The Crystal Trials

By kc_author

Salvare University looms above its city as a sanctuary for those gifted with magic. The University is renowne... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9 Taury
10 Nik
11
12
13 Dath
14 Taury
15 Nik
16
17
18 Taury
19 Nik
20 Taury
21 Nik
22 Dath
23 Nik
24
25
26
27
28 Taury
29 Nik
30 Dath
32 Faolan
33 Nik
34
35
36 Dath
37 Nik
38 Taury
39 Nik
40 Faolan
41 Dath
42 Nik
43 Faolan
44 Nik
45 Faolan
46 Nik
47
48 Taury
49 Alden
50 Nik
51
52
53
54 Dath
55 Taury
56 Nik
57
58
59 Dath
60 Faolan
61 Nik
62
63 Callion
64 To Be Continued

31 Taury

1.1K 51 31
By kc_author

I watched my finger run through Zither's red and black waves. I had decided to primarily leave it down except for the front strands which I pulled tight against her head and tied them at the base of her neck, under the hair. I felt that the look complemented her long sleeve skintight dress and harsh makeup. When I finished her look, I handed her the velvet mask that coupled her dress. The king has sent a mask with each dress. Whoever his stylist was, they knew exactly what they were doing.

I didn't have to do Lilta's hair, as she enjoyed doing her own. She took it upon herself to help Nik and I get all the girls looking perfect for the night's Winter Masque. As Zither walked over to help Rayze into her billowing sage chiffon dress, Emyr sat in the seat in front of me. She chatted away about wondering if Syphor would be able to dance with her or if there was a rule against teachers doing that. Though, he as only three years older than us, so I hoped they could get away with it. Her red silk dress was held up by barely-there straps and the front cut down between her breasts to just above her belly, leaving a scrap of fabric in the front and back. It was daring but elegant. I did her hair in a simple chignon strategically leaving out strands in the front.

Sera came over to watch over my shoulder, her demeanor more relaxed I had seen it all year. Over the full white lace body suit, she donned a floor length white wool trench coat. Instead of a color, like a man's suit, were silver and diamond feathers flaring out. She had added real ice to her which only added to her winter dominatrix look. I finished up with Emyr, just as Lilta finished up with Nik.

Lilta was the first of us to get ready. Her breasts were covered in scallops of satin emerald fabric. Her middle was bare, but her skirts were of the same cloth and the slit on the side of her ample thigh went up to her waist, leaving very little to the imagination. She had taken her usual braids out and had heated it into large soft curls that fell to her waist. She tapped her mask onto Nik head, indicating she was done, and tied it onto her face.

I hadn't been able to see Nik outfit yet, as I had been working on hair. She stood up and I gasped. Her choice of the gowns was clearly the pick of the ones sent. She glittered allover, clothed in the darkest of blue fabric that was covered in sequins. The middle of the dress, cut down to her belly button, leaving the inner sides of her breasts exposed. Though the top of the gown was secured by tight long sleeves, the waist down was a ballgown. But that wasn't what made me gasp. On her head, held by strands of hair, was a headband that secured silver and diamond wings behind her ears. She smiled at my gasp and giggled as she showed up the silver mask that would attract anyone wanting to dance with her.

She walked to me and spun us to look in her mirror together. I left my hair down, which I rarely did, and wore the diamond flower necklace Sera had found. Where Nik was dark, I was light. My own gown glittered from flicks of gold sewn into the fabric. My neckline crisscrossed over my breasts where gold and light pink flowers edged the ends. My long sleeves were as loose and flowing as the skirts. Nik waved the other girls over and we all crowded around the mirror together.

"Damn we're hot," Nik declared. "Wait, one more thing." She waved her hand and right in front of my eyes, she wove tiny vines of baby's breath into the hair on one side of my face. I laid my head back on her. The other girls twirling and posing, then we all laughed.

We made our way down the hall towards the staircase leading to the foyer. I stopped short, having forgot my mask. I shooed the other girls on. I snatched my mask off Nik's couch where I had left it and shut the door behind me. When I turned around, Garren was standing there in front of his door looking delicious in a pristine white suit and tie. I swallowed. We hadn't spoken since Sera's admittance to me. Had she told him she finally shared her secret? Did I care? I shook my head to clear it and walked on.

