The Way We Were

By lovely_k94

In Delhi, 1989, Arnav Singh Raizada was the heartthrob of his convent school. In Lucknow, 1989, Khushi Kumari... More

Author's Note: AN INTRODUCTION
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Author's Note: INTERMISSION
Interlude
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Procrastination
Epilogue

Chapter 12

725 69 6
By lovely_k94

(Living Nightmare)

A flash of light distracted Arnav from his conversation with Akash. He looked on, his whole body going through a reflex. He was familiar with it, too.

It was the feeling engulfing him when she had walked into Bal Bharati corridor, right into his arms. It was the feeling enveloping him when she had walked into Oxford corridor, right into his arms. It was the feeling when he had slept peacefully on a fucking flight, of all the places. It was the feeling when he had wanted to visit old classrooms and the godforsaken library over winter break. It was the feeling he got every time he visited the cafe with Akash over the past few months. It was Khushi Kumari Gupta, his living, walking, breathing nightmare.

Inadvertently, he took a step forward, for she was only an arm's distance away. Reflexively, she took a step back, stumbling and falling down. Before he could safeguard her in his arms, her head had hit the ground. "Khushi!"

The crowd roared, some at the sight of burning flames, some at the sight of Khushi.

"Khushi beta?"

He saw a woman, a very familiar woman rush to her.

"Beta, open your eyes." She coddled her, as if she was her child. "Satya ji, please help!" She called to someone.

"Bhai, we should-"

"Help, yes. We should help. Go get the car out." Arnav ordered and moved closer. "Khushi, come on open your eyes dammit!"

The woman shielded her, however. "Who are you?"

"I'm her friend, Aunty." He touched her cheek. She was cold and sweaty.

"Khushi doesn't have any friends here. Satya ji, do you see him?" The woman called again. "Khushi is really weak, I can't carry her to the car."

"No, not anywhere." A woman called from the crowd.

Arnav built his resolve. He bent down and picked her up.

"Beta, what are you doing? Who are you?"

"I'm Arnav Singh Raizada. And I'm taking my friend to the hospital." He saw something akin to hope and trust bud in the woman's eyes.

"Arnav? Aman's friend?"

"Yes. Now let's go." He walked away, without waiting to see if she would follow.

Halfway through the crowd, he saw Shivaay and Anika talking to Akash. When Akash noticed and turned to him, Anika turned too. "Oh my god, is she okay?"

"She fainted, what do you think? Open the damn door."

Anika followed his orders and got in as well, holding Khushi close.

"Shivaay, which is the nearest hospital?" Arnav asked. Being a student at Oxford, he only ever needed to go to the medical department. But that would be uncalled for a non-student at this hour.

"Our campus."

"We can't go there. Khushi is not a student." Akash tried to reason.

"Actually, she is." Arnav and Akash turned to see the woman who had held Khushi, followed by a man.

"What do you mean she's a student?"

"What kind of friend are you, Arnav?" The man pressed. "Is this the time to question everything? Young man, drive to campus straight away. Shivaay, you're coming with us."

Arnav shut his flap and got in the car. Puzzled still, he called to Anika. "How does that Aunty know Shivaay?" Akash started the car, at breakneck speed.

"She is Khushi's local guardian. Shivaay is my fiance. Two and two make four, ASR." Anika snapped.

Arnav shook his head. Something, there was something very small yet very big that he was missing. "I know that woman. Where have I seen her?" He realized the car was slowing and Akash was staring at him.

"Really Bhai? You go to her cafe every week. You eat her food, every week." The car took a right turn and accelerated again.

"Actually," Anika smirked. "You eat Khushi's food every week."

"What?!" Arnav turned around completely, his seat belt pricking him. "She's... she's working? Then how is she a student? Wait, the only way Khushi would be a student was if..." He didn't want to think it.

"If?" Akash prompted.

Arnav looked at the love of his life, hiding from him in plain sight since months. "She hasn't cleared her arrears yet."

"Bingo." Anika spat.

