Manon's Ascension

By Talia_Rhea

Paladins Series Finale: In the great kingdom of Gascony, in the cliffside city of Ambraude, there is a queen... More

Awkward Beginnings
Divine Corruption
The Humble and Honorable
Building Bonds
Experience Interrupted
Queen of Mercy
Anywhere, Anytime
Breaking From Within
Lingering Feelings
Old Allies
Within the Palace
Where It All Began
Love and Obsession
Peace at Last
Epilogue

Fire and Blame

171 17 10
By Talia_Rhea

Fire and Blame

The opening of the new school for girls in the middle tier was scheduled the day before the arrival of Queen Eleonore from Lloegyr and the day after the groundbreaking for the new hospital wing also being placed in the middle tier. Cy and Felicie had made so many friends by that point that there was going to be a wonderfully busy and excited welcoming party for the foreign queen majesty. And while she was here, she would be treated to a good time in the city around the work the three of them had to do. Which, all told, wasn't that much. Mostly, this meeting was just to build their relationship.

In other words, good things were happening.

Manon finished her training with Amorette that morning feeling optimistic. Not just because she was finally able to use her powers without needing to be physically squished or harmed, but because she had real hope for the first time in a long time.

The protests were getting smaller by the day. Because Manon was snarky and Jacques was petty, they had set up a booth outside the castle walls that offered fresh water and bread to those that were showing up to yell at them for being evil and for tearing the country apart. No charge, no poison. Just water and bread and soldiers manning it specifically instructed to be polite.

Righteous anger and fury were a high cost, energetically, and they met it with calm patience and a kind hand holding out free food. No one could resist free food.

Within a few days of the change, the crowds began to grow. Not from protesters, but from people just showing up for free water and bread. They were given the offerings the same as the protesters and their genuine gratitude and relief at having food began to counter the protesters anger. She even had reports of the two sides yelling at each other before the protesters stormed off.

They were mad and expecting anger and punishment and instead got charity and understanding. And they absolutely hated it.

Their dissatisfaction was worth the cost of the simple bread.

The economy was also improving. All the men returned from the war front were back to work and industry was up, infrastructure was improving, and morale was high, even despite the people that thought Manon was pure evil.

Manon was actually excited to show Queen Eleonore her city. She couldn't stop smiling as she was dressed after her training session. First, of course, was the opening of the new school. Manon couldn't miss that as it was her personal project. Jacques was coming with her as well, as a show of support of both her and women's schooling.

He had confessed to her that, like the female guard she had opened, he was afraid that no one was going to sign up. However, unlike the guard, there were plenty of young women that wanted to continue their education after primary school who didn't get the chance. Manon hadn't really expected much, if any, interest in the guard positions this early. However, she wasn't at all disappointed by the dozens of applications she got for her school.

The building was an old one. Bought and refurbished from what had once been a museum. The museum itself had outgrown the space, built a new building in the upper tier, and sold this one off to a family that nearly went into debt because they lost all three of their sons during the war. The mother and her two surviving daughters were honored to sell it to Manon in turn.

It only took a few weeks from there to get everything ready and today, finally, she was going to be there for the opening of the doors. There were no classes this morning. They were just giving the girls a chance to look around and get comfortable.

However, there would be classes this afternoon. Manon wasn't staying for those, but she planned on being there right up until the first lesson began.

Freshly dressed and excited for the day, she met with Jacques in the hall right off of the private palace docks. He was talking to Arnaud, finishing up some last minute tasks and instructions for the queen's arrival tomorrow. However, when he saw her, he immediately dropped the conversation and offered her his hand.

"Ah, my darling," he greeted warmly in that open, honest way of his that she had learned was as genuine as it was performative. "Stunning. You are absolutely stunning."

"You are going to run out of compliments to give me one of these days."

"I can't imagine I will, since you always manage to impress me with your beauty." He brought her hand up and kissed it reverently. "Though, I am willing to subject myself to the sight of you, every single day, to prove myself wrong."

She chuckled, shaking her head at him. She knew that he meant every word he said now, and that knowledge often stole her breath whenever he talked to her like this. It was just so different knowing that he was being honest.

A few days ago, she had woke with the sad proof of her lack of conception staining the sheets beneath them. She hadn't been inconsolable, but she was definitely disappointed and the feeling had stayed with her through the day. Not helped by the fact that she was hurting through most of it and all the relaxing teas in the kingdom weren't helping.

Jacques had pulled her miserable self into his arms as they laid in bed, as he always did, and kissed her like it might be their last chance and he wanted to savor every second.

"There's no need for disappointment, my dear," he had said, one hand massaging her aching lower back as the other pet her hair. "All that this means is that we get to try again."

He was good to her. So good, it seemed unreal. She wanted, again, to accuse him of exaggeration, but she could only hold her tongue. Even thinking of it reminded her of the dark challenge in his gaze when she said it before.

Jacques genuinely meant every word he uttered, and woe be to the fool, including her, that dared to doubt his sincerity.

"Come. Let's go open your academy," he said, tucking her hand into his arm before leading her to their aircab.

He didn't sit across from her this time, though. Instead, he sat right beside her, their fingers laced together, as he pulled her in close so she could rest her head on his chest.

"Feeling any better today?" He asked, his tone softer now that they were alone, but his warmth and affection still just as powerful.

"I do," she nodded, relaxing into his half embrace. "All the pain is gone."

"Thank the good Lord," he sighed, relieved. "I don't remember your monthlies ever being this painful before."

Manon chuckled, still a bit shy discussing such a topic, even with her husband. "They usually aren't, but they also are rarely the same exact thing twice. And the most random things and events can affect them. Who even knows why they were so demanding this month."

He shook his head. "I shall never understand the female body."

"Oh, I don't know about that," she purred, running her fingers down his chest. "You seem to do all right by my judgment."

He gave her a heated look. "Careful, wife. I haven't touched you in days and I find my control in that regard wearing quite thin."

"Did you not hear me?" She smirked. "I said, I was feeling better. The pain isn't the only thing that's gone."

"Really?" He turned towards her, interested as the ship was flying out of the docks. "Do you think we have time before we get to the academy?"

"We most certainly do not," she laughed, smacking his shoulder. "And don't you even consider it. I'm not going out to meet all those ladies with my hair and dress askew because you couldn't wait for a few hours."

He groaned, burying his head down into her cleavage. He rested his face right between her breasts, nuzzling between them like they were soft pillows there for his comfort.

"Hours? Isn't it bad enough you've made me wait days already?"

"Jacques, my darling, I have bad news. I think you might be a sexual deviant."

"Oh, most definitely," he assured her, rolling her nipple between his fingers through her dress, making her whimper with need. "My appetites do seem to be quite high. But in that case, my dear queen and wife, I do believe you are just as deviant as me."