"Taury."

I didn't turn around. Too afraid of what and who stood behind me.

"Taury, can we talk?" I bared my teeth and spun around so fast my hair hit me in the face.

"You want to talk. Right now. What could you possibly have to say to me? You want to talk about you lying to me? You should have talked to me a long time ago. You're a fake, never being real with me. And you know what, Sera has bigger balls than you do. At least she tells the godsdammed truth!"

I stormed off before tears could fall and ruin my makeup I painstakingly applied. He followed behind me, slower, but did not try to pursue any further. Good. I was going to have a good time at the ball, and I didn't need him fecking it up. Down in the foyer I found Sera, who questioned me with her eyes. Before I could answer, Garren walked down the stairs. She glared at him for me. He threw his hands up at a loss. He could suffer all night and I hoped a hag asked to dance with him.

Nik was gushing over Faolan's white tux. Ameer wore white. So did Alden. Wait. I turned to Dath. More white. Erix appeared at his usual spot on the balustrade above, looking strange after only ever seeing him in black.

"Before we head to the castle, I wanted to let you know that the curfew for today has been increased to accommodate extra festivities. As many of you are not from this city, you will sometimes miss the traditions we hold on to. The winter ball is always accompanied by the men wearing all white to honor the god, Faolin, the white wolf of the Derde River. He was notorious for blending into the snows and birch trees during battles. Enjoy tonight with your new family, because the people around you will likely be with you the rest of your lives."

After his speech, Erix vanished into the hallway behind him as he began the long walk to the castle. The students at the university climbed the stairs and followed him. Jakota wasn't at his post by the castle walkway. Instead, an older gentleman stood guard. The mass of students' heals and finery click against the stone walkway to the castle. Gowns of every shade of color made the girls look like gemstones next to the men in their white finery. Some couples walked hand in hand, others chatted with their friends.

As we made our way down the staircase to the castle's foyer, I spotted Eliza in a beautiful rose dress and waved. She smiled at me and returned the gesture before averting her attention the cute boy next to her. The student not on our team gasped and clapped at the sight of our work to the ball room. Some nobles and allies were already inside dancing with the ice sculptures and others were sitting in some of the alcoves we had created. I had finally spotted Jakota standing guard by the thrones, his black hair a handsome contrast to his white suit. A few members of our team waved, and he bowed back politely.

We all found a table near the front and sat. Faolan complained of hunger, which surprised no one. Nik fidgeted with her sleeves next to me, a nervous habit she had done since we were kids. Garren leaned against an ice pillar nearby, a drink of some kind in his hand. He looked down and swirled the contents with a shake of his hand. Before he could look back up, I continued watching the crowd. Sera and Zither made their way to the food table at the back, both ladies looking divine. Rayze was already walking around the room searching out the guest the way a wolf would hunt for its prey. I watched her eyes land on a ruggedly handsome man from the green team.

Trumpets sounded at the dais and the king walked through the dark blue curtains behind the thrones. I itched at my mask, already fed up with it. The crowd bowed and the king gave a short bob of his head in return. With a raised glove he silenced the room.

"Good evening and welcome to the annual Winter Masque. Tonight, we honor the god Faolin and his victory over the demons many years ago. Though his efforts were found futile in the end, they lived on as a legend. We should always remember that hiding in plain sight can be the best weapon you have. Deceit is the trickiest to spot when you begin to believe what you see."

The king stepped forward dramatically, his back straight. He scanned the room, pausing for effect. His words ringing in my ears.

"Tonight, I want to honor a particularly gifted group of students from the university. Everything you see here tonight. Team Cobalt has accomplished in a single day. I promised them that my allies may very well get jealous and steal them away."

There were chuckles from the visiting ambassadors and nobles at that.

"Would those responsible for the magnificent transformations please stand so we may honor you and your gifts."

We stood, and the king clapped high above his head. He nodded considerably to encourage the people to join in. Rion and Sharin soaked in the attention, while others smiled politely, not liking the attention. Then, without any further pomp and circumstance, he cued the music from the orchestra in the corner.