(Secrets in the night)

Arnav waited outside the medical room, pacing as Akash sat holding his head. Mrs Yadav and Anika were inside the ward with the on-call doctor.

Arnav heard footsteps and looked up to see Shivaay, Mr Yadav and Shivaay's uncle approaching them. Dr Oberoi went into the ward without so much as a knock.

"Did the doctor give any information yet?" Mr Yadav asked.

"No. Your wife asked that we not be let in." He wondered why Dr Oberoi was required here at all. Wasn't he a gynecologist? "What's happening?"

"None of your concern, young man. We'll take care of her. You both can actually call it a night." There was some disdain in the tone.

"I'm not calling it a night. I have a right to know that my friend is okay!"

"Bhai, let's leave."

"No Akash! I want to know what's going on."

"Then listen carefully ASR." Shivaay's tone was threatening, Arnav could tell. "My sister has fainted because of you. She hides because of you. She's lost track of herself because of you!"

Sister? What was Shivaay on about? "Khushi doesn't have a brother." He would bet his life on it. And Oberois and Guptas were far too different classes to mingle, anyway.

"Well, she does now. You might have known my sister when she was 10, when she was 16, when she was 20. But she's 22, and you didn't even know she lived in the same city as you. Says a lot about friendship, don't you think, ASR?"

Arnav wanted to fight but Shivaay had a point. Why didn't he know that Khushi was in London? But didn't he? London never felt different, never felt lonely to him. "I will stay."

"No, you won't. One sight of you sent her spiraling. I don't want to see you around her, you get that?"

Akash caught his arm, dragging him out the building as Arnav let Shivaay's words sink into skin.

(Early bird gets the worm)

Akash walked into the flat in a daze. He had a strong feeling that he should have spoken sooner.

Hadn't he thought back in November that he had seen Khushi right in the flight seat ahead of them? He had put it down to hallucination. Again at Christmas, he had seen a familiar silhouette behind the glass panes of an examination room. He had put it down to denial. Then at Valentine's, was it Khushi who had seen him and created the mess at the kitchen door? He had put the food taste down to homesickness. He had seen the signs everywhere and not once mentioned it to his brother.

He had been afraid, he realized. Afraid of his brother's reaction at the mention of Khushi Kumari Gupta. Afraid he'd continue his ASR mode would he track her down in the same city as him. Afraid he'd retreat further inside the walls that he had created. But Akash should have done what he was about to do now, a long time ago.

A few short rings later, Akash heard the familiar voice of their friend. "Good morning. Mathur's residence. Lavanya speaking."

"Hello, Lavanya. It's Akash."

There was a pause. "Aman is freshening up. Can you call back in an hour?"

"I want to talk to you."

Another pause. "I'm listening."

"Bhai saw Khushi today."

"It was bound to happen sometime. Are they both okay?"

"Bhai is hysterical. And Khushi, she's at the hospital."

"Hospital?! What happened Akash?" Lavanya demanded.

"We were at a ground for Holika Dahan. I saw him notice something. When I looked, Khushi was lying on the ground."

"She fainted on seeing him?" The ever dramatic Lavanya added her flair.

"That can't be it Lavanya. That cafe owner...."

"Sudha Aunty?" Prompted Lavanya.

"Yes. She said Khushi's weak. Dr Oberoi rushed into our university to take care of the matter. Lavanya, please tell me that Khushi is okay." Because if she wasn't, what must be Payal going through.

"Khushi was okay when she left back in November. She was supposed to be back last week to spend Holi with us. But another wedding came up for next week."

Akash tried to think clearly. "I don't know about weddings, but Shivaay and Anika missed a party last Saturday. And we all know how strict they are about their commitments."

"Then they might know what happened. I'm serious Akash, find out what happened. Dr Oberoi is gynecologist, you know. It might be something serious or something private. Her parents should know about it."

"Well, Shivaay bit Bhai's head off when he asked."

"Are you telling me that Shivaay Oberoi was angry?"

"Yes."

"What did ASR do?"

"ASR did what?" Akash heard his friend's voice.