Manon didn't reply, because she had no reply. He wasn't wrong and he wasn't the only one that had been suffering the long days spent without their love making.

When she considered she'd gone her entire life without it before, it was almost funny how much she craved it now. Like a starving man seeing a feast laid out before his eyes that he could only look at but not touch. Jacques was right there and he still held her every night and she felt the proof of his desire always either pressing into her back, her belly, or her thigh. But when she offered to ease his suffering, he refused stating that he wasn't going to selfishly take what she couldn't have.

So, they suffered together.

And now that their suffering was at its end, they had to spend the day around young women interested in furthering their education and pretending like they both didn't want him to drag her back to the aircab, have the soldiers guard the windows again, and slake their lusts. Just a little. Quick and fast and at least enough to satisfy them until tonight.

But there was no way they could get away with it without everyone knowing exactly what they were doing and Manon was already having issues being accused of being an evil seductress and that was only when people knew she was sleeping with her husband. The last thing they needed was to see it happening in public and confirm their deviancy.

No matter how excited she got at the thought of being caught.

Lord above, she was a deviant, and she didn't even care. She was only eager for more of Jacques' touch as she grabbed his face and tilted it from her breasts so she could kiss him eagerly. He pushed her back into the seat, crawling between her legs, almost shoving her down flat. She grabbed onto him just as eagerly, their tongues battling in a fight neither of them would lose.

The flight over the city was woefully short, but their guards were perfectly trained.

Manon was so focused on Jacques, she didn't even realized that they had landed, but when she checked the window after he had pulled away, she once again saw the back of one of their guards blocking the sight of them from anyone beyond.

"We need to learn to draw those curtains," he said, chuckling as he dragged his thumb over her kiss plumped lips. "Get that look off your face, Manon, or everyone who sees you is going to know what we were doing in here."

She bit his thumb making him hiss. He gave her a look that made need clench between her thighs, promising retribution for the attack.

She looked forward to it.

For the moment, however, they had to go be good, responsible rulers. They sat up and he helped adjust her dress and hair that, despite her intentions, had still managed to become mussed thanks to his eager hands and heavy body pressing so wonderfully against her. There was nothing she could do about the flush in her cheeks or the bruising of her lips.

If anyone noticed, however, they said nothing.

The two of them stepped out of the aircab and out onto the docks. People were already cheering for them, the path to the academy having been cleared and guarded for their short walk. It would be kept that way until they were gone.

In the walk over, Manon's heated desire cooled and, by the time they were climbing the steps to the front of the building, she was focused back on her task.

It was one she was eager to finish.

Every girl that had applied to her academy had been accepted. There were about three dozen from all over the city and surrounding areas, but, comparatively, that wasn't very many. Especially considering how many the school could potentially hold However, she knew from the opening of similar schools in Vasconia that a small class was normal in the beginning.

These girls were the bold, the brave. The ones who desperately wanted more education and had been frustrated when it was denied to them. These were the ones who studied in secret and expanded their knowledge without teachers or classrooms. To finally have a place where they could do it out in the open and with help was a relief to them.

In short, every lady Manon met that day was far smarter than herself, yet every single one of them deferred to her as their queen. Gratitude and devotion shined in their eyes as she walked the halls with them, taking the tour from the headmaster - an older man who had many years experience teaching and who had a granddaughter amongst those signed up for the first year. By giving them a palace to  learn and a formal degree that would mean something, she had changed their lives and earned their loyalty. None of them would dare call her an evil seductress.

Next, she was going to have to focus on making sure that these women, when they did graduate from the academy, could get jobs. Even if she had to hire them herself, she had to make sure that what she was doing wouldn't go to waste.

But that was a worry for another time.

Today was only about joy and enthusiasm for what tomorrow would bring.

Manon and the girls met the professors - all but one were males. Manon was sure that wouldn't last for much longer as at least three of the ladies she met among the students had an interest in becoming educators themselves. They toured the building together, admiring the new library, the study rooms, the classrooms, the central garden. They ate the midday meal together, served from the academy's cafeteria in their first meal that, she had no doubt, was much finer fare than what they would usually serve because of her and Jacques' presence.

It was a great time, full of hope and excitement. Then, immediately after the meal, the first classes began and Manon got to watch as the eager young ladies followed the professors into their new classrooms and a hush fell in the now empty halls.

"Are you pleased, my dear?" Jacques asked, looking at her face as she smiled at all the closed doors, just imagining what was going on behind them.

As a princess, her education had been thorough and much higher than the standard primary schooling offered to every citizen. However, just because she had been given the education didn't mean she actually wanted it. Appreciated it. Not like these ladies. To give them something they held in such value meant a great deal more than the education.

"I am very pleased," she said, finally tearing her eyes from the classrooms to smile back at him. "I'm glad for them."

"As am I. Come. Let's go home." He tugged gently on her arm, but let her walk slowly through the now emptied halls.

This was the first thing Manon had done as queen that was building towards a better future and had actually produced tangible results. Cleaning up after the war was important, changing laws for the sake of her children was important, opening the guard to women who might want to fight was important, but none of that had produced results like this.

This, these women here, she could see and experience. This was a good thing she had done and it had produced a single day of happiness untouched by anything else.

Jacques let her enjoy it as long as possible before taking her outside and returning to the docks where their aircab was already waiting for them. He helped her inside, took a seat beside her, and immediately pulled her right back against his chest.

"I'm glad it turned out well," he said, stroking her back.

"They'll be getting degrees and working and the classes will get bigger. Maybe it will stay an all-girls school, but did you know, most of them in Vasconia eventually expanded to allow boys in as well. As the girls became more confident and the need for a specific place just for them diminished, they could become regular schools."

"And that is what you want for your academy?"

"I probably won't see it in my lifetime," she admitted, smiling wistfully out the window as their aircab flew over the streets. "But eventually, yes. I think I do."

Jacques smiled, kissing the top of her head. "Until then, we can think about opening other academies in other big cities. Ambraude shouldn't be the only place that a girl can go to get higher education."

Manon beamed up at him. "Thank you, Jacques."

"Do not thank me for this thing." He leaned down and nuzzled their noses together. "It was a good idea and it's far past time that Gascony come into the modern era. I'm grateful that I have a queen like you to get this done."

"And I'm grateful I have a king like you who is so willing to support me."

"Forever, my darling. Forever."

He kissed her again, but unlike before, this one was slow and loving. An expression of their affection and not their sexual desire.