Dath was suddenly at my side with his hand out asking for a dance. I rolled my eyes at the dumb bear and grabbed his hand with a smirk. He looked sharp in all white and his square jaw had a thinly trimmed beard. We danced together and he even spun me around one too many times teasing the formal act. I had agreed and dipped him like a woman. Sweat touched my brow but cooled from the chilly air the ice provided.

Nik was by the food fighting Ameer for macaroons. I shook my head in amusement as I went to grab my own. The level at which my cousin was oblivious astounded me. Alden sulked near a seating alcove, staring blatantly at their banter. I groaned looking at the spread before me. So much chocolate. Gross. Didn't they have anything with more substance? I snatched a glass of golden liquid instead. Already done before the night even started, I went to an empty seating area and fumed. Stomach complaining.

I watched the bubbles in my drink rise to the surface and zoned out at the visual texture. I was bored and angry. I took a sip and shuttered at the burn from the alcohol. Then, I smelled something divine. I snapped my head up at the aroma of cooked meat. I scowled. Garren stood there with two plates of food. I followed every step he took to come sit by me. He placed the food in front of me and my traitorous body let him know just how hungry I was. But I refused to accept the bribe.

"Why are you here?" I spit at him as he bravely sat very close to me.

"I saw that you had went to the desert table and realized you hadn't seen the table with real food. And you hate chocolate. So, I knew you'd be hungry."

I blinked in shock. Only Nik knew I hated chocolate., or so I thought. I couldn't figure him out. He acted one way and then he would flip and act as if he didn't care. There wasn't a serious bone in his body.

"I'm not playing this game with you Garren. Thank you for the food, but you can go. There are plenty of other girls here."

I grabbed a morsel and took a bite, no longer able to resist, my lynx completely taking over for a second. I purred at the taste and my canines elongated. Garren said nothing. He grabbed his own and put it in his mouth. Slowly. His blue eyes met mine as he licked his lips. Then his fingers one by one. Games. Always with the games. I groaned and leaned back fully into the cushions and closed my eyes. I felt Garren lay back next to me, but I ignored him, wishing he would go away.

"Taury. Look at me."

My anger rose, but I indulged him by opening one. He was propped up on his arm looking down at me with big kitten eyes. Fecking games. I opened my eyes all the way. Pleased, he smirked at his small victory.

"I don't want any of the other girls."

I laughed out loud, holding my belly from the sudden pain. He looked more pissed than I had ever seen him. And I didn't care.

"Seriously?" I croaked, "you want ever girl that ever looks at you. You would flirt with and bang every girl in Uppergrades. That's not me Garren. I'm one and done."

"No, I didn't." He looked down as he played with a fly away thread in the cushion he sat on. I kept glaring at him. I wasn't about to let up and keep lying to me. "I haven't been with anyone Tor."

My eyes went wide in disbelief. But he didn't smile his usual teasing smile. He didn't tease or fight back. Shit. He was serious. I waited for him to continue.

"You were right. I'm a fake. A liar."

When he looked at me again, tears filled his eyes. My heart stuttered. I had done that to him.

"My dad can be as harsh as Sera's. She told me she told you, her truth. But I haven't told you mine. My dad was using me like a bull. Trying to sell me off to the highest bidder. Every girl I've kissed, was a lie. I've never slept with any one before. I refused to give my father what he wanted. He wants an heir to the lordship. But like Sera's dad, not just any heir, a full-blooded Fae."

He swallowed and wiped at his eyes, unashamed at the emotion he showed. I sat up a little.

"I don't care about any of that, but Sera and I had become fast friends and once she told me she preferred girls, we came up with a plan. Of course, that was before we knew she would have magic. The plan was to lie. She would become a loving wife, and I a loving husband. We would marry and afterwards, just to spite our fathers, we wouldn't have children. In secret, I would have a lover, and she would have hers. And especially for her, she would be able to be with a woman, her father none the wiser."