"Sweetie, I'll fill you in later. You need to be prepared for this. But first, go get breakfast." Lavanya ordered. "Listen Akash, we all know that those two are volatile with each other without realizing it. Aman has handled ASR for years, but that doesn't mean that my husband is his punching bag. If Shivaay is angry, then let them sort it out. Although, if Khushi's situation worsens, I suppose I'll know from.... well, I'll know. But I'd like it if you tried to find anyway. Without getting in the middle or Arnav and Khushi or ASR and Shivaay."

It sounded like an ultimatum. "I'm not made for this, Lavanya."

"Well, neither is my husband. It's ASR we are talking about, not Arnav. When he is back to being himself, tell him to give his best friend a call. It's been a while. Good night, Akash."

Akash looked at the receiver, wondering what had changed. Lavanya Kashyap had never been rude to him before. This was new.

(3am talks)

Anika Singh heard the telephone ring as Shivaay opened the flat. "Who's calling at this hour?"

"Who do you think?" Anika raised an eyebrow. "Bet a coffee it's Lavanya."

"I don't take stupid bets."

The call dropped before Anika could get to it. So, she went ahead and changed for bed first. She heard the phone ring yet again, Shivaay picking it up.

"How did you know that?"

She splashed cold water on her face. This night would haunt her. Never had she thought Arnav Singh Raizada had a heart.

"Well, he bloody deserved it!"

She pulled a towel and wiped her face. As she came out and looked at her fiance, he seemed to calm down.

"Look Lavanya, I get that he loves her, but that is no way to treat your love!"

Anika sat beside him, grasping his shoulder. Just because Shivaay wore no masks didn't mean he had any less layers than Arnav.

"Sudha Aunty did. And then Khushi did too."

Anika raised an eyebrow and Shivaay shook his head. Relieved, she spoke. "Can I speak to my friend now?"

"Yeah, she was changing. We just got back. Here."

"So, that was the short version." Anika began. "Shoot at me Mrs Mathur."

"Bitch, you didn't even attend my wedding. Where's my gift?"

"I had my own engagement, thanks for asking. Where's my gift?"

"You got engaged?!"

"Thank you for congratulating me." Anika grinned.

"You sly woman. Why don't we know about this?"

"It was small ceremony."

Lavanya laughed. "Right. Shivaay Oberoi, heir apparent to Oberoi Pvt Ltd, had a small engagement ceremony?"

"I wish." Anika complained. "It was sudden, because my extended family found out that we lived together throughout university."

"You could've called."

"Oh, and Lavanya Kashyap would have delayed her wedding for me, is that it?"

"No, I would have delayed your engagement."

Anika laughed out loud. Lavanya was on the same madness scale as her. The same crazy nature, the same vibe. "We got sidetracked. Before I tell you much of what happened today, which wasn't much, just regular old shock therapy, will you tell me ASR and Khushi's story?"

"ASR and Khushi don't have a story." Anika was disappointed. She had honestly caught a feeling in the air today. Was her radar on a hike? "Arnav and Khushi, however..."

"Now we're talking."

*************************************

#AN: Is all this too fast, too slow?

Explanation of the situation will be up in the next chapter, but feel free to guess!

Until next time, much love! 🧡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244K 8.8K 34
This story is the top appericiated work of mine on India Forums. 16 September 2019 ***Highest Rankings*** #1 ArHi #5 ArShi Thank you so much guys.
51.7K 2K 9
WON THE 2ND POSITION IN CRITICS CHOICE AWARDS 2021 ... CATEGORY : FANFICTION (HINDI/HINGLISH ONLY) Standalone,highest rank: #4 in acceptance , #23 i...
78.6K 2.5K 12
#1 in Short-story "Arnav, I love you so much... Please never Break my heart... Or else I won't be able to heal it again... I just can't even think...
367K 15.3K 45
Ranked 3 on #isspyaarkokyanaamdoon and 18 on #arshi -11th November 2021......... Destiny played a nasty game with the malik siblings, getting abandon...