That lasted only until they got back to the palace. The moment they left the docks, he dragged her into a near sitting room, locked the door, and took her on the couch with a passion and ferocity that had her biting onto his shoulder to avoid screaming out her pleasure for the entire palace to hear. Which, she thought, might very well have been his intention.

~~~~~~

The difference between a vast, wealthy kingdom, untouched by war, and a recovering kingdom still suffering from the ravages of it was made abundantly clear when Queen Eleonore's fleet passed over the city.

The royal airship was escorted by three defensively focused warships that rotated at all times around the slightly smaller, but far more luxurious, cruiser as well as four smaller, speed ships there to both scout and act in emergency that had no defenses but did have an impressive arsenal.

The ships were of the finest quality, the escort ships had no scars from battle, all of their paint still fresh and shining. They were also decorated with long, colorful trains of fabric, tied on with elaborate ribbons at the railing, and colorful flags tied down from the mast that waved wildly in the wind.

Jacques and Manon waited inside the palace docks that had been cleared so her personal airship could fit within. Her escort ships would have to dock outside of the palace.

"Our fleet used to be so grand," Jacques said enviously, watching as the ship was directed inside by the dock crew waving colored flags towards the deck crew.

"It will be again," Manon promised, head held high. Repairing the fleet wasn't so important as everything else thus far. They weren't expecting an attack anytime soon and the cosmetic damage was costly and nonessential to repair.

But she recognized the undisguised longing for it in Jacques' eyes as he watched the Lloegyrian fleet, completely untouched by war, coming in to rest.

Nearby, Cy and Felicie were both dressed in their best and ready to impress. Eleonore was Cy's cousin and they were close. There was no doubt in Jacques' mind that the queen was here only because Cy had talked her into it.

Throughout the war, Eleonore hadn't visited either kingdom out of an abundance of caution. Jacques was grateful that she had agreed to come here at all, but it did hurt, in an odd way, seeing a taste of the wealth his kingdom could have had were it not for the war.

He had actually been worried about how the citizenry would react to the foreign queen. He already knew they would not appreciate King Erec or Queen Nina stepping foot onto Gasconite soil. However, it felt like it could have gone either way with Queen Eleonore.

But the reports from the city had all been good. The queen's arrival was being looked forward to as a good thing. A decent percentage of his population may not like Manon, but there were few, if any, that didn't like the peace she had brought. It was a distinction that made no sense to Jacques, but people were rarely fully sensible.

The engine of the royal airship began to wind down as the gangplank was lowered. Servants were the first to descend, all of them carrying the queen's luggage. Jacques and Manon ignored them as Arnaud, off to the side, directed them where to go.

Then, finally, the queen herself appeared at the top.

Queen Eleonore was old enough to be Manon's mother and had ruled Lloegyr alone since her husband had died of illness many years ago. They had one son together, but he was still young and hadn't come on this journey with her.

The queen herself was a tall, imposing, stoic figure. She had kept her kingdom stable and strong through her husband's death and the war of both neighboring kingdoms, all the while raising her son to be the king that would succeed her. She was an impressive woman and she carried herself with proud regality as she walked down from the deck of her ship.

In keeping with Gascony tradition, she had a coat hanging around her shoulders. Judging from how out of date the fashion was, it was actually one of her husband's brought out of storage. The coat thing wasn't tradition in Lloegyr, but she was still honoring it as a guest.

Jacques and Manon stepped forward at the same time as Cy and Felicie. Cy cleared his throat, standing between the two groups.

"Your majesty," he bowed to his queen first, smiling at her with genuine affection. "May I formally introduce King Jacques Urbain of Gascony. And you've already met Manon, though she is now Queen Manon Urbain. And may I introduce both of you to her majesty, Queen Eleonore Clotilde-Ithai of Lloegyr."

"Manon," Eleonore inclined her head at her. "It is good to see you again. It is satisfying to see how well you've done for yourself."

"It's good to see you again as well," Manon agreed, hesitating only a moment, about to call her 'majesty' as she used to when she was just a princess. They were equals now in rank, but she definitely didn't feel equal to the experienced and proven monarch.

"And Jacques," Eleonore turned her eyes on him before Manon could actually decide how best to address her. "I haven't seen you since you were just born. You've grown up very well."

"It's been a long time indeed then," he agreed, bowing his head to her. "I'm grateful we have this opportunity to be properly acquainted."

"Indeed." Her eyes swept around the enclosed dock. "It's been many years since I've been here. A lot of this is new."

"The palace docks were only constructed about ten years ago," Jacques said eagerly, his eyes beaming with pride. "They were the last project my father oversaw before his death."

"Ah. Your father. Of course." Queen Eleonore gave him a long, unreadable look. No doubt, she already knew that Jacques was not  of King Robert's blood. Manon didn't know what she was searching for in Jacques at that moment, but she felt herself tense as she prepared to leap to her husband's defense if necessary.

After a moment, however, the queen lowered her head. "I don't believe I ever offered you my condolences over his passing. I sent word to your mother when I initially heard, but I don't believe I spoke to you."

Considering he had been a child when it happened, Jacques could all but guarantee it. His mother probably hadn't heard the queen's message either, considering the state she had been in then, but he decided to keep that to himself.

By all reports, his mother and King Cyrille were healing well in the Aqua Isles. He wanted to keep it that way and just not mention her to anyone for her own well being. It would probably be best for everyone if the previous monarchs were just allowed to vanish into history.

"Thank you for your kind words," he said instead. "I only hope to live up to the example that my father set as king."

"You seem to be doing well enough of a job. I heard rumors about a girls academy that you've started in the city."

"That's Manon's project, actually," he turned his proud smile onto her.

"I'd be happy to tell you all about it," she said, smiling eagerly.

Eleonore nodded once. "I look forward to hearing the tale. For now, I'm tired from the journey and wish to rest in my room until supper."

"Of course," Jacques offered her his other arm that didn't have Manon on it. "We've prepared our finest guest suite for you."

Eleonore took his arm and Jacques smiled at Manon before leading them both into the palace proper and away from the docks. Her majesty's belongings would be brought out by the staff and her airship stored elsewhere as she would using their royal airship while she was here.

They had considered letting her ship remain in the palace docks, but eventually had to dismiss that plan out  of safety concerns. Their safety, primarily. It was unlikely that anyone would try to tamper with her ship, but it was very likely that someone, in an attempt to harm Manon, would try to either sneak aboard their ship and disable it somehow.

Even now, their personal ship hadn't been docked at one of the nearby public docks. It was hovering out over the water, down below the cliffs so it couldn't be seen and take away from Queen Eleonore's arrival, because they didn't trust their people enough to land it outside of the enclosed docks.

After escorting the visiting queen to her room, Jacques and Manon went back to their office and returned to work. They couldn't leave the queen alone the entire time she was here. There were a lot of things they were planning on doing together. However, that didn't mean their usual workload had just magically lightened. If anything, they had more to do now that she was here and even less time to do it. So, they took advantage of the few hours they had while she was resting.

Supper was a casual affair, all things told. It was just between them, Eleonore, Cy, and Felicie. The latter two were still their usual, exuberant selves, but there was a distinct lack of effort to put in as much foolishness as they usually did. Cy was eager to see his cousin and hear about how his family was doing back home. Eleonore asked when the two of them were planning to return to Lloegyr since they were splitting the year, spending summer and autumn in Vasconia and winter and spring  in Lloegyr, as both of them acted as representatives of their respective countries and neither of them wanted to surrender their home completely.