Garren leaned forward on his arm and took a deep breath. "I didn't know Tor. You and I had been the closest of friends for so long, I didn't want you to ever feel pressured, just because I was some pompous ass's son." He stopped paying with the godsdammed thread. "I didn't know."

"Didn't know what?" I asked, my anger simmered, but still apparent.

"I didn't know how you felt. Not until you screamed at me in the library the first time."

I gave him a confused look. "I screamed at you because you were pissing me off for forcing your help onto me like I was some weak little girl that couldn't do it herself. Feelings have nothing to do with that."

Garren's teasing grin was back. My temper flared, coming back full force again. I sat up. If he wanted to play games, I was done. He spoke absolute nonsense. I had been mad about him being with Sera because I had lost a friend not for any other reason. Suddenly, he grabbed my shoulders and laid me back down on the cushions. I was going to murder the feral animal. After I removed his canines. In his sleep. I raise my hand to slap him as he placed a knee between my legs, and he was on fours atop me. He caught my hand as I took a swing. I hissed. The ass growled with a grin. I took another swing with my other hand, this time shifting my fingers into claws. When he caught that one too, he grabbed both of my wrists in on of his large ones and pulled them above his head. He held me there then looked at his other palm and said, "This is my favorite scar you know that?" It was the scar where he had cut himself in the library.

"You are sick you know that. Absolutely vile."

He leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Tell me how you really feel."

"Like I want to light you on fire."

He moved to my other ear, and I shivered from his breath.

"Is that all?"

"And drown you."

He placed his face in front of my own. His eyes were so close I could see the stipes of purple in them. "That sounds divine. Any thing else?" His nose touched mine.

I growled at his closeness. "I want to blind you with darkness."

"Done." He said on a whisper so quiet, that if he had been even another inch away, I wouldn't have heard.

He snapped his fingers and drenched us in blackness. The ball faded away leaving just the feeling his nose to mine and my wrists in his hands.

"Taury," Garren breathed, his body nearly laying on top of mine now. "You already set me fire. Every day I burn for you. I am already drowning with thoughts of you so filthy that I cannot make it a full day without returning to me rooms to take care of myself. And I have been blinded by you. You eclipse all else. I have been a fake and a liar my whole life. But I do not act with you. Does this feel real?"

He leaned forward and his lips brushed my neck. I sucked in a breath. He lay his body down on me more fully, his bulge hard against my leg. Gods what was happening? I felt his empty hand come to my face. His thumb rubbed over my bottom lip.

"Does this feel like a lie?"

I couldn't breathe.

"Tell me what you are feeling right now Tor. And if it anything less than what I have felt for you for years, I stop. I will walk away."

I was in one of the Hells. I was being tortured. I shook my head stupidly. He couldn't see.

He brought his forehead to mine and demanded, "Out loud."

"Yes," I whimpered.

He skimmed my top lip with his tongue. "Yes. What?"

"Yes, it feels like a lie."

He kissed the lip he was licking. Slow tortuous tiny kisses. Then in one motion, he released my wrists, dropped the darkness, and stood up. I stared at him, shook. My heart thrummed in my chest as he glared at me sinfully. When I went to sit up, he leaned back over me. His hands slammed down on either side of my head, faces close again.

"I want to you to feel what I have felt for the past nine years. The gut-wrenching pain of pining after the person you can't have. Then, when you can't bare it anymore, you will come to me. And I will happily show you exactly what it feels like to burn from the inside out."

Hestood up with the grace of a noble. And fecking winking at me as he strode off.I threw my head back and sucked down air trying to figure out what the Hellsjust happened. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8K 816 29
-------Takes place after EOS and ACOWAR------ Aelin still being tortured Maeve while Fenry's has had to watch a young queen's spirit breaking. What w...
3.1K 319 17
When thirty-year-old Zara stumbled upon a mysterious mirror hidden among her family's heirlooms, she never imagined that diving into it would transpo...
1M 92.5K 51
Claire understand that to defeat Kane, she must master her magic. That means journeying deep within the forest, all the way to Esterpine, to study wi...
1.5K 102 7
BOOK THREE to The Crystal Series. Nik and her friends find war on every front in their lives with the guidance or Atiweh and Tarrent. As the Valkyrie...