Chapter 13

(Dinner Date)

Lavanya Mathur had mulled over the calls she had been on since morning. Only one thought presented itself when she saw Aman back home after his college was over, they needed to know.

So, she sat him down that evening and gave him a detailed description of her talk with Akash and Anika. By the end of it, he wanted to call Arnav, but she made him swear on her that he wouldn't. Explosive Arnav, aka ASR, was a lion's den. She didn't want her husband bitten off. The other thing he said, Lavanya had pondered too. "Whatever it is, Payal should know."

And so, she called Payal. The first time Mrs Gupta picked up. Lavanya hurriedly hung up with a promise to call back. Mrs Gupta had a knack of catching her pretenses.

The second time, Mr Gupta picked up. Lavanya asked him if Payal was home. She was not. There was an extra class today for Bal Bharati's cultural team selection.

The third time, Payal was found, and immediately invited for dinner. Then, Lavanya went out for a while and came back with a small packet within half an hour. She saw Aman eye the box.

"Who's that for?"

"Payal. She needs it."

"She's not going to accept it."

"Watch me and learn a few things, Mathur."

An hour later, sharp at 7:30pm the doorbell rung. Lavanya had come up with 'date night' concept for her in-laws, sending them out for dinner. Hence, Aman and her had the house to themselves when Payal arrived.

"You're on thin ice!" She warned her best friend.

"What did I do?"

"Why don't you have a phone?"

"I'm poor, my lady. Please allow my tired butt inside your mansion." Payal teased.

"Wait, do you want to stay my friend?"

"Stop with the dramatics, Lavanya." Payal pushed her aside.

"Hey, I didn't invite you in yet."

"You invited me to dinner."

"So, we could be going out!"

"With Aman cooking?" Payal pointed to the kitchen. "What excuse did you give your in-laws this time?"

"Dinner date." Lavanya grinned.

Payal shook her head, taking a seat in the living room. "Aman, my condolences."

"Thank you!"

"I hate you guys. Also, do you want to be my friend?"

"Yes, Lavanya." Payal indulged.

Lavanya picked up the box she had bought and threw it at her.

Payal caught it in reflex. "What's this, a mobile phone?"

"Wow, you can read."

"Don't you already have one?" Payal knew how expensive these could be.

"It's for you, dumbo."

"Sure." Payal laughed, keeping it aside.

"I'm serious. This is my serious face."

Payal glanced at her. "What's up Lavanya?"

"You accept the gift, I tell you."

"Aman, do I want to know this?"

"Hey, who's your friend, me or him?"

"I haven't accepted the gift yet."

"Shrewd." Lavanya nodded.

"Yes, Payal. You want to know this."