She then asked when she could expect a visit from Jacques and Manon.

"It's an important question," she said when they shared a look. "If you can safely leave your country for some weeks and it will continue to function without issue, then you know your country is strong and stable."

"Yes, that's true," Jacques' frowned.

"But I don't think we can leave Gascony for weeks," Manon finished. She hastened to add, "Not yet, anyway. I hope we get there soon."

"And approximately how long is 'soon'?" She pressed. It wasn't just her asking when friends could come to visit. She was specifically asking how long they thought it would take before their country felt stable and secure even without their direct supervision.

Jacques and Manon shared another uncertain look.

The honest answer was probably no less than a year. Not even from their coronation, but from this moment right now. There was always something that needed their attention and always something that was eating up their time. They hadn't even found the space for a proper wedding night until they forcibly added the time into the schedule, and they hadn't had a similar opportunity since. Instead, using whatever spare minutes they had to do whatever they could.

But confessing such a weakness to a foreign monarch, even to one that was as friendly as Eleonore, felt like a betrayal of their own people.

But Eleonore gave them a knowing look and it was like Manon was back under the eyes of her tutors as they were about to explain something important.

"Listen to me, both of you," she said, delicately patting her lips. Not that a single crumb of her squab pie had gotten anywhere besides in her mouth. "The only thing I want is the restoration of Gascony. The lack of trade between our kingdoms, and the heavily unfair trade agreements benefiting Vasconia I had before, has impacted my economy as well. Now, I don't regret the choices I made to help Vasconia and they are already paying me back for everything I gave them, but my people still had to pay the price for that. Your country owes no such debt, which is of benefit to you, but you also do not have the benefit of free trade that we had before and I need that back."

Jacques nodded his head once. "We understand, and we want to move forward for all of our benefit. But leaving the country anytime soon is not something Manon or I can do."

"The first years of a ruler's reign are always the hardest," Eleonore said, sitting back in her chair as she stared at them across the table. "Your people don't yet know what to expect. Sweeping changes always happen. And you are not yet comfortable in your power or with those around you. You don't know who you can trust to do what task. And especially in your case, you don't know which of your people are loyalists or traditionalists."

Manon glared to her side. "Cy! Stop telling the woman everything."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he said calmly, sipping at his wine.

"Manon," Felicie pulled her attention away from her spy/ambassador husband. "He's trying to help. And her majesty is only looking out for your best interest."

"You, Manon, are in a dangerous situation," Eleonore continued as though she hadn't been interrupted at all. "Your people are balancing on an edge where they don't know yet if they are going to love you or hate you. Every person you win over is another you drive away. Like it or not, regardless of who between you two comes up with or implements a change, all of it is going to be blamed on you. Jacques is the known factor here. The people will automatically think he's like them, no matter what, and even if he deviates from that, it will be your fault, not his."

"Yeah, we've noticed," Manon sighed. Jacques reached down and took her hand in his, giving her a supportive smile. "Nothing we do seems to make it better."

"And nothing you do will. This is something the people have to decide. Those that love you will advocate for you and your best hope is that they drown out the others. Those that hate you will likely never change their mind, regardless of the good you do, so the best you can hope for is that they just settle down and stop actively fighting against you.

"Most of all, no matter what you do, don't give them a single reason to hate you more. Don't give them an excuse to turn against you. It's not fair, but you must be perfect in the public eye. You can never dress down, you can never trip or stumble, you can never lose your temper."

"You're right, that's not fair," Jacques said, frowning. "I'm not going to be held to those same standards. Why should she?"

"Because she's an enemy and a lot of your people that are silent right now are only waiting for a reason to turn against her. They're calling it being fair, saying that they're giving her a chance, when in actuality, the only chance they're giving you is to make a public mistake." Eleonore's eyes narrowed on her in warning. "Do not give them that."

Manon's jaw was tight. The words weren't something that she wanted to hear, but she couldn't deny their truthfulness. "We're being careful. I'm being careful."

"Good. And you need to have a child as soon as possible."

Manon started as Jacques cleared his throat, rubbing the back of his neck. While true, it wasn't exactly the type of thing they expected her to bring up over the dinner table.

"I mean it," she pressed, just as serious as before. "A child between you two, preferably a son, to inherit the throne will give your people peace of mind. Because, then, they can see a peaceful end to your reign and they will be able to tell themselves that things will get better."

"And if it's a girl?" Jacques asked, speaking the same question that had immediately jumped into Manon's head.

"Hope that it is not. Teach him all of your ideals and goals, but raise him in Gascony and they will see him as one of their  own. An improvement over you. I would ever go so far as to suggest that, even if your first born is a girl, you wait to name your heir until you have a boy instead."

Manon frowned. She didn't like hearing it, but she couldn't deny that there was some logic to what Eleonore was saying. And so long as their son embodied the same ideals that they were trying to reach, it didn't really matter right?

"No," Jacques said, his voice firm as he stared back at Eleonore. A king meeting the gaze of a queen as her equal. "If our first is a girl, she will be given the title of crown princess. We cannot try to make changes and not live by those changes."

"You realize that you potentially make things more difficult for yourselves then?"

"I do and I don't care." He squeezed Manon's hand under the table. "I promised before I married Manon that I would treat her as my equal and change the laws for queens in this land. I meant it then, I mean it more now. I won't allow a few discontents that are angry over change prevent us from improving our kingdom."

Manon tensed, ready for Eleonore to snap back at him for being foolish. While Manon didn't like what she was saying, she could agree with it. And they could have a boy as their first child, making all of this a moot point.

But Jacques wasn't backing down. He remained by his convictions, and it would be a lie for her to say that she didn't find that incredibly attractive.

The corner of Queen Eleonore's mouth tilted up in approval, surprising her. "Good."

Jacques' brow cocked curiously. "Good? Though I've disagreed with you?"

"You are a king, Jacques. You don't need my approval on how to run your kingdom. All you need is the will to see it done and the best interests of your people at heart. Having a partner at your side willing to take on the work will ease your burden considerably."

"It already has," Jacques smiled at Manon.

Eleonore nodded once. "You two are going to do well. You come from two respectable lineages of kings and you were both trained by princes of the same kingdom. You were born and raised for this and you are both willful and strong. It will serve you well."

"Do you..." Manon hesitated only a moment, but the feeling of being spoken to like from a mentor made it easier for the question to fall from her lips. "Do you have any advice for the protesters? For how to stop it or ease their worries?"

"You go on exactly as you have been doing. You win hearts one person at a time." Her gaze hardened and darkened. "And you kill the son of a bitch that is trying to rip your kingdom out from under you like the worthless bug he is."

Jacques and Manon, surprised by the vehemence in her tone, started straight in their chairs. But it passed quickly and Jacques nodded once, firmly, agreeing with the order on a deep, primal level. He would have done it even if she didn't recommend it as the best option.

Manon turned a glare on Cy, still innocent sipping at his wine.

"Exactly how much do you know?" She asked, pretty sure that Firmin's return and subsequent manhunt were being kept relatively quiet.

"I know that whoever made your dress is a genius with a sewing needle," he said, quite unhelpfully, dodging the question with absolutely no subtlety.

