Shared Mercy Book 5 of the Gu...

By AuthorJMColes

#1 love power highest ranking. Alex and the dragon brothers have fought evil on multiple worlds. But some ev... More

Introduction
Prologue
Ch. 1.1 The Heat of the Battle
Ch. 1.2 Heroes Fall
Ch. 1.3 Coldness
Ch. 2.1 Vultures
Ch. 2.2 Why Alex Needs A Guard
Ch. 2.3 Just Get Over It
Ch. 3.1 Insanity
Ch. 3.1 Enter Drake
Ch. 3.2 Choosing
Ch. 3.3 Parties and Challenges
Ch. 4.2 No Longer Hatchlings
Ch. 4.3 Harem Challenge
Ch. 5.1 Pool Party!!
Ch. 5.2 Death Match
Ch. 5.3 Horrible, Complicated Mess
Ch. 6.1 Being Fun and Free
Ch. 6.2 The Drake Incident
Ch. 6.3 I Could Use A Little Indifference
CH. 7.1 Old Friends
CH. 7.2 Theoretical vs. Practical
CH. 7.3 Proposals
CH 8.1 Breaking Down the Brothel
CH 8.2 What Brains?
CH 8.3 Eggs Not Babies!
CH 9.1 A Clutch From One So Young
CH 9.2 Slumber Party
CH 9.3 Draconic Mona Lisa
Ch. 10.1 Reunions Happy and Not So Much
Ch. 10.2 What's Worse?
Ch 10.3 What Gives Alex Insomnia
CH. 11.1- Doing What Needs To Be Done
CH. 11.2 Forgiving Enough
CH. 11.3 Call Me Baca
Ch. 12.1 Macho Moron
Ch. 12.2 Old Girlfriends
CH. 12.3 Helping Drake
CH. 13.1 Run, Just Run
Ch. 13.2 Saving Drake
Ch. 13.3 Indifference, Real or Fake
CH. 14.1 A Present!
CH 14.2 New Beginnings
CH 14.2 Stealing Family
CH. 15.2 Baca's Name
CH. 15.3 We Speak Nicely...
CH. 16.1 Red Eyes
CH 16.2 Roaches and Other Monsters
CH 16.3 No Betraying Alex...Ever
CH. 17.1 Keeping a Guardian Busy
CH. 17.2 Welcome to a Lesson in Empathy
Ch. 17.3 Sex, Love, and Affection
CH 18.1 Death of a Lavender Bush
CH 18.2 Dr. Pushy Dragon
CH 18.3 Pool Party!
CH 19.2 Dance Party!!
CH. 19.3 Saving Drake...Again
CH 20.1 Life Is Not Fair
CH. 20.2 To Remember Or Not
Chapter 20.3 Crazy or Not
CH. 21.2 Showdown with Flint
CH. 21.3 The Battle
CH 22 The End

CH. 21.1 Prayer Vigil

36 12 10
By AuthorJMColes

Cale returned later, his boots thudding in the dirt, alerting his brothers. The camp sounds were all still there, the crackle of the fire, the wind in the trees. The birds were silent, but that was normal for sunset. The sounds of the night were only starting to be heard, but that was expected.

Alex had her head in Rile's lap and he stroked her hair while she dozed. Gabe, true to his word, was sharpening his sword. Drake was drinking and staring off in space.

"What's the plan?" Rile asked, rousing Alex.

"A prayer vigil tonight."

Alex sat up, rolled her head back, looked at the sky, and groaned. "Sleep deprivation is among the worst tortures I can think of and you want to try it? I think you are The Adversary, Cale."

Cale chuckled. "You may sleep, as may Rile. I'm enlisting the help of Kohe and his acolytes. We're singing hymns and praying through the night watches."

Alex sagged against Rile. "Oh, well, if I get to sleep, that's okay."

"I want to take part," Drake said.

"What do you know of singing hymns?" Gabe asked, his grip on his sword changing to a fighting one.

"Or praying?" Rile sneered.

Alex elbowed him so sharply that he oof'd. "Y'all are mean," she said. "Drake did his best to pray during my short circuit."

"That's probably what called The Adversary," Gabe said. He ducked and narrowly missed the blast Alex hurled at him.

"Do I have to call you out?" She stood, rotated her head, rolled her shoulders, and shook out her hands.

"Part of me wants to say to not do this, but part of me is intensely curious." Drake lifted one eye-ridge and grinned.

