAEL has never been the best angel. A little too loud, always in the wrong pl...
419K 17K 68
"It's always been you, Phoenix. You are the one who makes me the happiest. Just being in the same room as you gives me god damn butterflies. Hearing...
733K 26.4K 37
Sam, a shy, 16 year old, closeted lesbian who has anxiety issues and abusive parents meets Avery, a soon to be Beta, who wasn't expecting to find her...