~~~~~~

There was a ball to welcome Queen Eleonore a few days later. A big and boisterous affair that saw almost as many attendees as their first ball welcoming all the new nobles. There were only fewer nobles now because the far reaching ones hadn't been able to attend. Their new nobility was hard at work, as expected, but everyone that could was eager to perhaps make friends with a foreign queen.

Jacques and Manon, dressed in their finest, sat their thrones, pushed directly together so their sides touched. They were alone at the moment, watching out over the filled room that was filled with the glitz and glamor of wealth and good breeding.

Queen Eleonore, for all that she was a serious and stoic woman, wasn't a total bore at a party. She had been trained in social situations her entire life as well, having been born and raised in the noble class in Lloegyr. She could hold a conversation with a bush as a partner and she was well read, having at least a passing knowledge of nearly every topic brought to her.

She was also accompanied by Felicie and Cy - both of whom were always the life of the party. They could have a good time with a bush as a companion. Between the three of them, they were having no problems making friends and having fun. People seemed to have completely forgotten that Felicie was a paladin at all.

It was a rare, quiet moment for Jacques and Manon. They had been down there just a few minutes ago and had retreated to their thrones for a drink, a break, and a chance to speak. Their servants had already brought the first and Manon swirled the amber liquid in her glass, watching and making mental notes of who was making friends with whom and why.

"We have a lot we can learn from her," Jacques said, immediately drawing her attention back to Queen Eleonore, who already had something like a court of her own forming. It was mostly made of those that Cy and Felicie had already befriended, but Eleonore had ingratiated herself amongst their numbers quite quickly.

"The wisdom of experience cannot be taught, it can only be earned," Manon said, making him chuckle lightly. "When we get to her age, we will see her son ascending to be king and we will offer our wisdom to him in turn."

Jacques lifted his glass, toasting the words, before taking a long drink. He sat it down and gave her a heated look that immediately made heat bloom in her belly.

"My queen, I've suddenly thought of something very important and sensitive that I simply must tell you before I forget."

"Here and now?"

"Here and just out of sight," he corrected, standing and offering his hand.

A few of the guests looked their way, but most were either involved in their own groups or trying to get into the queen's and didn't notice. Besides, they were already hours into the party. At this point, it wasn't a big deal if the king and queen hosting it vanished for a few minutes.

Manon tried to hide her eagerness behind a mask of aloof stoicism as she allowed her husband to pull her through the guarded door, hidden behind drapes that were framing their thrones, there specifically and solely for their use.

The guards said nothing when Jacques informed them that would be back and their faces remained blank, professional, and impassive when he pulled her into the first room he found, almost slamming the door behind them in his haste to push her against it and kiss her deeply.

Manon was just as eager for him, grabbing him by the collar and jerking him in close as she attempted to climb him in her formal evening gown.

"You're gorgeous tonight," he growled into the kiss, his hands clutching into her hips like he was barely resisting raising her skirts right there.

Restraint that she both appreciated and resented. As much as she wanted him to do just that, tupping her in what appeared to be an unused storage closet would definitely leave her mussed and it would be obvious what happened when they returned.

"Would you let me make love to you wearing my coat? And only my coat?" He asked, not quite fully pulling his lips from hers as he did.

Manon moaned softly, loving the idea. He chuckled, grinding against her.

"So beautiful, but I wish those skirts weren't in my way."

She couldn't help but agree as she ran her fingers through his new beard. It was growing in really well and she loved the roughness of it against her face, in her fingers, between her thighs. She really liked it when it was there.

It also made Jacques look so masculine and mature. She had asked him to grow the beard on a whim, but she was in love with it now. It almost seemed unfair for him to change and do nothing for him in turn.

"Jacques," she panted, pulling her lips from his. He only continued to kiss down her exposed neck, pulling at her bodice with a single finger as though he were debating trying to see if he could yank it down and expose her breasts without ruining the dress or her dignity. "Is there, ugh... Is there something about my appearance you want to change?"

"Yes, I would dearly like it if you were wearing less clothes right now." He trailed his tongue up the slope of her collarbone, kissing up her neck, then began to suck and gently nibble along the dangling lobe of her ear.

"No, that's not-" She broke off with a gasp and tremble as he continued to tease the incredibly sensitive flesh. "I mean, do you wish I had longer hair or a fuller figure or... anything."

"Just less clothes."

"Be serious."

"I absolutely am." He leaned back, pulling his lips from her ear but also bringing up her hand so he could continue kissing her palm and the inside of her wrist, looking her in the eye the entire time. "You want to grow your hair to your waist then cut it off at the root, I won't mind. I enjoy the way you look regardless. You don't need hair to put your legs around my waist, and that is when you are at your most beautiful. So, do whatever you like and I will appreciate the show."

"You are incorrigible," she said, laughing as he began to lick and suck at the soft skin at the juncture of her elbow.

"My wife makes me insatiable," he said, smirking down at her. "Turn around. Bend over and put your hands on the door."

Manon started in surprise. "Jacques, you can't mean to... The party is still going on."

"I'll be careful of your hair, and you dress." He ran his fingers down her spine. "And I'll double check to make sure it looks natural. But I can't wait anymore. Turn around."

Manon hesitated, but she was starting to obey when-

"Your majesties! You're needed immediately!" One of the guards yelled through the door, his tone hurried. Almost panicked.

Neither of them hesitated now. Manon, closer to the door, grabbed the latch and threw it open, allowing Jacques to proceed her back into the hall.

"What is it?" He asked the guard, looking past him to the open door leading into the ballroom. Felicie was standing there, looking grim.