"No part of you was asked," Alex said. "This isn't your burden, it's mine. Gabe, my powers and staff against your skills and staff?" Alex bounced lightly on the balls of her feet. "Until one of us can't stand?"

Gabe stood, looked her up and down, and then picked up his staff. "I win and Drake leaves. Permanently."

Alex shook her head. "You win and he won't come around y'all but I'm still training him. He's still my friend and I still believe he can become a Guardian. You'll only have forced me to be alone with him."

Rile jumped to his feet. "I object. Let's do this Cale's way. If Drake wants to sing and pray with Kohe and his acolytes, so be it. I'm sleeping with Alex, so I'm the winner here."

"Absolutely," Drake said in a flat voice.

"Drake, come with me," Cale said. "I'll introduce you to Kohe. Grab that wineskin, please."

**

"Who is bringing us wine?" Kohe extended his hands. "Blessings upon you."

"If you're blessing me, then you don't know who I am." Drake crammed his hands into his pockets and ducked his head.

Kohe smiled his gentle, understanding smile. "Quite the contrary. I was being polite in asking. Please come inside and make yourself comfortable, Drake."

Kohe pushed the best cushion toward Drake, who side-stepped it and sat upon another. Kohe looked at Cale in question but he shrugged. Drake unslung the wineskin and offered it to the priest. He took it, poured three mugs, and distributed them.

"Why are you here, my son?" Kohe asked as he handed Drake a mug.

"I want to take part in the prayer vigil for Alex tonight. I don't know any hymns and Gabe is of the opinion that my prayer for Alex called The Adversary."

"That sounds like the eldest son of Gideon. What did you pray?"

"That while the Creator of All had no reason to listen to me, Alex was His Guardian and would He please help her."

Kohe rubbed his muzzle. "Not exactly calling The Adversary." He slapped his knees. "Now, as to not knowing any hymns, I think you know more than you think. Listen to this one." Kohe sang in a deep bass, and after a stanza, Cale joined in. Both grinned at the expression of shock on Drake's face.

"But...but...that's a dirty drinking song."

They finished and Kohe said, "The melody is because it's mid-range, easy to sing and easy to remember. How else could we get our flock to sing? Now listen to this one."

Kohe launched into another song and Cale sang along easily. Kohe and Cale's faces glowed with the pleasure of singing and the light of the fire. When they started to repeat the verse, Cale motioned for Drake to join. His light tenor was hesitant at first, but he gained confidence with repetition.

"Are all hymns dirty drinking songs?" Drake asked after the third hymn.

"No, but I wanted you to learn at least three easy ones for tonight. Are you ready for a fourth?"

"For Alex? As many as necessary."

"She does gain her supporters." The campfire danced in Kohe's eyes as he winked at him.

"Unfortunately, more detractors," Drake said.

"The price of being a Guardian," Kohe said. "Alex has her heart set on training you to become one. But is that what you want? The Guardians are the most noble of beings but becoming a Guardian is a difficult path to follow. You must face many hardships and battles, physical and otherwise. Becoming a Guardian is more than just training. It's a way of life. It's the realization of your soul's purpose. As a priest, I am skilled at keeping confidences. You may tell me the truth."

Drake locked his gaze on Kohe and his claws dug into the mug. "It's my heart's desire as well. I have given up my old way of life and am ready for a new way."

"Very well. For the vigil tonight, we've divided the night into traditional watches. Which watch do you want?"

"All of them."

"I commend your enthusiasm, but Cale said that you were attacked as well. A wise Guardian knows when to rest and trust his teammates. He, Gabe, and I will be trading off. I suggest you take watch with either myself or Cale."

"You and Cale, then."

"A wise choice. I have first watch and Cale second. I'll fetch us dinner, then we'll proceed to the vigil together."

Drake looked at Cale, who nodded.

"Thank you, priest," Drake said.

"I have matters to discuss with Cale. I'll leave you to make yourself comfortable."

Kohe insisted that Drake walk next to him when they walked to the Guardian's tent for the vigil. Gabe kept his expression carefully blank, as did Rile, but Alex jumped up and ran to him.

"How are you feeling?" she hugged him

"Better. I had dinner with the priest Kohe. You?"

"I'm ready for bed, but I wanted to make sure you were coming. Rile says we're sleeping outside we can listen to the prayers and hymns."

"Did you know that several hymns are set to the tunes of dirty drinking songs?

Alex raised her eyebrows. "I didn't know that." She grinned and punched him on the shoulder. "See? You did know some hymns. Sing them first before I fall asleep."

