Babysitting The Special Agent...

By idyllic-doodle-cat

Five deadly special agents. One ordinary girl plucked from the masses to watch over them. What could possibl... More

-INTRO-
-PRONUNCIATION & MAPS-
2: The One With Choices
3: And Connie Starts Her Journey
4: Befriending Special Agents Is Tricky
5: In Which Tarryker Reveals & Conceals
6: Planning Helps, Right?
7: Everything falls apart (literally)
8: The One With Three Discoveries
9: Shopping, The Best Team Bonding
10: In Which Pastries Are The Catalyst
11: Tear drops, Tinkering And Tiffs
12: The Party Was Falsely Advertised
13: And Another One Goes Wrong
14: The One Where Connie Doesn't Get A Break
15: Discipline Makes A Good Agent
16: In Which Blue Snaps
17: Putting Together Puzzle Pieces
18: Growing Despite Tragedy
19: Something Unexpected Changes Everything (1)
19: Something Unexpected Changes Everything (2)
20: In Which Plans Are Made
21: The One With Movies and Missions
22: Death's A Frequent Topic This Chapter
23: Secrets, Suspicions and Food
24: Another Secret In The Mix
25: Connie Ends The Secrecy
26: In Which Cafes Are Not Safe
27: Hospitals, Family and Feelings
28: What Do We Do Now?
29: I Spy Two Options
30: Shovels And The Power Of No
31: In Which They Still Want Laconni
32: The One That's Beginning And End
-OUTRO-

1: In Which They Want Laconni

91 11 51
By idyllic-doodle-cat

-LACONNI-

Relief blankets me like a heavy snow when the skysailer docks in Olohidso, the familiar landscape more beautiful to my eyes than any other. Clanging and shouting rings out as anchors are thrown and we come to land, my ears are dead to it all as I rush to the gate, searching for my Dad as I wait for it to open.

I'm still searching for him as I weave through luggage carrying carts and stressed passengers. I don't even have time to be thankful that I'm finally off the skysailer and out of the open air because I hear him. "Connie!" His rough voice barks, "over here."

"Dad," I grin, flying into his arms.

"Those stupid storms." He whispers into my curly hair as he squeezes me close.

"Promise I won't leave the house next time." I try not to sound too sheepish as I mumble about my amateur mistake. Even animals know to stay inside during Element storms. "To be fair to me though," I say as I pull away, "I didn't know it was a teleportation storm."

My dad huffs unhappily and I decide not to tell him about how I ended up in someone's pond on the island of Orta, one of Fratupla's 22 beautiful islands. "Did you know Frastupla has 22 islands?" I say, trying to fill the silence.

"Yes." My dad replies. There's a beat before he says, "Did you know there's a job opening at your sisters school?"

And just like that all the joy I felt flees the scene. "I told you." I say, "I don't want to work at the school."

"Connie," Dad rubs his eyes and I know the look on his face, 'the where did I go wrong' look. "If this is because you don't want to work with Betha—"

"It's not that," I interrupt, I wouldn't mind working with my sister if it was a job I wanted; but it's not. It doesn't sing to my soul, I don't want to teach children like my sister or douse fires like my brother. I want to find something that feels right, a job that's my true calling.
I could never tell my Dad that, he'd roll his eyes and tell me to get over my silly notions. He loves me and I know that, but somewhere in our relationship wires got tangled and he blames himself for my lack of ambition.

He sighs again, "I don't want to fight when you've just got home." He adjusts his work tie, "I have to get back to work but you can head home and I'll see you for dinner."

"Ok," I say, wishing I could tell him that I've got my next steps in life, just to see him smile. Instead of lying I give him a final hug and leave him to continue his work as dock master.

I kick a piece of gravel along the road with my scruffy brown boots as I exit the sailer yard and walk down the cobbled road.
When I reach our small grey stone house my eyes do a sweep of it, making a checklist: my mother's garden could do with some weeding and the houses coloured glass windows are in need of a clean, but first I want to whip up a batch of my Dads favourite butter seed bread, in hopes of buttering him up, buttering him up butter bread, get it?

I freeze mid chuckle when an unfamiliar voice addresses me by my full name. "Laconni Burna Esterean?"

I turned nervously to the two people (who looked like they could definitely have some giant or ogre ancestors) dwarfing the white picket fence they stand in front of. "Yes," I said, "that's me, can I help you?"

The woman stepped forward, "we're going to have to ask you to come with us."

"Why?" I asked, fiddling with the slightly rusted keys in my hand, "and on what authority?" These weren't my local policemen, that was for sure. Most of the local police were shorter than me and they wore hideous purple vests.