A hard pit sunk in Manon's stomach at the sight.

If effervescent Felicie was made so serious, it had to be bad.

But Manon still wasn't ready for the news that met them when they rushed back into the suddenly still and quiet ballroom. One of the city guard, in his soot covered uniform, was kneeling on the ground in front of their thrones, his expression tight, dirtied from ash and sweat.

"Your majesties," he bowed his head as they rushed to stand before their thrones. Neither of them bothered to sit, already too wound up just by his expression.

"Speak. What happened?" Jacques demanded, his hands already clenched into fists.

The man shook his head, his eyes still on the floor. "I don't know. I'm sorry, sire. No one witnessed it. One minute, it was quiet, then there was this rumble and suddenly the walls were falling and there was green fire everywhere."

Blue-green fire meant airship fuel. Gasps echoed through the gathered nobility.

"Where?" Manon asked, stepping forward. "What walls? What caught on fire?"

"The... The girl's academy, your majesty," he said, his voice low in apology.

She stopped breathing as the floor seemed to drop out from underneath her.

The academy that she had toured just days prior. All the new classrooms. How excited the students had been to take their lessons there.

"It's burned down?" She breathed, her heart breaking.

"It's burning down," he corrected. "We can't get the fire under control."

She wasn't surprised. Airship fuel burned hot and it burned long and water wasn't sufficient to put it out. That's what made it so useful in arson and war.

But to turn that on a school?

Jacques put a hand on her shoulder, trying to offer her some small measure of comfort as she put her hand over her mouth, holding back a sob.

"The headmaster was in his room at the back of the academy, but he got out fine," the guard said, making her feel deep dread then sharp relief in equal measure in the span of a single sentence. "The boarding rooms of the school weren't complete yet, so no one was staying inside. He said that no one should have been there, but he's already sent messengers around to check on all the staff and students in their homes and temporary lodgings. We should know if they're all okay in the hour."

Manon trembled, grateful that she had moved up the opening of the school despite the boarding rooms not being finished yet. The only students applying lived in and around Ambraude, so she had thought it wouldn't matter that there was nowhere for the students to live yet. And since no one lived there yet, the attack had only hurt stone and wood.

For there was no doubt in her mind that it was an attack. Using airship fuel was not only deliberate, it was also a message, as Vasconia had used airship fuel in abundance in their bombs that they had dropped on Gascony as they invaded the country. And the fact that it had been her school, her project that had been targeted, made the message less than subtle.

Jacques was pumping the man for information - How long had it been burning? What was being done about it? Did they need reinforcements? - but Manon was still reeling from just how personal and deliberate that attack had been.

Somehow, it hurt worse than the attempted assassinations. At least those had been direct and only tried to take her life. The cruelty of stealing something from these girls that had just been given to them, that they loved and had eagerly been looking forward to, just hurt. And it hurt worse knowing that others would suffer because of their hatred for her.

She was still reeling when Jacques told Queen Eleonore that she was free to enjoy the party, but he and Manon had to go deal with this. She didn't fight him as he took her hand and pulled her from the room, jerking her out of her position and her thoughts.

"How could they do this?" Manon asked as Jacques walked quickly down the halls, bringing her back to their office. "It was a school. It was just a school!"

"It was not 'we'. It was 'he'," Jacques corrected, his jaw tight with anger.

"He? You mean, Firmin?"

"This has his signature all over it. He's quite good at personal attacks like this. He always seemed to know just how to hurt someone. For a man that feels nothing, he's actually surprisingly good at manipulating the emotions of others. The bastard."

Manon shook her head. Not really disagreeing with Jacques, just filled with disbelief that he could be so cruel. That anyone could be so cruel.

There were already people waiting for them outside of their office. Another guard, a city official, Emilien himself.

Manon hadn't actually heard any of the information the guard in the throne room had given, but it didn't matter because she heard it all again as they took up their positions at their desk and began to coordinate the efforts to put out the fire.

No one had actually seen what happened. The night had been still and quiet until it had suddenly been wracked by a boom. The fire had burst up out of the center of the school and, whatever had exploded when it went off had brought down the entire eastern side. Luckily, the headmaster's home in the back had been spared long enough for him to escape, though it was apparently burning now. The flames were still blue-green in the middle of the school, where they were still feeding off of airship fuel, but they were orange elsewhere.

It was the orange fire they were trying to get under control. There was nothing that could be done about airship fuel. It just had to burn itself out. Experiments had been done in Gascony to try to find a fast and efficient way to put out airship fuel after Vasconia began using it as a weapon, but nothing had been found that could do it easily, and especially not on such a grand scale.

Moreover, a message had been found nailed to the front gates, out of the reach of the fire and the first thing the rescue workers would see. It had been brought to the palace. The dark ink on torn parchment had been written in bold, angry slashes.

Bring back the true queen.

Her academy was lost and the people who burned it were calling for the return of the mad queen in their hatred of her.

And that was the hardest thing to hear. Manon was ashamed to say that Jacques was doing most of the work as she kept reeling from the blows. The fire, the deliberate nature of it, the message, and the motive behind it all.

Senseless and violent and dangerous.

The fire continued burning throughout the night. The fire line bringing buckets and the hoses draining water from the ocean worked together and managed to keep it from spreading, even putting out the orange flames that were born from the blue ones.

But nothing stopped the airship fuel.

It wasn't until early dawn began to pinken the sky that the central fire finally turned orange as the last of the fuel was devoured and they were finally able to put it out. As the sun rose over Ambraude, the academy was nothing but a pile of smoking ash and stone from walls that had crumbled from the force of the explosion.

Jacques told her not to, but she couldn't help but want to go down herself.

Still wearing her ballgown, her hair free of its pins since she had ripped them out in her worry through the night, she led the way from the aircab. Royal guards, including Amorette, flanked her on either side, while Jacques kept pace with her. He hadn't wanted her to come, he thought it was too risky, but he wasn't going to let her go alone.

Manon didn't stop until she was standing in front of the rubble that, only days ago, had been a beautiful and happy school.

Now, it was nothing.

There were still people here. Poking through the debris. Making sure every last ember had been doused so the fire couldn't restart. Others were walking around, servants to the crown, investigating how the fire had started and looking for clues as to who had started it.

The headmaster was here as well. He was talking to the staff that all had frowns pulling at their faces, no doubt worried about their jobs and livelihoods. A few of the students were gathered around him, but the majority of them were spread out - either picking through the ashes, helping to locate glowing embers, or, in a few cases, weeping as they stared at all they had lost.

There was also a crowd. Gawkers and spectators that had come to stare. Not just at the ruins created by the fire, but also at their queen as she sullied the hem of her ballgown walking through the damp ash that coated the walkways, staring around with an open, sad expression.