"I'll ask Priest Kohe if we can sing them first."

Alex returned to Rile, who had dragged out the largest cushions from their tent and arranged them by the campfire. He sat with his back against one and patted his thigh. Alex sat next to him and laid her head on his shoulder. Kohe raised his hands and Drake, Cale, Gabe and the acolytes formed a semi-circle around him. The firelight danced over their faces, casting shadows on their features and reflecting in their eyes.

"Creator of All, we give you thanks for your many blessings of food, shelter, friends and family this day. We ask for your protection through the night. This is truth." He lowered his hands.

Gabe and Cale disappeared into the tent. Two thirds of the acolytes made themselves comfortable on the cushions and closed their eyes. Kohe started singing and Drake and the remaining acolytes joined in. Silky strands of song, burning in the heart and soul, the timbre of voices, low and high, mingled with the hiss and crackle of the fire snapping, popping, roaring to devour the logs.

By the third hymn, Alex had slid down to Rile's lap and was asleep.

**

As the sun's light rays crept over the horizon, the pale glow of dawn filled the sky. Kohe tapped Drake's shoulder, who shook the sleep from his head.

"Time to rise, my son," he said.

The acolytes stood and stretched their legs and arms. Cale opened his eyes and stepped out of the tent with Gabe.

Rile stroked Alex's hair with gentle fingertip, then he kissed her on the cheek to wake her up. "It's the sunrise, Alex," he said.

"Ugh."

"See the sunrise, it's lovely."

"Fire truck the sunrise," she said, eyes still close. "Let me sleep."

"Alex, Kohe, Cale, and Drake are holding their prayer vigil for you."

Alex opened her eyes and, in the grey light of dawn, saw everyone. She shot to her feet and looked around wildly. Kohe raised his hands.

"Creator of all, thank You for your protections through the night. We humbly ask for your blessing this day that we may serve You."

Alex blew out a breath and ran a hand through her hair. She leaned close to Rile and whispered, "Did I just say 'fire truck' in front of the priest?"

Rile stifled a grin. Alex whimpered and he put his arm around her. Kohe motioned and his choir sang. Cale winked at her, Rile sang and patted her back, Gabe sang a bass harmony line with a stern look on his face, and Drake sang, expression unreadable. At the end of the hymn, Kohe clapped his hands.

"Let us leave the Guardians to break bread together. Please, everyone return to your families." He placed his hand on Drake's arm. "Would you breakfast with me?"

Drake startled but nodded and allowed the priest to lead him away.

"I'm trapped in here by my own thoughts," Alex said. "If I can't sleep, eating for comfort sounds like a good option."

"I'll collect the sausage rolls from the Mercy Tent," Cale said. "They're worried about you and I can reassure them at the same time.

"Sweet rolls and I'm coming with you," Alex said.

"We're having sausage rolls. Your body will thank me."

Alex stuck her tongue out at him and dashed toward the Mercy Tent. Cale waited a few seconds than started after her.

When Alex and Cale were within sight of the Mercy Tent, the girls squealed and ran to Alex. She ran toward them and halfway there, she knelt. Arms wide, she rocked back slightly from the impact of their hugs. They chattered their fears so she stroked their backs and made soothing noises. They were still too thin, but they were clean and dressed in plain but clean and whole robes. They also had a scrubbed clean smell, either lavender or lemon.

"We were praying for you, Guardian."

"What can we do to help you?"

"I'm kinda hungry. My whole team is," Alex said.

"We made bread."

"And sausage rolls."

"And sweet rolls. We know you love those best."

Alex laughed, partly to cheer them up, and partly because everyone seemed to know about her sweet tooth. "How well you know me."

They really don't, but I still have so much to learn from these resilient little girls.

***

A/N

Dedicated to faithful readers

IanReeve216

Angel_Eyes1514

Jessica2985

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 2.2K 40
#1 paranormal fantasy #1dragonlove #55 paranormal romance Alex and the dragon brothers Gabe, Cale, and Rile survived New Orleans, but can they survi...
1K 178 33
Alex has been accepted as a Guardian and is on her first mission with her new Guardian team. They are three draconic humanoids from another planet: G...
1K 31 1
A threat that turned into a fight. A fight that turned into a battle. A battle that turned into a war. It's the year 2172. Humans and Monsters in...
3.6M 68.3K 23
There was a time when the king of the human world raged war between humans and dragonkind, forcing their rulers to seal the portal between both world...