Instead of answering with words she holds up a badge. A badge the size of my palm, golden and blue with a crest on it. A crest that had three silver stars in one corner and four in the other. Seven stars, that signified power and authority above almost everyone in any of the lands.

Someone with the seven star authority wanted to speak to me. Me.

"Have I done something?" My voice shakes slightly as I put the keys in the pocket of my polka-dot skirt. "I don't understand."

"It'll all be explained later." The women says, "now if you could come with us please," she gestures to an average looking car.

"My dad," I say, "I just got back and—"

"Someone will inform him." She says, "Now, Ms Esterean, please get into the car."

"Ok." I practically squeak as I get into the back of the car, shutting the silver door and sitting down on the cushioned seat. Both of the Seven Stars sit in the front, pressing a few buttons before we start to drive.

The blood in my veins seems to have been replaced with cold anxiety as I tremble, everything feels as though I'm in a dream, my movements are slow and my brain seems unable to comprehend what's going on. One of the Stars gives me a look and I feel completely pathetic, like a little whimpering mess of pathetic-ness. Is that even a word? Well it is now and it is me.

No, no it's not. I drum my fingers on my leg and take a deep breath. I'm Laconni Burna Esterean and I am not a whimpering mess. I'm confident and I have nothing to fear; I've never done—or aided anyone else in doing—anything wrong.

Except when I was three and I painted an awful 'mural' on the village hall, or when I was twelve and I unknowingly befriended a mass shoplifter, or when I as sixteen and went to a house party where I helped set up the projector so we could watch a movie that had been a recording of it playing in the cinema, which I'm pretty sure was illegal.

But people don't get arrested by Seven Star bearing people for those crimes, if you could even call them crimes.

But am I being arrested? I haven't got cuffs on so maybe I'm not.
But then we pull up outside the police station and I'm lead inside. Oh sweet baby potatoes I'm definitely being arrested. What will my dad think? He'll be furious, so furious no butter seed bread will solve it.

We walk through the painted stone halls, unquestioned by anyone, towards a small questioning room with a door that looks pretty heavy duty. They point at the wooden chair as they shut the door, several locks clicking as it slams shut.

The only light in the room comes from a tiny rectangular window that has bars across it, bars. I try to swallow my fear to ask something, to demand to know why I'm here when the male Star takes out what looks to me, like an ordinary watch. However judging by how carefully he handles it as he places it on the table I'm assuming it's not ordinary.

Oh sweet baby potatoes what if it's some kind of torture device? And I won't be able to tell them anything because I haven't done anything. I've spent the last week in Frastupla waiting for my storm victim papers to go through so I could go home.

Or what if something went wrong with the papers? The thought fills me with dread that increases as the agent presses a button on the watch and a mini projection beams out.

For a moment I forget my fear because that is so cool, don't get me wrong we have portable call projectors here on Olohidso but none this small and all mini ones only play back calls, this looks like it's happening live.

There's a woman's bright blue projection in front of me, flicking a long braid over her shoulder as she stares at me with a hard frown, a frown that reminds me I'm not here to marvel over their cool technology. "Laconni Burna Esterean, aged 19, born on the 31st of Faeert in the year 20[REDACTED]."

"That's me." I say, looking at the woman and summoning every ounce of courage in me, "and you are?"

The woman barks a laugh, "Funny." She says in a voice that doesn't sound amused at all. I fight to keep my face from betraying my inner panic. "I'm Agent Lizal, of the special agencies league department E."

"The what?" I ask, wondering if she's made this up, perhaps this is all some elaborate welcome back prank.

"S.A.L, the special agencies league, a top secret organisation designed to maintain peace and minimise threats across Pasefo—with as little disruption as possible." My mind reels. "We're made up of several different departments all filled with skilled, efficient and trained individuals that work as one unique organisation; always improving, always working and always developing. And for our latest development, we want you, Laconni Esterean."

-AUTHORS NOTE-

Helllo!

What are your thoughts on the chapter? On Connie? Her dad? S.A.L?

If mysterious people came to your house looking for you how would you react?

Would you like the next chapter next Monday or on Friday? Or never? 👀

Over and out,
Doodle cat

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 4.1K 37
ACTION - SCI/FI - ROMANCE Cara has no memory of her life before and after this mission it will be the same. Wipe the slate clean until she is needed...
357 1 53
Charismagic will change your life forever. Like it did to hers... When Sofia, the unsuspecting owner of a gift-wrapping service, enters her shop one...
1.4K 444 47
All genres and categories available. Española, Portuguesa, Türk, Française, Italiana, Deutsche, العربية, Russian 05. Romance (General) 06. Teen Ficti...
1.1K 406 50
Tobi and Valor are two sisters living with their mother, Kristal in a future world called Ultimata. Ultimata is a world where hidden magic resides am...