She couldn't do anything here. She couldn't help at all. But she had to witness what had happened with her own eyes. Even though it hurt her heart like lashes against her chest.

This was something she had built, something she had been proud of, even if she didn't appreciate her education growing up, she knew the girls who came here did. A step forward. A hope for the future she wanted to bring.

Brought to dirty ash and fallen rocks.

"Manon." Jacques came to her side, touching her shoulder gently. "The guards are getting nervous. The crowd is too big. We should go back home."

"Just a bit longer," she begged, her hands fists in her skirts.

"Don't hurt yourself like this."

"I'm not hurting myself." She turned her eyes onto him and he was startled to see that they were now hard with anger. "I'm memorizing everything that was done here. I don't want to forget or miss a single detail."

"Manon..."

She turned to him, her stained skirts flaring out around her with the sharp movement. "We will find the asshole that did this, Jacques, and he will be punished."

He blinked, startled only for a second more, before his own expression hardened. He had been so worried that Manon had been hurting over this that he hadn't been sure how to react to it. He had to make sure she was okay before he could do anything.

Seeing her sorrow and shock turn into rage pleased him greatly. Manon was strong, and he knew that. A thing like this, though traumatic, wasn't going to keep her down. She wasn't going to cry or hide or wallow in pity.

Instead, she became righteously angry. She had no emotions towards the man who tried to kill her and she gave forgiveness to the man who attacked and insulted her.

But this attack was against her people. Those who truly suffered here were others, not herself. And that was a slight she would not forgive or forget.

Turning from him, she marched across the yard. She approached the headmaster and, though Jacques couldn't hear exactly what was said, he knew she was doing something more than just offering her condolences.

The headmaster looked surprised at her vehemence, then he sort of nodded numbly along with whatever she was saying before he started in surprise. He blinked multiple times then sort of half bowed, still confused, as Manon turned on her heel and stomped back to him.

"Come. I'm done," she said, marching past him.

Jacques fell in step with her. "What did you say to him?"

"I told him to let the know the staff still had jobs and the students still had classes."

Jacques cocked a single brow. "You're not planning on them learning in the rubble, so where are these classes going to be held?"

"Where else? At the palace." She fixed him with a hard glare. "I am going to rebuild this academy, and it's going to be even better than before. It's going to take some time, but I will see it done. Until then, they need a safe place to learn so I offered them the castle."

Jacques chuckled. She wasn't asking him if that was okay or if he approved. Not that she needed to or he didn't, but it still pleased him to see her acting like, well, a queen. A queen did not ask for approval, she simply commanded and the people obeyed.

Past queens of Gascony had to rely on their kings to turn their words into commands, and while the majority of his predecessors were good men, there had been those that hadn't cared for their queens enough to respect them that much.

But he didn't have to worry about either scenario. Not only was Manon a true queen who would see her will done no matter what, but thanks to her, he wouldn't have to worry about his daughter's or granddaughters not marrying respectable men and being ignored.

This was terrible, but he got to see his wife's strength shine through and he couldn't help but admire the beauty in that.

~~~~~~

Manon fully intended on going to bed after she got back to the palace. She had sent a message to Arnaud telling him to have a space prepared for the students and to make sure it was near the library so they had access to the books within for their studies.

However, she only managed to get into the bath when she heard the familiar yells of the protesters that had gathered with the coming of the morning.

And they were louder today than usual.

So much so that she rushed through her bath, dressed quickly, then went to find Jacques. Only to discover that he was already waiting for her to emerge from her bathing chamber.

"You hear them?" He asked, face grim.

"What are they yelling about?" Manon asked as he began leading her through the halls. Towards their office and away from their bedroom.

Sleep would apparently have to wait.

"They're calling for the true queen," Jacques said, his voice soft but the words hard.

"The true... No one read that note but us, right?"

"And whoever might have seen it when it was found and if anyone happened to catch a glimpse as it was brought here." He shook his head. "And I doubt whoever left it was trying to be subtle about his message. It could have come from anywhere and anyone."

Manon frowned, stopping and facing him. There was something else on his face. A deeper sense of dread than just the return of the protesters.

"What is it?" She asked, already uneasy.

He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "They... They're blaming you. For the fire."

"For the..." Manon shook her head. "No. It's my academy that burned down. They're saying I burned down my own academy?"

"The attack, using airship fuel as an accelerant, is a Vasconian style attack. They all know to fear the blue fires and you're the most prominent Vasconian here."

"It's also my academy," she stressed again. "What possible reason do they think I have for burning something I helped build?"

Jacques shook his head. "They're not really using reason and logic right now. Some are saying you're just evil and evil people do evil things. Others are saying that you're doing it to punish Gascony for the war. And others still are saying it's actually the Lord's divine punishment upon you for daring to give women higher education."

"I cannot-' She cut off on a frustrated growl, rubbing her temples aggressively.

"They don't need a reason to hate you, but they're providing them for themselves and they're picking whatever reason suits them best."

"Why does it sound like there's so many?"

"Because there are." He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "The entire area in front of the gate is filled with people. The usual soldiers can't get out there to offer bread and water either. They're all yelling for the true queen."

"Your mother, you mean."

"Yes."

"They do realize that they would lose you as king if Sabine came back, right?"

Jacques shrugged, not entirely sure what his people were thinking. Most of them didn't know the queen was ill and no one, aside from those who had cared for her directly - three women who were still employed for appearances sake - knew just how bad it was. They were so lost in their hatred for Manon, they weren't thinking of anything else.

"Your majesties."

They both turned as a palace servant, a young man, approached. He bowed at the waist.

"There's a man who came requesting your presence. He's in the blue drawing room. I asked for his name, but he refused to give it. I can get rid of him if you prefer, of course, but members of your guard said that I should just tell you he's-"

"That's fine," Jacques cut him off with a kind smile to show he wasn't displeased. "Thank you. We'll see him immediately."

Manon had to resist running to the blue drawing room. It had to be Gosse, which meant he was bringing them more information.

Sure enough, when the two of them stepped into the room, it was Gosse who stood. Unlike last time, he wasn't covered in soot and sweat, but there were deep bags under his eyes and he moved slow, like he was fatigued.

"Your majesties," he said, his voice breathless and weak. "Forgive me for not warning you or getting here sooner."

"You're fine, Gosse," Manon said, rushing to his side. "I'm glad to see you're all right. Please, sit down. Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"I wouldn't say no to water, if I may."

Jacques nodded and went to the door. He called out for a tray to be brought then remained there to take it from the servant who brought it without letting them in. It was a testament to how tired Gosse must be that he didn't even give a token protest to the king waiting on him. He just grabbed the chalice of water and quickly drank it back, and though he hadn't asked for food, a simple breakfast had been provided that he also immediately began to eat.

Manon and Jacques said nothing, watching as he nearly inhaled the food. He barely gave himself time to chew. He seemed to need the sustenance, so though they both had questions, they waited until he swallowed down the last of the food, following it with big gulps of water, before Manon finally spoke again.

"What happened?" She asked immediately, worrying the fabric of her skirt.

Gosse dropped the chalice back onto the tray with a dull thud, wiping at his mouth. He was breathing fast from how quickly he had eaten but already he looked more energized.

"Forgive me. It's been a couple days," he said by way of explanation, earning a disapproving frown from Manon that he pretended not to see. Instead, he focused on Jacques who was sitting across from both of them. "Firmin was the one who planned the fire. I'm sure you're not surprised."

"It's hardly news, but it's good to have it confirmed," Jacques said as Manon poured Gosse more water that he accepted with a quiet thanks. "Did you know about it?"

Gosse shook his head. "None of us knew. He has his own inner circle now, composed of the top leaders of the loyalists. They're the only ones who knew. I don't think he's outed me as a spy, but he clearly knows that someone is. There's been whispers around the group and every now and then, someone starts asking very pointed questions."

"Are you going to be all right?" Manon asked, touching his arm gently.

"If I'm found, probably not." He smirked confidently. "They have to find me first though. Don't lose sleep over me, your majesty. I can handle myself and I'm hardly worth it."

"I'll determine who's worthy of my worry, thanks," she grumbled.

He smiled shyly, pleased, but he continued. "None of us knew anything. I figured something was up, because we were all busy these last few days. I was sent to go around and tell everyone in the city about the true queen. To spread the word about her. To remind everyone that Queen Sabine embodied what it meant to be a queen and that Queen Manon is not only an impostor, but she's making a mockery of it by changing everything and trying to force women to be things the Lord never intended."

"Narrow minded fools," Manon grumbled. "Surely, not everyone agreed with you?"

Gosse shook his head. "You'll be pleased to know that only a small number of people even cared to listen to what I was told to say. Most of your people are pleased with you, your majesty, and would never think to turn against you."

"Until this morning," Jacques said, frowning.

"I haven't slept because, in between the smear campaign, I've been trying to figure out what they were doing. I'm sorry that I failed you. I truly had no idea what was happening until the academy was already in flames. But while you were busy putting it out and making sure no students and staff were harmed, the traditionalists were spreading rumors.

"They say that you orchestrated the attack in order to incriminate them. That you're looking for a reason to gather up everyone who disagrees with you so you can execute them."

"That's absurd!" Manon gasped.

"They're using all the executions to now as proof."

"Executions of assassins," Jacques growled, angered. "That I ordered. Manon had nothing to do with most of those."

"I know that and you know that, but the explosion was loud and there was a lot of damage nearby. People are frightened. The fact that the fire was started using barrels of airship fuel is being used as proof that she was the one that ordered it."

"They really believe I'm that stupid?" Manon snapped, insulted now on top of everything. "If I was going to burn down my academy to frame traditionalists, the last thing I would use to do it would be airship fuel!"

Gosse sighed. "The sad thing is, they do believe you're that stupid. And most of them are eager to hate you and believe the worst in you, so they don't need much convincing."

"Queen Eleonore just warned us about this," she sighed, sharing a look with Jacques.

She had told her to be perfect, to not give the people a single reason to turn against her because so many were waiting for it.

She hadn't even done anything though and they still turned.

Her enemies caused a problem and blamed her for it. Essentially, doing exactly what they were accusing her of doing. And doing it when she had been too busy fixing the problem to realize exactly what they were trying to accomplish.

And now all those people that had just been waiting for her to mess up were joining those who had been yelling about her since the beginning.

"Manon?" Jacques called to her gently. "Are you okay?"

"No, I'm not." She jumped to her feet, her face burning with anger. "I'm sick of all this. I don't care if they want to turn against me, but leave innocent people out of it!"

She raged, pacing up and down the room to try to burn off the furious energy. The last thing she wanted was to snap and growl outside of the room. That would be doing something that might turn the people against her.

It wasn't fair, but it was how the game was played.

Jacques and Gosse watched her grumble and pace for a moment before looking back at each other.

"What are they saying about the true queen?" Jacques asked, leaving Manon alone for the moment to get it out.

Gosse sat back into the chair, crossing his arms. "They've made her out to be this perfect figure. The ideal example of femininity."

"You mean my insane mother who couldn't take care of herself and screamed at random moments? That ideal example of femininity?"

"The people don't know about that. They only know that she was a quiet, beautiful woman who allowed her council to rule in the way proper queens should."

"She was neither quiet nor beautiful at the end," Jacques said, annoyed. "But you're right. No one knew about that because we never let anyone know about that."

"Precisely. They've built her up as this false ideal in their minds and nothing anyone says to them can change it."

"And how does that work with me being king?"

"You're so young and it would be better for you not to be king. It would give you more time to learn but also more time to just be young and get your wild oats sewn."

"I'm already married. I don't have wild oats any longer."

"Naturally, no one believes that you should actually remain married to the false queen. Some are calling for her death, but most are saying she should just be sent back to Vasconia and your marriage annulled by the Sacellum."

"That's not going to happen," Jacques said, his voice hard as Manon continued her relentless pacing, the only sign she even heard them in the flashing of her eyes.

"They don't even have to worry about the war restarting, and they seem to know it. No one has even mentioned it continuing as a possibility. They seem to genuinely believe that if Queen Sabine returns, everything will be just as it was before the war."

"The war wouldn't restart, even if something did happen to me," Manon said, finally coming to a halt, her arms crossing over her chest. "Erec and I have agreed that I've taken my life into my own hands by coming here. I've forbidden him from seeking revenge if one of the citizenry actually succeeds in their assassination attempts."

"Luckily, I have made no such vows," Jacques added darkly. "And should my queen be murdered, I will not rest until those responsible are punished."

"Easy, my king," Manon said, stepping closer so she could run her fingers through his hair. "That line of thinking was exactly what made my father crazed at the end."

"I never said I didn't understand King Cyrille," Jacques said, putting his arm around her hips. "But I will promise not to harm anyone who was not implicit in the act. Fair?"

"Fair," she agreed, leaning down to kiss his forehead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 451 16
Second in the Paladins Series: For the last decade or more Prince Erec has been trained by the head paladin, Nina Benoite, in the arts of combat, war...
12 1 5
This marks the real beginning of a long journey, of pain, suffering, and losses. As ordinary as a journey may start, no one is capable of guessing wh...
5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...
1.3K 144 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...